Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SpaceClown posted:

Where in the gently caress can you buy 4 cans of coke for one dollar, let alone 1200 calories worth of chips?

What a bullshit graphic.

Lol, I wish I could get my daily intake of calories for just 2 bux a day. I'd save so much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm glad that I was gifted with the ability to not give much of a poo poo if I need to struggle a little bit to live in this world from birth.

It must suck to want an OK life.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

polysynth posted:

oi mate listen me an posh spice dine on a tenner everynight u yanks have no excuse !

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Food is cheap as gently caress you idiots stop going to trader joes or wholefoods or big market chains or whatever price gouging crapoli you shop at and visit a farmers market or growop.

Also loving lol if you dont think food is comparatively cheap in america vs anywhere in europe.

Short of 3rd world countries america has the cheapest goddamn food.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jack Trades posted:

Lol, I wish I could get my daily intake of calories for just 2 bux a day. I'd save so much money.

mcdonalds i think

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

mcdonalds i think

No, youd struggle to break 1500 with 5 bucks let alone 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hakimashou posted:

mcdonalds i think

A Big Mac is 4$ for 560 calories in US. That's nowhere near close to 2$ for 2400 calories.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
tbf the big mac isn't the most calorie:dollar dense menu item, that would be the fries.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I'm technically on the fringes of being poor. I make 21000 a year pay 900 a month in rent work 48 hors a week and have no debt because I didn't go to collage. I also have an OK savings just in case.

I cut it pretty close on my budget some months but have enough money to treat myself to a video game every once in a while and go out to a restaurant with my friends.

My life isn't wonderful but I'll live.

The global median salary is somewhere around $1500 per year, so you are rich as gently caress. To be the top 1% you only need to make $34,000.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SpaceClown posted:

tbf the big mac isn't the most calorie:dollar dense menu item, that would be the fries.

Fair enough. 1.9$ for 500Cal.
Still not even close.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

The global median salary is somewhere around $1500 per year, so you are rich as gently caress. To be the top 1% you only need to make $34,000.

isn't that a false equivalence? a specific amount of money doesn't buy the same quality of life everywhere you go

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

and a lot of people eat for less than $.30 a day.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

SpaceClown posted:

Where in the gently caress can you buy 4 cans of coke for one dollar, let alone 1200 calories worth of chips?

What a bullshit graphic.

I'm a thrifty shopper. The Super Big Gulp at 7/11 has refills for 99 cents, and is 44oz. A normal can of Coke is 12oz. This means I get roughly 7.4 "cans" of Coke for each of the two dollars I spend.

Edit: gently caress I misread your numbers. That's not cheaper than 4 for a dollar. Yeah that's pretty nuts.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Pawn 17 posted:

i think you are overlooking some important details here friend

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The real question is: How many calories a serving of a "rich" is and will Americans keep getting more and more obese if they start eating them?

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

myDad posted:

What's the deal with people getting upset about wealth distribution in America but not knowing even the first step to take in order to rectify it? :jerry:

Ummmm we're discussing the solution itt idiot, eat the rich

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Chernobyl baby posted:

Ummmm we're discussing the solution itt idiot, eat the rich

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
But you are what you eat, it's a vicious cycle

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The real question is: How many calories a serving of a "rich" is and will Americans keep getting more and more obese if they start eating them?

I mean everyone in America is obese in varying states of morbidity, so I assume one American rich can probably sustain a third world country for at least a week

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

myDad posted:

That's the point, that's how we distribute the wealth!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SpaceClown posted:

What a bullshit graphic.

You can get a 12 pk of store brand soda for well under $3.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

myDad posted:

you can come down with a wicked bad case of gout just by consuming the flesh of a single Rich Kid of Instagram. not for nothing is gout known as "the rich man's disease."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

yeah, Kroger store brand is like 1.99.

SpaceClown posted:

yeah but even the poors aren't desperate enough to drink that garbage.

i think a more important point here, beyond the type of soda, you'll still be able to get water for a fuckload cheaper anyways.

strangely enough the kroger brand seltzer water is more expensive than the soda. but yes drinking tap water is cheaper, if you live in a place that hasn't poisoned its water supply through pollution.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 27, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

yeah but even the poors aren't desperate enough to drink that garbage.

i think a more important point here, beyond the type of soda, you'll still be able to get water for a fuckload cheaper anyways.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

uber_stoat posted:

strangely enough the kroger brand seltzer water is more expensive than the soda. but yes drinking tap water is cheaper, if you live in a place that hasn't poisoned its water supply through pollution.

I wasn't thinking tap water. There are plenty of places where you can fill those giant water cooler jugs for a few dollars and if you REALLY wanted to there are plenty of places you can get it free. Community colleges, etc.

E: Yeah it's like a dollar for 5 gallons.

Compare to the $2 for 1 gallon. Water is at the least 10x cheaper than soda even if you don't have running water/non-potable running water.

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Streak posted:

Time is money friend

Most true statement. Rich will pay you for it. You lose working for it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

myDad posted:

isn't that a false equivalence? a specific amount of money doesn't buy the same quality of life everywhere you go

Well as the saying goes, "It's better to be poor in a rich country than rich in a poor country". Just being in a first world country means you are part of the wealthy elite from a global perspective. You benefit from a ton of poo poo that you take for granted. You have clean, drinkable water. You have sewage systems. You have police and army to protect you and you family. Paved roads, education, Internet, etc

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

What i'm saying is everyone itt is on the chopping block. Get in your shitposting in while you can!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
$5 Little Kaiser's pizza is like 2500 calories and tastes good enough to eat once a day

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceClown posted:

What a bullshit graphic.

A store

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
guys its totally a good economy, capitalism is working fine and here's my *example that shows the only way to survive on the amount of money poor people have is to drink the diabetes drink mixed with a jug of olive oil and then complain and try to kill funding for their insurance when they get depressed and the diabetus*

also before you cut medicaid make fun of them for their diet that you did google math to encourage them to live on lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love making the strawmen. I make the best strawmen. The greatest. I'll make strawmen so good I'll keep winning all the time.

GO COMMUNISM! BASH THE FASH!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I love making the strawmen. I make the best strawmen. The greatest. I'll make strawmen so good I'll keep winning all the time.

I truly enjoyed your 3 page derail where you were pricing out how much cum the working class needs to quaff in order to sustain itself

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

I truly enjoyed your 3 page derail where you were pricing out how much cum the working class needs to quaff in order to sustain itself

I aim to please. :tipshat:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Trades posted:

I hope you get the help you so obviously need.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Streak posted:

I hope you get the help you so obviously need.

Thank you very much. Your concerns are highly appreciated.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey, sweet, the rice and beans argument where overpaid computer janitors lecture people on how cheap eating healthy is

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
As a broke college student,

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The poors don't eat fresh veggies because it doesn't taste good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Space Crabs posted:

Oh hey, sweet, the rice and beans argument where overpaid computer janitors lecture people on how cheap eating healthy is

Except that I'm poor as gently caress, I barely spend any money on food and SOMEHOW I managed not to be an overweight gently caress.

Sorry I offended your fat rear end.

• Locked thread