Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I think the map would be better if just hitting a direction on the d-pad launched the jump. Having to hold the direction and then press jump is just too much to ask in a panic and the whole process feels sluggish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to check, how many hours until the next one? We just had daylight savings in Britain

e: ok pretty sure it's 4

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yo, squiddy... still alive?

i like the death laser its like im in ace combat

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New loss music really is so much better

Gettin The Reef way more times than the other one. Classic Splatoon issue persists

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Having played with it some more, I think the Stingray is my favorite of the new Specials. You can use it from relative safety and it has monstrous range, and in general, I think it's just an improved version of Killer Wail. As of the Testfire, I can pretty consistently get one or two kills from it, usually through walls and from an outrageous distance. I imagine that'll change when I'm actually playing with properly matched players, though. I'm probably gonna stick with the basic splat charger kit (again) when the game comes out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm bad at chargers but the Stingray is pretty fuckin awesome

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I take back what I said about the Tenta Missiles. Managed to get the hang of them after a few matches of trying, and found the best way to use them; Super-Jump back to the Spawn first so you can lock onto every goddamn thing in the map :unsmigghh:.

The best part of Splatoon 2 though? Nintendo took that general belief that hiding in ink made your tank recharge faster and actually put it in the game :allears:.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

I think the map would be better if just hitting a direction on the d-pad launched the jump. Having to hold the direction and then press jump is just too much to ask in a panic and the whole process feels sluggish.
So we all realise that you can motion control in that map to super jump right?

Like you can hold a direction and hit jump, or you can motion your thing over a team mates thing and hit jump to do it as well.

I never bothered super jumping using the former, but did the latter a bunch.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of Splatoon 2 though? Nintendo took that general belief that hiding in ink made your tank recharge faster and actually put it in the game :allears:.

Wasn't this true in the original?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Crawfish posted:

So we all realise that you can motion control in that map to super jump right?

Like you can hold a direction and hit jump, or you can motion your thing over a team mates thing and hit jump to do it as well.

I never bothered super jumping using the former, but did the latter a bunch.

what

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, works so much better than using the D-pad. You don't even have to be that accurate.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This was a key feature of Splatoon 1 how did you fall under the impression it was only a belief

E: do you mean specifically staying still/slow in ink?

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm really confused by this whole thing too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah, works so much better than using the D-pad. You don't even have to be that accurate.

In the original there was a single dedicated "button" to jump to spawn which you could hit without taking your eyes of the action. You now have to press three buttons (or two and aim) while blinding yourself.

It's a significant weakening of the ability. This may be intentional though, or even good. We'll see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

This was a key feature of Splatoon 1 how did you fall under the impression it was only a belief

E: do you mean specifically staying still/slow in ink?

Yes I do. I could've sworn it was debunked at some point as being no different from just running around.

The Bloop posted:

In the original there was a single dedicated "button" to jump to spawn which you could hit without taking your eyes of the action. You now have to press three buttons (or two and aim) while blinding yourself.

It's a significant weakening of the ability. This may be intentional though, or even good. We'll see.

No, it's definitely worse. They should've dropped having to press A to confirm if you select via D-Pad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes I do. I could've sworn it was debunked at some point as being no different from just running around.

Sorry, I had never heard that one. I've never noticed ink recharge change so long as I was in my team's ink.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I wish the multiplayer maps had some of the weird mechanics from single player like the pipes and inflatable sponges. Even just some moving platforms would be cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't recharge ink at all from running around? Huh?

Also jump to spawn thing is a good point but I never did that really so eh. I really do find the aiming with gyroscope very easy.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Did I miss something or do the new maps make some pretty large areas around the spawn points inaccessible to enemy players? I get not wanting to allow players to spawn camp on blowout matches, but it seems like the inaccessible areas are pretty big. I imagine you could fly up into them temporarily with the ink jet, but you'd eventually get pulled back to where you launched it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

You don't recharge ink at all from running around? Huh?

You do but its such a small amount that it only matters when you're completely empty, so you can shoot enough to dive into and recharge faster.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GI_Clutch posted:

Did I miss something or do the new maps make some pretty large areas around the spawn points inaccessible to enemy players? I get not wanting to allow players to spawn camp on blowout matches, but it seems like the inaccessible areas are pretty big. I imagine you could fly up into them temporarily with the ink jet, but you'd eventually get pulled back to where you launched it.

I mean, being on the receiving end of a spawn camp is incredibly frustrating, so I imagine that for a demo they wouldn't have maps where you could do that.

Though I noticed that these maps are not ver vertical in general. There are very few splat-able and thus climbable walls.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

inferis posted:

I wish the multiplayer maps had some of the weird mechanics from single player like the pipes and inflatable sponges. Even just some moving platforms would be cool

I think in one of the trailers I saw a multiplayer map with the "rails" or "ziplines" or whatever where you slide along a stream of ink suspended in the air.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

The Reef has a big inaccessible zone, yeah, but Musselforge actually has a backdoor that gets you almost all the way to enemy spawn:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

inferis posted:

The original trailer for 2 showed maps with those, but they kept the more complicated maps for a later release in the first game. So I would say expert see some eventually.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
A test fire, but instead of shooting we all just customize inklings for an hour.

I'd play.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did they change how sub weapons work in Splatoon 2 or they still ink-based? It's the only real thing I hate about the game. Be it 80%, 90% 95% I never seem to ever have enough ink to use my worthless mine and when I do it doesn't even use that much ink, so what the gently caress?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's ink based, and there's a little line on your tank indicating how much ink you need to use your sub weapon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna continue barely ever using sub weapons due to them bleeding your tank dry tbh

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's ink based, and there's a little line on your tank indicating how much ink you need to use your sub weapon.

That is much more visible now cause in the original I barely noticed it 99% of the time.

and no the sub weapons pack a punch so they're going to be made for limited use.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
In Splatoon 1 there's also a light on top of the tank indicating that you're ready to toss out your sub but I can't recall seeing it in the Splatoon 2 Testfire. Not to say it isn't there, I just didn't notice if it was or was not.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jimbot posted:

Did they change how sub weapons work in Splatoon 2 or they still ink-based? It's the only real thing I hate about the game. Be it 80%, 90% 95% I never seem to ever have enough ink to use my worthless mine and when I do it doesn't even use that much ink, so what the gently caress?

I'm glad it's like this since I'm annoyed by grenades enough already.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey charger squids, did the base model from the test fire feel more like the squiffer to you?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

yes it did.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey charger squids, did the base model from the test fire feel more like the squiffer to you?

It looked like one, but it felt like a regular splat charger, in my opinion. Definitely not squiffer range or charge time.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna continue barely ever using sub weapons due to them bleeding your tank dry tbh

Suction Bombs own, at least in Ranked.. Really useful in Tower Control and also for breaking the Rainmaker's shield.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Deltron 3030 posted:

Suction Bombs own, at least in Ranked.. Really useful in Tower Control and also for breaking the Rainmaker's shield.

I was always a fan of the rovers that you could send down a lane and just swim in their wake. I didn't get a chance to play testfire over the weekend but I hope the curling bombs are remotely as good, though I imagine they must be slower to account for the bouncing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nephzinho posted:

I was always a fan of the rovers that you could send down a lane and just swim in their wake. I didn't get a chance to play testfire over the weekend but I hope the curling bombs are remotely as good, though I imagine they must be slower to account for the bouncing.

They seemed to move at around the same speed to me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

The speed is fine, they absolutely move fast enough to swim behind. Instead, their tradeoffs relative to the old seekers are (1) they don't home in, and (2) their explosion is timer-based rather than contact-based.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

The speed is fine, they absolutely move fast enough to swim behind. Instead, their tradeoffs relative to the old seekers are (1) they don't home in, and (2) their explosion is timer-based rather than contact-based.

But in other ways they're better than seekers because they will go in a straight line (or predictable bank shot) rather than veering off to follow someone.

For added utility, those two maps had a number of great spots to bank one off and clear out a nest in a little "room" where people liked to lurk.

I think it's an even tradeoff. I'm imagining a bomb rush of curling bombs being like green shells in Mario Kart making a deathzone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hmm the Curling Bombs don't blow up on contact with an enemy? I knew there was a timer element but kinda figured it was contact and timer, whichever comes first.

• Locked thread