Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I still just want them to be gnolls

grassy gnolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the evidence shows that player johnfuckboykennedy69 was killed by a single arrow fired by the lone centaur, passing through both the player and his summon.

critics of this theory call it the "magic-arrow" theory in their condescension of the low likelihood of a centaur finding and equipping Piercer, the only launcher with the penetration ego, but back in the 60s ammo still had egos independent of brand

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

the evidence shows that player johnfuckboykennedy69 was killed by a single arrow fired by the lone centaur, passing through both the player and his summon.

critics of this theory call it the "magic-arrow" theory in their condescension of the low likelihood of a centaur finding and equipping Piercer, the only launcher with the penetration ego, but back in the 60s ammo still had egos independent of brand

thank you this is everything I could have hoped for and more

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

hey, i just found out, that halflings are good

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The scary part is they used to be better.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

tote up a bags posted:

hey, i just found out, that halflings are good

Their name doesn't do them justice in terms of how drat tanky they can be:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-738-gb057e68 (webtiles) character file.

1710954 bananaken the Acrobat (level 27, 204/204 HPs)
             Began as a Halfling Hunter on Feb 23, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Feb 24, 2017!

The game lasted 05:39:28 (68498 turns).

bananaken the Acrobat (Halfling Hunter)            Turns: 68498, Time: 05:39:28

Health: 204/204    AC: 40    Str: 19    XL:     27
Magic:  33/35      EV: 42    Int: 24    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4104       SH: 26    Dex: 34    Spells: 14/26 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   a - +8 autumn katana {slice, Clar}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   h - +10 scale mail of the Shining Light {Dex+3 Slay+3}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   X - +4 shield {AC+3}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   U - +1 helmet of Cycoin {+Inv MR+ Int+8 Stlth-}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   J - +2 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   A - +2 pair of gloves of the Wheelwright {rF++ Int+4}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   e - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    ..........             g - +3 amulet of reflection
Regen    0.5/turn               l - +5 ring of evasion
MPRegen  0.3/turn               T - ring "Nishy" {rPois rF+ rC+ Int+3 Dex+4}

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbf +10 scale is really unusually good. but yeah, they're a fun solid melee choice

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Speaking of, is there any reason to ever take slings past 14? Isn't that mindelay for all of them?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Drain buffer.

Also Grassy Gnolls

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

It's the player's fault for moving back and to the left instead of blinking.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tote up a bags posted:

Speaking of, is there any reason to ever take slings past 14? Isn't that mindelay for all of them?

Increasing your weapon skill past min delay still increases your damage by a noticeable amount. It just becomes more competitive with other skill choices.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Taking weapon skills from 14 to 27 doesn't​have any stepdown like spellpower. In theory, your damage and accuracy it is twice as good. In practice, the skill bonus multiplier also involves die rolls and fighting skill, so it isn't that extreme. If you were a one-handed Berserker, it would still be a good investment at least till 20 or so (taking into account prioritizing your main weapon and defense and such of course), but true Berserkers only use giant fuckoff axes :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Worth noting that fighting will also increase your damage substantially while also increasing your max HP and being the overall best skill in the game

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, fighting is really important and should probably be the the 2nd skill you start raising after you've got some levels on your weapon/magic skill.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I finally have a HaBe (I've had a harder time than I'd thought) off the ground, one rune in, lair done, etc, and can't figure out mid game weapons. I'm going sword and board and so far have:

the +7 long sword "Ubeoz" (weapon) {protect, Str+6} (currently using)
the +10 zealot's sword {holy, *Rage rN+ EV+3}
a +2 eudemon blade of holy wrath
a +2 long sword of flaming (for hydras)
a +4 scimitar (saving for brand?)

I've been using the +7 long sword for the protect brand for most of the game, but I have two eudemon blade sitting here. I worry about the *Rage on the zealot's sword, otherwise I'd be using that all the time. I only have 1 enchant weapon scroll too. But I also have two Brand Weapon scrolls that I had been saving in case I got a demon blade (not into Depths yet). Trog has gifted me a few AM longswords, but mostly he's been gifting me slings/crossbows. So I haven't hit the Trog jackpot yet. Not sure what to do here to get some extra punch for my second/third rune.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i propose that we name them Horny Gay Erection Gnolls

the abbreviation can be HGEG

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i propose that we name them Horny Gay Erection Gnolls

the abbreviation can be HGEG
please don't doxx me like this

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

High Elf. This is not a joke, you just have to replace the scent thing! It'd be perfect!!

Don't listen to Ferrinus. It's critically important you name them Gnolls of some kind.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tote up a bags posted:

I once cleared out hellion island using an old-fashioned sling and 27 in the skill. It does its job just fine.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Rename gnolls to high elves, nobody likes gnolls anyway

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

Rename gnolls to high elves, nobody likes gnolls anyway

only if they give them long blades instead of halberds

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I like the dog theme Cynos have. As a compromise, call them Sylvan Pups.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They should be dog themed (whether that be Cynos, Anubises, or Dog Elves) so there can be a vault where one fights to the death with a Felid

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I feel this is a really significant post. Maybe if they added gear gifting to Wu Jian and turned Heaven on Earth into a haste but the word "haste" was in Chinese it would be well received.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

only if they give them long blades instead of halberds

Rename gnolls to High Elves, replace gnoll halberds with long blades, give ogres halberds and glaives, remove giant clubs and giant spiked clubs, everyone's happy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bring back old Ogres as a separate race. Name current ogres Ogre Dwarves and old ogres Ogre Elves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

Rename gnolls to High Elves, replace gnoll halberds with long blades, give ogres halberds and glaives, remove giant clubs and giant spiked clubs, everyone's happy

Give GSC to kobold

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

new race: permanent dancing GSC. -4 maces and flails apt.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I mean, ogre and ogre mage already used to be separate races.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Give Ogres their M&F back but change giant spiked clubs to also have spikes on the handle so you taken damage every turn you hit something

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Make a L6 Transmutation spell that temporarily grants you the ability to wield a GSC, but it uses your Spellcasting and Transmutation skills for the purposes of weapon accuracy/damage/delay.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

redneck nazgul posted:

Make a L6 Transmutation spell that temporarily grants you the ability to wield a GSC, but it uses your Spellcasting and Transmutation skills for the purposes of weapon accuracy/damage/delay.

Some sort of magic weapon spell that did that would be cool

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Some sort of magic weapon spell that did that would be cool

No, because Charms already has too many powerful spells and we want to encourage players to explore other options.

Besides, how can magic help you lift a big rear end heavy club and swing it faster? You just need to become more swole, albeit temporarily because magical swoleness can't last forever.

Also, there's very little risk of malmutates from Charms miscasts and we want to make sure that magically wielding a GSC is a "high-risk/high-reward" strategy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
High Elf form, which recalculates your skills, abilities, and xl as if you were a high elf for the duration of the spell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm having trouble getting an Ogre off the ground. I'm doing it in 0.19 because I want to get a big smashy one ascended before whatever the gently caress is going on in trunk becomes locked in. Any tips? I've been starting as an OgHu for the large stones, picking up the biggest M&F I can find, and trying to go Oka. My best attempts have died before reaching Lair.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Fedhas or Trog. Okawaru's armor gifts are tempting, but you've gotta stay alive to get them.

Or if you want to stay okawaru, make it a low priority of yours to get either around 3 stealth skill or enter a sewer and get a blowgun. Poison needles are the crutch that gets my ogres through to lair, where I usually end up ditching them for curare.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arivia posted:

I'm having trouble getting an Ogre off the ground. I'm doing it in 0.19 because I want to get a big smashy one ascended before whatever the gently caress is going on in trunk becomes locked in. Any tips? I've been starting as an OgHu for the large stones, picking up the biggest M&F I can find, and trying to go Oka. My best attempts have died before reaching Lair.
Worship Gozag, keep asking for armour shops till you get a heavy dragon armour. After that use Gozag's potion petition before a nasty battle to get the benefit of multiple buff potions. Don't rely on them for healing or you will eventually be disappointed.

On surviving long enough for that to matter, only train maces till it is at 12 then do maces and fighting only till you get a dragon armour at which point pump the hell out of Armour skill. At 12 maces you can use a GC reliably enough you should glue one to your hand.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 28, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I haven't played in a few years (excepting a quickly-splatted HeWz three months back) and I'd appreciate some advice on what order I should be clearing things now that the branches have been changed a bit. (For reference, I stopped playing around the time the Dungeon was condensed - I have a vague recollection that the Depths is basically the lower Dungeon but smashed into fewer levels?) Gear obviously affects things, but what's the common wisdom on order of branches? Dungeon -> Lair -> more Dungeon for a while -> Orc (not 4, or is there even a 4?) -> ?

I have Shoals, Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Slime available and have cleared all 15 floors of the Dungeon. I feel pretty powerful, running a MiBe at XL 15, using a +8 Battleaxe of Venom (or a Randard +0 Battleaxe with Chop and evokable fly and blink). I have mottled dragon armor, a +5 slaying ring, and the most ridiculous set of mutations (rPois, rElec, two kinds of scales, sharp teeth, robust, strong). Not much in the way of resists on gear, though.

(And I need to decide whether to keep rocking my Amulet of Faith or go for Regen or a Randart with rage and sInv)

Dump is http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Arcturas/Arcturas.txt

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

High Elf form, which recalculates your skills, abilities, and xl as if you were a high elf for the duration of the spell.

And the duration of the spell is (spellpower/10)*100,000 turns.

Finally won DsSu on my 72nd try:
code:
2235102 araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 274/274 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Summoner on Mar 25, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Wu Jian.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Mar 27, 2017!
             The game lasted 06:27:31 (81156 turns).

araganzar the Slayer (Demonspawn Summoner)         Turns: 81156, Time: 06:27:32
Health: 274/274    AC: 39    Str: 21    XL:     27
Magic:  27/39      EV: 38    Int: 20    God:    Wu Jian [******]
Gold:   3046       SH:  0    Dex: 36    Spells: 0/50 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +5 pair of quick blades "Gyre" and "Gimble" {pierce, Dex-3}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   Y - +7 fire dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   L - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   u - +0 cloak of Modesty {rC+ rCorr}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   e - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   (boots unavailable)
Stlth    ..........             O - necklace of Bloodlust {*Rage +Rage MR++ Int-3 Slay+6 *Curse}
Regen    1.0/turn               V - ring of Robustness {AC+8}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               P - ring "Gody" {rC+ rN++ Dex+10 Stlth-}
This DsSu had the worst muts - hooves, thin skeleton, late spikes, but I got Gyre and Gimble in a shop in early D. They were pretty ridiculous with the lunge and whirlwind attacks. I did a whirlwind where I hit one death yak eight times, killing it in one move. Also made Black Mark almost seem like a useful power as it would fire once or twice per martial move. Got clarity late which let me wear bloodlust for slay+6. Throwing nets for the orb run and win.

I've won a few wanderers with the council god and I have to say I like it a lot except with axes or polearms. Very strong with stabbers - would be a really good god for kobolds and halflings. Would like to see some interaction with spectral weapon on the moves, maybe a single spec weapon attack so it's worth casting.

Also won DsAe so that completes Greater Demonspawn. Had claws 3, statue form, ignite blood, and heroism/finesse and I still almost splatted him. Had Confusing Touch up and an OOF comes around the corner. Well, turns out since it's magic immune confusing touch won't just not work, it will NEVER GO OFF and won't wear off until it times out. Had to quaff cancellation, lost all my buffs, almost died.

Kids, confusing touch is amazingly good, best first level spell, but don't use it against an orb of fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arcturas posted:

So I haven't played in a few years (excepting a quickly-splatted HeWz three months back) and I'd appreciate some advice on what order I should be clearing things now that the branches have been changed a bit. (For reference, I stopped playing around the time the Dungeon was condensed - I have a vague recollection that the Depths is basically the lower Dungeon but smashed into fewer levels?) Gear obviously affects things, but what's the common wisdom on order of branches? Dungeon -> Lair -> more Dungeon for a while -> Orc (not 4, or is there even a 4?) -> ?

I have Shoals, Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Slime available and have cleared all 15 floors of the Dungeon. I feel pretty powerful, running a MiBe at XL 15, using a +8 Battleaxe of Venom (or a Randard +0 Battleaxe with Chop and evokable fly and blink). I have mottled dragon armor, a +5 slaying ring, and the most ridiculous set of mutations (rPois, rElec, two kinds of scales, sharp teeth, robust, strong). Not much in the way of resists on gear, though.

(And I need to decide whether to keep rocking my Amulet of Faith or go for Regen or a Randart with rage and sInv)

Dump is http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Arcturas/Arcturas.txt

Faith is better than regen, broadly speaking, and rage is redundant on a berserker.

general branch order is d1 to 11->lair->either d12-15 or orc, then the other one->lair branches->vaults 1 to 4->depths->vaults 5 or slime->zot->win
you can also delay the last floor of lair branches(4th) and do some depths if you really want some XP for it, but I rarely think it's important.

I am surprised to see you wearing mottled dragon armor on a character who does not care for spells. Is there any enchanted chain/plate lying around?
drop the weapons besides the +8 battleaxe and the executioner's axe, and grab a dire flail or great mace to kill hydras if you get swamp. read your unknown scrolls. Your skills are fine.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread