Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my god what the hell even is this game anymore :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would you leave the trench?! :psyduck:

The British's foolishness of leaving the trenches open drew them into a false sense of security.

The British had a rough start, but right now they're in as good a position as they could hope for. The Germans are only a little bit past the river, and they'll have to fight real hard to get further. At this rate they'll never reach Coq.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh my god what the hell even is this game anymore :psyduck:

Seriously it is so completely random and dumb at this point.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

The British's foolishness of leaving the trenches open drew them into a false sense of security.

The British had a rough start, but right now they're in as good a position as they could hope for. The Germans are only a little bit past the river, and they'll have to fight real hard to get further. At this rate they'll never reach Coq.

Units move further than I thought and it looked like the Germans in the trench abandoned the trench to try and cross the river. I still think it was silly of them to attack out of the blob, but :shrug: c'est la vie

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Ughhh Germany just ugh. Your opponent builds you a perfectly good fighting position, that you occupied FOR FREE and you say: nah gonna just go faff around in this open field for a few hours.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Germans in the trench all died when they took a little jaunt up north past the occupied British trench. The dudes out in the open field are new infantry.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Germans in the trench all died when they took a little jaunt up north past the occupied British trench. The dudes out in the open field are new infantry.

I misread/remembered their orders. Either way if you take a fighting position your opponent built, you should maybe consider that they are going to want to use it, and will probably walk right into you if you just sit and wait.

It's that scene from Band of Brothers where Easy is in a perfect ambush position but Sobel gets antsy and gets everyone killed but with pixelmans.

Eta: steinrokkan flipping his poo poo in the German thread worth the price of admission though.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 26, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Germans are still in a good position -- not the winning position they could have gained that round, but still okay. As long as they hold their ground for the moment and don't try to push hard until their reinforcements arrive, the BEF can't really do much to them.

The cavalry move out of the trench was yet another time when they were saying, "it'd be really bad if there were units in this direction... so let's ignore that option since it's too terrible to imagine".

Perfect information would have them stop in the North, and actually bring more force in the South to take the trench, but since the southern bridge crossing feels like a mistake, they're probably less likely to capitalize on it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Primo salt from Stein in the German thread, 10/10.

You'd think that after the last round AND MULTIPLE PEOPLE INCLUDING TRIN EXPLICITLY POINTING IT OUT AS A MAJOR FLAW IN THE POSTMORTEM, they'd stop splitting their forces and halfassing two things instead of wholeassing one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well the Germans a trying to focus all their forces in the north, they're just trying to blindly charge through enemy territory to do so. I guess they thought the entirety of the British Army was hiding in Effyaders. That's why they've lost two units of cavalry by sending them charging away from perfectly defensible positions.

I suppose it's nice to try to make use of the cavalry's mobility, but it didn't work out at all.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Developing a position properly takes time, and as was mentioned​ during the last battle is it seems there is no patience by the leaders in either army to wait and get intelligence. Both armies are blundering around groping in the dark for some sight of the enemy when really they ought to have sent out scouts, formed a battle line, and deliberately engaged (or maneuvered into an advantageous position, or if charged hopefully held until reinforcements arrived). Instead the brigadiers in both groups seem destined to forever use their units as bludgeons as opposed to scalpels.

This battle has in no way been a serious engagement but instead a series of running skirmishes that have cost both sides large numbers of completely avoidable losses.

I am waiting for a commander to figure out they can space out their companies to better cover their area of responsibility and reduce the risk of everyone getting mowed down by a hot set of rolls (and provide a line of reserves that can continue to hold position rather than having the entire brigade rout every single time the two sides meet).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The british have old, wrong intel about where the german arty is, whereas the germans have accurate intel on where the british arty is.

However the british seem more interested in counter-battery than the germans.

Utter chaos. this game is so good.

edit: some idiot on the german side just leaked their own maps in the tg recruitment thread.

Splode fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 26, 2017

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Lol tilt incoming.

As punishment for posting Intel to an open thread trin should slice the German map into sixths, roll a die, and give the Brits the corresponding section. Say it was dropped by a dead kraut brigadier.

(I'm not serious)

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 26, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
To be frank, not painting that trench on the German map was a huge oversight. I doubt they would have tried manoeuvring north if they had seen it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Looks like the Germans are throwing in the towel!

God drat you Trin, you've got me on a WWI trip, I'm doing An LP of the AGEOD game, reading Ring of steel, I've just prepped a division of British troops for painting - and now I'm watching Tony Robinsons WWI while pinned under a sleeping baby.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 26, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder what the Entente are going to make of this announcement.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I hate this mentality. The moment something goes wrong, people on the losing side are DOOMED, DOOMED! and ready to quit. Everyone's only willing to play as long as they're winning.

EDIT: At least Flesnok should have resigned just for himself, not for the whole team. But he's basically saying "sorry everyone who still wants to play - tough luck, I don't."

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 26, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It looks like hes going to be replaced by his men.
Just play it like Moltke having his nervious breakdown....

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah, just shoot him for cowardice and replace him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Clearly the map-post in the TG Recruitment thread was a subtle psyops attack on the BEF. Any honorable BEF soldier would have to resign from battle over having illegal knowledge after seeing the maps.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It marvels how these sorts of threads keep popping up when it plays out the same.

THE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS THREAD PLAYED OUT THE SAME

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wow, Steinrokkan is loving PISSED.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
For good reason, I'd say.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:allbuttons:

What the hell did I wake up to.

E: Ah, the Spirit of Sandman yet lives

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 26, 2017

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Internet generals are giant babies, film in the German thread. (Hope all this poo poo talking I've been doing doesn't count against me when I join a side for next round)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Any match that ends with the Germans west of La Dand is some kind of victory, even if they're having problems establishing themselves west of the river.

Who ever heard of a WWI general quitting because he felt bad about ordering men to their deaths?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I get their frustration. The results don't read right. The turns are just wipeouts of one side or the other. Maybe the sequences are too long or the orders are too rigid or something but it's actually stressful to read as an observer. Game developers know that you can't keep saying "they're not playing it right" eventually you have to acknowledge it's setting them up.

And yeah, real war is all hell but this is still a game.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I think xthetenth's battle doctrine has become popular after the last battle because everyone just keeps charging blindly. And countercharching. Without knowing what's there or stopping to spot, plan or wait for artillery. Except that little firefight down by the bridge, people seem to have forsaken rifles. It's bayonets all the way... that's why the battle is so brutal and unpredictable.

I mean, at the very least I'd expect conditionals like "if the enemy is about half strength compared to us, charge, otherwise stop and use rifles." Nope, it's always charging under all circumstances. Maximum élan!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
On the one hand, the Germans seriously don't deserve this bullshit. They're putting in tons of work. Jaguars, oystertoadfish, or Saros are working their asses off, aphid is always there in the background, they never stop talking. They keep losing in exchanges in spite of that work, not because of it.

On the other, gently caress is that army doomed to always get the dregs to go with the best. Flesnolk was doing okay as Corps commander - I, for one, know just how much work it is to check the minutiae and make sure everything is sorted, and that it is not an easy job at all to herd all those cats - but mentally he broke to an absolutely disgraceful level.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, just Oystertoadfish alone is a one-man staff department, he's incredible. It's interesting to watch, really. The Germans could be absolutely hammering the Entente if the ghost of Sandman, memories of Dejeuner, and a few other problems weren't haunting them so much.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 26, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In the German thread posted:

Oh, right, those guys still exist... Hopefully for once things go our way and they fail to respond.

:negative:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, Tatonkatonk's new orders seem like he gets it, at least. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
What's most amazing is that one absurdly lucky cavalry charge last game made everyone magically forget the half-dozen or more suicidal charges against entrenched positions from that exact same game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Corbeau posted:

What's most amazing is that one absurdly lucky cavalry charge last game made everyone magically forget the half-dozen or more suicidal charges against entrenched positions from that exact same game.

What charges against entrenched positions?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

WWI.txt

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Honestly, I think the powers that be really just need a reminder that they're not actually expected to go further then the middle of the map anyway, short of grand shows of success.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Are you trying to imply that the glorious and infallible German/Entente general staff can't manage a breakthrough and be in Paris/Berlin by Christmas? :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Corbeau posted:

Sure those all failed, but the one successful charge shows that it will work, eventually. So the faster bayonet charges are ordered, the faster we will eventually succeed!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Oh man, have I chosen a good moment to finally start reading this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm interested by the new southern defencive line, it seems to give up a lot of land and give the Germans a lot of land to cover, something like my red line below would be move efficient.

• Locked thread