Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I loving love Quest 64. I want more RPGs with that kind of combat system.

Yknow, but like maybe not designed as 'babbys first rpg.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wish Twitch would encourage people to view stuff that isn't the biggest newest thing. It is incredibly hard to find people playing more obscure/less popular games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I remember getting legit mad after seeing this available on a store shelf, looking at it like "It's a low-rent King's Bounty recycle with polygons and loading times in a cheap cash grab."

Then I played it a few months back.

Assumptions confirmed.

You are aware that the Heroes of Might and Magic series are essentially sequels to King's Bounty from the exact same developer, right?

IIRC, Dragonbone Staff is a stripped down port of HOMM1 which is closer to King's Bounty than the original game. I think it was HOMM1, it might have been 2 but it definitely wasn't 3.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Djarum posted:

I wish Twitch would encourage people to view stuff that isn't the biggest newest thing. It is incredibly hard to find people playing more obscure/less popular games.

I find that following the Retro category gets some stuff. Most streamers recognize using that category instead of using the name of the game gets them more viewers overall.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Djarum posted:

I'll stream for you baby just tell me who you want me to be.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I remember getting legit mad after seeing this available on a store shelf, looking at it like "It's a low-rent King's Bounty recycle with polygons and loading times in a cheap cash grab."

Then I played it a few months back.

Assumptions confirmed.

I'm mad I didn't check out the PS2 only Wizardry game until a pseudo sequel came out for PSP.

The Machine posted:

I loving love Quest 64. I want more RPGs with that kind of combat system.

Yknow, but like maybe not designed as 'babbys first rpg.'

There's some good ideas buried within but it needs to ditch random battles and have an actual tactical grid instead of a weird free roam around rings thing that makes lining up different spells impossible.

I remember liking the world and how the levels transitioned. It teases you to explore, and you have to because your magic sucks without those spirit things, but have fun getting into fights every 3 steps in an RPG with no shops.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 25, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

You are aware that the Heroes of Might and Magic series are essentially sequels to King's Bounty from the exact same developer, right?

IIRC, Dragonbone Staff is a stripped down port of HOMM1 which is closer to King's Bounty than the original game. I think it was HOMM1, it might have been 2 but it definitely wasn't 3.

I am totally aware. I'm happy that Heroes of Might and Magic largely went its own way, but holy poo poo Dragonbone Staff felt lazy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the best place to pick up a non-poo poo ps2 slim power supply? All the ones on amazon are Chinese and have reviews talking about how they die after 10 hours.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the best place to pick up a non-poo poo ps2 slim power supply? All the ones on amazon are Chinese and have reviews talking about how they die after 10 hours.

Maybe just buy a beat to hell "for parts or repair" system for cheap on eBay. Chances are the PSU is fine.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Djarum posted:

Speed runs live.com

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Well of course, they were Dreamcast games.

Well don't leave us hanging, what were they? :suspense:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, what were they? :suspense:

Highlights: rez, marvel vs capcom 2, mars matrix, metropolis street racer, crazy taxi. It looks like it's pretty old too. Not completely reliable because maybe he didn't bother setting the time and date, but most of the saves claim to be from 2002. It's a 3rd party 4 bank switchable memory card.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Djarum posted:

They really need some filters for browsing. Genre, developer, release year, etc. I should send them an email to request that. But yeah, definitely follow "Retro". I also follow "Arcade Classics", some people stream AC stuff under that.

Bigass Moth posted:

Speed runs live.com

Speedrunning is way too prevalent. I'd rather watch a competent player (score runs, 100% completion, challenge runs, etc) than someone just blazing through it as fast as they can.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ofecks posted:

They really need some filters for browsing. Genre, developer, release year, etc. I should send them an email to request that. But yeah, definitely follow "Retro". I also follow "Arcade Classics", some people stream AC stuff under that.

Speedrunning is way too prevalent. I'd rather watch a competent player (score runs, 100% completion, challenge runs, etc) than someone just blazing through it as fast as they can.

It's not as simple as blazing through the levels. There's a lot of practice and research put into speedruns.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mill Village posted:

It's not as simple as blazing through the levels. There's a lot of practice and research put into speedruns.

Speed runs are one of those things that weren't interesting to me until I tried to do them. Then you realize the insane skill involved and suddenly they're entertaining. (I'm not good a speed running)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I recognize the insane amount of robot-like practice required to speedrun proficiently but I'm more interested in the self-imposed challenges like 100% speedrun or no-death/no-damage. Like it blows my mind people complete Castlevania 3 whip only, that poo poo's intense.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I need help on emulation. I've got my main PC, runs Win10, and alongside my desktop monitor, I also have it hooked up to my TV. I have an iPhone app (Unified Remote) so I can switch from desktop to TV to play PC games. It switches video from monitor to TV, and then launches Steam Big Screen.

I want an emulation frontend to go with this, that I can launch in Big Screen, and control with a controller. Plenty of options out there, I have mGalaxy at the moment. I've always been frustrated emulating multiple systems at a time, though, when it comes to controllers. I have several options. Not only do I have my main controller, a Dualshock 4, and my Steam controller, I also have USB adaptors for NES, SNES, and N64. The problem is getting all my different emulators configured for different controllers. With many emulators, if a controller gets disconnected while the emulator isn't even running, then the emulator won't see that controller again next time it runs.

Here's what I'm looking for: a Windows emulator frontend with support for multiple controllers, that lets you choose which controller configuration you want to use to play any given game. So, not only is it a frontend for choosing ROMs, but it's also a frontend for the actual controller input. Each emulator would have the same identical controller configurations for 'player 1', 'player 2' and so on. The frontend decides which controller is controlled by which player, and then acts as a middleman between the controller and the emulator.

Does this exist?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Retroarch, though it'll take about 6 weeks to set everything up correctly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good day for packages for me. I got Panel de Pon which should be fun and I got an off-brand Lego Centipede kit. The same company does Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Q*Bert kits, but I thought the other ones don't look too great. I think they were tie ins with that terrible Adam Sandler film...

My camera is giving me fits so here's a stolen picture of what it looks like:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Elliotw2 posted:

Retroarch, though it'll take about 6 weeks to set everything up correctly.

Yeah, it seems like RetroArch is my only option. I don't mind the work put in to configuring it, what I don't like about it is being limited to its choice of cores.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Most of it's cores are really good though. The main issue anyone has with Retroarch is it being terrible to configure.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Retroarch took me a while to get it all cobbled together into something functionally awesome and once it was all set up I realized I'd rather play on real hardware anyway so I ended up getting a crt, a composite switch box, a bunch of consoles, controller extension cables, and a everdrives/blank CDs. I'm much happier (and broke) now.

I still use my retropie for MAME stuff because arcade hardware is a bit out of reach for me.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RetroArch is a lot easier when the ROM files you have are in a specific naming scheme. NoIntro for ROM-based files, ReDump for Opticals and TOSEC for disks/tapes. If you have those sets, everything scans in perfectly with the thumbnail metadata that you can download in the interface.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mill Village posted:

Yes, I get it. Just not my favorite thing.

SwissCM posted:

RetroArch is a lot easier when the ROM files you have are in a specific naming scheme. NoIntro for ROM-based files, ReDump for Opticals and TOSEC for disks/tapes. If you have those sets, everything scans in perfectly with the thumbnail metadata that you can download in the interface.

The biggest problem I had with RetroArch when I messed around with it a while back is there's no search function for games in fullscreen mode. Unless I missed something, you can use the arrow keys or page up/down, but that's it. Takes forever to get to what you want. If you have complete romsets you really need to be able to type in characters like any old windows dialog box (you can load a single rom this way in windowed mode).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can actually search, I think triangle opens it by default.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Any version differences to be aware of with psp games? I read something about FFT European version being superior.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well turns out a 32x power supply will run a ps2 slim as long as the disc drive doesn't move. So if I boot the console with the lid up it works.

Still have to find a real power supply, but at least now I know the thing actually works.

Turns out sega does both what nintendont and what sonycant.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Looks like you're going to need a few more amps. From what I see online, the slim PS2 runs at 8.5V, 5.7A.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, hence not using the disc drive. If I shut the lid it reboots as soon as the spindle tries to move, due to low amperage.

Now I just have to find a non-garbage power supply, which might be the hardest part.

Not bad for a cheap goodwill replacement for my broken fat ps2 all said and done though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you get desperate, get a super-slim (SCPH-9000 series) where the PSU is built-in. That SKU is an engineering marvel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, I like playing Panel de Pon (or Tetris Attack to plebs), but it's part of class of puzzle games that I'll never be great at. It's got that Puyo Puyo thing where at higher levels the player has to have superfast reflexes and the ability to read and identify the patterns in a whole field at once. I'm too deliberate with my puzzling to really master them. I'm getting stuck on stage 5 of the "stage clear" mode (which is about speed 40.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well turns out a 32x power supply will run a ps2 slim as long as the disc drive doesn't move. So if I boot the console with the lid up it works.

Still have to find a real power supply, but at least now I know the thing actually works.

Turns out sega does both what nintendont and what sonycant.

There are Sony laptop power supplies at 8.5 volt and 9 volt which use the same plug and provide enough amperage, and the 9 volt ones don't seem to cause any issues by way of the slightly higher voltage. You might try looking for those, though I can't even begin to remember what models matched up. Just that I used an old VAIO laptop power supply for a PS2 Slim for years.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I like playing Panel de Pon (or Tetris Attack to plebs), but it's part of class of puzzle games that I'll never be great at. It's got that Puyo Puyo thing where at higher levels the player has to have superfast reflexes and the ability to read and identify the patterns in a whole field at once. I'm too deliberate with my puzzling to really master them. I'm getting stuck on stage 5 of the "stage clear" mode (which is about speed 40.

I never really liked Tetris Attacks as a competitive game for these reasons myself. I also think it's just a little too passive with how you have to just react to whatever blocks slide up, instead of having control of where you're putting your piece and how you build.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

If I can go from laughably pathetic to getting to Mewtwo in Pokemon Puzzle League's hidden-behind-a-cheat-code Super Hard mode you can to!

Still never beat that fucker though and it's been years so I'm way out of practice :argh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Of all the "block" game variations Panel de Pon types are the ones I can't stand. I find the horizontal movement/cursor too limiting, and dislike having to rely on gravity so much to do anything. Puyo Puyo, Tetris, Palamedes, Magical Drop, and even Kirby's Star Stacker are all options I'd take over Panel de Pon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm sorry you're not good enough to do skill chains maybe you should stick to your falling garbage blocks and blobs after all :smuggo:

I'm very, very terrible at Puyo Puyo :negative:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is MAME the most accurate arcade emulator

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Smoking Crow posted:

Is MAME the most accurate arcade emulator

Yes. That's it's purpose.

Though some of the older MAME versions are used on other platforms and in RetroArch, because they go for speed over accuracy.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

fishmech posted:

Though some of the older MAME versions are used on other platforms and in RetroArch, because they go for speed over accuracy.

And this insistence will never not be a kick in the pants for me, who likes having Gyruss at accurate speed (the one on Mame2003 runs too fast).

Also, the build for 2003 breaks Rush N Attack, which also makes me grumpy. Yeah, I could toss in the core for a more recent MAME, but it's more difficult than it should be in RetroPie, where I primarily use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm doing a ton of house cleaning, and going through boxes of old paperwork. I found this amazing flyer and am not tossing it out.
edit: I don't know if I got this at GDC in 2004, or if I got this when the Phantom guys gave a presentation at Full Sail when I was attending in 2003.

• Locked thread