Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Dick Tracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

And with this, we're officially caught up! Since this is a once-a-week strip, I'm going to start posting older Gordon strips to keep the content flowing.

1999 Spider-Man

Darned millenials, trying to do good things for small children! :bahgawd:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Crimestoppers textbook:
If a wedding guest get murdered, it's the groom's responsibility to catch the culprit.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Dr. Dos posted:

I forget if there's any talk with the family when Calvin sends the car into a ditch.

iirc basically he tells hobbes his parents were just glad nobody was hurt and that he should ask for permission

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Hel posted:

This is pretty much what I mean, I get that the strip did some cool things and I like a lot of the strips(the dad polling stuff is great).
I mostly just get the same reaction this thread(including me) gets when one of the old strips gets racist/sexist, "I like you please don't do this", and that's it's not really acknowledged whenever it's brought up as "The Greatest Comic strip ever".

I've seen it get praise for how it's shows bullies with Moe, but never any real comment about how Calvin harasses(might be a bit strong) Rosalyn , Susie and his parents(though at least Susie usually gets some payback). The only real comment about Calvin being an rear end in a top hat I ever see is that drat pissing Calvin sticker..

Re-reading Calvin and Hobbes made me realize how much of the strip (especially in later years) was just Watterson's superficial complaints about TV and the modern world. I also realized Calvin's dad is a jerk for dragging his family on vacations that only he enjoys.

It's still a cute and well-drawn comic, and in its best years Calvin and Hobbes pulled off some neat insights and humor (the trip to Mars, the Transmogrifier, Calvin playing baseball) but it gets unappealing when it runs out of good ideas. Locking the babysitter out of the house is a perfect example. There's no imagination in it. At least the arc where he dressed up as a superhero and fought her was funny.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
There must be something about becoming a parent that sucks out any capacity for humor and fun out of you. Glad I'm not going down that road.

Between this and the "not bringing food into movie theaters is our civic duty!" guy, y'all goons have become a bunch of Pluggers.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Several years on it's comforting to know it's still Comic Strip Megathread tradition to declare the courageous and unique opinion that despite being very well written and having some of if not the best art ever seen on a comic page, Calvin and Hobbes isn't actually very good you guys!

Kid Fenris posted:

I also realized Calvin's dad is a jerk for dragging his family on vacations that only he enjoys.
I agree characters in comics should not have flaws. It makes them unrealistic and uninteresting.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The only good comic is Prince Valiant

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Simian_Prime posted:

Confession time: When I was 8 I did this to my babysitter after reading the comic.

Kids don't change. I babysat a group of hellions that did this to me over a decade before Watterson started writing C&H. Another pair of little jerks locked themselves in their parents' bedroom and took the extension phone off the hook so that I couldn't call for help.

Of course there were a lot of kids who were no problem and actually nice to sit for, but the point is, some kids just don't have impulse control or any idea what the results of their behavior could be; they just think pranking the babysitter is funny. In that regard I think C&H hits the mark pretty well.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My nephew did that to his mom at some point, without having read c& h. Some kids are just sorta naughty!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Main Street by Gus Mager, July 8, 1923.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Chin posted:

Several years on it's comforting to know it's still Comic Strip Megathread tradition to declare the courageous and unique opinion that despite being very well written and having some of if not the best art ever seen on a comic page, Calvin and Hobbes isn't actually very good you guys!
It is very good, but it's silly to pretend it's flawless(which the internet is prone to do, because people have real trouble with the idea that things can be good but also have flaws). And discussing flaws makes for more interesting discussion than an endless stream of "holy poo poo, best comic of all time, let's go suck Watterson's dick" posts.

Like, this is a good comic, and has good art(even using the title panel for a random dino drawing because why not, it's more interesting than leaving it blank), but but there's not much to say about it other than variations on "this is a good comic".

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the dinos panel is what Calvin was thinking about before he was rudely interrupted by his parent.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Chin posted:

I agree characters in comics should not have flaws. It makes them unrealistic and uninteresting.

Simian_Prime posted:

There must be something about becoming a parent that sucks out any capacity for humor and fun out of you. Glad I'm not going down that road.

Between this and the "not bringing food into movie theaters is our civic duty!" guy, y'all goons have become a bunch of Pluggers.

It's amazing how allergic some people are to criticism.
But I guess that makes things easier. I have decided that The Grizzwells is the best thing on the comics page and all naysayers are just humorless and ignorant. They probably have children, too.

Seriously, it's OK to criticize something you like. Fun, too!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That said it's also pretty fun to criticize comics you hate. On that note

Adams could literally write this same strip with Dilbert in the green shirted guy's role and we'd be expected to take away that he was smart and correct to waste his coworker's time. Hell he probably has.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It just occurred to me that I have no idea what I'm supposed to make of Dilbert's head/hair situation.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

His dad died recently, which is why we got some Sally Forth strips where Ted was trying to process the reality of his own aging father. If other things are happening as well, I haven't heard about them.
That's what I was referring to.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

They wear some weird socks at Yale.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Haifisch posted:

It is very good, but it's silly to pretend it's flawless(which the internet is prone to do, because people have real trouble with the idea that things can be good but also have flaws). And discussing flaws makes for more interesting discussion than an endless stream of "holy poo poo, best comic of all time, let's go suck Watterson's dick" posts.
Discussing flaws can be interesting but there's a difference between discussing flaws and saying, "Does anyone even like this strip that didn't read it as a kid?" as people are wont to do to establish the edgy uniqueness of their perspective. The implication being it's actually poo poo and only enjoyed due to nostalgia.

To be fair it's not always hipsterish posturing. Some people might prefer to read a Rose is Rose type comic where everyone's high on life and effervescently positive over a strip where a father is sometimes sarcastic or the main character is a realistically self-involved six-year-old. And some people are incapable of discerning the difference between Watterson's brushwork and Garfield's copy/pasting.

e: I don't mean for the Rose is Rose comparison to be as derisive as it might read. Rose is Rose is objectively poo poo but I only meant to use it as an example of a strip where everyone's happy and supportive and tripping balls all of the time.

Chin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 26, 2017

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

double-shot of random Wallace The Brave

I don't know who this gordon kid is, but I like his style.

Curtis

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I feel like this is basically what's been going on at the dealership every time I've bought a car. Which is weird because I'm an absurdly easy mark.

Simian_Prime posted:

Y'all goons have become a bunch of Pluggers.

You shut your drat mouth. :ohdear:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vargo posted:

I don't know who this gordon kid is, but I like his style.

Curtis

Ha! I remember when learning a teacher's first name felt like some sort of forbidden magic.

And that Curtis is good, too. I've always liked Curtis and it's cool to see the rare strip in which he's actually having fun with his dad. It's kinda exuberant.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Kid Fenris posted:

It's amazing how allergic some people are to criticism.
But I guess that makes things easier. I have decided that The Grizzwells is the best thing on the comics page and all naysayers are just humorless and ignorant. They probably have children, too.

Seriously, it's OK to criticize something you like. Fun, too!

Edit: Never mind

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Pastry of the Year posted:

Ha! I remember when learning a teacher's first name felt like some sort of forbidden magic.

And that Curtis is good, too. I've always liked Curtis and it's cool to see the rare strip in which he's actually having fun with his dad. It's kinda exuberant.

Yeah, this Curtis is A+.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah once in a while the kid and his dad just share a moment and it's surprisingly nice to see on the comics page.

"That time Dad and I watched dumb Internet videos until our dinner got cold" is just a nice story and I don't know why.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House, August 3, 2016

Back to B.C., February 19, 1958

Lucky Cow, April 23, 2003

Spirit of the Staircase, July 30, 2016

Upside Downs, October 18, 1903

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/jongraywb/status/846142983024115712

Goddamn even the MLP comic is digging on Dilbert

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ponies suck, but at least they aren't Trump-supporters.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unlike their fans.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Frog Applause weighs in on the Pearls/Fox Trot thing in typically peculiar fashion:

And speaking of rhymes, here's Rhymes with Orange.

Pros and Cons

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Yay! She hung herself!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Working Daze needs some chewables.

Working Daze has some bad physics.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Simian_Prime posted:

Not even close to what I said when I explained why some people working at theaters give a poo poo about customers bringing in outside food.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Boy, I don't know why I love The Epic/Brutal Report so much but it might be one of my favourite bits from Super-Fun-Pak-Comix.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

catlord posted:

Boy, I don't know why I love The Epic/Brutal Report so much but it might be one of my favourite bits from Super-Fun-Pak-Comix.
I was literally just thinking the same thing. I'm sure it would grow old in a hurry if it were every day, but as it is, it's always a treat.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I was okay with silver fox Mary Worth, and the artist eventually figured out how to draw a properly shlubby and ineffectual Wilbur Weston, but man, this New Toby freaks me out. When did she start taking giant fistfuls of drugs, anyway? Is this whole cruise idea just a scheme to make Mary mule a few kilos back for her?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Half expected it to be 'because he didn't give it to her'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Gilchrist really loves his garbage eating doggs.

Dustin

Mandrake

• Locked thread