Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Euron came right out and said he killed the king on the show. Brienne has said she killed Stannis. Ramsay killed his dad in front of everyone (he did pay for it though). The Sand Snakes killed their king. Cersei blew up basically every royal and religious figure in KL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The rule in the TV show is that if you kill the king then you become the new king.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Euron came right out and said he killed the king on the show. Brienne has said she killed Stannis. Ramsay killed his dad in front of everyone (he did pay for it though). The Sand Snakes killed their king. Cersei blew up basically every royal and religious figure in KL.

Well no repercussions for wanton murder is the way it is in this story. When we talk about actual kings though, There have been repercussions for people who killed "good" kings, and people who have killed "bad" kings get away with it. How is that surprising? I know we like to pretend that George is all anti-genre-themes but that's not really true.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Dorne one was the worst. She was just the king's brother girlfriend, she didnt had anything close to a claim, and Doran was supposed to be a respected and beloved ruler.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Demiurge4 posted:

Brienne has killed two (as far as everyone knows)

No one truly believes she killed Renly in the show. Littlefinger convinced Loras that Stannis sent an assassin right away.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ramsay killed his dad in front of everyone (he did pay for it though).

And that's a liberal use of "everyone". He killed him in front of a co-conspirator and a man that was bound by oath to obey him once lordship passed to him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 25, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reminder that when they were still following the books Jaime was looked down on for killing a king and now we have no less than 3 people that have done the same with no repercussions.

He wasn't looked down on for killing the king (the point of the civil war was to kill the mad king) but because he broke his oath as a member of the king's guard.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Manic X posted:

this thread seems to hate the show more than like it. It has some really dumb moments for me, but is still a really good show.

You want the good show, but you need the bad poosay.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Dorne one was the worst. She was just the king's brother girlfriend, she didnt had anything close to a claim, and Doran was supposed to be a respected and beloved ruler.

Doran was not a king.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
GoT went from being possibly the best fantasy ever presented in a visual medium during season one to the tv equivalent of a summer blockbuster with swords and dragons.

There's no doubt that it's still a high quality entertainment product which is why we're all still watching it but how can it be called 'good' when it's a goofy parody of its former self? GoT wasn't good because it was a high budget high production values fantasy affair, it was good because it felt like a serious treatment of a very authentic feeling fantasy setting, the big moments used to carry gravitas because everything felt so visceral, the events seemed important.

In season 6 more often than not you have to go "yeah that doesn't really make a lot of sense but I guess I see what they're trying to set up", the build up between the last three seasons is particularly annoying as you have characters and plots being set up which all get wiped out in political murders (usually by relatives) out of left field.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's no doubt that it's still a high quality entertainment product which is why we're all still watching it

Actually I watch it cause it's hilariously bad.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Manic X posted:

When he killed Roose, again there was no response from any character - like there was no one loyal at all to Roose in the room.
Leaving aside the fact that Ramsay and his co-conspirator were the only other people in the room in Roose's death scene IIRC, this is completely consistent with Roose's portrayal in the books - it's made pretty clear that none of the other northern nobles like or trust him and that he's only on top because he has the strongest House.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the problem is in the books ramsay looks like a giant monster not suave handsome cunning tv serial killer cliche.

plus they advertised poo poo with "the north remembers" and cut that plotline completely out despite nothing happening during all of season 5 and easily being able to make it the main plot.

it really is like a completely different show after season 4 (partly the fault of the books killing off most of the good characters).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the problem is in the books ramsay looks like a giant monster not suave handsome cunning tv serial killer cliche.

plus they advertised poo poo with "the north remembers" and cut that plotline completely out despite nothing happening during all of season 5 and easily being able to make it the main plot.

it really is like a completely different show after season 4 (partly the fault of the books killing off most of the good characters).

Abandoning plot lines really is the shows greatest sin. The north remembers and dark Sansa are just two examples of something that could have been awesome.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Lloyd Boner posted:

Doran was not a king.

No, but he was a prince.

Still, he's the ruler of Dorne and people (both peasants and noblemen) seemed to be cool with his hothead brother's concubine taking his seat.

It's amazing that they made Dorne somehow even more boring and stupid in the show

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elman posted:

Actually I watch it cause it's hilariously bad.

i'll play devils advocate and just ask what you watch on tv so i can also know what is just "regular bad", and then "normal" and then "good". if you could leave a list of a few shows each that'd be great, as i'm out of stuff to watch and am honestly looking for anything to watch now

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Of course, that's just TV and complaining about that would be silly. Like "All these people on this CW show are beautiful, that's so unrealistic!"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GoT went from being possibly the best fantasy ever presented in a visual medium during season one to the tv equivalent of a summer blockbuster with swords and dragons.

There's no doubt that it's still a high quality entertainment product which is why we're all still watching it but how can it be called 'good' when it's a goofy parody of its former self? GoT wasn't good because it was a high budget high production values fantasy affair, it was good because it felt like a serious treatment of a very authentic feeling fantasy setting, the big moments used to carry gravitas because everything felt so visceral, the events seemed important.

In season 6 more often than not you have to go "yeah that doesn't really make a lot of sense but I guess I see what they're trying to set up", the build up between the last three seasons is particularly annoying as you have characters and plots being set up which all get wiped out in political murders (usually by relatives) out of left field.

Yeah, it went from "wow, I never though a fantasy TV show could be this great!!" to "lmao that's so dumb. cool battles though "

Lloyd Boner posted:

Doran was not a king.

Whatever. Point is: he was murdered in a conspiracy that never made a lick of sense by someone who had absolutely no claim to his place. And everyone was just ok with it because apparently dornians are all mentally disabled

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Great Autismo! posted:

i'll play devils advocate and just ask what you watch on tv so i can also know what is just "regular bad", and then "normal" and then "good". if you could leave a list of a few shows each that'd be great, as i'm out of stuff to watch and am honestly looking for anything to watch now

Uh I dunno, just compare it to other HBO shows like The Wire or Rome, where the characters are relatable and events actually make sense. Or Hannibal, House of Cards, even lighter stuff like Stranger Things or Homeland. There's plenty of good stuff on TV, it doesn't all have to be high art but GoT sure doesn't set the bar high these days.

I'd like to say I'm hopeful things will pick up now, they've got their endgame planned out and they very clearly set all their pieces on the board last season (by killing off every character they didn't want to bother with). Now they should be able to cook up a good ending instead of worrying about juggling way too many plotlines. My hopes aren't high though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Elman posted:

Uh I dunno, just compare it to other HBO shows like The Wire or Rome, where the characters are relatable and events actually make sense. Or Hannibal, House of Cards, even lighter stuff like Stranger Things or Homeland. There's plenty of good stuff on TV, it doesn't all have to be high art but GoT sure doesn't set the bar high these days.

I'd like to say I'm hopeful things will pick up now, they've got their endgame planned out and they very clearly set all their pieces on the board last season (by killing off every character they didn't want to bother with). Now they should be able to cook up a good ending instead of worrying about juggling way too many plotlines. My hopes aren't high though.

I love house of cards but it is cheesy as hell. I just rewatched burn notice on Netflix. That was a really fun show. Homeland has been unwatchable since season 2 IMO.

Game of Thrones is still awesome though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, it went from "wow, I never though a fantasy TV show could be this great!!" to "lmao that's so dumb. cool battles though "

Whatever. Point is: he was murdered in a conspiracy that never made a lick of sense by someone who had absolutely no claim to his place. And everyone was just ok with it because apparently dornians are all mentally disabled

Nobody else lives in Dorne. There were some weird arab looking dudes but Jaime and Bronn killed them

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lycus posted:

Of course, that's just TV and complaining about that would be silly. Like "All these people on this CW show are beautiful, that's so unrealistic!"

In this case, though, it's a major shift in the way the character is presented. You don't have to cast an actual ugly person, but he could have been a big cursing rear end in a top hat like King Robert or the Greatjon, and given his bastard status, other nobles would have never considered working with him. Show Ramsey, at least until he starts skinning things, is very smooth and charismatic, and you could almost see him taking Roose's place when all's said and done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lycus posted:

it makes him a totally different character. also it's dumb how tv always makes serial killers and poo poo bright and charismatic. they're usually subaverage intelligence brutes (like ramsay!).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

For me the books did fantasy in a new way that I wasn't used to. The TV show presented that when it was following the first three books and now it's just moving from setpiece to setpiece. Which is poo poo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Abandoning plot lines really is the shows greatest sin. The north remembers and dark Sansa are just two examples of something that could have been awesome.

Dark Sansa wasnt an abandoned plot. It was some dumb theory people latched onto for some reason because one time sansa wore a dress with black feathers or some poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Taear posted:

For me the books did fantasy in a new way that I wasn't used to. The TV show presented that when it was following the first three books and now it's just moving from setpiece to setpiece. Which is poo poo.

If that's what people like, that's what people like, as opposed to meandery poo poo like AFFC and ADWD.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elman posted:

nice i haven't watched Rome or Hannibal, i'll check 'em out

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

it makes him a totally different character. also it's dumb how tv always makes serial killers and poo poo bright and charismatic. they're usually subaverage intelligence brutes (like ramsay!).

You mean like Ted Bundy?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
First promo https://youtu.be/JxWfvtnHtS0

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Is Dany at Dragonstone? I don't recognize her throne.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hamlet442 posted:

Is Dany at Dragonstone? I don't recognize her throne.

That's where the spoilers say she goes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SimonCat posted:

You mean like Ted Bundy?

*sees the word "usually" and uses one of the few examples of an intelligent, handsome serial killer*

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

That's where the spoilers say she goes

I never thought I'd see the day come that I would read spoilers and pray they were all completely false.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

*sees the word "usually" and uses one of the few examples of an intelligent, handsome serial killer*

Perhaps the reason that intelligent suave serial killers are more popular than dumb brutes on TV is because they're way more fun to watch. Perhaps.

R-Type posted:

I never thought I'd see the day come that I would read spoilers and pray they were all completely false.

Where does she land in your fanfic?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She is going to land there and spend the next 10 years playing politics with the locals again

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ted Bundy's one

Jeffrey Dahmer's was a very outgoing gay man who used his charm to lure victims home.

Richard Ramirez found love in prison.

Charlie Manson founded a whole commune of free love psychosexual killers

John Wayne Gacy was a suburban family man.

the BTK killer had a wife and children, was a member of Christ Lutheran Church and was elected president of the church council.

HHHolmes married multiple women and was so charming he was able to convince some of their families to keep sending him money after their daughters went missing.

Dillon and Eric were both popular kids in school.

Dylan Roof was taken alive because...?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

Dillon and Eric were both popular kids in school.

it's been over a year since I read "Columbine" so i may be remembering incorrectly but Dylan was not very popular at all, i think. eric definitely was but dylan was always seen as kind of a social outcast IIRC

it doesn't discount your post in the slightest, just was commenting for the sake of accuracy

also now I'm listening to sufjan steven's song "john wayne gacy jr", a song i haven't even though about since like 2007. so thanks for that

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Why are all the hackers on TV cool, attractive rebels? Why can't they make TV shows about fat, boring loners?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lycus posted:

Why are all the hackers on TV cool, attractive rebels? Why can't they make TV shows about fat, boring loners?

Because I watch television to escape

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Gurm is a serial killer of hopes and dreams, a loathsome sack of poo poo, and quite popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its been said before, but I'll say it again. The last three seasons of the show have started sucking because the source material they were working with sucked. It's why I'm looking forward to the show ending so I can finally completely forget about the remaining books that will never come out.

• Locked thread