Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Welp, the wife ended up buying me the Korg Minilogue for my birthday and I couldn't be happier. But I definitely need to upgrade my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) so I have more inputs/outputs and that supports MIDI In/Out. This might be better in the audio interface thread but this one seems to get quite a bit more traffic.

I was looking at the Scarlett 6i6 because I have been really happy with my 2i2 and it has all of the features I need for a reasonable price. However, I am not sure if I am handicapping myself by taking only a small leap up in terms of Ins/Outs. Is it worth the money to invest in something bigger now and what models are worth looking into? The hardware I currently use includes: Microphone (Vocals), Microphone (Instrument), Traktor Kontrol S2, KRK Rokit 6 Monitors, secondary Yamaha HS5 monitors, and now the Minilogue. I don't need to run all of that at once but like the option of running two sets of monitors for production. I primarily use Ableton and Traktor Pro 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MrSargent posted:

Welp, the wife ended up buying me the Korg Minilogue for my birthday and I couldn't be happier. But I definitely need to upgrade my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) so I have more inputs/outputs and that supports MIDI In/Out. This might be better in the audio interface thread but this one seems to get quite a bit more traffic.

I was looking at the Scarlett 6i6 because I have been really happy with my 2i2 and it has all of the features I need for a reasonable price. However, I am not sure if I am handicapping myself by taking only a small leap up in terms of Ins/Outs. Is it worth the money to invest in something bigger now and what models are worth looking into? The hardware I currently use includes: Microphone (Vocals), Microphone (Instrument), Traktor Kontrol S2, KRK Rokit 6 Monitors, secondary Yamaha HS5 monitors, and now the Minilogue. I don't need to run all of that at once but like the option of running two sets of monitors for production. I primarily use Ableton and Traktor Pro 2.

I started with a 6i6 and while it served me well for a couple of years, eventually I needed more. Eventually my setup had synths with ins and outs so I can daisy chain them for now (in a way).

The other option is to get a mixer. The Focusrite have great mic preamps for the price (so I'm told - I never use mics) and this way you can invest in a good mixer that's easily found used rather than going with something like an 18i8 (for example) that probably has way more outputs than you'd need.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I want to keep my setup as simple as I can and would prefer not to add a mixer into the mix (heh). I think in the next couple years, I could see myself getting a Roland TR-8 and possible another polysynth. What interface would I need to support that growth?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I honestly believe that if you're using hardware, a real physical mixer is just as important to the workflow and experience as everything else.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I also think you should consider getting a mixer. A mixer just seems to be a better fit for where your setup appears to be heading.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Don't get a mixer if your planning on multitracking your synths, do get a mixer if your planning on mostly jamming.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah I don't tend to "jam" a lot and maybe I just don't really see where the value is in adding a mixer to my setup. I multi-track in Ableton as part of my production process and I am getting really comfortable with that and would prefer to continue down that path.

Edit: It looks like the next step up from the 6i6 is the 18i8 which runs about $100 more. I am not opposed to spending that additional money but I guess if I am going with a $350 interface, are there other brands that are comparable/better I should be looking at? Focusrite is really the only one I am familiar with but have been very happy with it.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 27, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MrSargent posted:

Yah I don't tend to "jam" a lot and maybe I just don't really see where the value is in adding a mixer to my setup. I multi-track in Ableton as part of my production process and I am getting really comfortable with that and would prefer to continue down that path.

Edit: It looks like the next step up from the 6i6 is the 18i8 which runs about $100 more. I am not opposed to spending that additional money but I guess if I am going with a $350 interface, are there other brands that are comparable/better I should be looking at? Focusrite is really the only one I am familiar with but have been very happy with it.

I just bought an 18i8, and the super nice thing about it is for another $200 you can buy a Behringer ADA8200 and add 8 more channels of analog input. I love the zero-latency monitoring and routing capabilities, and it sounds decent.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm sold on the 18i8. Guitar Center on lunch break here I come.

java
May 7, 2005

Selling my Volca Beats over the Gear Trade thread if anyone's interested. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542&pagenumber=101#post470735464

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MrSargent posted:

I'm sold on the 18i8. Guitar Center on lunch break here I come.

I have the old Firewire version of it, the Saffire Pro 40, and yeah, it's an excellent interface well worth the money.

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
If anyone's a fan of Folktek and hasn't heard of this yet, they've got a thing going for a new little standalone modular thing. Eurorack compatible, and full of those little breadboard connections he seems to like so much. And it's like 250 cheaper than retail if you get in on the crowd-funding poo poo.

I'm real hyped to get it, since I've always wanted a Folktek thing, but could never justify it. Sounds like they're planning on shipping in July/August.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Holy poo poo guys I have only used the Minilogue for 30 minutes and I am hooked. It sounds beautiful right from the start.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Seawaffle posted:

If anyone's a fan of Folktek and hasn't heard of this yet, they've got a thing going for a new little standalone modular thing. Eurorack compatible, and full of those little breadboard connections he seems to like so much. And it's like 250 cheaper than retail if you get in on the crowd-funding poo poo.

I'm real hyped to get it, since I've always wanted a Folktek thing, but could never justify it. Sounds like they're planning on shipping in July/August.

I don't know anything about this sort of synthing but I kinda want to buy it based on looks alone.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
My op-1 won't turn on or charge :(
I'm not looking forward to the repair hassle and the idea that this might happen again at some time in the future.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Anyone seen any more details on the SEM-X eurorack module that was revealed at NAMM?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

havelock posted:

My op-1 won't turn on or charge :(
I'm not looking forward to the repair hassle and the idea that this might happen again at some time in the future.

That board is on a ribbon cable, it might just need to be reseated.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Startyde posted:

That board is on a ribbon cable, it might just need to be reseated.

I'm working with support, but it feels more complex than that - it starts in boot loader mode just fine (so I know the screen works, etc). The current suggested plan is to fully deplete the battery and see if we can basically start fresh.

java
May 7, 2005

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm looking for samples to stick on my Volca Sample. Are there any go to sites y'all use to download sample packs? In particular, looking for some 808 sounds.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You can probably find something good on the Free Sample Library tag on Synthtopia: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/category/computer-music/free-sample-library-computer-music/
For 808 sounds in particular, http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/03/19/free-sample-library-features-classic-808-sounds-with-vintage-12-bit-crunch/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

java posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm looking for samples to stick on my Volca Sample. Are there any go to sites y'all use to download sample packs? In particular, looking for some 808 sounds.

Goldbaby http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/ is awesome, but I think his 808/909 stuff is pay only now. Cool samples though and lots of color options. His free stuff is interesting but not always useful: http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php is AMAZING, lots of free stuff and worth donating to.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Goons, I'm jonesing to buy my first hardware synth and a Bass Station 2 is looking real good.
There's a few others that are sold at stores near me and kind of around the same price range, like the MicroBrute (ok, that one is like a third cheaper but still), the Roland Boutiques, the MS-20 Mini or the Mini/UltraNova. Any of these I should consider instead?
I just wanna make sweet (harsh) robot bleeps & bloops and ambient stuff. I've been messing around with DAW-s and VST-s on-and-off for years now but it's just not the same.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Angryhead posted:

Goons, I'm jonesing to buy my first hardware synth and a Bass Station 2 is looking real good.
There's a few others that are sold at stores near me and kind of around the same price range, like the MicroBrute (ok, that one is like a third cheaper but still), the Roland Boutiques, the MS-20 Mini or the Mini/UltraNova. Any of these I should consider instead?
I just wanna make sweet (harsh) robot bleeps & bloops and ambient stuff. I've been messing around with DAW-s and VST-s on-and-off for years now but it's just not the same.

you could waste the money you save getting the microbrute on a eurorack case which it would be most compatible with :getin:

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
microbrute is extremely geared towards harsh robot bleeps and bloops, restrain yourself and slap some reverb/delay on it and it'll do ambient too
and also leaves you with money to buy more garbage with

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Legowelt has samples from the ER-, DX200, and the BOSS DR660, the latter having some 808 and 909 samples.

EDIT: I just got a BSII and it can go pretty harsh. If you want de-tuned sounds stay away from the micro. The Korg Monologue, Minilogue, an MS-20 mini should also be in the frame. The ARP Odyssey is a little too pricey, but I think it equals the BSII- BSII cant do pitch FM, Odyssey doesn't have presets.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Thanks for the advice. Played around with a Bass Station II on Monday and a Microbrute today, both were super fun to play around with.
The ARP Odyssey is out of my range for now, (800€ for that, 300€ for a Microbrute, 450€ for a Bass Station 2)
Gotta go back there and play with some more stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I just got a Korg Minilogue for my birthday and couldn't recommend it enough. For $500, the set of features is amazing and the sound is super warm from the start when playing default saw waves.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The BSII is a lot of bang for the buck, with a lot of featues you wouldn't expect on a low end monosynth- velocity, aftertouch, overdrive, distortion and filter FM. I think the real hangup is the multiplexing, and no catch mode, where if a knob and present value are mis matched it waits until you turn past that point to update, instead of jumping around. Also, keytracking is always 100%. The Monologue should be roughly 300 euro, and the Minilogue 500. They are not everyone's cup of tea soundwise but the monologue has some unique sequencing and scaling features and the minilogue is the cheapest analog poly you can get.

EDIT, OK Maybe the Volca keys is, buy only saw and ringmod square are available, with a single osc per voice.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
the keys is also rather trash when trying to fit it into a mix, but ymmv i guess

java
May 7, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

Goldbaby http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/ is awesome, but I think his 808/909 stuff is pay only now. Cool samples though and lots of color options. His free stuff is interesting but not always useful: http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php is AMAZING, lots of free stuff and worth donating to.

thanks for these links! I'm pilfering the poo poo out of these sites.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

java posted:

thanks for these links! I'm pilfering the poo poo out of these sites.

I just started loading samples up for my disting today, so this was timely for me!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Also taking advantage of those sites for loading up my Circuit. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm still working out whether I'd rather have a Drumbrute or go for a Volca Beats/Bass + Beatstep Pro setup, but I suddenly find myself spending a lot more time with my synths after taking the Rhythm Wolf out of the setup on a whim, so I definitely have an idea who the culprit for my recent synthing inertia was.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Angryhead posted:

Thanks for the advice. Played around with a Bass Station II on Monday and a Microbrute today, both were super fun to play around with.
The ARP Odyssey is out of my range for now, (800€ for that, 300€ for a Microbrute, 450€ for a Bass Station 2)
Gotta go back there and play with some more stuff.

If the MS-20 is within your budget, I'd say it's a no-brainer. It's super-versatile, and will keep you interested forever...

java
May 7, 2005

So this is terrible, but I got an OP-1 a few months ago and it's just not the right thing for me and my work flow. I can stick this up on SA-Mart or the Gear trades thread, but is anyone interested in buying it?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm still working out whether I'd rather have a Drumbrute or go for a Volca Beats/Bass + Beatstep Pro setup, but I suddenly find myself spending a lot more time with my synths after taking the Rhythm Wolf out of the setup on a whim, so I definitely have an idea who the culprit for my recent synthing inertia was.

A solid alternative to the beats is the sample since it's very much like a non-analog old school drum machine.

And it actually has a several good snare sounds instead of one bad one.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Thanks for the help goons, went and bough the Microbrute two days ago and that thing is a ton of fun to play around with.
Just connected it to my PC too (just directly line out to line in, can't really tell that the quality is shittier in any way) and adding effects - like delay - in Reaper makes a huge difference.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Came with with a little melody thing on the minilogue I picked up a couple weeks ago. I still have no idea how to really use this thing but I like it and oh god I have enough music gear but I think the synth bug has bitten me. Anyone ever integrate a synth into a guitar effects board at the same time you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmaYMaYwA4A

Anyone have any good reads for a beginner synth dude? I really could use a guide on exactly what each section of this thing is doing to the sound.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There are a lot of folks on youtube who break down synth control panels section by section, like AutomaticGainsay, and that should help - they do it for individual synths, even (Minilogue and Microbrute are both in his list). That said, there's a lot going on with the Minilogue and it's a deep pool to dive right in. Godspeed :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sound on Sound's Synth Secrets is an excellent resource, it goes very deep but it covers fundamentals as well, and it's about general techniques rather than specific gear so it transfers pretty well.

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synth-secrets

The hosting situation has been a little weird for a while now, right now archive.org is your best bet:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm