Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This reads like a superhero origin story. Incredible powers manifesting after exposure to radiation chemicals WX particles? Check. A horrible scientific accident that unleashes these powers on unsuspecting victims? Check. Family issues for the hero? Check. Now we just need a supervillain and we'll have Anime Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This reads like a superhero origin story. Incredible powers manifesting after exposure to radiation chemicals WX particles? Check. A horrible scientific accident that unleashes these powers on unsuspecting victims? Check. Family issues for the hero? Check. Now we just need a supervillain and we'll have Anime Spider-Man.

Well, Spiderman didn't die of cancer at the age of 25, so that part's more "realistic" here at least.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yuuri has officially assumed the role of Exposition Girl.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's every character in this game.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm just glad my Procyon and msv hypothesis was vindicated by this update.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I have a feeling the disappeared dead girl is exactly what Watase suspects: someone is messing with his memories again. Except this Communicator did it to the whole entire group.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I even wonder if it even was what people are calling "the rage virus" or if a whole bunch of... basically noise particles just stopped people from thinking of other people as people.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CONFESSION: 09/16/2030, 15:59

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Astonished by the turn of events, Natsuhiko tried using empathy on Watase. He then heard Watase's mental voice.

{But where would she go...?}

So basically, Salyu probably woke up and went somewhere else, just as Watase had surmised.

(In that case, I should be able to contact her through telepathy.)

Natsuhiko tried doing so immediately.

{--Salyu, can you hear me? Please respond mentally if you can. I'll listen for your answer through empathy.}

And just as he had told her, he then tried using empathy on Salyu, but--

(... ... Huh!?)

No matter how many times he used empathy, he couldn't hear her mental voice.

(Wh-what's going on!? Why can't I communicate with Salyu!?)

Natsuhiko panicked as he tried to think of possible reasons. But there was only one thing he could think of.

(I see... Salyu's probably injected with AD.)

Now that he thought about it, there were signs that Salyu had been injecting herself. Like how they had found empty AD ampules in places where she'd been.

(Salyu doesn't know that this place is actually a BC research facility... So she must've read a disaster prevention manual somewhere and kept injecting herself with AD under the belief that it's a radiation inhibitor.)

But talking about that point with Watase would complicate matters. Natsuhiko concluded that Salyu waking up safely meant that she would probably be fine for the time being, so he changed the subject.

Do you think Salyu felt endangered and hid herself somewhere?
I sure hope so, but...
...Something bugging you?
She... might be searching for me.
Huh?
Searching for you? Why...?
I've said this before, but... that girl doesn't trust me at all. She herself told me and Tachibana why. You were unconscious, Natsuhiko, but... do you remember hearing that conversation?
N-no...
...I see.

Watase's expression rapidly became pensive. And the more Watase thought, the more uneasy Natsuhiko got.

I know both you and that Mashiro girl got shot, but... did you happen to see the face of the shooter?
N-no, I didn't. He was hiding his face.
... Honest?
Honest. Why do you ask?
Well... you might think it's weird for me to say this, but... I can't keep silent about it any longer.

Watase drew closer to Natsuhiko and continued.

The truth is, these strange images flash before my eyes whenever I see you kids! They're so vivid, like they're my own memories...! They're all disturbing images tinged with rage, fear, and bloodlust! Like me fighting with some sort of 'monster' or shooting someone from behind! So... maybe... I don't even want to think about it, but...! Was I the one... who shot you kids!?
Wha...!? What makes you think that!?
Salyu said... that I was a terrorist. That I was the one who shot you. But I tried not to think about it... because I'm supposed to be a rescue squad captain. After hearing everything Tachibana and Moribe said about me, I thought there was no way I could be a terrorist. But what about you, Yuuri...? You've been afraid of me ever since you first saw me, haven't you?
Ah, n-no...
Could it have been for the same reason...!? Because I'm not a rescue squad captain, but a terrorist!? Do you kids know who I really was before I lost my memory!? Please, tell me!

Even Natsuhiko could see just how thoroughly confused Watase was. Watase was probably scared to know the truth. And Natsuhiko was scared to tell it to him. However--

(We can't keep this up...! It doesn't look like we can keep deceiving him like this for much longer!)

Natsuhiko quietly asked a question.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Captain Kasasagi... do you want to regain your lost memories?

Both Watase and Yuuri's eyes widened at those words.

Hikorin!? What are you saying!?
I'm sorry, Yuuri. I know what I said earlier, but... now that he's noticed, we don't have much of a choice.
Wha... what are you two talking about? You don't have a choice in regards to what exactly--?
Don't worry about that now, Captain Kasasagi. Please answer me. Do you want to regain your memory?
...!
Once you do regain your memories, it may very well change who you are. The current 'Watase', the rescue squad captain who desperately struggled to save everyone's lives, could disappear. Once you learn the truth, your perception of the world could change. Your relations with everyone around us could take an about face and make enemies out of everyone... And once you know the truth, there's no turning back. Do you still want to regain your memory?

Watase silently pondered the question for a moment--

...Yeah.

And answered with a grave voice.

...I can't stand being in the dark any longer. I can't stand considering the possibility that I could be a bad guy... when I don't even know what it is I've done.

Natsuhiko understood Watase's bitter sentiment.

(... That's right. I thought you'd say something like that. You want proof that your will to save everyone, even at the cost of your own life, is genuine, don't you...?)

And with that consideration, Natsuhiko finally made up his mind.

...If that's the case, Captain Kasasagi, then allow me to tell you the truth. I've been lying to you all this time.
...!
Your suspicions were correct. The auditory hallucination you've been hearing was indeed my telepathy. {--Yes, just like this.}
Wha...!?

Watase's face froze instantly. Natsuhiko continued as Watase stared at him in total shock.

...Furthermore, I've been using empathy to listen to your mental voice all this time as well. I've also been sharing your senses. Everything you've seen, I've seen as well. But BC abilities don't stop there. ...I can manipulate memories. Your memories disappeared because of me.

Natsuhiko's words quietly echoed in the still shelter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Prepared: 09/16/2030, 16:03

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Watase was greatly perturbed by Natsuhiko's declaration.

(''I can manipulate memories''...?)

He would have laughed at the very idea of it under any other circumstances. But there was not a single trace of a lie in Natsuhiko's voice and face at that moment.

(... Is that true?)

He tried thinking that as a test, only to get an immediate telepathic reply.

(--!)

There was no longer any room for doubt. Natsuhiko was reading Watase's mind and talking directly into it!

(So people like this really do exist...!?)

Suddenly, the seemingly normal boy who'd been standing before him now looked like a monster wielding a mysterious power in Watase's eyes. And seeing as how she didn't look surprised in the slightest-- --perhaps Yuuri also had the same power.

Na... Natsuhiko.

Watase called out to Natsuhiko in a shaky voice.

If it's true that you erased my memories... then is it possible for you to restore them?
Yeah, of course.
Th-then please do it! The key to all these unsolved mysteries should be in my memories!
You're probably right. But... If I'm going be totally honest here, I don't want to do it. You understand what I'm getting at...!?
!?

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Watase pondered the meaning of those words. Why wouldn't Natsuhiko want to give him back his memories? He could think of only one answer for that.

Watase wanted to collapse onto his knees right then and there.

He'd used it to shoot Natsuhiko and left it there. If his theory was correct, then it explained everything. All the pieces had fallen into place.

(... poo poo!)

Watase gritted his teeth. He had no idea what kind of person he'd been before his amnesia, but there was no doubt he'd been a wicked man. That thought made Watase's heart feel like it would shatter into millions of pieces.

(Then does that mean I don't have a chance in hell of earning their trust?)

Trust-- that was the one thing Watase wanted more than anything else at the moment. There was absolutely no way he could rescue the ones he wished to save if they didn't trust him. He'd have to show them his resolve in order to gain that trust.

(Yes, that's right... the resolve to cast away my own life... But how do I show them that the ''past me'' and the ''current me'' are different...? Wait, I know...!)

He absolutely could not put himself above them. Watase then thought about the object in his breast pocket. --The pistol. It was the only way.

Natsuhiko...

Watase resolved himself and took out the gun.

!
Kyaa!

Their faces warped with fright. Natsuhiko stepped forward to protect Yuuri. But Watase calmly held out the gun-- --and gently presented it to Natsuhiko.

Take this. And then restore my memories for me after that.
... Huh?
Your greatest fear is the chance that I'll attack you guys 'again' once I get my memories back, right?
...!
So this is just a precaution... If I try to attack you as soon as I get my memories back, then shoot me down. Don't hesitate.
Wha... What!?
It sounds like my old self is a rather untrustworthy son of a bitch. But the current me...

...is probably different. Watase believed that. But nothing he ever said right now could convince them of that. So he had to express himself through actions rather than words.

...Please. This is the only way I can show you my sincerity. I'd rather die than kill you guys.
C-Captain Kasasagi...!

The earnesty of his plea seemed to finally draw a hint of trust out of Natsuhiko. Natsuhiko timidly stretched his hand out-- --and took the gun.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

TheMcD posted:

It sounds like my old self is a rather untrustworthy son of a bitch. But the current me...

Well, at least we're all in agreement. Still, things are about to get real :suspense:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat Natsuhiko. You found your mojo :suspense:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh man, this is getting intense!

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Oh if there's a bad end coming up soon, I want to see it badly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Coming soon to a theatre near you: Natushiko with a Gun vs. WATASEMANIA! :black101:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

EponymousMrYar posted:

Coming soon to a theatre near you: Natushiko with a Gun vs. WATASEMANIA! :black101:

Wait what's this?!

BY GOD IT'S KEIJI UKITA WITH A STEEL CHAIR! WHERE'S THE REF?? WHERE'S THE REF?!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

Wait what's this?!

BY GOD IT'S KEIJI UKITA WITH A STEEL CHAIR! WHERE'S THE REF?? WHERE'S THE REF?!

:allears:

God damnit Danaru, you're going to make me have to make a "thread stuff" section in the second post. I'm still not used to having something like that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Watase Kasasagi: 09/16/2030, 16:04

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The man's words and demeanor held not an ounce of insincerity.

(He really is a good guy deep down... a little awkward, sure, but still good.)

Natsuhiko found it highly unlikely that merely connecting with Watase's mind could've possibly produced such a noble character. Natsuhiko had always thought that Watase's rebirth from a deranged murderer to a completely different person after amnesia was only a temporary change. That Watase's true character was evil, through and through. But now--

(Could it the opposite...?)

Now that he thought about that possibility, it explained a lot.

(No, wait. It's not just Watase...)

(If some external cause is causing everyone to become vicious, then... Doesn't that make Watase just another victim here!?)

Natsuhiko had firmly believed ''original Watase = vicious terrorist'', but now that presumption quickly became suspect.

If he weren't a terrorist, then there was no way he'd bring a gun into the facility.

What was his purpose in coming to the facility in the first place? --Natsuhiko had the feeling he'd find the answer to all of those questions within Watase's memories.

...Understood, Captain Kasasagi. I'll restore your memory.
...Can I count on you?
Yes. I'm the one who erased it, so I'll be the one to restore it.

When those words left Natsuhiko's lips, Yuuri gasped and raised her voice.

Wait, Hikorin! I'll do it!
You?
You've never done restoration of erased memories before, have you?
I do have some experiece with memory fabrication, though. I'll be able to manage.
I'm not so sure. So I'll do it instead...
No, Yuuri. It's dangerous.

Natsuhiko stubbornly resisted Yuuri's suggestion.

It was so intense, it felt like it could've corrupted my own mind as well... I can't afford to expose you to that same malice.
No way... but then you'll be the one in danger, Hikorin!
...No, it's okay, Yuuri. I think I'm more resistant to the malice than you are.

Yuuri grew quiet for a moment, but she eventually made up her mind and spoke up.

...Then at least allow me to explain the memory restoration process in detail. There are a lot of things I need to warn you about beforehand.
Yeah, please do.

Yuuri thus began her explanation.

Those fragments are the visualization of the 'information' that fills the human brain.

Natsuhiko had guessed as much. Yuuri continued once Natsuhiko nodded to indicate his comprehension.

It normally takes a considerable amount of practice to reach the visualization stage... but it seems that you've already reached it.

You were, weren't you? So, all of the memories Captain Kasasagi originally had should be found within the visualized brain. The memories you deleted may be fragmented and unrecallable, but they should still be there somewhere.
Now that you mention it, Mom also said something like that in one of your memories...

So if you want to restore his memory to how it was-- You have to perform 'memory access' for 'all of the memories you erased'.
Memory access?
You take all of the target's memories and focus hard on which subject matter of memories you want to 'see'. Do that and you'll recompose the fragmented memories and return them back to normal. ...I know it might sound difficult, but all you really need to do is try to 'remember' the memories you want to see in the same simple way you would try to remember your own memories. Incidentally, when you saw my memories and Mashiron's, you were performing memory access.
Huh, was I?

I see... so that's what it was. So in other words, what I'm doing is borrowing Captain Kasasagi's brain and getting him to 'remember' his memories himself, huh?
Exactly. And that's because you're using Senses Sympathy to connect your brains.

--Which meant that to restore Watase's memories to normal-- Natsuhiko just had to do the opposite of what he did when he erased those memories. He had performed memory erasure with the criterion of ''all the memories composing Watase's personality''. So all he needed to do was perform memory access with the same criterion and view those memories.

Got it... Any other key points?
When reading memories, try your best to start from the oldest ones first, I guess. Because it's far easier to understand the target's past by going through it in chronological order. Another important point-- When you view a target's memories, your impressions influence the memories themselves. They cause subtle changes in the details of the memory, so be careful.
Subtle changes in the details of the memory? You mean like memory manipulation?
It's not exactly on the scale of manipulation-- but it's close. For example, let's suppose that in Captain Kasasagi's memory, you meet Lieutenant Tachibana, okay?
Okay.
If you think 'I like her' at that moment, then it'll give Captain Kasasagi a favorable impression of Lieutenant Tachibana as well. The opposite is possible, too.
You mean that even if reality doesn't change, impressions can?
Exactly. The images inside the head are ambiguous to begin with, you see... And so the impressions you have will become the 'truth' for the target. Never forget that.

Yuuri's warning reminded Natsuhiko of the words he'd heard a few days ago.

'Even if the truth doesn't change, feelings do.' 'There is no absolute truth.' 'The past is a haze of ambiguity.'

--That's what the ''phantom Yuuri'' said. And perhaps the same could be said in regards to reading other people's memory.

Should I try to keep my consciousness as flat as possible when I look through memories?
Sounds right. I've tried to do that too, for the most part. Those are all the key points... are you okay so far?

And with that, Natsuhiko mentally sorted through what he was told. There were three things he had to remember:

''To restore Watase's memory back to normal, Natsuhiko had to access Watase's memories of the past and view them.''
''To best understand Watase, Natsuhiko should read his memories in chronological order starting from the oldest.''
''Natsuhiko's impressions during Senses Sympathy influence Watase's memory. Thus, Natsuhiko should keep his consciousness as flat as possible.''

...Yeah, doesn't seem like there'll be any problems.
Okay. Then last of all...

Yuuri grasped Natsuhiko's hand.

Hikorin, even if it looks like you're about to lose to the malice within Captain Kasasagi's mind... I'll be there for you.

When your mind threatens to shatter, that should provide you with salvation.

Yuuri gazed at Natsuhiko as she spoke anxiously. Her words gave him courage more than anything else.

Yeah... Glad you have my back, Yuuri.

Yuuri smiled at Natsuhiko. And with the gun gripped in his left hand, Natsuhiko turned back to Watase.

Sorry for the wait, Captain Kasasagi... Let's begin work on restoring your memory.
Yeah. I'm ready when you are.

Watase seemed nervous. Natsuhiko walked up to him--

--Here we go.

And activated Senses Sympathy.

Natsuhiko's brain connected with Watase's. Countless visions flickered in the darkness in the same way they did when Natsuhiko saw Yuuri and Mashiro's memories. Those visions were all probably Watase's memories.

(First up is ''memory access''. Let's access all of the memories comprising Watase's original personality... that is, all the memories related to this incident.)

Natsuhiko ''recalled''. In order to resurrect Watase's lost memory.

(Remember the past of Watase Kasasagi. Remember all of the memories that shaped his personality!)

Once Natsuhiko concentrated on that desire-- Several memories floated up from the darkness.

(I just need to view these all one by one...)

With that in mind, Natsuhiko peeked into the oldest of those memories.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh poo poo.

We're going to see Watase's backstory, aren't we?

Also, despite being from Natsuhiko's perspective, the chapter title wasn't in all caps.

TheMcD posted:

:allears:

God damnit Danaru, you're going to make me have to make a "thread stuff" section in the second post. I'm still not used to having something like that.

Hey, I though my Psychology Time was part of a "Thread stuff" section. Speaking of...

Psychology Time with Junpei

Whelp, it's time to talk about Ukita and Ena. There's very little connection between them... I guess they both are involved in science?

The Reformer and the Achiever

Ukita: Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience.
At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.
Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced

Ena: Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness.
At their Best: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.
Basic Fear: Of being worthless
Basic Desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile

And that's the last of the Enneagram descriptions! (Potential) future episodes may focus on the arrows that connect the types, how accurate the characters are to their archetypes and similar subject matters, but for now, the big part is done.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

Should I try to keep my consciousness as flat as possible when I look through memories?
Sounds right. I've tried to do that too, for the most part. Those are all the key points... are you okay so far?

quote:

So what I'm getting from this is that if a SSS input comes up, we should make everyone's input all over the place and keep Yuuri's low to get those delicious bad ends. :v:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Haifisch posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that if a SSS input comes up, we should make everyone's input all over the place and keep Yuuri's low to get those delicious bad ends. :v:

By the end of this, Watase will wonder what he ever saw in Kazami. Also, Jun will always have been best buddy and no-one can say otherwise.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Reverie: 06/01/2014, 11:31

Visions like that of a dream long forgotten appeared to him. Those were Watase's memories-- the ones Natsuhiko had sealed away to protect Mashiro. Natsuhiko looked at the oldest memory Watase had that was relevant to this incident.

(Is this... from when Watase was back in high school...?)

Just like when he'd checked Yuuri's memories, he knew that for a fact without anyone telling him.

That day, Watase had been quietly reading a book in his room as he listened to classical music. And along with that sense of nostalgia-- He heard ''her'' cheery voice play back in his ears.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Watase's calm, relaxing time was completely annihilated by that voice.

(Oh great, her again...?)

''Wataru''.

Oh come on Wataru, I don't think the whole neighborhood quite heard that one. Something up?
Look outside! Isn't the weather just wonderful!?
Huh... wait, that's it?
Quit burying your head in those textbooks and come outside and play with me!
No. Playing outside just 'cause the weather's nice is something kids do.
Aw, don't be a spoilsport. You're gonna grow mold if you stay cooped up in this room forever.

Wataru forcefully pried Watase away from his desk.

H-hey...
C'mon, let's get a move on. We're gonna go to the city, so hurry up and get your things!
...Okay, fine. Just give me a sec.

Watase tried resisting her for a short while, but he soon caved in. He knew better by now than to go against Wataru whenever she wanted to do something.

Watase and Wataru walked side by side in that weather.

Mmm, it really is such a nice day, huh? Feels like the whole world's shining~
I guess.

Watase replied to Wataru's overjoyed voice with an apathetic mutter.

Watase was an indoors person who liked spending his days off reading books. Hence why the only reason he was out of the house right now was because Wataru had taken him out around town.

So why'd you want to go to the city? Need to do something here?
Nah, just figured I'd go look and see if there was anything I could get for you. Just got my latest paycheck from my part time job, so it's on me.
Oh, then maybe some paperbacks from the bookstore would be nice...
No and no. That'd kill the whole purpose of me treating you. We need something that we'll actually have fun buying... I know! How about your big sis picks out some clothes for you!?
Huh, no, you don't need to.
Why not? You've actually got some nice looks to start out with, so you can't let it go to waste by being plain all the time.
Is that your subtle way of complimenting yourself?
Ehe hee hee, I guess you could look at it that way too.

Wataru walked with a clear destination in mind as they had that talk. She took Watase to a ''cheap trendy clothes'' shop and bought him all sorts of clothes. They left the store with Watase covered in his new apparel, and with Wataru looking at him approvingly.

...Yeah, it's perfect! You're looking pretty sharp there, if I do say so myself.
Think so?

Watase had never been particularly mindful of what he wore. He just didn't think it was all that important.

Whatever. Anyway, I'm starving. Let's get a bite to eat.
Okay then, but it's on you this time, you hear?
Mmph... oh fine, I guess I can do that.
Yay! Then let's go to the usual pasta joint.

Cheering happily and with a skip in her step, Wataru walked off. Watase followed behind her languidly.

...But are you sure you want to be spending your Sunday hanging out with your brother?
Why not? It's a really beautiful day and it's the weekend.
You don't have a boyfriend or anything?
Oh, I don't need someone like that. Not when I've got my cute little brother!
Ugh.
Hey, what's with that reaction! That ain't cute at all!

Watase let out a wry laugh at Wataru's melodramatic voice. The twins then finished eating--

Yeah. We left without telling Mom and Dad a thing, after all.

The twins decided to walk home to save money on bus fare.

Wataru suddenly shouted as they passed the fire department.

Ah! Watase, look! Look at that!
Hmm?

Watase looked into the station to see men wearing orange uniforms coming out.

Who're they? Look a bit too snazzy to be firefighters.
They're a rescue squad.
A rescue squad? Our city has one of those?
Nope. They were probably just sent in from Tokyo or somewhere to give our firefighters some disaster prevention training.
Huh. So what's the big deal about them?
Whaddya mean, 'what's the big deal'? They're so cool!
Huh...? Oh, so you're into macho men like that?
No, not that! I'm strictly talking about their job, not their appeal as men. They go through hell and high water all to save lives! I really look up to people like that.
Really?
But there's no female rescue workers out there now, huh? If possible, I'd like to be one.
What? That's news to me. You want a crappy job like that?
Hey, don't call it a crappy job! It's a wonderful line of work!
Sorry, tongue slipped. But a rescue worker, huh...

Watase carefully looked Wataru over. She certainly had the attitude, but she wasn't all that good at sports.

...I think it'll be tough for you.
Won't know until I actually make it to that point. I'll think about that stuff after I become one.
I'm worried about -if- you can become one.
Hey! It's in really bad taste to stomp on people's dreams. Don't you have a dream?
Not really.
Huuh? Man, you're a real lonely boy, you know that?
Can't blame me on that one. The world's in recession and Japan's hitting a dead end. Future's not looking all that bright.
You're overthinking things, Watase. Do that and you'll just wuss out to the point where you won't be able to make sense of anything anymore.

Remember this?

You really think so? Personally, I think it'd be better for you to think a bit before you act.

He'd rather not be thinking along the same lines as her. But Wataru paid no heed to Watase's disapproval as she lifted her hand in the air.

Okay, I've made up my mind! Running training starts tomorrow!
Hmm, sure, sounds nice. Try to stick with this one longer than three days.
Why're you talking like you're not a part of this? You're gonna train with me.
H-HUUUUH!? Why me?
'Cause it'll last longer with two people, right? Besides, it's the perfect way to get your scrawny body into shape, right?
S-sounds like a total pain in the rear end...

But as usual, Wataru wouldn't change her mind no matter what he said. And she was right that Watase was out of shape.

...Okay, fine, I'll train with you. But only for a little while.
Yay! See, this is what brothers are for.

Wataru let out a smile filled with happiness from the bottom of her heart.

But it was a fact that she was looking forward to her own future. Her innocent and pure hopes for her future... Having nothing like that at all, Watase couldn't help but be a little jealous of his sister.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Huh, I had noticed the similarities but I was thinking "childhood friend he copies after she dies", not "sister". Certainly does explain the sheer depth of his rage before (guess he was easier to latch onto, huh? The others certainly didn't seem to have the same intensity to them).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wow are Wataru's eyes blue.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wow are Wataru's eyes blue.
Watase's are as well, they're just way smaller.

Speaking of which, I like how the twins supposedly have "almost the same face" but Wataru's eyes are three times the size of Watase's.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Watase's are as well, they're just way smaller.

Speaking of which, I like how the twins supposedly have "almost the same face" but Wataru's eyes are three times the size of Watase's.

Yeah, but that's just the usual JRPG sexual dimorphism at play.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Goin' Home: 09/07/2014, 16:43

Watase obeyed his sister's wishes and trained with her. That said, there wasn't much of a system to it aside from ''run to some random spot in the city''. Three months had passed since then... Watase and Wataru were running together on that Sunday morning to train up their stamina.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Wa-Watase, wait uuuup...

Wataru cried out to him.

What's this? Need to take a break already? Boy, how lame.

Watase stopped in his tracks, only to immediately hear his sister speak between her gasps for air.

Th-this isn't fair... How is there already such a huge gap in our stamina... even though we have the same face... and do the same training...?
Hell if I know. Could be our difference in gender, or maybe it's because we came from different eggs.
I-I refuse to accept that...
Well, anyway, I guess I am a bit thirsty, so sure, let's take a little break. I don't see why not.
Yaaay...

The twins walked up to a nearby vending machine and bought sports drinks. They rested up as they drank them down-- --only to hear strange voices from somewhere.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Man in Suit: --Citizens of Rokumei, lend me your ears! We are the citizen group known as the 'Anti-BC League'!
Hmm?
What's all the commotion?

They looked to the direction of the voices to find men in suits standing in front of a building. One of them was giving some sort of speech with a megaphone in hand.

Man in Suit: --We are the voices of all who object against the managers of the PRC! We the people have been forced to pay heavy taxes all in the name of researching this dubious technique known as BC-- Are you content with turning a blind eye from this transgression without sufficient representation!?

The man was shouting while facing the people walking down the street--- no, facing the large building not too far from him. It was a big research facility that had been built nearly two years ago. It was the ''Rokumei City Parapsychology Research Center'', or ''PRC'' for short. It appeared they were giving a speech condemning the facility right in front of it.

...The hell's this? What're they whining about?
Oh... they must be that BC rejection citizen group that's been troubling the city recently.
BC?
You've never heard of it? It was all over the news. A little while back, they scientifically proved that psychic powers like telepathy really exist. It seems that such abilities like sending your voice to a faraway person or reading someone's mind were given the general term 'BC'.
Oh yeah, I think I did hear about that...

Watase didn't watch TV, nor did he browse the internet all that much. Thus he only had a scarce knowledge of topics he wasn't all that interested in.

So how exactly did they prove that this BC stuff actually exists?
Uh, let's see... well, it started two years ago when a French scientist accidentally discovered the way in which a person's genes determine if they're capable of using psychic powers. Well, people thought his theory was total BS at first-- But early this year, the research team in the PRC made a great discovery that supported his theory.
What great discovery?
They discovered elementary particles now known as 'BC particles' that convey people's mental voices.
Huh... mental voices, huh...?
The PRC was in a huge uproar after that. They said it was a discovery that completely revolutionized the world of science, and that they would put all their efforts into researching it. The Rokumei City council backed them up by deciding to invest truckloads of the city's budget into their research.
Huh...

Watase kept responding disinterestedly. He found it somewhat comical how adults were getting so worked up over the research of something as much of an enigma as ESP.

(So that's what they do at this huge place...?)

Watase looked towards the PRC as he thought that-- --only to see a person in the facility.

A young woman was standing at a window on the 3rd floor.

(A blonde... is she a foreigner?)

She looked down at the citizen group with dull eyes as they gave their speech. The group continued to give their soapbox speech in a voice loud enough for the woman to hear it.

Man in Suit: --BC users from all over the globe known as 'Communicators' have been gathering in our city ever since this spring due to the PRC's research-- But where did the budget required to invite them all come from to begin with!? Is there even a need for this sort of research to be conducted in our beloved Rokumei City to begin with!? Well, we've got a message for you! Rokumei City does not need a BC research center! We cannot acknowledge Communicators as official citizens without discussion!

Watase felt exasperated at their hysteric cries.

...But why're these guys getting so mad? The research at the PRC and the gathering of espers has nothing to do with them.
Hmm, well... they give all sorts of reasons, but to be honest... I think it's because they're basically scared of those people.

Remember this?

Scared? Why?
Because a whole lot of Communicators... people who can use BC, that is... have been coming to this city.

And remember this? I've been seeing people in the thread talking about ''the girl in the mirror'' and ''the brown-haired girl'' as if they were two different people, but that's not true. The distortion from the destroyed memories made it look like she had brown hair, but both ''the girl in the mirror'' and ''the brown-haired girl'' were Wataru.

And the city's conducting research these people really don't understand.
But why's it such a big deal for them?
Well, the thing is, there've been these BC-related incidents happening from time to time in other countries. For example, there've been cases of people in England and France burning down Communicators' homes... horrible incidents like that.
...You making GBS threads me? So ordinary people afraid of psychics attack the psychics themselves... Sounds like something out of a sci-fi novel.
It's already the 21st century... Hard to believe that kind of stuff is happening for real.

But when he thought about it carefully-- Watase found that he understood why people would be so afraid of mind readers. In more religious countries, those espers could perhaps even be seen as servants of the Devil.

... Scared, huh...

And it also sounded like Rokumei City and the PRC were gathering those Communicators for their research. All while barely explaining a thing to the townspeople, including Watase--

...Well, I guess I can kinda see where that citizen group's coming from.
Huh!? Hold on, you serious?
Well, yeah. I mean, don't you feel uncomfortable about guys who can read your mind being all around the city? Your privacy will go straight to hell, and you can forget about having any perverted fantasies.
Oh? So you have perverted fantasies, huh?
No, I don't. Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that they don't have to do that kind of research in our city. I don't really care if espers actually exist or not, but I'd prefer it if they all gathered in any city other than Rokumei.

Wataru did not look pleased at all by what Watase was saying.

...I'm surprised. I never thought you were so narrow-minded. When it comes down to it, Communicators are just ordinary people like us, aren't they? So there's no real harm in them gathering here. Rokumei City's a calm and peaceful city, so if Communicators who were persecuted in their home countries could gather here, then--
No, see, that's my point. It's -because- Rokumei's such a peaceful city that having these potentially problematic guys come here is an issue.
Geez, Watase, quit overthinking all this! You coward!

Wataru said that and turned away in a huff.

(Aaand here comes the sulking.) ...What's gotten into you? Why're you siding with the Communicators so much?
'Cause I feel bad for them. Don't you? I mean, it's not like they chose to be born as Communicators. Yet they all get picked on just because they're different from ordinary people... That just makes me want to protect them.
And here we go. Your savior complex is rearing its head again. They call that the Florence Nightingale complex.

Tips posted:

TIP: Nightingale Complex
Category: Nonfiction

Florence Nightingale was the founder of modern nursing education. Soldiers in the Crimean War who were treated by Nightingale were said to have kissed her shadow in tears. The Nightingale complex (also known as the Florence Nightingale effect or syndrome) was born from that anecdote referring to the situation when the dependence and desire for acknowledgment between givers and recipients of care shift into romantic feelings.

The Nightingale complex is said to be similar to the suspension bridge effect where the excitement of a tense situation is perceived as romantic feelings, as well as to Stockholm syndrome in which a hostage's resistance turns into positive feelings for their captor through the joint experience of an unexpected situation.

That said, despite the name of the Nightingale complex, Nightingale herself never became involved with her patients. She felt she had no time for romance since at any given time, somebody could need nursing.

...So? Something wrong with that? That's just the way I am. I mean, that's also basically why I want to be a rescue worker--
No, not saying anything's wrong with it, but in that case, why do you want to be a rescue worker? Wouldn't you be better suited as a nurse or something?

The twins felt very comfortable with each other, so Watase had no problem bluntly speaking his mind to Wataru. They always had these kinds of conversations, so Wataru answered him without sounding hurt in the slightest.

Well, even I think this is rather simplistic... but there's something I wanna be.
I know, a rescue worker, right?
No, how do I put it... actually, I wanna be a 'hero of justice'.
A-a hero of justice?

Watase stared at Wataru in wonder from her sudden confession.

Are rescue workers... really heroes of justice?
Well, this isn't really related to that group, but... There are all different kinds of justice in the world, aren't there?
Whoa, where'd all this come from?
Just hear me out. Anyway, that group considers 'taking action against BC' as justice in their own eyes, right?
Yeah.
On the other hand, the people of the PRC probably believe that 'researching BC' is just. We all have our own personal sense of justice. Communicator or not. When you take everyone's definitions of justice into account and empathize with all those people, you can no longer tell what's just and what's evil.
Well... that's because you have a habit of empathizing with others right away. You even cry when you watch movies and whatnot.
That's right. But no matter what, the act of 'saving people' regardless of their value systems and personal definitions of justice-- That's gotta be 'just' any way you look at it, right?
Yeah, probably.
Saving someone's life means protecting their future. I just find that to be so incredibly noble... which is why I want to be a rescue worker. Well, it's just an idea. I guess I could be a firefighter or a nurse if all that matters is me having a job that involves saving lives...

Watase watched his sister bashfully speak before he muttered in approval.

I see... Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
So you understand?
Yeah, I think it's admirable. But there's just one thing bugging me-- Did it have to be a rescue worker of all things? Hate to say it, but you've got horrible stamina and your reflexes suck.
Ugh...
If you ever became a rescue worker, you'd be more likely to die before you could save anyone.
W-well, maybe... but I make up for what I lack in strength with passion and spirit. I bet even a total dunce like me could do something if I just work myself to the bone and keep running forward.
'Work myself to the bone'... Wataru, you...
It's the feeling that counts. The feeling that my own life means nothing if it can be used to protect other lives--
Hey, hold on, Wataru.

Watase interrupted his sister with a bit of force in his voice.

Quit saying stupid poo poo like 'my own life means nothing'. Our old man and lady would cry if they ever heard that.

Wataru gasped at the suddenly serious tone and speech her brother had adopted.

Y-you're right... I'd really hate to make Mom sad in particular...
Well of course.

--Watase and Wataru were fraternal twins, but they'd heard that their delivery had been quite the difficult one, naturally. So much so that their mother's life had been in danger for a little while. It was for that reason that their parents showered them with love once they'd been safely born. Thus it was only natural that Watase got angry about Wataru talking about her own life like it was nothing.

O-okay. I'll stop talking about my life so lightly.
Yeah, that's better.
But I won't give up on my dream of working to protect lives. At any rate, if your life was ever in grave danger, I'd save you in a heartbeat even if it cost me my life.
Wha... Weren't you listening to what I just said? The old lady would cry if she ever--
We were both born from her, so there's nothing wrong with at least protecting each other, is there? And besides, I -am- your big sis, remember?

Watase just shook his head in exasperation when he saw Wataru's beaming smile.

Well... I just hope that day never comes.
Yeah, knock on wood.

The twins smiled at each other.

...Okay, I think we've cooled down 100 percent. Shall we continue running?
Sure, race you back home. Sound good? The loser has to treat the winner to ice cream.
Quit while you're ahead. You'll never keep up that bet.

They said that and started running back towards their home.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Watase and Wataru had been keeping up side by side, but--

I'll be going on ahead now!

Wataru suddenly dashed ahead as she said that.

You got too cocky, Watase! That ice cream's all mine!
Wha!? Hey, no fair!

Watase then sped up in an attempt to catch up to her, but then a car suddenly sped down onto the street from a side road.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

(!?)

Wataru froze in shock. The driver slammed the brakes, but the car kept skidding towards Wataru without stopping--!

(That thing's gonna run her over!)

Watase's body sprung into action the moment that thought crossed his mind.

Wataru!!
Ah!!

Watase dashed towards Wataru with the force of a speeding bullet and pushed her aside.

(!!)

Watase was sent flying by the car, and soon crashed into the pavement.

Watase groaned as he laid face-up in the street. His line of sight was completely filled with the beautiful orange sky.

Wa... WATASE!!

He heard Wataru crying out to him from somewhere. He then heard a car door opening, followed by the voice of man who was apparently the driver.

Driver: Ah, aah, t-t-this is bad...!
C-call an ambulance! Watase's... Watase's gonna die!!

If it'd been under any normal circumstances, Watase would have let out a sigh of exasperation at her cries.

(I ain't gonna die... but my leg does hurt like hell.)

He didn't feel he was in any danger of dying. But though his leg hadn't hurt all that much at the moment of the impact, it had suddenly started to seethe with intense pain.

The ambulance is on its way! So don't die, Watase!!
(Hah... what was all that ''I'd save you in a heartbeat even if it cost me my life'' BS about? I was the one who ended up saving you... Some rescue... that... was...)

Watase lost consciousness.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

This VN was released before Zero Time Dilemma, right? There are a whole lot of parallels between Watase and Carlos I'm drawing here...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

Khh... khahahah... hahahahahah!! Well, no poo poo! No proper human would! But it's pretty ballsy of you to say that to my face, kid. Your kind killed over a hundred people!!
Look, you Communicator... Even if you don't know it, I've got a perfectly good reason to hate your kind. You have precious friends, right? Well there was someone who was more precious to me than anyone else.
You don't know? Nah, of course you don't. What's one more dead kid in a list of 118 casualties? But that kid was my other half. My very mirror image. Weak, but motivated. Stupid, but gentle. The very embodiment of light to me. But that light died. And all that's left is a dark shadow. ...That's me. That's Watase Kasasagi. Burn that name into your ears. Carve it into your mind. Reflect on that name until the moment you die!!

TheMcD posted:

Don't think I'll just -give- you the repose of death. That's it. Run, run, run, you drat Communicator. Just like how we ran in the hospital that night.

I hate the direction this is going

Also blonde test subject looks a lot more like an adult without the lovely memory static. Also she's wearing what Yuuri called test subject clothes. Given the time period and anime genetics she must be Salyu's mom, but she's also going to end up being Subject A isn't she :saddowns: Wataru also mentions that it was a French scientist that figured out the IGF2R thing, and that the BC particle discovery happened in Rokumei City, where blonde test subject is now. It also explains why they kept Salyu as a test subject despite not mutating or having a hereditary type S gene. The story about Salyu's family was clearly memory-kajiggery, but it could be based in fact.

Also that's still one flashback unaccounted for, the one of Nagisa (or whoever but I'm sure it's Nagisa) being a weirdo, but that doesn't fit this time period. There's probably more back to flash after this though I imagine. I'm sorta glad I didn't go with the theory that Watase used to be a scientist, considering he's sorta a dumbass :v: I didn't think the test subject memory would just be that she was looking out a window he was near

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Danaru posted:

I hate the direction this is going

Also blonde test subject looks a lot more like an adult without the lovely memory static. Also she's wearing what Yuuri called test subject clothes. Given the time period and anime genetics she must be Salyu's mom, but she's also going to end up being Subject A isn't she :saddowns: Wataru also mentions that it was a French scientist that figured out the IGF2R thing, and that the BC particle discovery happened in Rokumei City, where blonde test subject is now. It also explains why they kept Salyu as a test subject despite not mutating or having a hereditary type S gene. The story about Salyu's family was clearly memory-kajiggery, but it could be based in fact.

Also that's still one flashback unaccounted for, the one of Nagisa (or whoever but I'm sure it's Nagisa) being a weirdo, but that doesn't fit this time period. There's probably more back to flash after this though I imagine. I'm sorta glad I didn't go with the theory that Watase used to be a scientist, considering he's sorta a dumbass :v: I didn't think the test subject memory would just be that she was looking out a window he was near

There's actually one more that I'm really surprised everyone seems to have forgotten about - in Insanity, Part 2.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

AweStriker posted:

This VN was released before Zero Time Dilemma, right? There are a whole lot of parallels between Watase and Carlos I'm drawing here...

Quite a bit earlier - its original release was in 2012, only a few months after Virtue's Last Reward even. (It did take much longer to get an English version, it released only a couple weeks months before Zero Time Dilemma. EDIT: Misread dates a bit oops.)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Das Lied der Trennung: The Song of Parting: 09/08/2014, 17:02

Watase was hospitalized with a broken right femur. Though he was grateful to have his own room, thanks to the large sum the driver had paid as reparations... it seemed that Wataru had been more hurt by the incident than Watase.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Wataru burst into tears when she came to visit Watase and saw the cast the hospital had set on his leg. Watase spoke with a wave of the hand.

Nah, don't worry about it. It's just a broken leg, and there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage.
I-I see. That's good to hear... Wait, no, not -good-, but...

Wataru let out a heavy sigh.

Why is it that all I do is cause trouble whenever I try to do something...? You must hate having such a dumbass for a big sis, don't you...?
Seriously, that's not true at all.

Watase spoke encouragingly to the totally dispirited Wataru.

...Don't be so hard on yourself. It's no fun seeing you so depressed. Besides, I was the one who voluntarily ran with you. So it's my fault that I got hurt.
But you should stop forcing yourself to come. I mean, I know you think it's a total pain in the rear end...
Well, at first I did, yeah... but not anymore. Now I want to try and help you accomplish your dream.
Huh...?

Watase gave his sister a faint smile when he saw the stunned look on her face.

It doesn't matter what your physical abilities are... You're still amazing. You have big dreams about getting a job that'll let you save lives. I'm a little jealous of you. I don't have anything like that at all.
There are things I 'can' do, but I don't have anything I 'want' to do. But you're the complete opposite. You find what you want to do and you put everything you've got into it. Even though your motive was just a spur of the moment idea, you've been running every day for three months because of it. You're confident in yourself and don't hesitate to act... So I felt that if I kept on hanging out with you, I might find something like that too.
No way... that's the way you've been thinking?
Yeah, kinda.
Hmm... heheh, so you're jealous of a weak little thing like me.

Wataru let out an embarrassed laugh, then looked at Watase and spoke.

But you know, I'm sure that you'll find something you want to do too sooner or later.
You really think so?
I just know you're the kind of kid who can do anything he wants to. As long as you act before you think about every little thing, that is.
...Aren't you the one who should think a little more before you act?
I-I've already considered that, you know.

Watase sighed when he heard that.

...But hey, thanks. Though I think the whole 'looking for something I want to do' thing will have to wait for after my leg heals up.
That's true. I'll come visit you every week until then.
No thanks.
Oh come on! I'd feel bad if I didn't! Seeing as how you don't have a girlfriend to do that for you.
What? You're the one who needs to hurry up and get a boyfriend already!

The twins then shared a laugh.

Yeah, tell the old man and lady I said hi.
All right. Okay then, see you later.

Wataru then turned to leave the room. She looked so lonely from behind that Watase called out to her one more time.

Wataru.
Yeah?
Let's start running again once my leg heals up. If you'd like, I'll keep doing that with you until you become a bona-fide rescue worker.

Wataru smiled brightly at that suggestion.

Thanks, Watase.

Wataru finally left the room with those words. --And thus, Watase's peaceful life at the hospital went on for a while after that-- It was a fairly simple life where he just spent his time either attending to people who came to visit him, or just eating, reading, and sleeping when alone. But one night eight days after Wataru had come to visit him-- --something unexpected happened.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Watase had woken up from a bizarre dream he'd had that night.

(... What was that all about...?)

He had been desperately running for his life from the flames that were engulfing the town. But no matter how hard he ran, the flames just kept on chasing him. Watase was soon surrounded by flames and smoke that filled the air around him--

Watase tried to go back to sleep as he vaguely wondered that. But at that moment-- his nose caught the stench of what smelled like something burning.

(...? ... Am I dreaming again...? ... No!!)

Watase suddenly sat right up. He wasn't dreaming. That stench of smoke was clearly all too real. What's more, the sound of the fire alarm was echoing around him like crazy.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Automatic PA: --A fire has broken out in the hospital. All patients and visitors, please evacuate as soon as possible. This is not a drill. Everyone in the facility, please evacuate as soon as possible.

The robotic announcement explained the situation in a detached voice. Watase felt himself shaking like crazy at those words.

C-crap...!

With the cast around his leg, Watase couldn't move at all. So that meant when the fire reached his room--!

(I... I'm gonna die!? Oh poo poo! I've gotta get out of here!)

Watase dragged his left leg and crept out of his bed. His room was on the 7th floor. He couldn't escape through the windows. But when he opened the door to his room--

Watase frantically shut the door. He had no chance of weaving his way through the flames with the condition his leg was in.

(If a nurse or someone doesn't get here before the fire does, then I'm...!) H... help!! Is anybody there!? Help me! Someone help me!!

But no one came by no matter how much he yelled. The nurse call button wasn't responding either. Perhaps the doctors and nurses had abandoned Watase and the other patients and had already evacuated. --It wasn't long before smoke began seeping in from around the edges of the shut door.

Ghh... *cough*...! *cough* *cough*! *cough*!!

Watase coughed violently. He frantically opened the window, but the smoke was filling the room faster than it could escape it. It only grew thicker as time continued to pass. Just then, Watase thought he heard something burst open. The fire had probably already reached the room.

(I... I'm in deep poo poo here...! If things stay the same, then in just a few minutes, I'll be--!)

Dead. The fear of death gradually weighed down on Watase's mind.

Someone-- *cough*! *cough*!

He tried calling for help, but he couldn't speak anymore. With no other idea of what to do, Watase was about to break the window and jump out when--

WATASEEE!!

He heard her voice.

!?

Wha... how!?
I came to save you when I saw the smoke rising from the hospital!! The firefighters are taking too long to get here! You'll die if you keep waiting in here for help! So let's get out of here!
R... right!

There wasn't any time to think. Watase grabbed on to Wataru's shoulder and left his room.

The twins weaved their way through them and ran away. But the staircase was completely blocked by flames. Watase and Wataru were stuck on the 4th floor.

Ugh... *cough*...!

Wataru broke into a violent coughing fit. She'd probably exhausted her stamina while dragging Watase through the fire.

(If this keeps up, then Wataru will die too! All because of me...!)

Once he realized that, Watase forced himself to speak.

Wa... Wataru... Leave me and save yourself...!
What are you saying...? There's no way in hell I can I do that... Didn't I tell you that if you were in grave danger, I'd save you even if it cost me my life...?
But we'll -both- die at this rate...! You might still have a chance to get out of here by yourself...!

A light sparked in Wataru's eyes when she heard Watase mutter that.

You have to keep fighting on and on until the bitter end... If you wanna die, you can do that later!

Wataru shouted and tightened her grip around Watase's arm... then broke off into a mad dash. They soon discovered an emergency staircase that was undamaged by the fire. They ran down it-- and soon found the exit to the hospital coming into view.

L-look Watase, it's the exit!
R... right!

It was only a hair's breadth away. They hadn't noticed earlier, but now they could hear fire truck sirens closing in too.

(We're saved...!)

He then tried to move towards the exit with Wataru as he thought that-- --only to hear the unpleasant sound of something creaking above them.

!!

He looked up in surprise to see cracks forming in the ceiling. The cracks spread wider in an instant, causing the concrete ceiling to bend swiftly.

(It's crumbling down!)

As soon as Watase thought that--

Watase!!

Wataru pushed him towards the exit.

Watase fell on the ground outside the hospital. What he saw before him was a perfect starry sky. And what he heard was-- --the roar of something collapsing.

Huh...?

♪ BGM: Abyss

Where Wataru had been standing moments ago was now a burning pile of debris.

Wa... Wataru?

--No response.

Wataru.

No response.

Wataru!!

Watase screamed and limped over to the mountain of debris.

Wataru! You're still there, right!? Answer me!! Wataru!! WATARU!!

Before long, a response appeared--

!!

Aaah, aaaah, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...! It can't be, stop it, why did this--

Watase began randomly moving debris as he rambled incoherently in a hollow voice.

Wataru, Wataru, Wataru...!

The debris was lit with flames, hot enough to burn anyone who touched it. But Watase ignored the pain and kept picking up debris and tossing it aside. --He soon heard a voice from behind.

???: We've located a survivor!

It was probably a firefighter. Watase ignored them and kept working on his attempts to rescue Wataru.

Firefighter: H-hey...!? What are you doing!?

The firefighter ran over to Watase after noticing something was clearly wrong with the boy.

Firefighter: It's dangerous! Get back! You'll catch fire!

The firefighter grabbed Watase by the shoulder. Watase shook off his hand and shouted.

Outta my way! Wataru's under this debris!
Firefighter: Wha...! Someone's under this...!? N-no, then we'll take care of the rescue!!
AAAAAAH! Shut up! I can't leave it up to you guys!! This is all your fault! Because you didn't get here faster, Wataru's... Wataru's...!!

Watase's deranged screams echoed through the night sky. --Watase was restrained shortly afterwards. The firefighters managed to pull Wataru out from under the rubble-- But by that point, she had long since breathed her last...

That was what the events of that night would come to be called.

The culprit was soon caught. It appeared the crime was committed by an extremist group. It was said that the arson had been committed as a demonstration against the rapidly growing Communicator population. But Watase didn't care about any of that. He just couldn't come to grips with the fact that he had lost everything in a single night.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Watase stood still in front of the ruins of the burned down hospital.

(... This is where Wataru...)

Though he thought that, he no longer had any tears to shed. Though the cast around his leg had already been removed, his emotional scars hadn't healed.

(... We didn't even get to say anything to each other when she left... Why did she give up her life for someone like me...?)

It pained him that he alone had lived while the rest of his family had died. Simply living felt like agony to him.

(So why is it that someone with no hopes for the future like me... survived instead of her...?)

He'd been asking himself that question endlessly for the last two months. He'd thought he might be able to find an answer if he came to this place, but naturally, he didn't.

(Tell me, Wataru... What am I supposed to do now...?)

The moment that thought crossed his mind-- His cellphone suddenly rang.

(...?)

Watase slowly picked up the phone. A familiar voice came across the other line.

Public Welfare: A pleasure calling you. This is Fujimoto of the Rokumei City Public Welfare Division.
Ah... hello.

After the Great Arson, the victims of the fire had been given all sorts of accommodations by the city's public welfare division. They had covered Watase's transfer to another hospital and other such procedures while he was still recovering from his broken leg-- The one on the phone was his sponsor in the public welfare division.

Public Welfare: ...Due to the effects of this incident, we at Rokumei City have decided to aid the bereaved families of the victims as much as possible. In accordance with the Crime Victim Support Laws, minors will be supplied with residences and welfare.

Tips posted:

TIP: Crime Victim Support Laws
Category: Includes fiction

Sets of regulations for local self-governing bodies for the multifaceted support of crime victims including monetary compensation and livelihood support.

The first such law enacted is said to be the 1972 ''Warabi Disaster Compensation and Condolence Fund Law'' in Saitama.

Such laws in Rokumei City allowed for many bereaved families to receive aid after the violence of Anti-BC League members triggered the Great Rokumei City Arson. These laws also allowed for the orphaned Watase to graduate high school and pursue a career as a rescue worker with his large sum of compensation money going to living expenses and tuition.

Thank you very much.

Watase replied indifferently to the worker's pensive voice. After a brief silence, the worker continued in a quiet voice.

Public Welfare: ...We plan to settle things so that you have nothing to worry about in your life and future.
My future...?
Public Welfare: For example, you will be able to return to high school and we shall assist you if you wish to go on to college. We shall also assist you in getting the job of your choice should you desire to be self-reliant.
Public Welfare: ...Do you have any plans for the future?

As soon as Watase heard that-- Wataru's words replayed in his mind.

I just find that to be so incredibly noble...

The moment he remembered those words... Watase's mouth instinctively began moving.

...I... I'll be a rescue worker.

--That was the only way he could even hope to repay Wataru for saving his life.

(I'll fulfill Wataru's dream...)

That was the moment when he decided on his path in life.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The facts aren't matching up! This could mean a dozen different things and I'm imagining them all being true at the same time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
...I was thinking maybe it would have been vague enough that Wataru got snatched by not-LABO, but :smith: that's pretty explicit

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
So all that implied that Q killed Watase's everyone.

... Why in the world is he working with them now?

I suspect the answer will disappoint me.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Was this 'foreign country'....FRENCH!!?! Very interesting....

EponymousMrYar posted:

So all that implied that Q killed Watase's everyone.

... Why in the world is he working with them now?

I suspect the answer will disappoint me.

I'm telling you man, it's a false flag op! The government burned them all down and framed those innocent protestors at the bidding of their masters in the psycho-industrial complex! WX Particles can't melt steel beams! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OddHaberdasher posted:

Was this 'foreign country'....FRENCH!!?! Very interesting....

How old is Salyu again? Watase meets Salyu's mom at PRC for... some reason, they fall in love, have a baby, then said baby grows up and murders her dad with a fireaxe! It's a love story that practically writes itself!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Danaru posted:

How old is Salyu again? Watase meets Salyu's mom at PRC for... some reason, they fall in love, have a baby, then said baby grows up and murders her dad with a fireaxe! It's a love story that practically writes itself!
That explains it all! Salyu inherited her looks from her mom, and her murder skills from Watase.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Eroica: Hero: 04/07/2021, 13:55

Tips posted:

TIP: Wataru Kasasagi
Category: Fiction

Wataru's elder twin sister. Deceased. Age 16 at time of death.

A girl who valued life and lived her own life actively and positively. Thus, she deemed saving lives to be the highest form of righteousness and aspired to be a rescue worker.

However, her young life came to an abrupt end after she saved Watase during the Great Rokumei City Arson. Her proactive mindset and way of life had a huge impact on Watase and was the biggest driving force in making him abandon his inactive lifestyle to become a rescue worker.

A long time had passed since that day. Much like before, Natsuhiko could instinctively tell how much time had passed as if they were his own memories.

(Ah... so it's been seven years since then...)

The thing he saw was-- A memory of nine years ago, when Watase was 23 years old.

The sound of him counting his push-ups echoed through the dim room.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

His breath was calm and orderly, with not a single bit of exhaustion to be found.

Watase stopped once he'd counted to 200.

Whew...

Watase stood alone in his room, not a bead of sweat on his face. He was living in a small apartment the city had provided him with after he'd lost his old family home. He had been living there for almost seven years. The same apartment he'd lived in through the time he finished up with high school and then moved on to firefighting school.

But Watase had no time to feel uncomfortable about the rapid changes happening in the city, much less feel any loneliness. He lived only to fulfill his sister's dreams. He had remodeled his body and tempered his soul to do so... and passed the notoriously difficult rescue worker exam with top marks. A rescue squad was finally established at the Rokumei City Fire Department at almost the exact same time, and so he enlisted in it. --At that moment, the 2 PM alarm rang on his watch. It was almost time for him to go to work. According to Watase's rotation schedule, he started work at 4 PM, but Watase had a personal rule about always showing up to work early.

...Time to go.

The one who spoke was no longer the lazy boy who had no purpose in life. The rescue worker with a body and will of iron left his apartment and headed straight for work.

The building he'd once seen with his sister was now Watase's workplace. He'd figured he'd get used to it long ago-- but he still found himself remembering that day from time to time.

If possible, I'd like to be one.

Watase's heart throbbed painfully at the memory of her voice.

(Maybe Wataru is the one who's really working here, not me...)

He couldn't exactly keep himself from feeling any hatred for the culprit. But it was much healthier for him to live for the dead than to live by hating others. Just as Watase stood thinking to himself, an ear-piercing siren suddenly interrupted his thoughts.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

(--A dispatch!)

He instantly set his thoughts aside as he focused his mind and honed his senses. His coworkers and the guys on the night shift rapidly dispersed out of the station. The commander noticed Watase and called out to him from afar.

Commander: Kasasagi!! Good timing, we're heading out right now!!
What's the dispatch for!?
Commander: There was a gas explosion at that apartment over there!

Watase jumped onto the fire truck as soon as he heard that. --He listened to the radio report inside the truck as he changed into his uniform.

Operator: A large-scale gas explosion accident has occurred at the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Complex at 2-4 Higashi-machi. There are residents still inside, though the exact number is uncertain. Furthermore, there is a possibility that the building will cave in or collapse entirely. Firefighting squads and the elite rescue squad are to hurry to the scene and conduct firefighting and rescue efforts.

The truck arrived at the scene just as the radio transmission ended.

drat, this is bad...!

Thick clouds of black smoke rose from the now burning apartment complex. The commander swiftly gave out orders to the squad members.

Commander: The explosion occured from floors 1 to 4 on the building's east side. As such, there is a high risk of that side collapsing. That is where we will be conducting our rescue efforts. Team A will split into two groups: Kasasagi and Dojima will take the 6th floor, while Hiyama and Matsuzawa take the 5th floor. Likewise, Team B will also split into two groups: Asukai and Okamura will take floors 4 and 3, while Hashino and Iida will take floors 2 and 1. Remember, we're trying to save lives here. Make sure you don't leave a single person behind. Ask your team captains for specific instructions. All right then, get to work, men!
Sir, yes sir!!

The rescue workers then proceeded to run into the apartment complex. Watase and his partner Dojima went around checking all the rooms on the 6th floor. There were many doors they couldn't open, likely due to the explosion-- But they just broke down those doors, saved all the people inside, and continued their rescue efforts in a show of supreme skill.

It's collapsing!?
Dojima: Crap! Kasasagi, let's pull out!

Dojima shouted that to him from behind. They'd already completely evacuated the floor they'd been assigned to, so they were positive they hadn't left anyone behind. But as Watase and Dojima started fleeing-- A voice called out.

!!

Watase stopped dead in his tracks.

Dojima: Kasasagi, what's wrong!?
I thought I just heard a voice...!

He didn't know where it was coming from. But he heard it again.

???: {We're... in apartment 303... Hurry... the fire's...}

It was feeble and only came out in fragments, but it was definitely the voice of someone seeking help.

(That'd be the 3rd floor! Did they not search all the rooms down there!?) Dojima, did you hear that!? There's still someone in apartment 303!
Dojima: Yeah! Let's go save them!

Watase and Dojima proceeded to rush down the stairs. --They encountered a woman who lived there on their way and forced her to evacuate, then headed for apartment 303.

Flames flickered in that dim space.

(Where's the survivor!?)

Watase looked all around the room-- --and spotted a girl lying trapped under burning debris.

(!!)

Watase's heart leapt as the sight of that girl momentarily overlapped with Wataru's death in his mind.

I... I've located a survivor!!

Watase ran over to the girl and pulled her out of the rubble.

Are you okay!?
Girl: Ugh...

The girl moaned in pain. She was apparently barely conscious from the lack of oxygen, but she was indeed still alive. Dojima's voice suddenly called out to him.

Dojima: There's another one over here!

--The survivors were two girls. Watase and Dojima each took one of the girls and ran out of the room.

Dojima was a short distance behind him, carrying the other girl. The girl Watase was holding soon broke out into a pained coughing fit.

Ugh... *cough* *cough*...
Are you okay!? I'm gonna get you to a safe place soon, so just hold on tight!
B-but... it hurts... My back... my head... my eyes... they all hurt so much... Am I... gonna die...?

Watase answered her tearful question in a clear voice.

No, don't you worry. I'll never let you die. Never.
Huh...?
We're rescue workers. We came to save you guys. We won't let you die now that we're here.

Watase said that as if to convince himself of that.

(... Yeah, isn't that right, Wataru? A rescue worker's job is to protect others' futures. So there's no way in hell... I can let this little girl die!)

Watase walked down the hallway as he thought that. All while carrying that small life on his back.

They were both badly hurt, but it appeared their lives were most likely not in any danger. The girls were put into an ambulance and taken away to the hospital.

♪ BGM: Rondo Carrousel (Instrumental Arrange)

Watase watched the ambulance drive off.

(... Hey, were you watching me? I protected those girls' futures. Do you think... I've matured a little since those days?)

Watase felt like he could hear a nostalgic voice when he thought that.

{--You've done so well, Watase. You've made your big sis proud of you.}
(...!)

It was probably just a figment of his imagination. But Watase looked up to the heavens and gave that voice a smile.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

And this is where we find out that Wataru is a BC ghost like Yuuri involved in another major LABO cover up and is the primary antagonist. Either that or its a legit ghost, both are equally believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And this is where we find out that Wataru is a BC ghost like Yuuri involved in another major LABO cover up and is the primary antagonist. Either that or its a legit ghost, both are equally believable.

Or it was the same person that telepathied him in the building.

• Locked thread