Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Metapod posted:

Actually I'll be the one quoting this and laughing

I woke up this morning early to train hard. My training will help me hoot and holler louder at the TV so the Houston Rockets emerge victorious over the dastardly Oklahoma City Thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Whoa if rigging the draft is worth prison time then rigging the world series must be worth the freakin' death penalty

oops wait no neither of those things are actually crimes the players who deliberately threw games and rigged the outcome of the world series for the mafia were sentenced to not being allowed to play pro baseball anymore

Hah this is a lil like a few years ago when I had to break the news to a friend of mine that the Patriots cheating didn't really have to be punished by anyone and likely would have no consequences because there obviously no actual laws about this sort of thing and the NFLeague is just a group of lawyers who represent the team owners in labor disputes.

lol imagine if you went to jail for cheating at sports

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-3221.html

For something like an outcome of a game it'd be hard to prove fraud. Rigging the outcome of a draft, where the draft rights have tangible and agreed upon values, it becomes easier. While Jail time itself would probably not be super-likely, criminal charges would probably be likely. Donaghy was convicted of Fraud for his behavior in a game, so I don't know why you think fraud laws don't apply.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

Whoa if rigging the draft is worth prison time then rigging the world series must be worth the freakin' death penalty

oops wait no neither of those things are actually crimes the players who deliberately threw games and rigged the outcome of the world series for the mafia were sentenced to not being allowed to play pro baseball anymore

Hah this is a lil like a few years ago when I had to break the news to a friend of mine that the Patriots cheating didn't really have to be punished by anyone and likely would have no consequences because there obviously no actual laws about this sort of thing and the NFLeague is just a group of lawyers who represent the team owners in labor disputes.

lol imagine if you went to jail for cheating at sports

I really hope you're not a lawyer Evan.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

EvanTH is actually short for Evan THe Lawyer.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
booker was mostly trained by his dad, yeah? semi-pro player, not a huge star? Looks like Ball is on to something, we need a Jordan vs Devin Booker's Dad showdown

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-3221.html

For something like an outcome of a game it'd be hard to prove fraud. Rigging the outcome of a draft, where the draft rights have tangible and agreed upon values, it becomes easier. While Jail time itself would probably not be super-likely, criminal charges would probably be likely. Donaghy was convicted of Fraud for his behavior in a game, so I don't know why you think fraud laws don't apply.

Donaghy wasn't the ringleader of a fraud that the leaders of the organization approved of. He was guilty of causing a problem for people richer than him. I will reexamine this opinion the second I see Sepp Blatter in a prison jumpsuit.

But in the meantime I don't think "the leaders of the organization might face prison time and they wouldn't do that" is a good argument as to why rigging wouldn't happen. "Nobody in power cares enough about the Cavs to do that for them" seems like the better argument against it to me.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

is that because you wish I was a judge due to my eminent sense of fairness

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

booker was mostly trained by his dad, yeah? semi-pro player, not a huge star? Looks like Ball is on to something, we need a Jordan vs Devin Booker's Dad showdown

afaik Melvin Booker was straight euroleague pro and likely would have been overseas for a lot of Devin's youth. I don't think we need to worry about Lavar Ball being right about anything yet

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

afaik Melvin Booker was straight euroleague pro and likely would have been overseas for a lot of Devin's youth. I don't think we need to worry about Lavar Ball being right about anything yet

see the impression i got is the dude could've played longer but decided his kid had a better shot and cut his own career short to do it. this probably came from a puff piece though so

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The NBA is more fun now than it has been in a long time and if draft fraud has contributed then fraud all drafts.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
reading more it sounds like you are right for the most part, Dad didn't really get involved involved until devin was a sophomore in high school. which was like 4 years ago for devin haha wowzers im an old man

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/845138181649420289

Did i miss this??

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TBeats posted:

The NBA is more fun now than it has been in a long time and if draft fraud has contributed then fraud all drafts.

The only credible draft rigging theory imo is that they made the Cavs good so LeBron would have a place to go to compete for championships after the Heat's window closed and I agree, an NBA where LeBron can't compete would be super unfun.

(I am also ok with the last few years' draft rigging because it didn't affect the Spurs' ability to get Kawhi in the mid first round)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

I woke up this morning early to train hard. My training will help me hoot and holler louder at the TV so the Houston Rockets emerge victorious over the dastardly Oklahoma City Thunder.

You can train all you want but you will never be able to match my god given ability to yell at the tv and be an irrational fan. Thunder up bitch

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

player coach gm lebron will always play/coach/build a contender imo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

The only credible draft rigging theory imo is that they made the Cavs good so LeBron would have a place to go to compete for championships after the Heat's window closed and I agree, an NBA where LeBron can't compete would be super unfun.

(I am also ok with the last few years' draft rigging because it didn't affect the Spurs' ability to get Kawhi in the mid first round)

Yes the NBA hivemind knew that Chris Bosh would develop a clotting disorder, closing the heats window.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

What the hell is he talking about the Jazz have no one on their roster who only thinks about scoring. They have the most defensive minded team in the NBA. Maybe Joe Johnson or George Hill?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes the NBA hivemind knew that Chris Bosh would develop a clotting disorder, closing the heats window.

the last 2 years of those runs, the narrative was that Lebron carried the weight on those teams, as Bosh didn't put up numbers, missed playoff games, and Wade was in decline, constantly hurt. Their last championship was due to a hail mary 3.

I am not saying this is the reason to rig, but the heat window was closed because of wade. He makes Max money, without adding max value, and the team could not improve. I think NBA people saw this, Lebron certainly did, he hinted at leaving a year in advance or something?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
No internet for 3 days, and I come back online to see that Booker has scored 70 points against Boston.

OK?!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

No internet for 3 days, and I come back online to see that Booker has scored 70 points against Boston.

OK?!

Yeah but it doesn't count because he's boring and his team was feeding him the ball!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone said Booker's 70 points weren't impressive, and I just looked at it today. What wasn't impressive about it? Lots of hard drives with some nice body control, quick release shots. It wasn't like Klay's occasional murder games where it's mostly quick shots behind a screen.

There was that one nice fade away mid ranger from near the corner as he got fouled.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

Someone said Booker's 70 points weren't impressive, and I just looked at it today. What wasn't impressive about it? Lots of hard drives with some nice body control, quick release shots. It wasn't like Klay's occasional murder games where it's mostly quick shots behind a screen.

There was that one nice fade away mid ranger from near the corner as he got fouled.

People are unrelenting haters. Booker's 20 years old and put up 70 in the NBA but people are mad that he didn't get it through insane Kobe shots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nobody's mad I just think he's boring. No personality and lots of dull floaters and style free jumpers. Nobody said it wasn't impressive.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Fun fact about Devin Booker, he is one of four NBA players in the "he ain't even stretch doe" video. (Including Blake Griffin)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Doltos posted:

What the hell is he talking about the Jazz have no one on their roster who only thinks about scoring. They have the most defensive minded team in the NBA. Maybe Joe Johnson or George Hill?

The rumor is George Hill.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The rumor is George Hill.

Which is hilarious if it's true considering what he's been for the Pacers and Spurs before.

Imagine if Russel Westbrook sorts throwing shade at "This one guy just cares about getting buckets" and it's Andre Roberson

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Would we know if Booker has a personality? He's 2nd year, wasn't a big name in the college/the draft and he's played exclusively on a terrible team that doesn't get a lot of coverage. I doubt I've heard him speak until the post 70 point game interviews.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Would we know if Booker has a personality? He's 2nd year, wasn't a big name in the college/the draft and he's played exclusively on a terrible team that doesn't get a lot of coverage. I doubt I've heard him speak until the post 70 point game interviews.

Exactly. Does he have to wear crazy clothes for people to think he has a personality?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

G & G-F that logged 2000MP in a <23 age season ordered by WS/48

I know that he's insanely loving boring from the fact that he plays basketball in the most sanitized and predictable way possible.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 26, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

straight up brolic posted:

G & G-F that logged 2000MP in a <23 age season ordered by WS/48

I know that he's insanely loving boring from the fact that he plays basketball in the most sanitized and predictable way possible.

Ya I predicted him scoring 70 like a week ago and Boston was able to hold his predictable play to only 21 FGs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How do you score 70 points and still lose?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
SAS also called James Harden boring and likes Space Jam, may not one hundred percent understand entertainment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do you score 70 points and still lose?

You're the only good draft pick your GM accidentally ever made over four seasons on a team that has shut its veterans down.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Purvis Short, Fred Brown, Lou Hudson, Kelly Tripuka, Chet Walker, Brandon Jennings, Michael Adams, and Corey Brewer have all scored 50+ points. Scoring a ton of points in a single game doesn't make you good or exciting, you just scored a ton of points in a single game. It doesn't answer the question of style at all. There are a ton of players in the league that I love to watch, Devin Booker is not one of them. I don't dislike him or anything--he's just the off-white paint in the entry way. Watching him makes me more aware that basketball is a manufactured entertainment product, and not an expression of joy or something more meaningful.

dokmo posted:

SAS also called James Harden boring and likes Space Jam, may not one hundred percent understand entertainment.
I ride or die with James Harden. Please do not compare loving Devin Booker to him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Purvis Short, Fred Brown, Lou Hudson, Kelly Tripuka, Chet Walker, Brandon Jennings, Michael Adams, and Corey Brewer have all scored 50+ points. Scoring a ton of points in a single game doesn't make you good or exciting, you just scored a ton of points in a single game. It doesn't answer the question of style at all. There are a ton of players in the league that I love to watch, Devin Booker is not one of them. I don't dislike him or anything--he's just the off-white paint in the entry way. Watching him makes me more aware that basketball is a manufactured entertainment product, and not an expression of joy or something more meaningful.

you think way too hard about it, is what you do

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Booker scores a ton on pull ups, cuts, and dunks. What exactly is off-white paint about his game? Do you want more turn around jumpers or something?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Doltos posted:

Booker scores a ton on pull ups, cuts, and dunks. What exactly is off-white paint about his game? Do you want more turn around jumpers or something?
Maybe he could rebound, pass, or play defense. Literally the only thing he does okay is score and he's not even good at it.

He's Austin Rivers with worse defense, greater opportunity, and a better shot.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

And yes, if you're going to play basketball like that you need to be dripping in sauce

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

You're the only good draft pick your GM accidentally ever made over four seasons on a team that has shut its veterans down.

TJ Warren is pretty good. Tyler Ulis and Marquse Chriss look like they might have a future too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Also since preseason I've been hearing about how this Booker kid down in Phoenix is gonna be a superstar (which still might be true!), and then right after I'm like oh gotta check out a phoenix game, and I turn it on and he shoots 6/20 for like 15 points and I'm like gently caress this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Yeah I don't think I've seen anyone profile or interview a Phoenix Suns player since Nash left. The team is totally irrelevant so I have no idea how anyone would judge the personalities of a squad that gets zero coverage.

• Locked thread