Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

so tite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Maybe I feel this way because I live in a city where you can clear out a bar by yelling "Kolton! Some dude's messing with your dad's Mercedes!" but

There is absolutely no loving way Kentucky fans are worse than Duke fans.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

shirts and skins posted:

Maybe I feel this way because I live in a city where you can clear out a bar by yelling "Kolton! Some dude's messing with your dad's Mercedes!" but

There is absolutely no loving way Kentucky fans are worse than Duke fans.

Kentucky fans usually have some good excuse for their overriding homerism like being from Kentucky or being a U.K. alum

Duke fans are just dudes that look they should be named Chet

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how I should feel about UW losing Porter, but I also think it was time for Romar to go. We have the person who's probably gonna go high in the draft yet we still went 9-22. Porter will probably be a one and done, which isn't a great way to build a program I would think, unless you can constantly recruit them.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Oregon is the first Pac-12 team to make it to the Final Four

When UCLA made it in 2008 it was the Pac-10

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I was salty and misspoke, there is truly nothing worse than Duke fans.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Probably Magic posted:

Joe Paterno/Penn State fans.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Probably Magic posted:

Don't worry friend. The UK fans I've encountered are a close second.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure how I should feel about UW losing Porter, but I also think it was time for Romar to go. We have the person who's probably gonna go high in the draft yet we still went 9-22. Porter will probably be a one and done, which isn't a great way to build a program I would think, unless you can constantly recruit them.

Romar was a super excellent amazing recruiter, he just happened to be a very bad coach.

I expect to say this same thing about Cuonzo in about three years.

Actually maybe one year will do it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Grittybeard posted:

Romar was a super excellent amazing recruiter, he just happened to be a very bad coach.

I expect to say this same thing about Cuonzo in about three years.

Actually maybe one year will do it.
I think Cuonzo can coach defense, but his offenses are ugly.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's a shame too, because Romar was universally loved up there. Apparently a great guy, excellent mentor, and all that. Probably why he was so good at recruiting.

He just couldn't coach. At some point that catches up with you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TBeats posted:

Last time Oregon made the final four, Germany invaded Poland five months later and started World War 2.

I dunno if you guys pay attention to current events but thanks for World War 3, Oregon.

Wasn't the NIT the more important tournament last time Oregon made it to the Final Four?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Wasn't the NIT the more important tournament last time Oregon made it to the Final Four?

Yes. It was the very first NCAA Tournament

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
n: oh well

v: gently caress unc

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

gvibes posted:

At Missouri State, his offenses were really good. His last two stops, it's been all defense.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor bitch

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Just woke up from a really bizarre dream that the South Carolina men's basketball team made the Final Four. Anyway, I hope the actual tournament has been cool.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gvibes posted:

All college basketball offense is ugly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Just woke up from a really bizarre dream that the South Carolina men's basketball team made the Final Four. Anyway, I hope the actual tournament has been cool.

could you imagine if USC beat UNC in the national championship game?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I had never heard of this NCAA Referees team before this year, but they really have left it all out on the court. Congrats to their fans on their big victories yesterday.

:respek:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
The woman's tournament was eventful yesterday, with 1 seeds Baylor and Norte Dame both going down. This is significant both because it shows just how competitive the women's game is getting, and because now the top three teams pegged as giving UConn the most trouble (ND, Baylor and Maryland) are now gone before UConn even sees them.

And UConn is expected to be a much better team next year.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
speaking as a former Kentucky resident, Kentucky fans are the worst and I do believe UL/UK rivalry is more toxic than UNC/Duke.

For starters, UK fans are on the Kobe /Red Sox/Yankees fans level of obnoxiousness . Except even more obsessed because UK basketball is all they have, especially for the rural fanbase.

But theres also a socioeconomic AND racial undertone with the UK/UL rivalry. Im sure you all remember Adolph Rupp had a wonderful reputation for his racial views.

Not to mention, UK fans have nothing but bad things to say about the city of Louisville, calling it a city full of thugs and debauchery (its the most racially diverse city in the state). This is also funny when you consider that Louisville is pretty much the only thing that keeps the state of Kentucky afloat. UK is also seen as the "rich kids" school too so we theres some Duke level elitism as well.

Im a Louisville Alumni so i might just be a tad biased

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Democrazy posted:

The woman's tournament was eventful yesterday, with 1 seeds Baylor and Norte Dame both going down. This is significant both because it shows just how competitive the women's game is getting, and because now the top three teams pegged as giving UConn the most trouble (ND, Baylor and Maryland) are now gone before UConn even sees them.

Hmmm....:what:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Knives Amilli posted:

speaking as a former Kentucky resident, Kentucky fans are the worst and I do believe UL/UK rivalry is more toxic than UNC/Duke.

For starters, UK fans are on the Kobe /Red Sox/Yankees fans level of obnoxiousness . Except even more obsessed because UK basketball is all they have, especially for the rural fanbase.

But theres also a socioeconomic AND racial undertone with the UK/UL rivalry. Im sure you all remember Adolph Rupp had a wonderful reputation for his racial views.

Not to mention, UK fans have nothing but bad things to say about the city of Louisville, calling it a city full of thugs and debauchery (its the most racially diverse city in the state). This is also funny when you consider that Louisville is pretty much the only thing that keeps the state of Kentucky afloat. UK is also seen as the "rick kids" school too so we theres some Duke level elitism as well.

I'm sure, as a Louisville Alumni, you are not pleased with UK fans/alumni response to the death spiral UL seems like it's in. There is literally no compassion there that I can find and it shouldn't really be that way.

Also, trust me when I say that rural UK fans also see Lexington as some sort of bastion of urban carnage.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

tadashi posted:

I'm sure, as a Louisville Alumni, you are not pleased with UK fans/alumni response to the death spiral UL seems like it's in. There is literally no compassion there that I can find and it shouldn't really be that way.

UK fans irrational hatred for anything Rick Pitino touches should tell you everything you need to know about how petty can be. He saved their program even more so than he saved UL.

As for Louisville, its clear the NCAA wants Rick gone. Thats the endgame here. 15 Seconds of Sypher is still being held against him IMO. And the Chris Jones scandal as well.

I love Rick but he's approaching albatross status with UL. Even moreso when you factor in his attitude on starting freshman.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I didn't feel like UK fans really turned on Pitino until he brought the roof down on his own head but that could be anecdotal. My friends who were still in Lexington when he signed with UL still respected him even though they wanted to beat him. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then and they certainly aren't the usual rabid UK fan, though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Despite how happy it makes me as a UConn fan, the downside of their domination is that it really brings attention away from all the great games that are being played. The women's tournament has had some great runs by the likes of Quinnipiac and Oregon, but you would never know it from the overall coverage, unfortunately.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

Despite how happy it makes me as a UConn fan, the downside of their domination is that it really brings attention away from all the great games that are being played. The women's tournament has had some great runs by the likes of Quinnipiac and Oregon, but you would never know it from the overall coverage, unfortunately.

I will never watch a large amount of women's basketball until Geno Auriemma fucks off.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I will never watch a large amount of women's basketball until Geno Auriemma fucks off.

What's wrong with him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

What's wrong with him

He's the Brock Lesnar of Women's basketball.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Democrazy posted:

I can't believe UConn women are actually supposed to be better next year, they already dominate everyone. It's probably obvious, but UConn is terrible for the women's game. Well, the general lack of competitiveness is bad for the game in general. It's not terribly exciting to watch when you know who's going to win.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't pay attention to Brock Lesnar

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TBeats posted:

I don't pay attention to Brock Lesnar

exactly

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tadashi posted:

I'm sure, as a Louisville Alumni, you are not pleased with UK fans/alumni response to the death spiral UL seems like it's in.

I gotta say speaking as a fan of a team that just went through a death spiral and was excited as goddamned hell for Cuonzo Martin of all coaches (even before the Michael Porter Jr thing happened) Louisville is not in a death spiral.

When they hire a D2 coach just because he once played there we can talk.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really don't see how UConn could be good for womens basketball. I remember in some past years when there were actually several teams that could win the title, I would watch womens ncaa tournament games. But I have no interest when I know how it's going to end already.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lmao even my wife won't watch women's basketball because she knows it'll be UConn every loving year.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nolan Arenado posted:

I really don't see how UConn could be good for womens basketball. I remember in some past years when there were actually several teams that could win the title, I would watch womens ncaa tournament games. But I have no interest when I know how it's going to end already.

Bingo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Knives Amilli posted:

Not to mention, UK fans have nothing but bad things to say about the city of Louisville, calling it a city full of thugs and debauchery (its the most racially diverse city in the state). This is also funny when you consider that Louisville is pretty much the only thing that keeps the state of Kentucky afloat. UK is also seen as the "rich kids" school too so we theres some Duke level elitism as well.

I think the tiebreaker for me is that, yeah, UK fans are the worst, but have they ever actively rooted for a team that has Grayson Allen or a Plumlee Brother on it? Like, I can't think of a single Wildcat that's been that punchable. Also, jokes about inevitable sanctions aside, Calipari actually cares a lot about his kids and having a fun style, while Coach K is just a huge prick.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Nolan Arenado posted:

It's a real problem because is has no solution other than Auriemma losing his touch or other teams simply getting better. It shouldn't be a question of facilities, because if it was, other programs should be able to outspend UConn. And if it were recruiting violations, Pat Summitt probably would have found something when she alleged violations in the recruitment of Maya Moore.

So what do you do? Tell Auriemma to ease up? Tell the women playing for him that they should go easy and let someone else have a turn? There's no good answer there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I gotta say speaking as a fan of a team that just went through a death spiral and was excited as goddamned hell for Cuonzo Martin of all coaches (even before the Michael Porter Jr thing happened) Louisville is not in a death spiral.

When they hire a D2 coach just because he once played there we can talk.

It's not just the team. The University is on notice that it's accreditation is in jeopardy because of the actions of the Kentucky governor.

• Locked thread