Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

Awoooooooo

Awuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

This is what I say to your awuus.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Just spent $30 buying holsterd bolt pistols and ammo packs and grenades and tabards and poo poo on ebay

At least I haven't ordered a phobos bolt pistol set from forgeworld or something yet. Though I did order some IH heads.

I didn't want to invest too heavily for a while when I started and now I have 45 plastic marines with 10 resin ones on the way, what am I doing

Working on my paint scheme test model btw

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 25, 2017

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sucks you can't snapfire that with PoTMS.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DJ Dizzy posted:

i'm the dustbuster

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

i'm the dustbuster

Scratch built custodes grab tank. Its traditional.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Awuu- :fuckoff:

Such a lovely beast!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

First attempt at my iron hands. First marine I've ever painted.

There's obviously some problem areas, I've got some vision and hand problems so having the image blown up like this lets me see how much I need to clean up around the rivets and some other places, but I think it'd be fine as tabletop standard right now. Going to put transfers on it when I'm satisfied with it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If you apply your paint a little thinner, and wash with nuln oil, you can clean up some of where it bled over.

As a guy with bad vision and also shaky hands, I tend to hold close and make sure both hands are on the table- it helps immensely.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
It's a good baseline - get some washes on the metals, tidy it up a bit and jobs a good un

I'd recommend getting a magnifying light, I think JackMack can recommend one?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I put null oil over all the metals, but I can do more.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I have this one.

[url] https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004RCHFR8/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YXG9CBKS5DT3RW4GGTSS&dpPl=1&dpID=51QDwNIunFL [/url]

However the magnifying glass is not as strong as I like. My best is still just a freestanding magnifying glass due to higher magnification. The 20w daylight bulb was an utter game changer for me.

I would just be wary as well that although the camera reveals what you feel are mistakes that the distance it will be when playing a game is much more forgiving. Some really messy paint jobs can look great at arms length.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Getting back to painting after some Legionnaire burnout. Have a few more steps to go, but I'm pretty happy with them for basic tabletop. I swear you can't tell how spotty the glaze/washes are in real life.

Legio XX Headhunter Leviathal:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
What the heck do the Custodes Sagittarum Guard do? They look cool as heck.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

The Sex Cannon posted:

They have Heavy Bolter like guns that can also fire AP2, Amourbane and Instant Death shots at a lower rate of fire.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BirdieBedtime posted:

Getting back to painting after some Legionnaire burnout. Have a few more steps to go, but I'm pretty happy with them for basic tabletop. I swear you can't tell how spotty the glaze/washes are in real life.

Legio XX Headhunter Leviathal:

This is a really fascinating blend of parts. I'm guessing the bodies and legs are from a third party? The models don't quite have the usual marine profile, but it all works.

The Sex Cannon posted:

They've got bigass guns that are essentially heavy bolters with a 12" death ray attached. They're 1 shot, S5, AP2, and have Instant Death and Armorbane. They're also not limited to one use.

They also look cool as heck.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just wish they were Fast Attack or Elites rather than Heavy Support, they're fighting for a valuable slot and I can't justify to myself dropping a Grav-Tank or my precious Shield 'nought.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

I just wish they were Fast Attack or Elites rather than Heavy Support, they're fighting for a valuable slot and I can't justify to myself dropping a Grav-Tank or my precious Shield 'nought.

You will get no sympathy from IW players.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Welcome to life in the Beaten Zone.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Allow me to re-iterate my point.

Troops are there to do two things. Take ground and take hits. The less troops in your FoC, the more the rest of your slots have to fulfill the previous roles. Taking ground is fine; vets can do it, so can Implacable terminators. But you cannot say it is more point efficient to allocate more points into the same mortal frame (T4, W1, 3+) to do the dying.

The whole discussion can be distilled into the following; what is better, a Support Squad with Volkite Calivers, or a Heavy Support Squad with Volkite Culverins?

Once you do the math, both damage outputs are ~ the same points wise. The question is how many shots do you want riding per wound. In a closed environment, like the one I suspect you are considering, the latter is favorable, due to the many benefits a smaller footprint brings. But once your enemy actually starts peeling caps back at you, your offensive output plunges. You may laugh to read "tacticals" and "offensive output" in the same sentence, but the plunge holds true for any other kind of utility you may use your troops for.

The aforementioned are my own points. The following is not, but serves to completely drat your argument.

This discussion has been had before, by more dedicated and grander neckbeards than us. The following :

http://www.navweaps....ch/tech-076.htm

is a NAVY research paper addressing just the topic we are discussing, albeit in a different form: what is more efficient, battleships or destroyers? Guess what the result is. The statistical maths (simulated) demonstrates that a larger group of destroyers are superior to a smaller group of more lethally condensed battleships. This holds true especially when the number of guns remains the same.

The rest of the world addresses the concept we are discussing as Distributed Lethality. It has become accepted naval doctrine for quite some time now. The N-Squared law is specifically why wargamers around the world, be they historic, modern or future, have always spouted boys over toys. Warhammer gamers have traditionally struggled with the concept, as the roll of victories my "2x Firewarrior EMP Platoon" had demonstrated back in the day. And I hear Kroot can snipe now. Hell, if I go back to Tau I could take down the Riptide meta all by myself.

Thank you for reading this. I spent an hour searching for the link (the whole site is a treasure-trove), before my browser made me re-write this post three times. Rest assured the beatings will continue until performance improves.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I dunno. The problem there is that destroyers can hurt battleships

If you over spent on tac marines, and you're fighting knights, good loving luck. There's only so much holding ground to be done when you put your points into boys and they put their into toys, so you don't have enough things that can hurt their toys.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Somebody please talk me out of building a tactical support squad with rotor cannons. They look so bad rear end but are so bad.

I'm a sucker for trap units. Like my recon marines in scout armor.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play Thousand Sons and they get Shred!!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I play Iron Warriors :(

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Arven posted:

They love dying in battle so rotor cannons are an A+ choice.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Buy the rotor cannon models and use them as Autocannon havocs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

I'm a sucker for trap units. Like my recon marines in scout armor.

If you really want to learn more about traps, you could PM Stanyer. He'll tell you all about them.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

If you really want to learn more about traps, you could PM Stanyer. He'll tell you all about them.

IE: HH7 Inferno
pages 222-239

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arven posted:

New thread title

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ghs6p8inY

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey Panascope, you could do this for your Dreadclaws. Looks like a regular drop pod with some necron bits attached:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yep. Thats a pod with triach stalker legs and spyder arms on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Its metal as gently caress is what it is.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I agree with the furry overwatch poster

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I love guard tanks but hate painting hundreds of guardsmen and sold most of them off.

But I kinda want to make a militia army using the doctrine that's all about grenadiers in rhinos, I love storm troopers.

Only after my iron hands gets to around 3k points.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

chutche2 posted:

Don't be a fool. Let the sweet resin call to you... It is only a small allied detachment...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Don't be a fool. Let the sweet resin call to you... It is only a small allied detachment...
Storm troopers and rhinos are all plastic...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

So I love guard tanks but hate painting hundreds of guardsmen and sold most of them off.

But I kinda want to make a militia army using the doctrine that's all about grenadiers in rhinos, I love storm troopers.

Another option is to go SA. They are a strong mechanized army. 10 dudes, 1 draconian etc

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

Another option is to go SA. They are a strong mechanized army. 10 dudes, 1 draconian etc

Yeah but militia gets rhinos which are dirt cheap

But also militia gets gorgons and baneblades which I don't think SA does, and I kinda want those

I heard gorgons are old and terrible but wanted one since their first IA appearance

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah gorgons suck :( They look amazing though.

Meanwhile draconians are some of the best transports in the game