Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Just had my first sour thx to you guys. Scarlett on Brett. really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I really like stuff fermented with Brett in general. Also, lol that this is rapidly turning into the beer thread.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thoht posted:

I really like stuff fermented with Brett in general. Also, lol that this is rapidly turning into the beer thread.

I can't even tell which thread I'm talking about sours in anymore.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If any of you dudes make it out to Austin try Blue Owl, best sours in the area.

There's a brewery in Ft. Worth that I can't remember the name of, but the beer is Petite Gold Sour, probably the best on the market, my local brewshop has it occasionally, and I've made a road trip up that way once to buy a few growlers. Definitely a good into to sours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

There's a brewery in Ft. Worth that I can't remember the name of, but the beer is Petite Gold Sour, probably the best on the market, my local brewshop has it occasionally, and I've made a road trip up that way once to buy a few growlers. Definitely a good into to sours.

I might dispute that...tried Blue Owl's sour stout the other day and it was like loving cough syrup. OTOH, Jester King is releasing Colour Five this weekend and I can't make it up, dammit. Hopefully they still have some next weekend.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I might dispute that...tried Blue Owl's sour stout the other day and it was like loving cough syrup. OTOH, Jester King is releasing Colour Five this weekend and I can't make it up, dammit. Hopefully they still have some next weekend.

The sour stout I don't care for at all, but Spirit Animal, their sour pale ale, is really pretty good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I thought sours very specific type of beer, not just adding that bacteria to any other random style?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bongwizzard posted:

I thought sours very specific type of beer, not just adding that bacteria to any other random style?

There's a difference between a sour and brettanomyces. "Sour" is pretty much a catch-all and really imprecise term that includes Belgian lambics, German goses and berliners, American kettle sours, whatever. It's definitely not a very specific type of beer. Like, *everything* Jolly Pumpkin does is sour and they range from stouts to IPAs to saisons to witbiers. Generally these are fermented with strains of lactobacillus (to produce lactic acid), or they're fermented with whatever wild crud happens to be in the area, in which case who knows. Pediococcus is another bacteria that gets used, although not by itself since alone it's going to be very aggressive and also produce some off-flavors. There are also acetobacter strains which are literally turning the ethanol into vinegar, acetic acid. Flanders reds like Duchesse de Bourgogne are going to be more acetic (Like seriously vinegary, if you don't like balsamic vinegar you probably won't like that style), lambics and berliners are going to be more lactic.

Brettanomyces isn't actually a bacteria, it's another yeast strain that's used either alone or in concert with all the other stuff. It eats sugars like mad and doesn't produce much in the way of acid. A beer that's 100% Brett isn't going to be so much sour as it is funky, really earthy and a bit stinky in a good way. For a great, seriously great example of what Brett specifically does to a beer, pick up a bottle of Orval. In a wild-fermented Belgian lambic there are something like 40 different strains of yeast and bacteria that wind up making the beer, which is why those tend to be really complex

SciAm had a good article a bunch of years back on it:

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/FACULTY/jahren/GG711jahren/readings/DeKeers1996.pdf

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Like, *everything* Jolly Pumpkin does is sour and they range from stouts to IPAs to saisons to witbiers. Generally these are fermented with strains of lactobacillus (to produce lactic acid), or they're fermented with whatever wild crud happens to be in the area, in which case who knows.

I had the fortune of hitting up Jolly Pumpkin in Detroit with a buddy a couple months ago for trivia night. I'm pretty much brand new to sours, so I gave about five different varieties a try. It was hit and miss based on my own personal preference, but it's amazing how different one sour can be from the next.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

There's a difference between a sour and brettanomyces. "Sour" is pretty much a catch-all and really imprecise term that includes Belgian lambics, German goses and berliners, American kettle sours, whatever. It's definitely not a very specific type of beer. Like, *everything* Jolly Pumpkin does is sour and they range from stouts to IPAs to saisons to witbiers. Generally these are fermented with strains of lactobacillus (to produce lactic acid), or they're fermented with whatever wild crud happens to be in the area, in which case who knows. Pediococcus is another bacteria that gets used, although not by itself since alone it's going to be very aggressive and also produce some off-flavors. There are also acetobacter strains which are literally turning the ethanol into vinegar, acetic acid. Flanders reds like Duchesse de Bourgogne are going to be more acetic (Like seriously vinegary, if you don't like balsamic vinegar you probably won't like that style), lambics and berliners are going to be more lactic.

Brettanomyces isn't actually a bacteria, it's another yeast strain that's used either alone or in concert with all the other stuff. It eats sugars like mad and doesn't produce much in the way of acid. A beer that's 100% Brett isn't going to be so much sour as it is funky, really earthy and a bit stinky in a good way. For a great, seriously great example of what Brett specifically does to a beer, pick up a bottle of Orval. In a wild-fermented Belgian lambic there are something like 40 different strains of yeast and bacteria that wind up making the beer, which is why those tend to be really complex

SciAm had a good article a bunch of years back on it:

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/FACULTY/jahren/GG711jahren/readings/DeKeers1996.pdf

See this is why I switched over to just drinking Sol and smoking weed. I got enough poo poo on my mind without dreaming of beer bacteria all day.

Really it's amazing to me how far beer has come in the US. I remember like 16-17 years ago when I first had a "microbrew", it was possible and reasonable for me and my buddies to try every single one the five local liquor stores had in stock, now I can't even keep up with all just the IPAs/stouts coming out. Hell, I still haven't tried a sample from every brewery thats popped up in my tiny rear end little state.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The part I forgot to post was, I have been sort of missing beer but I got to point where after one or two I generally have no interest in drinking anymore, and after wasting half of three or four different growlers I did sort of give up and just start buying cheap Mexican beer. Last time I was in a beer slump I decided it was time to learn how to love IPAs, I brought a hophead friend with me to this huge beer and liquor warehouse and filled up a grocery cart with like 30 different types. When I finished them all two months later I had quite a taste for hops. Maybe I'll see what this place has for sours now that I know what words to look for.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I remember being amazed the first time I lived in a state where you could actually buy beer in a grocery store. A few weeks into the semester my roommates and I decided, hey, we should clean this place up. Looks like we have enough bottles to start a collection.

Then the rule became, every time someone goes to the grocery store, bring back a sixer of something we haven't tried yet.

The wall art dates this, and there was still a lot of swill, but I was amazed that there were beers worth drinking for the taste. Now I'm jaded and spoiled for choice and absolutely will not stand in line to get beers anymore.

Also Negra Modelo owns.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Also Negra Modelo owns.

It does, but sometime or year or so ago they changed the glue they use to hold the foil around the cap and now there is no way I can peel it off in one satisfying chunk, so I've moved on the cheaper Mexican beers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Blue Owl sour wheat is really good.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Question from the biology thread: Does the ORCA smell like worse than anything you've ever imagined?

Not the orca, but the grease trap room smelled like poo poo and death. Temp job tho, so not my problem anymore!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Good timing for me to check in -- I'm heading to Baltimore for the weekend to drink some sour cherry beer at my old stomping ground.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

a pox on those who no-call/no-show

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

a pox on those who no-call/no-show

Like how is that tolerated in the tiniest bit, like I understand that Kitchen's existence of weird wild West world, but like goddamn how hard is it to find replacement help? If someone's lovely enough to no call no show for anything other than a dire family emergency could an owner possibly stand not replacing them instantly?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I really hate that here is no "backup" in most kitchens. There's just no coverage if someone calls out. Kitchens run on this idea that whoever is scheduled will be there no matter what, and I hate that poo poo.

Don't NC/NS though. That's just lovely.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh, this wasn't kitchen. this was a server. or technically, an ex-server.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really hate that here is no "backup" in most kitchens. There's just no coverage if someone calls out. Kitchens run on this idea that whoever is scheduled will be there no matter what, and I hate that poo poo.

Are you going to pay me to sit at home all sober and wait for a maybe phone call?

All you can really do is assume people are going to show, or call in a reasonable amount of time before a shift.

Though I totally agree, shitcan anybody who does the NC/NS thing. Unless they're hit by a car or something.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I give someone the benefit of the doubt on the first one, call the next day and ask what was up. 2nd one is no loving way you're done bye.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shabadu posted:

I give someone the benefit of the doubt on the first one, call the next day and ask what was up. 2nd one is no loving way you're done bye.

That's how it's done at my job. I've been no called on a couple times but both times they called and apologized

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

By the time I get home today I will have worked 18 hours because it was just assumed that everything is going to go perfectly and the client will never change anything. I think that idea is universal among people who own a thing and only really look at their bottom line.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The General posted:

Are you going to pay me to sit at home all sober and wait for a maybe phone call?

All you can really do is assume people are going to show, or call in a reasonable amount of time before a shift.

Nah, imma pay you to be at work and do prep or something, and cover garde manger if that guy calls off. That's what I'd do, ideally. But we run on thin margins, so I can't really do that.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Nah, imma pay you to be at work and do prep or something, and cover garde manger if that guy calls off. That's what I'd do, ideally. But we run on thin margins, so I can't really do that.

So you would always have an extra person working at all times? What if 2 people didn't show?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What time is my shift over? Are you paying me a premium to not be able to make solid plans for after my scheduled shift?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Maestro posted:

So you would always have an extra person working at all times? What if 2 people didn't show?

2 call offs is a bit weird, I just like having a bit of redundancy.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The General posted:

What time is my shift over? Are you paying me a premium to not be able to make solid plans for after my scheduled shift?

You'd be scheduled for a pm or am shift, same as usual, it wouldn't be a weird flex shift, it'd just be a standard 6a-2p or 2p-10p.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

2 call offs is a bit weird, I just like having a bit of redundancy.

someone i know had three no call no shows on the same shift a few days ago, sometimes even being a bit overstaffed as a hedge isn't enough

the real way to prevent this is to hire reliable people, but then that would offering an actual living wage

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

You'd be scheduled for a pm or am shift, same as usual, it wouldn't be a weird flex shift, it'd just be a standard 6a-2p or 2p-10p.

One of the best things about being out of the industry is if I'm sick I can work from home and still get paid.

Although I do miss running my restaurant sometimes. But being able to pay bills is pretty good.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I work at a lovely chain pizza restaurant. Our GM pulled a NC/NS this week, showed up late the next day, jacked $150 out of the till at the end of the night, and NC/NS'd again the next day. He's rightfully gone now, but his area manager said "welp you two shift leads got this see you next Monday" so it's been hell trying to figure out all the GM stuff without guidance, like ordering and scheduling. Payroll is going to be fun.

Moral of the story, kiddos, don't go on multi-day meth binges. Especially if you are the GM.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Cause what gm/owner doesn't care about labor costs right?

That poo poo is not happening haha

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Field Mousepad posted:

This. We are so short staffed at both places I'm at.

Owner: Well labor cost can't go up even though we are crazy busy.

Me: The gently caress?!?!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
what kind of jackass looks at labor cost as a dollar amount instead of a percentage of sales?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what kind of jackass looks at labor cost as a dollar amount instead of a percentage of sales?

The same people who a. Voted trump, and b. Think rand has some good ideas

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

I actually kind of do this now, adding 2 employees making 30k each doesn't really matter when you do 1-2mil in F&B profit.

Just that I added those 2 employees to banquets and stewarding instead of the line.

E: when I said we run on thin margins, I meant the industry as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I actually kind of do this now, adding 2 employees making 30k each doesn't really matter when you do 1-2mil in F&B profit.

Just that I added those 2 employees to banquets and stewarding instead of the line.

E: when I said we run on thin margins, I meant the industry as a whole.

Isn't the whole thin margin thing a myth though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Restaurant owners tend to be very short sited. If they can save a few bucks on labor every week they will do it everytime trust me, customer service be damned!

• Locked thread