Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dog they have an infamous blog post defending this practice, get fuckin bent if you think I need to be a native speaker to catch them in their "actually it's more correct to leave it untranslated" poo poo, and their inability to translate properly, especially in those days, is a well trod topic here

I know you're the polite one because you don't call people names, but eat a dick

They in all likelihood have some episodes that are as far as you know decently translated, at least getting a good amount right, and you're too angry and biased to watch them. It's cool if you prefer to stick to other groups, based on the blunders and whatnot that make the rounds, okay. But just because you can post the way you do, doesn't mean you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They're not 100% incorrect but they get enough factually mistranslated to be garbage to watch and on top of that their stuff that is somewhat closer to correct is more often than not written in an awkward way that is both devoid of any character the original lines had and almost nonsensical. This isn't just us being grognards about Anime Subs, they're actively bad even when they decided to actually translate things.

Uh excuse me have you taken four years of Japanese and compared the subs side by side

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

They in all likelihood have some episodes that are as far as you know decently translated, at least getting a good amount right, and you're too angry and biased to watch them. It's cool if you prefer to stick to other groups, based on the blunders and whatnot that make the rounds, okay. But just because you can post the way you do, doesn't mean you should.

Go gently caress yourself with your condescending bullshit, dickweed

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not everybody agrees that they're too awkwardly phrased to enjoy or connect with, that part is subjective.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I would agree, but stress that it should be watched W->OOO->Fourze.

W is the best of the bunch so it isn't great if you want increasing quality, but OOO and Fourze are wonderful too and watching them in order lets you enjoy the crossover movies properly and get the full experience out of Mega Max once you hit Fourze, which is just the best.

Seriously, this. Watch the series in order so you can watch the crossover movies correctly because Megamax is amazing and absolutely worth the watch.

And I didn't want to start all of this when I said Dekaranger, I genuinely forgot only TVN subbed it. Go for Kyoryuger, I guess, Kyoryuger is really good! Get the double Riku Sanjo experience!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Not everybody agrees that they're too awkwardly phrased to enjoy or connect with, that part is subjective.

Jack me slow and Jack me hard

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Okay I'd be happy to, let's exchange details.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Heavy Metal posted:

A new fan can handle TV-Nihon

they shouldn't have to. they're objectively bad. never watch tvn. never suggest someone watch tvn.

luckily actually competent people are doing a pretty good job giving old stuff actual subs/subs at all.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

mikeycp posted:

they shouldn't have to. they're objectively bad. never watch tvn. never suggest someone watch tvn.

luckily actually competent people are doing a pretty good job giving old stuff actual subs/subs at all.

But that other guy in this thread watched Dekaranger and liked it enough to recommend, so not everybody has to completely avoid them. Surely there are plenty of others in here who won't chime in who also are glad they saw some TV-N subbed shows.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
If somebody "connects" with TVN subs that's fine but objectively they're not connecting with the spirit and intention of the original work, they're connecting with a warped interpretation of that show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

A new fan can handle TV-Nihon, whatever issues the hardened vet may have will probably not bug them, certainly not enough to skip the shows.

Wha? Bad subtitles aren't a convention of the genre people have to get used to, it's an annoyance for anyone who doesn't enjoy dialogue coming through a stilted filter. Granted that is something English-speaking fans of niche Japanese media have to often deal with, but with genuinely good groups out there there's no reason to dive into that first.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 27, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

John McClane posted:

If somebody "connects" with TVN subs that's fine but objectively they're not connecting with the spirit and intention of the original work, they're connecting with a warped interpretation of that show.

Not really fair to say that all the time on a line by line basis, but I think it's fair to say that's true some of the time. This also applies to plenty of anime fansubs, or even official subs over the years, lots of stuff. We'd all like a perfect translation, whether this group is good enough to watch, there is room to have different opinions on that.

Motto posted:

Wha? Bad subtitles aren't a convention of the genre people have to get used to, it's an annoyance for anyone who doesn't enjoy dialogue coming through a stilted filter. Granted that is something English-speaking fans of niche Japanese media have to often deal with, but with genuinely good groups out there there's no reason to dive into that first.

That's fair. But I do think it's also fair to say you don't need to avoid these shows.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 27, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

That's fair. Why can't that other guy post like this.

because you're a condescending fuckhead, eat poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Not really fair to say that all the time on a line by line basis, but I think it's fair to say that's true some of the time.

it's true enough of the time to say it, stop with this "actually this is only true some of the time so you can't say it broadly" bullshit

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

because you're a condescending fuckhead, eat poo poo

Not really, you started with the attacks, I'm responding to it in about as civil a way as could be expected. You're a tantrum throwing little poo poo. I hope you learn to find your zen place for geek genre discussions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Not really, you started with the attacks, I'm responding to it in about as civil a way as could be expected. You're a tantrum throwing little poo poo.

lmao "i was civil by talking down to you without using swears"

at least you're not denying it anymore

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
If someone wants to watch Dekaranger, they're so much better off watching it raw than goddamn TV-Nihon where they're almost certain to misunderstand dialogue, plot points, and deal with horrible video quality because they are garbage rear end at encoding. Same deal with Faiz, though watching Faiz is a bad idea for a new Kamen Rider viewer because it's very rough, ultra melodramatic, and has little to do with the franchise stylistically or thematically.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 27, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

If someone wants to watch Dekaranger, they're so much better off watching it raw than goddamn TV-Nihon where they're almost certain to misunderstand dialogue, plot points, and deal with horrible video quality because they are garbage rear end at encoding. Same deal with Faiz, though watching Faiz is a very bad idea for a new Kamen Rider viewer because it's ultra melodrama and has little to do with the franchise stylistically or thematically.

excuse me a new fan won't know any better so it won't bother them, thus it's fine

problems are only problems if you know they're problems, furthermore i'm retarded

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lmao "i was civil by talking down to you without using swears"

at least you're not denying it anymore

Disagreeing with you sets you off from the get go, about fansub groups. You really should try to get a handle on that stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Heavy Metal posted:

Surely there are plenty of others in here who won't chime in who also are glad they saw some TV-N subbed shows.

everybody makes mistakes. pobody's nerfect.

it just so happens that the problem at hand is that tvn makes way more mistakes than not.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Disagreeing with you sets you off from the get go, about fansub groups. You really should try to get a handle on that stuff.

perhaps because it's a discussion so well trodden over three incarnations of this thread that i'm sick of having it

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

excuse me a new fan won't know any better so it won't bother them, thus it's fine

problems are only problems if you know they're problems, furthermore i'm retarded

Why are you recommending fansubs that you know are absolutely terrible and never accurate to any person in existence, let alone a new viewer who would be much more confused by poor subs????? You are an idiot.

I think it's really sad and unfortunate that we keep having dumb TV-N shitfests in this thread. Why not have discussions about actual toku series and not pointless spread blatantly wrong information to new viewers?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 27, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
ITT: Forums-poster Dickeye calls the police over the subbing quality of a Japanese children's show.

TVN is bad at what they do.

Not that Magenta is completely free of sin but he's certainly been open to improvement after leaving TVN.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Why are you recommending fansubs that you know are absolutely terrible and never accurate to any person in existence, let alone a new viewer who would be much more confused by poor subs????? You are an idiot.

I'm not

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I thought I was on /m/ for a moment here :zenpop:

Also to whoever said Ghost was worth watching just for the secondary characters: no don't don't

I actually like all the secondary characters except for Shibuya and Narita, and I wouldn't in good conscience recommend Ghost because of them

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The thread title really stays perpetually relevant every time some cymbal-clanging triceratops comes in to tell everyone to settle for less.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The thread title really stays perpetually relevant every time some cymbal-clanging triceratops comes in to tell everyone to settle for less.

Somebody just recommended Deka, and I recommended Faiz, also saying they could start anywhere. Like him, I also don't really keep cataloged who subbed what show I watched a decade ago. So if the regulars tired of talking about it didn't want to talk about it, they could've just let the Deka and Faiz recommendations slide. We were just talking about shows.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Why not have discussions about actual toku series and not pointless spread blatantly wrong information to new viewers?

because people keep coming in here to say that tvn is fine and that you're wrong if you think they're bad.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sorry. I quoted the wrong person. Either way, my point still stands.

Ignis posted:

I thought I was on /m/ for a moment here :zenpop:

Also to whoever said Ghost was worth watching just for the secondary characters: no don't don't

I actually like all the secondary characters except for Shibuya and Narita, and I wouldn't in good conscience recommend Ghost because of them

I really like Onari as a character conceptually. I enjoyed how he was surprisingly and effectively doing the detective grunt work early on in the show, in place of the main character like Takeru or a more grounded character like Akari typically would in modern Rider. He had some very cool moments later in the series where he shows off his legit monk credentials. But Ghost forgets he exists most of the time and rarely does a thing with him besides the dumbest excuses for slapstick "humor".

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I recommended Faiz

i mean this is a whole different problem unto itself

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sorry. I quoted the wrong person. Either way, my point still stands.

I really like Onari as a character conceptually. I enjoyed how he was surprisingly and effectively doing the detective grunt work early on in the show, in place of the main character like Takeru or a more grounded character like Akari typically would in modern Rider. He had some very cool moments later in the series where he shows off his legit monk credentials. But Ghost forgets he exists most of the time and rarely does a thing with him besides the dumbest excuses for slapstick "humor".

I kept waiting for Onari's backstory arc, where it'd be revealed how Takeru's dad changed his yankee ways into monkhood.

That's how it works on my headcanon anyways :shobon:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

I kept waiting for Onari's backstory arc, where it'd be revealed how Takeru's dad changed his yankee ways into monkhood.

That would have been so good.

I mean, anything would have been better than Literally Nothing, but now I specifically want that.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Heavy Metal posted:

I recommended Faiz,

Why don't you just recommend they start with Decade, then skip everything but Ghost and Wizard? Why do you hate people getting into the shows?

And I'll still defend that ghost has some good in it, Onari was enchanting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just wanted to enjoy a little nostalgia for happy times that were had watching the guys in the cool suits punch eachother. The Next Decade by Gackt is arguably the best song in toku history though!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Heavy Metal posted:

I just wanted to enjoy a little nostalgia for happy times that were had watching the guys in the cool suits punch eachother. The Next Decade by Gackt is arguably the best song in toku history though!

Please continue to share your bad and wrong opinions so we are aware that we shouldn't engage you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Please continue to share your bad and wrong opinions so we are aware that we shouldn't engage you.

Do you not like J-Rock? What is the world coming to. That song rocks by any standard I would think! I also like to say "Crom!"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
TVN is... fine. Perfectly serviceable. Watch however you like.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

To the guy who recently finished Drive:

Was that scene worth Chase's weapon's wierd gimmick?

Everything is worth Chase's weapon's weird gimmick.

Also lol "My band mates have been fighting each other a lot recently." "Have you tried...talking it out?" " :stare: "

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mikeycp posted:

i mean this is a whole different problem unto itself

Faiz the show definitely is, but I'd say Paradise Lost is a decent enough way to be introduced to the franchise, was more or less the first thing in the franchise I saw in full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ignis posted:

Ghost was such a waste of potential in basically every respect like this. Like how Alain starts to find his humanity through Fumi and Kanon. That was decently touching. But then once Fumi dies, they completely drop any focus on Alain. :argh:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread