Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

hanales posted:

So evidently Frost is awesome now.

wasnt it always awesome, its just that the weapons applied so little of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Kewpuh posted:

wasnt it always awesome, its just that the weapons applied so little of it?

pretty much

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

vordt's great hammer used to be pure poo poo, now it's loving retarded

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'd use Vordt's but the frosty effect on that weapon is very distracting.

Did they end up making the Cathedral Knight mace worth using? I loooove greathammers, but I hate super ornate or extravagant looking weapons, and that weapon looks perfect and simple but it was reaaally bad.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for getting summoned? I used to sunbro a lot. Coming back to the game now (PC), I am having a tough time getting summoned anywhere. Standing outside of abyss watchers right now, SL33. No bites at all. Am I doing something wrong? I would think that things should be pretty active this weekend, to get ready for the DLC.

Easier to find signs layed down near the bonfire, not the fog gate. At least in my experience.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Easier to find signs layed down near the bonfire, not the fog gate. At least in my experience.

This, though I think the weapon level will make it a bit more difficult.

Just finished the first dlc at level 70. Used the slab to get my onyx blade to +5. Got a few chunks to get my pyro hand upgraded a bit more. Black fire orb really rips it up. Think I'll take down ocierus and save dragons til I see the next dlc (want to do it close to expected level). Then burn through it with my 2 ng complete dudes and an ng+.

Really hope we see an update like scholar in awhile. Really liked that ng+ throws some new stuff at you instead of just tougher enemies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never done any invasions in DS3 before, but I just tried it in the Catacombs and...

I joined a world (as a mad phantom because purple is the prettiest color) with a host and a sunbro, they waved and I waved back. Two seconds later a red phantom invades, so I kill it. Then a blue phantom comes to their aid and I kill that one too :haw: I hate to admit it, but this is kinda fun.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for getting summoned? I used to sunbro a lot. Coming back to the game now (PC), I am having a tough time getting summoned anywhere. Standing outside of abyss watchers right now, SL33. No bites at all. Am I doing something wrong? I would think that things should be pretty active this weekend, to get ready for the DLC.

put your summon sign by the bonfires. you could put them by the fog gates when the DLC comes out, but usually after a week most people just summon whatevers right next to them via bonfires (since less people would be playing by then)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Question: do I need to be Hollow to get all the benefits of an Anri's build?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there an easy way to rack up a bunch of souls fast? I've been meaning to buy a bunch of titanite to upgrade stuff. I'm in the postgame with the DLC so everything is open for me.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

HaB posted:

Question: do I need to be Hollow to get all the benefits of an Anri's build?

For Anri's itself, nope, just need Luck. Anri's doesn't interact with being Hollow at all afaik. However if you want to use the Hollow infusion (which you do if you want to use any other weapon with a Luck build aside from the Man Grub Staff) you need a minimum of 15 Hollowing to get the free +5 Luck.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

AttackBacon posted:

For Anri's itself, nope, just need Luck. Anri's doesn't interact with being Hollow at all afaik. However if you want to use the Hollow infusion (which you do if you want to use any other weapon with a Luck build aside from the Man Grub Staff) you need a minimum of 15 Hollowing to get the free +5 Luck.

Roger that. Thanks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is vordt's hammer worth a poo poo now or is it still a fancy paperweight

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
aw man I looked at the leaked DLC weapon list and it looks like we aren't getting a channeler's trident. I went through DS1 & DS2 on a trident run and was hoping to do it for this game too. I guess I could do a pitch-fork run but it's not the same :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

I've been spanking people with it in the arena a bit. Seems pretty solid: I mean, it's a slow weapon so it's still out-classed by faster weapons but it holds its own amongst other slow weapons. Frostbite seems to proc in ~3 hits (2 for some, which is real nice since you got the guaranteed 2 hit r1 combo).

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Today I learned that the ring of sacrifice doesn't save your souls if you die to curse. :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Today I learned that the ring of sacrifice doesn't save your souls if you die to curse. :negative:

I was gonna pithily link to a wiki page on the rare ring of sacrifice but then I realized that's not actually in this game. Guess they removed it cause curse is such a non-entity in this one.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

hit the poise breakpoint and its pretty strong. procs after a couple of hits now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hmm, i'm tempted to just run a gimmick character that uses vordt's hammer now, since i tried it before and the thing was kind of disappointing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've always favored medium weapons like straight swords, spears and the occasional greatsword over things like ultra greatswords and hammers... but I think I've just seen the light :stare:

This Cathedral Knight Greatsword run might be my most overpowered yet. It only took something like three parries and a poke to kill Sulyvahn??? With the changes to poise and armor I don't have a problem with any enemy either despite not using a shield, I just oneshot everything while facetanking the puny damage they inflict on me. This is way too much fun!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Desperate Character posted:

aw man I looked at the leaked DLC weapon list and it looks like we aren't getting a channeler's trident. I went through DS1 & DS2 on a trident run and was hoping to do it for this game too. I guess I could do a pitch-fork run but it's not the same :negative:

You could bident it up?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There are almost no decent faith weapons in the first half the game are there? I can go blessed, but that tends to be a damage nerf over just straight Fire/Raw, or I guess I could try and grab the Onyx blade. Is there anything I'm missing, or am I stuck until I get the coal from Anor Lando for Lightning weapons?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

hit the poise breakpoint and its pretty strong. procs after a couple of hits now

two hits is the word about it. two or three and you're there

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

There are almost no decent faith weapons in the first half the game are there? I can go blessed, but that tends to be a damage nerf over just straight Fire/Raw, or I guess I could try and grab the Onyx blade. Is there anything I'm missing, or am I stuck until I get the coal from Anor Lando for Lightning weapons?

There's Wolnir's sword, but otherwise you're stuck with fire/raw until you get the giant's coal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there an easy way to rack up a bunch of souls fast? I've been meaning to buy a bunch of titanite to upgrade stuff. I'm in the postgame with the DLC so everything is open for me.

You have two zones that are easy to get a lot of souls.

First one (and my favourite) is the Anor Londo stairway with two silver knights and a red eyed silver knight. If I'm not mistaken, it's 20k souls (with mimic head, shield and silver ring) per run, and they're drat easy and fast to kill. A single run with decent weapons can be just a minute or a minute and a half if you are agressive enough.

Second one is at the very top of Lothric Castle, farming the three gold winged knights. They're around 78k souls per run (4 mins aprox).

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm bad at the second one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really prefer Anor Londo silver knights since you can pay little attention since by endgame levels, you will probably two or three shot them and is pretty much risk-free. I also hate the run you have to make for the winged knights.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The one I've always used for soul farming is first bonfire Archdragon Peak. Incredibly fast (it's just the 4 man-serpents right near the bonfire) and with good, upgraded weapons all the enemies can be 1-2 shot.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

First bonfire of Archdragon Peak. Kill the four fuckers that come right before the bonfire. With the right gear it'll take about 60 seconds per lap.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The Lothric Castle bonfire with the Red Knight next to it is very quick. Less than 10 seconds per run including getting back to the bonfire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Use Rapport on the winged knights fight. If they don't kill one another for you, they'll just stand there and eat poo poo. Really Rapport is good enough that almost every character can make use of it, it's only a whooping 15 INT to use. You do need to save Karla though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

skasion posted:

Use Rapport on the winged knights fight. If they don't kill one another for you, they'll just stand there and eat poo poo. Really Rapport is good enough that almost every character can make use of it, it's only a whooping 15 INT to use. You do need to save Karla though.

Yeah with shield of want and silver serpent ring you get over 100K a run with minimal work.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Haven't played since beating the game in May last year. Gonna check out the first DLC now. Is there any significant changes to the game? Looks like I was running a heavy battle axe with 30 str, 20 faith, 20 intell for some reason.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 26, 2017

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

You could bident it up?

its not the same without the dancing. I guess I'll do a complete run with the Dark Fist or something.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I haven't played since October and it really shows. Took me like 10 tries to beat Nameless King. 1 try to get used to camera controls, 7 tries to start dodging only like poo poo rather than literally just dodging between attacks and getting hit every one, and 2 tries to actually kill. I skipped using my slow-rear end Onyx Blade and went for Black Flame instead since they were doing pretty similar damage but I could get two Flames in most openings versus only one swing and he went down real fast. Better do a bit more playing in the next couple times to get back in the zone.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Gerblyn posted:

Are there any good dedicated faith weapons anywhere in the game? Magic has MLG + a DLC2 weapon, Pyro has Onyx Blade + a DLC2 weapon, but faith seems to be left with finding the best raw weapon and buffing it, or finding the best regular weapon and hoping for good lightning scaling, and the best candidates all have steep-ish requirements for a 60 faith build.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Lothric knight greatsword :shrug: and I guess the rose of ariandel but, I've literally only seen it used successfully once.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I like killing the respawning Drakeblood knight in Archdragon. Hornet ring/Lloyd's sword plus a big rear end weapon means he's nearly dead from the backstab opener and can be hit once more and caput. You can pretty much stand in one place and do it mindlessly. He doesn't have any drops though so if you're low on chunks the manserpents might be better.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Hey, has anyone gotten a Giant Seed since the update? I've been invaded like 10 times I figured one would be guaranteed by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

hampig posted:

Are there any good dedicated faith weapons anywhere in the game? Magic has MLG + a DLC2 weapon, Pyro has Onyx Blade + a DLC2 weapon, but faith seems to be left with finding the best raw weapon and buffing it, or finding the best regular weapon and hoping for good lightning scaling, and the best candidates all have steep-ish requirements for a 60 faith build.

Yeah there really aren't any great Faith-scaling weapons out there in my experience. I never ended up getting it because I missed the Sirris questline on my first playthrough and I haven't done NG+ on my Faith character yet but I hear Dragonslayer's Axe is basically the best weapon for Faith builds because it's got inbuilt Lightning damage AND you can infuse/buff it, so make it Raw and it's got 262/210 phys/lit at +10, and you can buff it with Lightning Blade for another 100+ Lightning Damage which makes it a very respectable split-damage weapon for a one-hander. Personally I got a lot of use out of a Lightning infused Astora Greatsword.