Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Jack having his little meltdown in the middle of the fight was a nice touch to show off how hosed up the whole situation is too. Just swinging that club in every direction like he wants these stupid children to gently caress off already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Beautiful episode 3 spoilers:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Anyone else notice how the roles were reversed in a way? Usually, the big bad villain delivers a speech about the approaching heroes' fate should they proceed with their plan, which is usually cut short by the hero decrying their message and defiantly moving forward. This time, it was the hero who stated how the situation would go down, and what the ensuing combat would mean. I loved it!

Agreeing with everyone who's been saying that this show is art. It's staggering, it truly is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress

*gently caress*

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

DarklyDreaming posted:

THEY'RE COMING :frog:

Yeah so who else basically leapt out of their seat from that?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Jack is a cool customer and dealt with the cultists coolly

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah so who else basically leapt out of their seat from that?

It was well done, your expecting another 10 seconds of the shows usual slow and silent pace and then the frog yells.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

VJeff posted:

They spent way too much time characterizing the daughters for that to be it, so I think the three that fell survived.

In the original series, they spent an entire episode dedicated to the making of a sword. Going through countless incredibly difficult trials, culminating it a fight to the death of the entire clan for the right to wield it.

Then the victor waited for his prey - the samurai.

Who took him out in a heartbeat.

Sometimes you gotta take your time setting things up.

Today's episode of Samurai Jack was brought to you by the colours white, black and red. And the letter THEY'RE COMING!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I liked the shot of the seven daughters minus one after the temple. Nice subtle indication that they were not properly balanced.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
It's nice to know that even in the messed up dystopian future, good dogs will be good dogs

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mr.Tophat posted:

Anyone else notice how the roles were reversed in a way? Usually, the big bad villain delivers a speech about the approaching heroes' fate should they proceed with their plan, which is usually cut short by the hero decrying their message and defiantly moving forward. This time, it was the hero who stated how the situation would go down, and what the ensuing combat would mean. I loved it!

Agreeing with everyone who's been saying that this show is art. It's staggering, it truly is.

I took that whole spiel as Jack justifying the murder act he was about to commission on the lot of them, more than anything. The flashback to his father chopping up the bandits and Jack echoing his father's words seemed to imply to me that he believed these women were rational actors whose choices in life lead them to this point, when we the audience know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

This show seems to love gut punching Jack, so I imagine the Tara Strong daughter is going to stick around long enough for Jack to get clued in if nothing else.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2017

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Fantastic episode. Had a little too much blood for my liking; I think it was starting to border a little on gratuitous. But easily forgotten with the insane poo poo going on. The entire fight was so sad, what with Jack resigning to killing them, and the assassins being so hosed up. They didn't even know what a loving deer was! Why would you send them out to the world like that?? The assassins were so tragic. I didn't want to see anyone die :(

I recently watched a lauded, big budget blockbuster movie with somewhat some similar themes and was loving bored out of my mind. Almost every conflict was bereft of tension or consequences. The three 20 minute episodes of this cartoon I've seen kick the poo poo out of that movie. It's so nice to watch a piece of media and have something stir in my dead black heart :unsmith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rewatching the episode, yeah holy poo poo Jack's dad literally cuts the dude in half and sprays his young son in the face with blood. :stare:

Normally, I'd get annoyed with this kind of retconning, but it makes total sense for any child to block that out from their memory in retrospect.

Cabbit posted:

I took that whole spiel as Jack justifying the murder act he was about to commission on the lot of them, more than anything. The flashback to his father chopping up the bandits and Jack echoing his father's words seemed to imply to me that he believed these women were rational actors whose choices in life lead them to this point, when we the audience know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

It makes sense since, at least this way, they are given full warning that they risk death by pursuing this further and will not be pursued if they run away.

That's more 'honorable' or 'ethical' than unintentionally slitting someone's throat or, worse, intentionally catching someone off-guard like some common thief. That's about as much as you can rationalize murder to an honorable samurai guy and reconciling their stained life path with their original honorable intentions. If anything, Jack seemed to get some of his old samurai mojo back when he became focused and less morally confused this episode by offering them a clear choice.

Like an earlier poster mentioned, this is like an inverse villain's speech: instead of the villain psyching out the protagonists, it's the protagonist psyching himself up by absolving himself from the morally ambiguous actions he is about to take. It's not explicitly worded that way by Jack, but I think that's the whole point of the 'face your destiny' speech.

(IE, Instead of worrying about the morality of the individual, focus on how amoral circumstances led up to this point leaving no other peaceful alternatives. So it goes, etc.)

tl/dr; What I'm saying is that there's a lot to unpack here and Samurai Jack is really good.

e2: Other things I liked:

-Contrasting Jack's primitive 'caveman' like appearance and resourcefulness with the intimidating 'Shiva' battle formation of the Daughters of Aku

-The similarity of the blood lines on Jack vs the wolf representing their spiritual kinship

-A weird Chuck Jones/"Duck Amok" vibe with how the Daughters of Aku are visually imposed on a blank background chasing after Jack.

There's just a lot to read into with this episode. Less visceral but more subtle than the last episode, honestly.

e3: Also, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Ashi's rant seems less personally angry at Jack and more like a brainwashed hatred of Jack brought on by psychological conditioning. There's a pretty big (if subtle) difference between the two and it gives plausibility to Ashi eventually changing sides.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 26, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kefkafloyd posted:

Jack's completed his transformation into a modern Snake Eyes with his New Dog Friend Timber™. I approve.

edit: also there was something darkly funny about Jack just letting Ashi drop as she ranted futilely at him. it was just so over the top.
I read that as him hoping that maybe she'll say something that he can reach out to, human to human, quickly having the exhausting realization that lol nope gotta kill her.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Back when the reveval was first announced, I went back and rewatched the whole series. Season 1 was kind of bad. It was thoroughly a kids show and nothing better. Season 2 started to show promise, and could keep my interest most the time. Seasons 3 and 4 were were it really shined, and where the cool experimental stuff was mostly at.

So far every episode this season has been head and shoulders above anything in the other seasons. It has exceeded all of my expectations.

Whajack

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I'd say something like half of Season 1 was already starting to show promises of what was to come (esp. the final battle of the introductory three episodes), though I agree stuff like the same-face aliens and the space episode were pretty bland.

Yet somehow they ended up in the intro sequence for the entire series. :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Rewatching the episode, yeah holy poo poo Jack's dad literally cuts the dude in half and sprays his young son in the face with blood. :stare:

Normally, I'd get annoyed with this kind of retconning, but it makes total sense for any child to block that out from their memory in retrospect.

It's not really a retcon, though, so much as a life experience Jack hadn't had to reflect on before.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

THEY'RE COMING :frog:

(source)

good frog

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Blue Jack also reminded me a lot of the Jack from Aku's Fairytales episode, what with the jagged teeth and all.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm absolutely impressed at how they baited and switched from what I thought was going to go down as a more painful experience for Jack. Sure, they showed his corrupted old self basically become a blood thirsty suicidal monster, but then the bleeding in the cave scene happened and it was like the old cartoon took one look at the society Jack could come from, Feudal Japan, and realized the boy probably saw a fair share of the old ultra violence. His reversal big speech that was both begging them to not escalate this scenario while morosely confirming he was willing to kill them if they chose this destiny, were words he took right from his father. What gave him the conviction to center himself and be ready for this fight, besides the TLC of wolf buddy, was reconnecting and emulating his father - rekindling his original motivation of persevering and returning to his past.

The fight with the remaining daughters was eloquent, especially in how it maintained reveling the spectacle of the area transitions and the action more than savoring some buckets of gore. Every deathblow he gave remained precise and quick as he could deliver making some of their deaths instantaneous. I was also impressed by how he ran around and was clouded by the white fog like a makeshift robe. It seems the Daughter's initial strength was just flowing up from a very successful ambush, something that Jack used against them in brutal efficiency with a caveman spear.

The real power of episode 3 though was the Frank Miller-esque utilization of limited vibrant colors to show character depth and shape with only red, black or white. The artistry of the cave scene cannot be stated enough. The way blood sculpted their bodies and showed their pain without words was beautiful and Jack at its absolute core.

And finally, from the first three episodes it seems Samurai Jack Season 5 is simply taking the narrative of a wild random ride of fate to our story's ultimate end. Players come, go, make their jokes and have their fights; however, there is no verbose meticulous dissertations and philosophy that is going to take up episodes worth of useless lipflapping. From riding in the dunes, to being chased by visions into the ambush with the daughters, to surviving the temple and riding the river, to fighting through the woods and off of a cliff. Everything so far seems to be a constant motion to a path we cannot see, but hope that will take us back -- back to the past and the ultimate end. 5 chose a simple plot and I couldn't be happier than I am floating down this crazy blood covered river with all of you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'd say something like half of Season 1 was already starting to show promises of what was to come (esp. the final battle of the introductory three episodes), though I agree stuff like the same-face aliens and the space episode were pretty bland.

Yet somehow they ended up in the intro sequence for the entire series. :v:

Season 1 has some of my favorite epsisodes of the series but it also has some of worst. I'm glad that the pilot movie was so good because if the first episode anybody saw was the "domesticating animals = slavery" debut of season 1 I doubt they would have stuck around.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Everything was amazing and tense, but my favorite bit is still near the start when Jack's in the river and we get an overview shot of him, and the blood's shape makes him look like Aku scurrying away after a random defeat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's a good thing Jack did that dog sidequest back in season 1, otherwise he'd be toast now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The deer scene is proof positive why you shouldn't homeschool your kids. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poo poo, I forgot to mention about the snow acting as a pseudo-robe for Jack in my notes above. The episode, in many ways, was Jack attempting to return to his old form despite new challenges.

Great post!

e: The bleeding statues scene you mentioned also made Jack look very reminiscent of the viking magma man in the 'Jack and the Lava Monster' episode.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 26, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Supersonic Shine posted:

In any case, I look forward to the Mother's inevitable comeuppance.

Remember though; she might ALSO have been abused in the exact same way. Many abusers in real life learned their behavior after THEIR abusive parents...who learned from their abusive parents...and so on and so forth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that although the story *is* simple it's also expressing SO drat MUCH just through the visuals and pacing. This is 100% visual storytelling at its finest.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Escobarbarian posted:

I love that although the story *is* simple it's also expressing SO drat MUCH just through the visuals and pacing. This is 100% visual storytelling at its finest.

If the season can keep up the same level of quality it's had, then it's going be be mandatory viewing in animation classes for like the next 50 years.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Told you guys Jack wouldn't have any moral issues with killing humans. Freaked him out, sure, but he did grow up among warriors who didn't have any robots handy to kill.

I also have to say it's kind of funny how people are reacting to Jack's brutal Daughter takedowns when he spent the entire show doing much worse to humanoid robots. But then I suppose that's related to why the older seasons could only show robot deaths...

No, he did have moral problems with killing the girls. That's why his initial mental reaction was a more vicious blue Jack fantasizing about how terrible their inevitable next meeting will be. What gave him clarity and peace as he healed with the wolf was remembering a probably very traumatic event in his childhood where his father had no choice but to kill some bandits to defend his family. The emperor didn't relish the act and he tried to gently wipe the blood off of his son's face once it was over. And as I said, Jack's whole speech was taking almost word for word for what his dad said to the bandits trying to dissuade them from going through with this. What gave Jack the strength and conviction to go through with killing the Daughters was remembering his purpose, his connection and dedication to his past, his mission and his family like his father.

I really doubt the Emperor killed people on a regular basis in front of Jack, which is why he still has an aversion to unnecessary death like he still somewhat thinks for the Daughters, especially with how Ashi ranted at him like a literal stunted child. He tried to give them one last chance to just leave him and live, but they were all too brainwashed to not seek their death. As someone else said, when the fight was going on and he just swung wildly with the mace, he was showing how much he didn't want to kill these broken young women and his frustration with how they just keep coming no matter how many he struck down.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Everything was amazing and tense, but my favorite bit is still near the start when Jack's in the river and we get an overview shot of him, and the blood's shape makes him look like Aku scurrying away after a random defeat.

My god i thought that swirling and slithering looked familiar

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I want to speculate!

So I'm positive the Horseman is Death. Specifically, this Death:

So firstly, the Horseman only shows up when death is being communicated. First with Jack's past, then the children he failed. It took visual center when Jack was wrestling himself with suicide and the notion was only entirely dismissed when the temple appeared in the mist over its shoulder, indicating another choice. Stalks him through the woods as he's bleeding out. Wham, bam, it's Death.

Now onto speculation! If this is indeed meant to be reminiscent of the tarot Death (with this being the most famous depiction, the Rider-Waite set), it has more significance than simply death, or an end. It also means rebirth and transition. And in the way tarot cards work, you propose a specific subject and play the cards as an answer. The core message of the Death tarot as an answer is "giving up all that is superficial and concentrating on what is basic, fundamental and truly important." So every time the Horseman appears, it's not only the looming option of death but a reminder that Jack is distracting himself from the absolute goal: Defeating Aku.
Furthermore is the use of the color green. Colors are always used as shorthand communication and green is a neat little color in that it has opposed meanings. It can mean evil, illness and death, but it can also stand for regeneration, growth and life. Given the context this clearly is meant to represent the former, but it does double down on that tarot idea by having the second implication hanging in the back. So while the Horseman is brought on by a looming obsession with Death (That's bad!), Jack ultimately uses it to change his way of thinking and find his way out of a dire situation. (That's good!)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
As a quick question, loving the show so far, but is like Aku totally aware that he will die/lose if he fights Jack and that's why he's hiding in a giant fire castle or something? It sounded like when he pitched Jack into the future it was totally understanding he was boned if he fought fairly.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

As a quick question, loving the show so far, but is like Aku totally aware that he will die/lose if he fights Jack and that's why he's hiding in a giant fire castle or something? It sounded like when he pitched Jack into the future it was totally understanding he was boned if he fought fairly.

Yes.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I loved the episode but I also hope this ends well so I can still go back to watching more innocent S1-4 Jack with a light heart.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm 100% that the speech Jack recites is what the bandit lord trying to kill his father says before he gets totally owned, and that was why the scene was so heavy for me, because it signifies that Jack is not choosing to defend himself so much as he is choosing to trap and kill them. Like, he draws first blood with his two opening shots and it goes am from there, he could have easily kept running. I think this means that the rest of the season is Jack taking the fight to Aku.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Servaetes posted:

He probably expected to be able to kill Jack in some other way; or failing that, he'd wait till he grew old and died. But now that even THAT'S not working, well...he's in a bit of a bummer.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Servaetes posted:

He lost the first confrontation, and Jack has the only weapon that can defeat him. So he thought that if he tossed Jack into the future he'd have plenty of time to prepare, but even that wasn't enough as Jack just mulched his way through hordes of robots and bounty hunters.

So eventually he decided to just try to wait Jack out, and that isn't working either.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

He lost the first confrontation, and Jack has the only weapon that can defeat him. So he thought that if he tossed Jack into the future he'd have plenty of time to prepare, but even that wasn't enough as Jack just mulched his way through hordes of robots and bounty hunters.

So eventually he decided to just try to wait Jack out, and that isn't working either.

"But he hasn't even ayyyyyyyged... I mean like at all! He jus' grew that stuuuuupid BEARD...it looks like'll be here FOREVARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! I...I jus' don't know if, I can HANDLE that, eh..."

"Yessss. It's seemzat the initial, time travel, hazaffected, the ayyyyyyyging process... It's quiiite the conundrummm"

I don't know about you, but I was laughing so hard throughout that entire therapist scene. Everything about it was perfect, from the sheer zaniness of Aku talking to himself, the way Baldwin was speaking in such a slow, exaggerated manner, to the fact that they BOTH sounded the exact same...it was hilarious.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

MadJackal posted:

Beautiful episode 3 spoilers:

This whole sequence was my favorite part of the episode. It just oozed style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Servaetes posted:

Aku flung him into the future because Jack was just one blow away from killing him for good when they first fought; Aku is fully aware that he's at his most vulnerable if he's ever in a straight-up confrontation with Jack's sword, so he (mostly) takes great pains to only ever directly confront him when he knows or thinks he has the upper hand (I.E. when Jack loses his sword fighting zombies), something that will let him overpower the sword (the armor of Cronos Jack gathered for him while he was disguised as a hermit), or otherwise can remove the sword from play (when he challenges Jack to a fisticuffs duel).

• Locked thread