Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the success or failure of this film is going to rely entirely on Aquaman, who's pretty legit here. It could rely on WW as well, but it's hard to say until after July.

Okay, I gave Flash's blue lightning a chance and I don't like it. It's like they were afraid to make the film any less blue than they could conceivably manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like the trailer and since I don't have to pay I'll probably see it but at the same time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I think the success or failure of this film is going to rely entirely on Aquaman, who's pretty legit here. It could rely on WW as well, but it's hard to say until after July.

I feel as though Wonder Woman will get a pretty positive response (no real reason, granted; just a sort of feeling I have) but on the off chance it does not, the idea of Aquaman going on to become the first unequivocally beloved movie in the DCEU is pretty... not exactly funny but definitely something.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

People always bitch about CGI in trailers. It's not the finished product. Doomsday looked like rear end in the trailer and pretty drat good in the film.

Apart from the second sentence being entirely wrong, this is a much better rebuttal than "puppets don't look like real people."

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

[...]the idea of Aquaman going on to become the first unequivocally beloved movie in the DCEU is pretty... not exactly funny but definitely something.

Not the hero DC needs, but the hero it deserves.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, it looks like they're trying way too hard with Aquaman in everything I've seen of him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

The problem is he looks like poo poo.

e: You bring up the T-800 as if that wasn't also distracting. That's the issue, it's distracting. It's not even just that he's CG, it's that he's overdesigned as hell.

That's a very different thing, though! Even if Cyborg were designed in a way you like, he'd still be CG.

And T-800 continues to look amazing. I'm kind of astonished I'd have to defend it.

haitfais posted:

Apart from the second sentence being entirely wrong, this is a much better rebuttal than "puppets don't look like real people."

It's not that puppets don't look like people, it's that puppets look like puppets (and CG looks like CG)--and that's fine.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This feels like the most minor of nitpicks in how somebody said something possible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a very different thing, though! Even if Cyborg were designed in a way you like, he'd still be CG.

And T-800 continues to look amazing. I'm kind of astonished I'd have to defend it.

It's not that puppets don't look like people, it's that puppets look like puppets (and CG looks like CG)--and that's fine.

Bad CG is good, actually, is all I'm getting from this

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Schwarzwald posted:

Not when the CG is supposed to be taken as a person in a live action movie, especially when there are actual people present to compare it to. However, Rhyno makes a fair point. I'll wait for the final product.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haitfais posted:

How is the second sentence wrong? The always polish CG right up til release. There's side by side videos on youtube showing the changes in Doomsday from the trailer to final film.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because Doomsday is pretty much the epitome of "generic terrible looking CGI hellbeast that shows up in the third act"

E: I will say he's not helped by BvS as a whole being too dark, by which I mean under-lit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only step down from Doomsday is generic evil cloud of evil.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Their Aquaman seems like just "underwater Thor" which is probably the best direction to take him for a movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It looks like Aquaman edges towards Brave and the Bold Aquaman in that trailer. I hope, even if I expect to be disappointed, that they get him all the way there by the end of the movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wonder Woman should thank that goon for selling the missed kick for her.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, he was also giving me some Thor vibes when he was surfing the Batmobile and hopped off into some Parademons. I'm fine with that, I like Thor. Batfleck is pretty good, I liked his flat "I'm rich." line. The rest was just whatever. Can't say I particularly care much since the other 3 in the continuity left a lot to be desired. Honestly though, I've enjoyed them more as they've progressed. Hated MoS, wavy hand to BvS, and a strangely entertaining mess from Suicide Squad. If Justice League can get by with an "It was alright" I'll take it.

I think the heart attack does so much more for Clark's character if Pa Kent has to die. At the moment it's something as simple as a tornado or a gunshot or something Superman could prevent with any combination of his 20 or so superpowers, a lot is lost.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Codependent Poster posted:

Wonder Woman should thank that goon for selling the missed kick for her.

She totally kicked the side of his foot with enough force to make him fall :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She does have super strength.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Air slash kick. It's very anime.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Whoaaa this is great news

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

haitfais posted:

Not when the CG is supposed to be taken as a person in a live action movie, especially when there are actual people present to compare it to. However, Rhyno makes a fair point. I'll wait for the final product.

I guess? It really doesn't bother me it all, personally.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pretty cool that they got Frank Gehry to do character design on Cyborg for the movie.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'What're your super powers?' 'I'm rich.' got a smirk out of me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well now they're just ripping off Superbat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah shame on DC for ripping off themselves.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wasn't exactly being serious there, rhyno

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's no Power Rangers thread in CineD, so I'll post here that I quite enjoyed that.
After recent superhero movies, I really appreciated that the film only got brighter as the battle scenes happened.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Things in chronological order that bothered me about bvs:
The bat tornado that he said was a dream and then they just don't say anything else about
Why is a billionaire driving a cheap rear end jeep?
Why weren't they evacuating buildings when a giant loving spaceship showed up and started wrecking poo poo?

This is in the first 8 minutes of the movie, and the rest is the same sequence of WTF after WTF imo.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's no Power Rangers thread in CineD, so I'll post here that I quite enjoyed that.
After recent superhero movies, I really appreciated that the film only got brighter as the battle scenes happened.

As a life long fan I was shocked how much more I liked the civilian half of the movie more than the Ranger battle at the end. That last 30 minutes just felt really rushed and nothing had room to breathe. Aside from that they really nailed the whole team aspect better that any recent superhero movie that comes to mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Old Man Pants posted:

Things in chronological order that bothered me about bvs:
The bat tornado that he said was a dream and then they just don't say anything else about
Why is a billionaire driving a cheap rear end jeep?
Why weren't they evacuating buildings when a giant loving spaceship showed up and started wrecking poo poo?

This is in the first 8 minutes of the movie, and the rest is the same sequence of WTF after WTF imo.

1) it's called symbolism
2) he grabbed an abandoned car
3) the whole thing happened in a very short time frame

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

As a life long fan I was shocked how much more I liked the civilian half of the movie more than the Ranger battle at the end. That last 30 minutes just felt really rushed and nothing had room to breathe. Aside from that they really nailed the whole team aspect better that any recent superhero movie that comes to mind.
The hand-to-hand stuff was balls on dick. They really need to improve the poo poo out of that for the sequel.

But I thought they made the Zords sequence work really well. (Zack's Zord looked nothing like a mastodon, though?? It had like six legs or something) The final part where they emerge from that crater as the Megazord felt really earned, no matter how "predictable" it was. Hell, everything in the movie felt earned.

And yeah, the character dynamics and bonds between the Rangers was startlingly good. They really captured that sense of outcast underdogs gravitating towards each other in a way that I haven't seen in a long time, if ever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like the way The Flash's powers are in that movie. Would prefer it was the yellow lightening, but it looks cool.

Cyborg's parts aren't bad, but his design is too busy and they are making him iron man.

Aquaman is cool in the trailer and going swords and sorcery with him is a good idea.

The movie trailer is way too dark. The DCU movieverse desperately needs color and is too grimdark.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

BrianWilly posted:

The hand-to-hand stuff was balls on dick. They really need to improve the poo poo out of that for the sequel.

What bothered me the most about it was the fact that they spend the majority of the movie trying to get their armor only to use it in battle for all of a minute before calling on the zords. But I was always more into the on the ground fighting more than the giant robot stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am totally fine with Aquaman being Sea Thor, and i dunno why but seeing Mera makes me happy, hopefully she'll be Sea Sif.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I just hope that JL doesn't kill enthusiasm for the Aquaman standalone film. :(

Give me more undersea films!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blue lightning? These loving suits just don't get it. Not my Flash, Zack Snyder. - Opinions I've seen, posted unironically

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The lightning actually aggravates my eyes a bit, and I can see it causing me to walk out of the theater if it gets to be too much.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't mind the blue lightning but wish it was yellow to warm up the palette a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't mind the blue lightning but wish it was yellow to warm up the palette a bit.

Those quick shots of Cyborg, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman against the orange sky are pretty great. Looks almost like a live-action version of this:

Hoping that's what it is.

• Locked thread