Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

yes, I know what you're responding to, it's just that "but age of sigmar is bad" is a super weird response to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiler Kiwi posted:

he failed a stupidity check :newlol:

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

It's owed more to the point that "it's trash balancing" is a super weird response to anything Warhammer.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like complaining!!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Syrnn posted:

It's owed more to the point that "it's trash balancing" is a super weird response to anything Warhammer.

no it seems like a pretty reasonable response to someone praising the trash mechanic in question

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Syrnn posted:

You seem to think that because Warhammer tabletop is badly designed trash that any video game based off Warhammer should naturally be badly designed trash as well.

That is very stupid.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Or I made a post about how Lizardmen had Stupidity and itseems it hit a nerve in the thread? Also Jesus Christ reading comprehension:

Syrnn posted:

Right, I don't think it really has a place in a real-time strategy, but it was about what exactly was holding the No Obvious Drawbacks Lizardmen in check.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Anyone play multiplayer?

I jump into online battles several times a week. it's actually quite addicting to use your funds to come up with the best army you can against what you think you might be facing

There's some balance issues but what game doesn't have those

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

multiplayer battle vids get posted with some frequency and i think there's a goon tournament going on

lizards should receive movement penalty in cold weather and speed bonuses/vigor penalties when struck by fire magic, imo

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

oswald ownenstein posted:

Anyone play multiplayer?

I jump into online battles several times a week. it's actually quite addicting to use your funds to come up with the best army you can against what you think you might be facing

There's some balance issues but what game doesn't have those

A bunch of us play multiplayer quite a bit (I think Mukip is still on the first page of the leaderboard). There is a discord where people sometimes gather:

https://discord.gg/FNKHU

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lizards should receive movement penalty in cold weather and speed bonuses/vigor penalties when struck by fire magic, imo

imo the time has come for full Total War: Warhammer: Dominions.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that would pure madness

*destroys the planet by summoning a second sun on turn 40*

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I kind of wonder if the Lizardmen will have a funky currency and training system. Lizardmen don't care about gold as currency at all. I figure they will have an alternate system like the Vampire Counts.

As far as spawning new units, I wonder if the idea of the spawning pools will make their unit recruitment have a special gimmick to it.

In the lore, skinks saurus and kroxigor all spawn fully formed from sacred pools. They emerge from pools fully formed and trained. Units all spawn together, instinctually understanding how to carry out their role. The Lizardmen can't control the spawnings, new warriors spawn in quantity and frequency nobody understands.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Also raises the question of how do you recruit Slann to lead your armies? There are like, five, of those dudes left and they're not getting any younger.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Vlex posted:

Also raises the question of how do you recruit Slann to lead your armies?

With a shovel.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

maybe it'd be slann shards or something

big lizard that a slann mindcontrols

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Syrnn posted:

Back on the Total Ham front of things: for Wood Elves is there any real use for Glade Guard other than as cheap filler? Move and fire is pretty useless seeming on front arc only since I'm not faceplanting them into enemy units, and they feel like they rout as fast as Empire spearmen. Almost every other ranged unit has vanguard, 360° firing arc, and better damage to boot. Is there any reason not to just fill my main line with eternal guard and wardancers?

No idea about MP but in SP Glade Guard are excellent and I have no idea why you think they're interchangeable with EG or wardancers. Line of melee guys in front, line of GGs behind, Wild Riders running riot over everything else took me through two WElf campaigns. The other ranged units are expensive and have tiny unit sizes which means that their higher damage is mitigated by firing fewer arrows to begin with, and all that vanguard does is mean that your vulnerable bow elves are closer to things that want to beat them up in melee instead of being safely ensconced behind a line of spears and shields.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Corrode posted:

No idea about MP but in SP Glade Guard are excellent and I have no idea why you think they're interchangeable with EG or wardancers. Line of melee guys in front, line of GGs behind, Wild Riders running riot over everything else took me through two WElf campaigns. The other ranged units are expensive and have tiny unit sizes which means that their higher damage is mitigated by firing fewer arrows to begin with, and all that vanguard does is mean that your vulnerable bow elves are closer to things that want to beat them up in melee instead of being safely ensconced behind a line of spears and shields.

To be fair the elite archers have gotten substantial buffs recently, but yeah. Glade Guard are by themselves better than virtually any other races missile units. Even the ability to fire while walking forward is a hefty micro advantage and helps minimize downtime between volleys.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Glade guard are basically all you need if you ask me. But I haven't used elves in MP much

I'm a bit of a dawi fan myself and that's a struggle - there's a lot of chariot spam and cycle charge cheese that I'm learning to deal with

Clan Angrund isn't cutting although I'm trying them against VC to deal with the ethereal spam

Skolder guard have to be one of the unsung heroes though - you can't really protect them against fliers (except with some slayers) but if you swing them around they will absolutely decimate all infantry.

I usually get something like 150-250 kills on that unit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vlex posted:

Also raises the question of how do you recruit Slann to lead your armies? There are like, five, of those dudes left and they're not getting any younger.

I bet it'll just be one of the variants for lords, sort of like how Brets get Damsels and Knights or Empire gets Lords or Arch Lectors to run armies. Lord Kroak as LL, but he's a mummy or a statue or something for sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Corrode posted:

Yeah, wood elfs have an almost perfect roster. Need AP? We have infantry and ranged variants for that. Need anti-infantry? Honestly, everything they have is anti-infantry. Anti-large? Most of their melee is anti-large, actually.

I'm trying to think of things the wood elfs lack, and can't think of anything. They're just the best and strongest race, especially on the campaign map. They don't get walls, I guess? Their flyers are poo poo? But Empire doesn't even get flyers, so whatever.

Wood Elfs are the master race.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Empire gets flier lords which is pretty nasty

Speaking of which, I hate matching against empire because there are so many viable builds they can make

Just got owned on a tree map where I'm expecting the usual cannon/steam tank + handgunners spam, so I brought 2 cannons and a grudge thrower...so he just goes into the forest and couldn't reposition

edit: gently caress tree maps, artillery is an important part of dwarfs

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Lassitude posted:

Trolls in tabletop have the Stupidity rule. In TWW they behave like any other unit. Frenzy is an acceptable way to lose control of units, but Stupidity would be another of those tabletop rules which would be incredibly unfun to port over. "Sometimes the unit becomes unresponsive and just stands there" is some lame poo poo.

You'd have to change the way the rule works. I think something like "Can't manually disengage" would work, but how often are people disengaging non-cavalry units in this game?

Stupid units just trading blows until they panic and run away makes sense to me anyway.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

jokes posted:

Yeah, wood elfs have an almost perfect roster. Need AP? We have infantry and ranged variants for that. Need anti-infantry? Honestly, everything they have is anti-infantry. Anti-large? Most of their melee is anti-large, actually.

I'm trying to think of things the wood elfs lack, and can't think of anything. They're just the best and strongest race, especially on the campaign map. They don't get walls, I guess? Their flyers are poo poo? But Empire doesn't even get flyers, so whatever.

Their weaknesses become more apparent in MP, where they are good but definitely not steam-roller good. The trick to beating Wood Elves is mostly just forgetting about all the AP concerns you normally have and focus on numbers and mobile units. Wood Elf infantry just can't engage even light melee units for an extended amount of time without taking heavy losses and things like massed cavalry they can't counter with Wild Riders is also hard for them. Wood Elf Players mostly fear stuff like Ghouls, Battle Pilgrims and Forsaken that other races largely don't even see as obstacles.

Campaign is a slightly different story just because they get hella buffs, so Wood Elves start out kinda scared and vulnerable for a while until they hit a turning point with techs where they're nearly unstoppable.

madmac fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Was it Attila where you can burn forests down with fire arrows and projectiles?

I kinda want to see that come back if only to see what kind of mess I'll get into after my Dwarves start a forest fire.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

They completely lack artillery of any sort besides Arrow of Kurnous kind of sort of.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep Age of Smegmar out of this thread you fuckwits!!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Tried a Skarsnik campaign, tried burning down the elf forest. Succeeded. Used my nigh unlimited stack of cash (100k+ buys a LOT of gobbos) to destroy all of humanity. Got sniped by Angrund while out out on crusade. 10/10 would Skarsnik again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kanos posted:

They completely lack artillery of any sort besides Arrow of Kurnous kind of sort of.

Each unit of swiftshiver shards scouts is artillery enough!

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
It's loving dumb that my huge 15 card garrison can't sally forth and break its own siege if it's besieged by like one general.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

beanbrew posted:

It's loving dumb that my huge 15 card garrison can't sally forth and break its own siege if it's besieged by like one general.

It can :ssh:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

... You can? Have you tried clicking on the settlement and having it attack the lone general?

If it's a legendary lord, you might have to manually battle because for some reason they have an annoying tendency to survive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What in tar-fuckin-nation!???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Explain you are self.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'm pretty sure you just click the settlement and right click the siege stack.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ya'll have seriously never sallied using a garrison before?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

beanbrew posted:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Beamed posted:

Ya'll have seriously never sallied using a garrison before?

I'm a newbie and I never would have even thought to attempt it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've played 300 hours and didn't know about it. Don't know about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It took me months of Rome 1 to figure out I could alter formation depth by pressing < and >.

• Locked thread