Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Communism good?
This poll is closed.
Yes 375 66.25%
No 191 33.75%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

caps on caps on caps posted:

So? This is immaterial to the fact that it is a transformation, just as Marx said, and furthermore that the belief in these latent human aspects is a critical pillar of communist theory, as stated by Marx: the true human being is a social being. And social means acting and feeling, and enjoying and even loving in accordance with the societal wellbeing. In terms of theory it is the idea that humans become social optimizers, which they are not under private property, which Marx also writes. And certainly not now. So this change is important, and whether it is true nature, as Marx writes, or not, it is a transformation, as he also writes.

You can argue all you want about this, but it is absolutely clear from Marx' works that he envisioned the end of alienation simultaneously as end of men vs. men problems of all kind (he wrote this literally).
So if this does not occur as predicted, then communism can not be successful.
And this is exactly the degree to which it works on paper.

Do you believe that the true human nature is social?

it hasn't mattered for the last 20-30 years what marx said on paper because what he advocated has never worked out in practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it hasn't mattered for the last 20-30 years what marx said on paper because what he advocated has never worked out in practice

-HOmer simpson

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Flowers For Algeria posted:

And at the bottom of the pile of bad ideologies, is everything you believe in, hakimashou.

No the stuff I believe in is good. Good and pragmatic.

Its actually way up on top of the other pile, the pile of good stuff.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

So? This is immaterial to the fact that it is a transformation, just as Marx said, and furthermore that the belief in these latent human aspects is a critical pillar of communist theory, as stated by Marx: the true human being is a social being. And social means acting and feeling, and enjoying and even loving in accordance with the societal wellbeing. In terms of theory it is the idea that humans become social optimizers, which they are not under private property, which Marx also writes. And certainly not now. So this change is important, and whether it is true nature, as Marx writes, or not, it is a transformation, as he also writes.

You can argue all you want about this, but it is absolutely clear from Marx' works that he envisioned the end of alienation simultaneously as end of men vs. men problems of all kind (he wrote this literally).
So if this does not occur as predicted, then communism can not be successful.
And this is exactly the degree to which it works on paper.

Do you believe that the true human nature is social?

And of course marxism doesn't accomplish any of this- quite the opposite. You end up with places like Russia and China where over the generations of marxist horror, the good becomes killed and starved and beaten out of the people.

In the whole of human history mankind has never come up with an idea worse than communism.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

hakimashou posted:

No the stuff I believe in is good. Good and pragmatic.

Its actually way up on top of the other pile, the pile of good stuff.

What political theory do you think is best.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hakimashou posted:

And of course marxism doesn't accomplish any of this- quite the opposite. You end up with places like Russia and China where over the generations of marxist horror, the good becomes killed and starved and beaten out of the people.

In the whole of human history mankind has never come up with an idea worse than communism.

this is good and correct

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rexicon1 posted:

What political theory do you think is best.

A Theory of Justice

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

A Theory of Justice

Is this the one where you execute the most people?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

hakimashou posted:

A Theory of Justice

What does this mean?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rexicon1 posted:

What does this mean?

Trolling

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rexicon1 posted:

What does this mean?

It's the title of a book...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My opinion is that we dont need ideology, people should just do what is right and good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hakimashou posted:

Hm, the liberal approach which states that people should be nice to each other because of their deep appreciation of abstract scenarios with shroud of uncertainty and other bullshit. What a rock solid foundation for a society.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

Hm, the liberal approach which states that people should be nice to each other because of their deep appreciation of abstract scenarios with shroud of uncertainty and other bullshit. What a rock solid foundation for a society.

He asked me what my favorite political theory was.

Obviously there's a lot more to life and to the best outcomes than "political theories," but Rawls' is my favorite political theory.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I'm a deeply ignorant person, what does the book prescribe.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm a deeply ignorant person, what does the book prescribe.

"Justice is fairness."

One of the biggest practical conclusions is that inequality is fine if it makes things better for the least well-off.

There's a lot in there, it's a pretty cool theory.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

yeah in theory. too bad it doesnt work in practice.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Yup.

In practice its about getting the best that you can from the realistic options available, and largely just about stopping the worse people from getting power.

Like it says in The Wire, "you gotta keep the devil down in the hole."

That's one reason 2017 marxism or communism is such a drag, because it undermines the good guys team.

Just look at britain, where a mad dog of the left is dragging the labour party down to nothing, leaving the tories unopposed.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 26, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mad dog of the moderately social democratic left.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Yup.

In practice its about getting the best that you can from the realistic options available, and largely just about stopping the worse people from getting power.

Like it says in The Wire, "you gotta keep the devil down in the hole."

That's one reason 2017 marxism or communism is such a drag, because it undermines the good guys team.

Just look at britain, where a mad dog of the left is dragging the labour party down to nothing, leaving the tories unopposed.

theres nothing john rawls writes about that is incompatible with communism and you're a dumbass

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

RBC posted:

theres nothing john rawls writes about that is incompatible with communism and you're a dumbass

The real world and its history are incompatible with communism.

"John Rawls is my favorite" is not identical to "John Rawls is all that matters."

So it's not important whether John Rawls' views are compatible with communism.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RBC posted:

actually it is you who is the dumbass

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Not to be that guy, but would you mind awfully supporting any of your bullshit with some evidence and/or argumentation like a grown loving adult.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There are lots of books about communism that go into very detailed examples.

Some good ones:

The Gulag Archipelago
The Great Terror
Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar
Gulag: A History
Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe
Mao's Great Famine
Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader

Also, in general, the second half of the twentieth century is not kept secret. The outcomes in eastern vs western europe, the outcome in North Korea vs South Korea, China vs Japan. It's also not been kept secret what's gone on in Venezuela the past decade or so.

As for the problems in Britain: it's current events, or see any of the Pissflaps polling posts in the UKMT for evidence of the damage Corbynismo is doing to all progressive forces there.

"Communism wasn't so bad" is holocaust denial with a red coat of paint on it.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 27, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The pseudo-psychological side of Marx is pretty dumb but the economics is tight af.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Capitalism has been tried many times, in many ways. For every life it improved it ruined two others.

We should try something else

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hakimashou posted:

There are lots of books about communism that go into very detailed examples.

Some good ones:

The Gulag Archipelago
The Great Terror
Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar
Gulag: A History
Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe
Mao's Great Famine
Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader

Also, in general, the second half of the twentieth century is not kept secret. The outcomes in eastern vs western europe, the outcome in North Korea vs South Korea, China vs Japan. It's also not been kept secret what's gone on in Venezuela the past decade or so.

As for the problems in Britain: it's current events, or see any of the Pissflaps polling posts in the UKMT for evidence of the damage Corbynismo is doing to all progressive forces there.

"Communism wasn't so bad" is holocaust denial with a red coat of paint on it.

Are you tony blair?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone seriously recommending you turn to Pissflaps for anything of value has immediately discredited themselves.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ah yes noted erudite scholar of our time; Pissflaps.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Pissflaps is a sage, but more to the point, he's invulnerable to ankle-biting personal attacks in this case, because he just posts polling data.

As strong as the urge must be to attack the person rather than the argument, or the person rather than the facts, at the end of the day, Corbyn's performance is indefensible.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Communism doesn't work on paper if humans are not equally transformed to a new, completely social identity (cf Marx).

Wait a minute, though. Your quotes don't argue to that effect - you're reversing the order. Marx says that communism will transform human social identity, NOT that human social identity must first be transformed or else communism can't work. Now, sure, the former is a pretty tall claim and the latter is a commonly made argument, but they're not the same thing. Marx is the guy who says material circumstances give rise to social relations, not vice versa.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 27, 2017

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

Wait a minute, though. Your quotes don't argue to that effect - you're reversing the order. Marx says that communism will transform human social identity, NOT that human social identity must first be transformed or else communism can't work. Now, sure, the former is a pretty tall claim and the latter is a commonly made argument, but they're not the same thing. Marx is the guy who says material circumstances give rise to social relations, not vice versa.

dude I get that, I quoted him directly. I am not the "Marxist-who-hasn't-read-Marx" itt.

But think for a minute about the details of communist production as given in the manuscripts. A consequence of what he is stating is that if Communism does not lead to this change in human behavior and really, utility, then communism can also not solve alienation of men to men, which necessitates exchange because people's welfare does not EQUAL social welfare, which is exactly the mode of production Marx wants. And we are not talking about approximate social welfare here. In a communal Marxian system, NO exchange of anything is AT ALL necessary.
this is his point

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

hakimashou posted:

"Anarchism," if you can be charitable enough to describe the degenerate fever dreams of anarchists with an -ism, is even worse than communism when it comes to relying on people to somehow change their basic dispositions for it to work.

The few times Anarchy has been put into practice, things seem to have gone pretty ok until someone with a lot more military power decides to end things.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BrainParasite posted:

The few times Anarchy has been put into practice, things seem to have gone pretty ok until someone with a lot more military power decides to end things.
An ideology that falls over the instant someone looks at it the wrong way isn't terribly useful. The most fundamental problem with anarchism is that it's hard to fight wars without a state or something like it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Robert C Allen's Farm to Factory is a good economic history of the USSR and concludes its performace was actually not bad in comparative perspective, at least until the 1970s

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 27, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BrainParasite posted:

There is no other way it could be.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hakimashou posted:

Pissflaps is a sage, but more to the point, he's invulnerable to ankle-biting personal attacks in this case, because he just posts polling data.

As strong as the urge must be to attack the person rather than the argument, or the person rather than the facts, at the end of the day, Corbyn's performance is indefensible.

So, you've got the polling data saying that labor should be right-wing like when Tony Blair ran it, right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Panzeh posted:

So, you've got the polling data saying that labor should be right-wing like when Tony Blair ran it, right?

Labour wasn't "right wing" when Blair ran it. But they did a bunch of big polls actually, especially prominent ones in 1997, 2001, and 2005.

Compare/contrast with his party's fortunes under its current leadership.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Don't listen to the American tell you why the UK Labour party of all things is struggling at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

dude I get that, I quoted him directly. I am not the "Marxist-who-hasn't-read-Marx" itt.

But think for a minute about the details of communist production as given in the manuscripts. A consequence of what he is stating is that if Communism does not lead to this change in human behavior and really, utility, then communism can also not solve alienation of men to men, which necessitates exchange because people's welfare does not EQUAL social welfare, which is exactly the mode of production Marx wants. And we are not talking about approximate social welfare here. In a communal Marxian system, NO exchange of anything is AT ALL necessary.
this is his point

Well like, it'd also be a consequence of of what he is stating that if communism did not end poverty and exploitation that communism couldn't work, but neither of these are actually examples of communism not working on paper. They're both just benefits Marx expected us to reap from it.

• Locked thread