Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BriteNite
Feb 28, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

It's the same game that forgets that Turians are dextro-amino or whatever. No one really cared about the source material.

For all the flaws this game has, this isn't one of them. Turians not being able to eat human food and vice versa is mentioned a few times.

Liam has a Nomad conversation with Verta about the time he tried to eat Turian food on a lark and it nearly killed him.

Not sure how that syncs up with Turians surviving on Havarl, but it's not forgotten completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Spoilers for the best text log in the game. New Tuchanka is gonna be fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Turians on Havarl were dumb enough to try eating the local vegetation. There is an argument for them being on the verge of starvation, but it's like wondering if you're really hungry enough to eat a rock.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Just cuddling with my girl, enjoying a movie:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did well with the piranha. Full auto shotgun. That and a pistol still came in light enough for 100 percent recharge speed

Pirhanna also owns as a Infiltrator. Max level tactical cloak lets you stay invis 2 seconds after a shot with full benefits, so full auto shotty gets a lot more fun with that :getin:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hobo Clown posted:

I had a conversation with one of the Angarans on Ice Planet where I asked him was a daara or whatever is. His response is something like "well the literal translation is rock foundation but you may think of it as a small village." So SAM apparently either picks and chooses certain words to not bother translating or the Angarans are all actually speaking English to Ryder.

SAM has intent sensors, like the universal translator and doors in Star Trek.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Also as an infiltrator you get to see enemy outlines through cover when scoped in, add armor penetration mod to a big damage single shot rifles and you literally get headshots through walls.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
waiting 4 the patch where u can tell Sam to stfu

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Lightning Knight posted:

The new human helmet design is atrocious looking and while I appreciate that it's supposed to look like an astronaut helmet it just looks really dumb.

Bioware just hates helmets and near as I can tell the fanbase for Bioware games also hates helmets so those of us that like our characters to wear helmets that look cool just get shafted. :mad:

Classic N7 is still available, but yeah it seems like astronaut helmets are in this season.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh wow, Turian pathfinder Macen and the spectre you meet on jungle world are the first canon gay turians, right? Codex says their relationship is more than platonic. Do I get to reunite them? :3:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hobo Clown posted:

I had a conversation with one of the Angarans on Ice Planet where I asked him was a daara or whatever is. His response is something like "well the literal translation is rock foundation but you may think of it as a small village." So SAM apparently either picks and chooses certain words to not bother translating or the Angarans are all actually speaking English to Ryder.

SAM uses the pop culture method, where you translate for example everything from Japanese except words everyone knows like "konnichiwa", "baka" and "gajin" or everything from German except "Mein Gott", "Fräulein"(which, btw. you really shouldn't use for the last 20 years or so) or "Zwei Bier bitte".

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 26, 2017

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Idgi this game rocks. Grear atmosphere too

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I was tootling around on Eos, scanning rocks, doing little side missions, placing seismic hammers etc when I placed the final seismic hammer and ...Oh poo poo, what the actual gently caress! Huge boss fight outta nowhere! I tried but I was way too low level I think (or too drunk and tired) to actually deal with that. I fought, I died, I extracted and went and did something nice and easy like buying some fruit for Suvi for Movie night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tezzeract posted:

Classic N7 is still available, but yeah it seems like astronaut helmets are in this season.

I think Johan Kraus just wants his helmet back more than anything.

At least the game shows exactly why the helmets in the original Mass Effect trilogy are designed the way they are in the first hour of the story :v:.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Game turned out to be great IMO. My two biggest gripes with the game are - broken triggers for content, when people mention stuff you didn't yet do, but that will probably be fixed in a patch. And the other is loving map. Since there is no minimap and compass is nearly useless if you have multiple objectives you constantly need to bring up the proper map to make sure you are going the right way but than you need to hit escape twice to close it which gets very annoying. Elevated terrain and paths to get up there could have been handled better too.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The assault rifle that's actually a grenade launcher, m-37 or something I think, absolutely shreds architects :eyepop:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Can you make the grenade launcher into a seeking plasma weapon, because that would kind of rock

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tezzeract posted:

It is but it has the dumb faceplate thing attached to it by default as far as I can tell. :mad:

Also words and idioms not translating well is something that happens in human languages too, it's possible that the magic translator just ignores those words when they come up so as to not cause confusion or embarrassment.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Bohemian Nights posted:

Can you make the grenade launcher into a seeking plasma weapon, because that would kind of rock

I haven't tried but it generally limits you to one aug of each "type". So no :(

That said, the kett shotgun that is basically a 2 shot grenade launcher that does ~900 damage kicks rear end. Pair that with the aug that recharges 25% shields on emptying the mag, and armor that recharges on kill. It's like cheat mode for vanguard.

It's not really worth playing with the human crafting, but the kett weapons are really fun and feel unique. Haven't tried any remnant stuff yet though.

Edit: One more weird thing, why do the big tough monsters not give you any XP, and rarely ever drop crafting stuff? Those big dumb blue apes are all over karada and it's annoying having to deal with them.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 26, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

That said, the kett shotgun that is basically a 2 shot grenade launcher that does ~900 damage kicks rear end. Pair that with the aug that recharges 25% shields on emptying the mag, and armor that recharges on kill. It's like cheat mode for vanguard.

It's not really worth playing with the human crafting, but the kett weapons are really fun and feel unique. Haven't tried any remnant stuff yet though.

Edit: One more weird thing, why do the big tough monsters not give you any XP, and rarely ever drop crafting stuff? Those big dump blue apes are all over karada and it's annoying having to deal with them.

human crafting is just good for the added attributes. I respecced to engineer and it's been great, between tech cooldown armour attributes, powers, and the aura effect of the turret my overload cooldown is like 3 or 4 seconds. The turret is super good also, at least on normal. Usually lives through whole fights and the upgraded cryo shots slow guys down and do more damage than your two squadmates put together.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Crustashio posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the Falcon AR, which is a grenade launcher by default, not through augmentation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Picked up the game finally and have a couple of maybe dumb questions about the interface. For reference, in case these are things that just haven't opened up yet, I'm on the Tempest and haven't yet left the Nexus:

1. How do I equip items I've found? Not seeing anything to equip the items in the inventory screen.

2. The game doesn't seem to be letting me change the colors of Ryder's outfit. Just has "change casual clothes" and exit when I try to change the colors, no button to save or modify. How do I do this?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Right, forgot about that. Just tried it and it seems to work. Fires blue grenades that explode on impact, and can be charged to fire 3 at once. I swear the range is reduced though.

It also reminds me of other really dumb poo poo related to crafting:

1) If you research a level of weapon, it should disappear any levels below that. So much clutter even when you just go to a specific weapon type.

2) FIRING RANGE. I can craft all this crazy poo poo, but I can't test it out without going to a planet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

1. How do I equip items I've found? Not seeing anything to equip the items in the inventory screen.
You have to do it from the loadout screen (forward stations etc).

quote:

2. The game doesn't seem to be letting me change the colors of Ryder's outfit. Just has "change casual clothes" and exit when I try to change the colors, no button to save or modify. How do I do this?
Yeah the UI is poo poo, you have to hit space or something to confirm the changes at some point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You have to do it from the loadout screen (forward stations etc).

Yeah the UI is poo poo, you have to hit space or something to confirm the changes at some point.

Oh. I didn't see an option on the UI to confirm the changes, and the game's mentioned nothing about a loadout screen.

Also, how does planet scanning work? All I see are two occasionally red bars on the top of the scanner, to the left and right, that occasionally blink out. Does this mean the planet has nothing, or am I missing something?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lukewarm reviews from people who actually played the game convinced me to buy. Thanks goons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Oh. I didn't see an option on the UI to confirm the changes, and the game's mentioned nothing about a loadout screen.

Also, how does planet scanning work? All I see are two occasionally red bars on the top of the scanner, to the left and right, that occasionally blink out. Does this mean the planet has nothing, or am I missing something?

The only thing to scan from orbit is anomalies. Mineral scanning is done in the Nomad in the worst way possible, with your readings changing after you've driven right over the center of the ore deposit and now have to circle back trying to find the loving thing again while waiting for the scanner to update.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Decius posted:

Oh yeah, holy gently caress, who thought that was a good idea?

Are they consumed entirely on use, or do they recharge at weapon crates like power cells? Because I can get behind the special ammos being power ups that anyone can use, not just certain classes, but they should be replenishable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wiseblood posted:

Just cuddling with my girl, enjoying a movie:

Gil is looking pretty disappointed in you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing to scan from orbit is anomalies. Mineral scanning is done in the Nomad in the worst way possible, with your readings changing after you've driven right over the center of the ore deposit and now have to circle back trying to find the loving thing again while waiting for the scanner to update.

So do most planets not have anomalies? And will SAM say something if I find a planet with one? What's the point of being able to scan planets without one?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The appearance changing UI is poo poo.

The loadout screen is where you select gear etc when leaving the Tempest and you can change it on the open world by going to a forward station.

Cythereal posted:

So do most planets not have anomalies? And will SAM say something if I find a planet with one? What's the point of being able to scan planets without one?

:iiam:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

What's the point of being able to scan planets without one?

To raise the system percentage to 100.

That is all.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I need SAM to cool it with the weather announcements. *step away from the nomad* "There's been a drop in temperature pathfinder. *walk back five feet* temperature is within normal range, pathfinder."

Every single time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So again: does SAM notify me when I arrive at a planet with an anomaly, or do I just have to scan everything and hope I find a little dot?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Suvi notifies you if there is an anomaly, otherwise it's just getting that 100% on the screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crustashio posted:

Suvi notifies you if there is an anomaly, otherwise it's just getting that 100% on the screen.

Ah, okay. This game does not explain the UI very well.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cythereal posted:

Busywork to stretch the playtime. Every time you visit a planet you spend about 10-20 seconds zooming in and 10-20 seconds zooming out and whatever you actually do there. It make the player happy if they do it to gain nothing Bioware thought.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does this loving Nexus ever upgrade its appearance at all? I've got like almost five colonies and 2 lost arcs and it still looks like derelict garbage that's now overcrowded.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cythereal posted:

ME:A is not very adept at explaining either that a lot of things only open up until you get your ship, or how various aspects of the UI work. For one thing, unlike the previous games, when landing on a planet you're presented with what at first glance looks like just a weapon selection screen, but incorporates armour and squadmate selection as well. Assuming you're playing on the PC, you have to click the little icons at the top of the screen to access the latter two - otherwise confirming your choice on the weapons screen just means confirming everything and you're then moved onto the planet. While I'm enjoying the game, the UI is even more shite than ME1's ever was.

quote:

In addition to what Crustashio said, Suvi does this both with regard to a planet you've zoomed in on and to the star system you're currently in. In the latter case you can often pretty easily spot the anomaly even without the scanner's indicator, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Crabtree posted:

Does this loving Nexus ever upgrade its appearance at all? I've got like almost five colonies and 2 lost arcs and it still looks like derelict garbage that's now overcrowded.

Are you raising viability all the way up? I raised Eos to 100%, and it practically turned into the Citedal over night. That was before I even went to another planet.