Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

You ran into him when going through the shopping mall to get to the forest.

I mean after that. I know he runs a materials shop, but I figured you'd encounter it as part of the story or something. Nope, he's just a-puttering around after an arbitrary point in the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
99% of what he sells is useless.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If it makes you feel better, I played the entire game and never encountered his shop once.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

99% of what he sells is useless.

Well the other 1% is Titanium Alloy so it would have been really appreciated!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jesus christ

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Well the other 1% is Titanium Alloy so it would have been really appreciated!

Emil would have appreciated it if you had looked at your map. He's lonely you know.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

So obvious question maybe, but is there actually any benefit to playing on higher difficulties? I'm decent at Platinum games but "every enemy hits three times as hard" mixed with the Dark Souls-esque equipment loss system doesn't seem like a great time.

Early on its better to just play on normal. Later on when you become immortal from chip use it might be better to go hard mode since the enemies act diffrent in it too. Of course the main problem with hard mode is it needs a bit of chip grinding so you dont die in one shot. On normal you can do fine with just +4 chips at best and attain immortality.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ClaytonClaw posted:

So I was just about to buy it on PS4, but it's so expensive. Is there a more affordable non-day one edition coming soon?

I give it like two months before it's on sale

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Some early quest gave me a +6 Defense diamond chip. I added in a low auto-heal, a little +Max HP, a Deadly Heal for 30% heal per kill, and an Auto-Item of any rank (just in case) and i could just slam the palm of my hand on the face buttons for almost all fights in the game and win.
The one notable exception was the one with the, uh, long-necked enemies. You know the one. Suddenly, game was hard again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, what does the diamond on some chips mean, I never did figure it out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Diamond means it has the lowest (= best) possible slot usage for its rank. Like, 4 slots at +0, 5 slots at +1, 6 slots at +2 etc.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It means they have the lowest possible slots for their level/effect.

I think the def+6 quest reward chip i got was a 21 clunker (so that's still randomized) but i still rolled with it for 80% of the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah, what does the diamond on some chips mean, I never did figure it out.

It just means they are the lowest cost possible.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything i can spend money on in this game? I bought all the weapons and pod programs i could find, and upgraded all weapons to min. lv3, and i still have like 1.5 mil sitting around at the third ending.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

Is there anything i can spend money on in this game? I bought all the weapons and pod programs i could find, and upgraded all weapons to min. lv3, and i still have like 1.5 mil sitting around at the third ending.

Go talk to the bobbleheaded tutorial lady in the resistance camp.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HenryEx posted:

you may or may not need to buy a significant amount of expensive materials for level 4 weapons

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, to get your weapons upgraded the rest of the way you'll probably be buying some poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

One thing I really liked in Ending E was When Square Enix appeared and started filling the screen with bullets. That video just started playing in my head on repeat. poo poo Square Enix indeed.

Also Emi Evans flying around at top speed and generally being a dick. I hope that was intentional.

e: its a good thing this wasnt by ubisoft

McDragon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Latest version of FAR fixes cutscene stuttering on PC. Shine on you crazy diamond, Kaldaien: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HenryEx posted:

Pretty much everything the wandering shop sells at the Resistance Camp route is extremely useful.

Did you buy (Route C lategame spoilers) Pascal's weapons?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished NieR the right way

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

Pretty much everything the wandering shop sells at the Resistance Camp route is extremely useful.

Did you buy (Route C lategame spoilers) Pascal's weapons?

No, i walked out on him. Didn't know there was anything to buy.

What's that wandering shop exactly? I only remember 4 shops at the resistance camp, and none of them are "wandering" or sell anything really useful.

Wish one of them would sell booze.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can get e-drugs in the game that make your vision distorted. It's great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HenryEx posted:

No, i walked out on him. Didn't know there was anything to buy.

What's that wandering shop exactly? I only remember 4 shops at the resistance camp, and none of them are "wandering" or sell anything really useful.

Wish one of them would sell booze.

It's Emil's shop.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

What's that wandering shop exactly?

Take a good look at your map next time you're around the city ruins (map markers are dependent on vertical positioning, so you gotta be about level with the normal ground of the ruins before it'll show up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that one. It's more City Ruins than Resistance Camp so i was a little confused.

Once i got the email notification to hit up said shop, i went there and bought all weapons. On any subsequent visits, there were only some lame chips or heal items on sale though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah that one. It's more City Ruins than Resistance Camp so i was a little confused.

Once i got the email notification to hit up said shop, i went there and bought all weapons. On any subsequent visits, there were only some lame chips or heal items on sale though.

It moves to directly outside the resistance camp as one of its possible locations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

The inventory cycles out - each location he pops up in has a number of possible loadouts. After getting a third non-joke ending, he'll have a chance at having all the rarest weapon upgrade materials for sale.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HenryEx posted:

That shop loadout comes back, and you can buy rare upgrade materials from him. You just got the wrong route, I think.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While i'm here, can i just express my satisfaction over the fact that there's a chip whose only purpose is to add death screams to enemies you kill. Best use of 6 memory slots i can think of.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

HenryEx posted:

While i'm here, can i just express my satisfaction over the fact that there's a chip whose only purpose is to add death screams to enemies you kill. Best use of 6 memory slots i can think of.

Wait I remember hearing about that before the game came out but I never even found it. What's it called

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nina posted:

Wait I remember hearing about that before the game came out but I never even found it. What's it called

IDK what it's called but it's sold by Devola & Popola. Said merchant also sells the best quality-of-life chip in the game, the item auto-pickup chip.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snak posted:

It's weird that you get some From 9S at the beginning of Route C, we're off to wipe out the machines, why did you give me this? Should've held on to them considering everything that happens.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's called "Death Rattle".

Also i thought when the game tells me i get access to the (past 3rd ending)debug menu, it would provide me with a fun little cheat mode, but no, it's literally just a developer debug mode, complete with console font overlay on the current screen render.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Snak posted:

also you can find a bunch of androids tweaked out on it in the desert

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Things I don't particularly understand: why *did* the machines in the fairground and the village go crazy?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

Things I don't particularly understand: why *did* the machines in the fairground and the village go crazy?

I assume it was the red dress girls ending their experiments and converting them to harvesting metal for the collectors

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Speculate with me (Big Spoilers): If 2B's job was to kill 9S whenever he unearthed the glasses from They Live, then does that mean by extension that 2B has known about the humans being dead the whole time?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Instant Grat posted:

Speculate with me (Big Spoilers): If 2B's job was to kill 9S whenever he unearthed the glasses from They Live, then does that mean by extension that 2B has known about the humans being dead the whole time?

I choose to assume that's right yeah. It explains why she'd hate saying the whole "Glory to mankind" spiel at the start and clenches her fist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

This is a good point that I hadn't really thought about.