Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan's plans after that were main event matches against Nash, Hall and Yokozuna (the nWo not being conceived yet) so if that was his plan he didn't plan ahead well. If Sullivan was trying to do anything it would be hard to tell as Hogan wanted to go harder on putting himself over, he wanted Pillman included in the match.

The Uncensored thing was Bischoff thought boffo gimmicks were the key to drawing big money on PPV and it kind of worked.

Oh it's almost certainly like Kevin Sullivan is full of poo poo. I do think it's hilarious that Hogan was trying to make it even more ludicrous. Did he want to go over Bruno Sammartino and Superstar Billy Graham in a handicap match?

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jason Sextro posted:

Oh it's almost certainly like Kevin Sullivan is full of poo poo. I do think it's hilarious that Hogan was trying to make it even more ludicrous. Did he want to go over Bruno Sammartino and Superstar Billy Graham in a handicap match?

No they wanted to bring Bruno in to team with Larry, Arn and Orndorff and feud with The Powers That/To be during Russo's first run.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

No they wanted to bring Bruno in to team with Larry, Arn and Orndorff and feud with The Powers That/To be during Russo's first run.

:lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WCW is like six degrees of Kevin Bacon, except you are taking a joke about WCW and figuring out something related to the joke that was even dumber.

And you can always do it in one degree.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

WCW is like six degrees of Kevin Bacon, except you are taking a joke about WCW and figuring out something related to the joke that was even dumber.

And you can always do it in one degree.

Kevin Bacon was in Frost/Nixon with Oliver Platt

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright.

So Vince Russo is poo poo. You know it. I know it. Everybody except Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett knows it.

But in the name of fairness, and in the name that we mean the above statement objectively, not subjectively, let's take this opportunity to compliment Russo on all the good things he did in WCW.
(Or at least good things that happened on his watch. I dunno, I don't know how to separate the two).

- He made Sid a completely serviceable and believable #2 face.
- Roddy Piper has never been more tolerable in WCW than he was during the Russo era (Because he had an actual character and motivation and wasn't given the stick for 10 minutes on end to rant about RuPaul).
- The Lex Luger reinvention as chickshit heel "The Total Package" has been surprisingly amazing.
- His greatest triumph - Screamin' Norman Smiley.
- The Revolution vs. Filthy Animals sucked and went on way too long and had no rooting interest, but at least he was giving the right guys camera time.
- I count his fixation on the youth movement as a net positive, even if in 1999 WCW had very few legitimately worthwhile young talents (I probably blame the power plant for this).
- Made David Flair entertaining. Which should be impossible.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pass

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright.

So Vince Russo is poo poo. You know it. I know it. Everybody except Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett knows it.

But in the name of fairness, and in the name that we mean the above statement objectively, not subjectively, let's take this opportunity to compliment Russo on all the good things he did in WCW.
(Or at least good things that happened on his watch. I dunno, I don't know how to separate the two).

- Roddy Piper has never been more tolerable in WCW than he was during the Russo era (Because he had an actual character and motivation and wasn't given the stick for 10 minutes on end to rant about RuPaul).
- The Lex Luger reinvention as chickshit heel "The Total Package" has been surprisingly amazing.
- The Revolution vs. Filthy Animals sucked and went on way too long and had no rooting interest, but at least he was giving the right guys camera time.
- I count his fixation on the youth movement as a net positive, even if in 1999 WCW had very few legitimately worthwhile young talents (I probably blame the power plant for this).

Is this sarcasm? I want it to be sarcasm.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I, for one, cannot believe Vince Russo succeeded in taking a guy who had been a main eventer for years, and was a main eventer in WCW well before Russo was in the company, and made him into a main eventer.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Look, I am REALLY trying to be nice here and giving him credit for things he probably doesn't deserve I know.

Is there a nicer way to say 'He made Sid suck less than he had for his entire career up until that point'

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I, for one, cannot believe Vince Russo succeeded in taking a guy who had been a main eventer for years, and was a main eventer in WCW well before Russo was in the company, and made him into a main eventer.

Hasn't he proven subsequently that he can't really get anyone over? All those people were already over.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

David Flair's match with El Dandy was pretty drat entertaining though, but that might have nothing to do with Russo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The best idea Russo ever had was The Brood.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sid was always good.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jason Sextro posted:

David Flair's match with El Dandy was pretty drat entertaining though, but that might have nothing to do with Russo.

Who are you to doubt Vince Russo?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rare Magic card l00k posted:

are we talking about Lex or Sid

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright.

The Total Package started before Russo came aboard and Sid has been entertaining this whole run.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

No way, Sid's stuff with Savage and Steiner was garbo.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Russo continues to get people to believe that he was somehow singlehandedly responsible for the Attitude Era and ignore his WCW and TNA disasters, I'm confused about why he would need defending.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Because I feel like 391 pages of making GBS threads is fairly balanced by 1-2 pages of praise.
Seems like a decent ratio for Russo.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
One of the only checkmarks people cede to Russo is "he tries to get new people over," but even that is immediately followed by, "even though he has absolutely no idea how to do so."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Russo called Hogan a politicking piece of poo poo on live TV and got him to go away so he's got that in his favor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the list of which wcw bookers hated black people the most, russo is probably like 3rd or 4th from the top?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
"New Yawk Rulez caunt ya own fawlz" is funnier than it has any right being.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

on the list of which wcw bookers hated black people the most, russo is probably like 3rd or 4th from the top?

he just hated women, mexicans, and the japanese

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Endorph posted:

Ole, Bill Watts and the Nature Boy are a strong top of the order

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I've always been amazed he didn't squash David Sammartino during his very short run there in order to prove some sort of an insane point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Zbysko constantly putting himself over on commentary to the detriment of everything else is amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Zbysko constantly putting himself over on commentary to the detriment of everything else is amazing.

Soon after Spicolli died

Out of respect to Louie's family, I will not comment

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Isn't that kind of what he's always done in every situation?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

he just hated women, mexicans, and the japanese

with the mexicans and japanese i think he was just extremely close minded about what could draw in wrestling and didnt actually hate them

dude loving loathes women tho, yeah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

with the mexicans and japanese i think he was just extremely close minded about what could draw in wrestling and didnt actually hate them

dude loving loathes women tho, yeah

he booked all the Mexican wrestlers in a pinata on the pole match that ended with Dr Death Steve Williams stealing a $10,000 check and sending 3 men to the hospital

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

he booked all the Mexican wrestlers in a pinata on the pole match that ended with Dr Death Steve Williams stealing a $10,000 check and sending 3 men to the hospital

what is with russo and pole matches anyway

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Symbolic power display.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Sexual fetish for poles

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The inherent erect penis aesthetic of a pole reaffirms his specific brand of masculinity in an otherwise homoerotic sport -- or he's a perpetual teenager who thinks dicks are hilarious.

Either way, it's all about dicks.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

triplexpac posted:

Where and when did Zbysko become a name? I'm only familiar with his work as an announcer on Nitro.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I thought the "X on a pole" match was designed to get all the drama and tension of a ladder match, (will they/wont they manage to get the thing), but at a greatly reduced risk of injury.

Although the way that Russo booked them willy-nilly, and often with ludicrous things on the pole, (even though it was technically a forklift, I think it was still billed as a Judy Bagwell on a pole match), the "drama" was often not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nystral posted:

Where and when did Zbysko become a name? I'm only familiar with his work as an announcer on Nitro.

He had a big feud with Bruno Sammartino in WWE