Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anyone feel the bit with the deer a bit heavy handed?

I really liked how psycho-jack was drawn and posed up. His poses were all something youd see a villain/unsophisticated thug in a samurai movie do: hand always on sword, baggy robes, the works.

Also about the moralizing killing humans but: its not that its easy for jack now, imo, but that hes accepted, or is beginning to refind, his path now, and the fact that humans may be in the way of that. His decisions and actions show who he really is: a samurai, a warrior and a survivor.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I really liked how psycho-jack was drawn and posed up. His poses were all something youd see a villain/unsophisticated thug in a samurai movie do: hand always on sword, baggy robes, the works.
Nah, heavy-handed is where they kill the deer.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm 100% that the speech Jack recites is what the bandit lord trying to kill his father says before he gets totally owned, and that was why the scene was so heavy for me, because it signifies that Jack is not choosing to defend himself so much as he is choosing to trap and kill them. Like, he draws first blood with his two opening shots and it goes am from there, he could have easily kept running. I think this means that the rest of the season is Jack taking the fight to Aku.
"Your choices have led you here, as have mine. I will give you a new choice, leave now and live, or stay here and face your destiny" is what his dad said to the bandit, not the other way around.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Nah, that's...actually completely realistic for kids who are THAT badly damaged. There are actually abused kids like that where affection actually feels threatening to them; it activates feelings that're so foreign to them, that they literally do not know how to handle it.

If that's the case, it's only natural that they want it dead.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I might have totally misread the scene but I saw it as supposed to be a brief moment of comedy. They're talking about how the bigger deer is a blessing from Aku and they're so confused by kissing existing that they forget what they're doing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh and I know their physiques are supposed to be stylized but i cant help but think that Jack was being a hunted by a pack of Dexter's Moms.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean we saw in the first episode that the kids were prevented from seeing any of the outside world at all, when Ashi sneaks a peek. It makes sense that they don't know what a deer is.

The deer being absurdly cute is a nice touch.

edit: it's not something that's kept up but I liked the creepy shot of the Daughters swimming sideways so that their masks are always facing the camera, like Aku's face.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

mycot posted:

I mean we saw in the first episode that the kids were prevented from seeing any of the outside world at all, when Ashi sneaks a peek.

Yeah...not a very smart move, in hindsight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

nerdbot posted:

I might have totally misread the scene but I saw it as supposed to be a brief moment of comedy. They're talking about how the bigger deer is a blessing from Aku and they're so confused by kissing existing that they forget what they're doing.

I mean, if it was going to be totally played for comedy, there were certain other (off-camera) ways the buck "devouring" the doe could've gone. :v:

Really, though, I think it was just one last thing to drive home just how warped their childhoods were; they literally can't conceive innocence like that, and were so horribly confused by it that they almost lash out at them to make it stop. Assuming Ashi survived the fall, and she and Jack later have to band together to survive, I'd imagine there'll probably be another such incident of her being so hopelessly confused by something as innocent as that that clues Jack in to just how horrible her life has been.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I just really hope that Ashi doesn't become a permanent companion to Jack. He should always travel alone, only partnering up with someone for an episode before moving on.

Jack and Aku have been in a literal stalemate for 50 years with one being unable to kill the other. I'm thinking the theory jack isn't going to make it to the end of the series is correct. Jack will realize that he cannot defeat Aku in a direct confrontation, and that just as he was trained, he will pass on the knowledge. He'll realize that the burden is not his alone. Jack will die in an Obi-won sort of way, completely at peace with the events as they unfold, and just as Aku starts to gloat at finally gaining the upper hand Aki will step in, and Aku will realize with absolute horror that even if he defeats her, there will be another to replace her and so forth. He may not even "die", but suffer a fate of being eternally crippled by fear unable to leave his lair else he may die.

Also, am I the only one to think this is a little too thematically identical to not be intentional?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Fionordequester posted:

"But he hasn't even ayyyyyyyged... I mean like at all! He jus' grew that stuuuuupid BEARD...it looks like'll be here FOREVARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! I...I jus' don't know if, I can HANDLE that, eh..."

"Yessss. It's seemzat the initial, time travel, hazaffected, the ayyyyyyyging process... It's quiiite the conundrummm"

I don't know about you, but I was laughing so hard throughout that entire therapist scene. Everything about it was perfect, from the sheer zaniness of Aku talking to himself, the way Baldwin was speaking in such a slow, exaggerated manner, to the fact that they BOTH sounded the exact same...it was hilarious.

Patient Aku: Well, I just assumed that eventually over time he would just
Both Akus: DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE

Interesting that both Jack and Aku have conversations with themselves.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well we know Ashi's gonna survive since Jack fell too. Her two remaining sisters might live, too, to keep the hunting theme going.

Wanna see a buddy cop episode where Jack is stuck to a ranting Ashi by her scythe-chain somehow and has to pack her around and listen to her insane ranting while going :catstare:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am guessing that Jack gets suckered in to the dark side or dies and gets Aku-Robocopped into the green shogun thing and Ashli will complete Jacks mission, but possibly only after defeating Jack.

Like Jack maybe shows Ashi what life could be like, but then they are captured.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think jack will go back in time and defeats aku, though not neccesarily in that order.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Green/Skull Samurai is weird because even though he has death vibes, he isn't exactly coming after Jack. Just apparently following and waiting for him. Also, it's strange that they specifically pick his color to be green as that can be both a color of sickness or decay, but also natural or regenerative tones as well as even happiness. It could be the warrior Jack thinks he needs to be just waiting for him to find that sword and take up the fight once again. Whenever he shows up, its implying at a duty Jack is not living to. Whether its in pure hallucination as when those children where begging Jack to save them and he was standing on a hill looking down on Jack or he followed him through the woods when Jack knew the daughters were coming for him. He seems more to be the Warrior that needs to smite Aku and save the world from his evil, but has yet to do so.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 27, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I love that although the story *is* simple it's also expressing SO drat MUCH just through the visuals and pacing. This is 100% visual storytelling at its finest.

it's always been what samurai jack was best at, and im glad friggin 15 years hasn't dulled it any

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
The antlered samurai represents his fear of what he might become. It's Jack minus the mission and humanity.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oh and I know their physiques are supposed to be stylized but i cant help but think that Jack was being a hunted by a pack of Dexter's Moms.

Honestly the hunched over fist clenched walk they all were doing was a bit silly looking. Also I feel like tracking down someone as wide ranging as Jack would demand some wilderness training that precludes not being able to identify things like deer, but I guess they got lucky.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tunicate posted:

I think jack will go back in time and defeats aku, though not neccesarily in that order.

I'm hoping that killing Aku in the past will cause the Aku in the future to blow up on the spot, just so that everyone can get their happy ending without people complaining about time travel casualty I don't care if it doesn't make sense.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
My thoughts are that Jack will train Ashi to be his successor, so that he can go back to the past without having to worry about the state of the future.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Reflecting on the latest episode, what's interesting about the Daughters of Aku is that although they're the first human enemies Jack has killed, in a way they're actually less human than many of the foes Jack's vanquished over the years. Just look at Scaramouch from the first episode-even though he's a robot, he expresses a ton of emotion throughout their fight and even shows a bit of fear when he's about to be cut down. The closest the Daughters come to emoting, by contrast, is when they're confused by the deer and when Ashi starts ranting at Jack at the end. They show no fear, no empathy, and are as single-mindedly devoted to their goal as the beetle droids. In a way, they're simply another of Aku's automatons-merely ones made of flesh and blood as opposed to steel and oil.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Caidin posted:

Also I feel like tracking down someone as wide ranging as Jack would demand some wilderness training that precludes not being able to identify things like deer, but I guess they got lucky.

Yeah; I take it they just weren't taught ANYTHING other than how to kill. The only reason they found was because they followed the river he fell in, found some big bright splotches of SAMURAI BLOOD™ scattered about...and then just wandered around until Jack found them. And even then, they took so long doing it that Jack's wound had completely healed. Needless to say, they...were not quite prepared for Jack.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah; I take it they just weren't taught ANYTHING other than how to kill. The only reason they found was because they followed the river he fell in, found some big bright splotches of SAMURAI BLOOD™ scattered about...and then just wandered around until Jack found them. And even then, they took so long doing it that Jack's wound had completely healed. Needless to say, they...were not quite prepared for Jack.

Well. When they got the drop on him, they completely loving wrecked him in a stand-up fight. The problem was they A) didn't finish the job, B) gave him enough time to heal (physically and mentally), and C) were dumb enough to fight him on his turf where he could use the environment to his advantage. It makes sense—raw potential of youth but also brashness. And it was loving brutal when he started the fight by spearing one of them. :stare: I think Jack's slowly piecing back together who he used to be. I mean, firing a warning shot against people trying to murder you is about the best you can do.

I hope Ashi makes it out okay. :ohdear: She's clearly different than the rest of the daughters, but this show so far has been really good at subverting expectations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ashi is listed in the voices section of the credits(along with jack and aku) and not in additional voices(where the frog, the bandits, and the other sisters are in), so i'm sure she's fine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Some of the other daughters were listed in the credits besides Ashi. Avi was one, I've forgotten the other two.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Some of the other daughters were listed in the credits besides Ashi. Avi was one, I've forgotten the other two.

yes. i mentioned that in the post.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Roobanguy posted:

ashi is listed in the voices section of the credits(along with jack and aku) and not in additional voices(where the frog, the bandits, and the other sisters are in), so i'm sure she's fine.

I hope so. I want to see her make the hero's journey, she seems like a good kid.

Ish.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Siamang posted:

The antlered samurai represents his fear of what he might become. It's Jack minus the mission and humanity.

My guess is that the only way to really defeat Aku is for jack to use the sword to absorb him Diablo one style. Jack sr. defeats Aku with the same sword but only sealed him. Jack didn't "lose" his sword, he walked away for fear he couldn't shoulder the burden. I'm really hoping jack dies and Aki is his successor doesn't pan out. I'd like jack to defeat Aku present or past and walk off into the sunset. Hopefully all of the grim dark is just to hammer home a redemption arc like in the Aku infection.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I hope so. I want to see her make the hero's journey, she seems like a good kid.

Ish.

Nah, I'd call her good...as good as a person can be when raised to be a violent child-soldier all their life, at any rate

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

Looking back at it now, Ashi and Avi were Tara Strong, Ami and Aki were Kari Wahlgren. Phil LaMarr is also listed as the frog.

NewMars posted:

My thoughts are that Jack will train Ashi to be his successor, so that he can go back to the past without having to worry about the state of the future.

This is my thought, too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chairman Capone posted:

Phil LaMarr is also listed as the frog.

If I were an actor I'd like this on my resume.

Alternatively, I'd demand billing as "AND STARRING PHIL LAMARR AS: THE FROG"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

I mean, heck, they didn't even kill off the wolf! This show may be a bit darker and grittier, but not nearly as much as other reboots. I've a feeling Jack'll be fine.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did anyone feel this episode kiiiiiinda pushed the limits of Jack's own abilities? Takes a knife to the gut, bleeds while going down a river for who knows how long, takes the knife out, waits a while before doing a hasty, primitive stitch job, and then fought six well-trained ladies in the snow in his underwear.

It does imply that time had passed since then with his wound having healed, but...it didn't seem like the assassins took long to find him? I'll to watch it again, the snow was probably meant to imply that months had passed.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It does imply that time had passed since then with his wound having healed, but...it didn't seem like the assassins took long to find him? I'll to watch it again, the snow was probably meant to imply that months had passed.

Well, it's like I said :cheeky: ...

quote:

Like, yeah, they almost killed Jack when they caught him in a surprise attack. They can fight real good, and have at least rudimentary knowledge of assassinations and stealth...but that's it. They're like the equivalent of that World of Warcraft player who specced ALL their points into one skill tree; they do ONE thing really well, but just can't accomplish anything without the other missing pieces.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Did anyone feel this episode kiiiiiinda pushed the limits of Jack's own abilities? Takes a knife to the gut, bleeds while going down a river for who knows how long, takes the knife out, waits a while before doing a hasty, primitive stitch job, and then fought six well-trained ladies in the snow in his underwear.

I'd guess they had to take the slow and steady route to thoroughly scan the entire course of the river for him (or better yet for them, his corpse), since they had no loving idea where he might've washed up at. I don't know if it'd take months, but it might not be a stretch for it to have been something like a week or two? :shrug: I mean, the wound looked like it was still pretty raw when they finally caught up with him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Ish.

Just before her rehabilitation is complete, the wolf will pop out and kill her. :twisted:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It looked like the main thing keeping the Daughters from catching up was clearing away all the debris that had trapped them inside the crypt. They aren't exactly equipped for heavy construction work, so I can see how that might take them a few weeks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ehh, I mean, I could see it taking them something like a day or two to sift through the rubble to find their dead sister, since Jack (seemingly) only blew up that passageway, not the entire drat mountainside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nude posted:

Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

He's heading for the temple beyond the Horseman. It appears in the duration of the shot, above him in the mist.

• Locked thread