Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

OUR COUNTRY AS TRAITORS AND TYRANTS WOULD HAVE IT

or

MAP OF THE DISUNITED STATES (1864)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Desert

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Every other rebel group is named but the Syrian opposition is just "disputed."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's not the same when it's not called Arab Shia State (and Saudi Homelands Independent Territory).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm Palestine, or the lack thereof

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Elyv posted:

I'm Palestine, or the lack thereof

I'm sorry

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

That's purestrain George Friedman. I read his site regularly and never fail to be entertained.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

or

Why is West Virginia part of the Confederate States? The whole reason they seceded from Virginia is that they didnt want to join the Confederacy. :cryingWV:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Communist Zombie posted:

Why is West Virginia part of the Confederate States? The whole reason they seceded from Virginia is that they didnt want to join the Confederacy. :cryingWV:

I mean so is DC, so...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Touhou militia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

Every other rebel group is named but the Syrian opposition is just "disputed."

Probably because there's no single opposition and the opposition territory keeps getting reorganized often on a virtually daily basis depending on how particular alliances rise and crumble into infighting.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ormi posted:

That's purestrain George Friedman. I read his site regularly and never fail to be entertained.

Does he still think war with Japan is coming?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Communist Zombie posted:

I think the idea of the map is "If The South Wins" so they'd take back West Virginia and also Maryland and Delaware which were considered part of the old South before the war.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Probably because there's no single opposition and the opposition territory keeps getting reorganized often on a virtually daily basis depending on how particular alliances rise and crumble into infighting.

Yeah, since Aleppo went tits up, there hasn't really been a coherent Syrian opposition besides Rojava (which has dropped most of its Kurdish nationalist trappings and rebranded itself as the "Federation of Northern Syria," btw), ISIS, and whatever Al-Nusra is calling itself this week. The Free Syrian Army was always more of an umbrella term for a bunch of loosely aligned pro-democracy(ish) groups that didn't fit with any of the preceding blocs and and often couldn't even get along with each other. Many of them have been wiped out or absorbed by bigger rebel groups and many of the ones that are left are essentially just independent local militias or puffed-up proxies for the US, Turkey, Iran, the Gulf States, Russia, or whoever else.

Mister Olympus posted:

This is like Moonlight where it's pretty much just a big city movie except for Florida, where it's popular because it's set in Florida.

There's absolutely a cultural/demographic element to these maps but drat if the obvious lesson isn't "people like to see where they live in a movie, so the surefire way to gross trillions domestically is to make sure your movie explicitly visits every single county in the US with enough movie theaters"

Incidentally, this is also why the last 10-20 years have seen a dramatic increase in the number of big Hollywood movies that happen to have one or more famous Indian/Chinese/Japanese/European/Latin American actors rounding out the cast. As foreign grosses (and investment) have become more important to the industry and foreign film industries more established, a lot of the industry has shifted to catering to a more explicitly international audience. Casting someone who's famous in Bollywood or Hong Kong might not mean much to an American audience (and their name might not even make it onto the poster), but casting a local favorite in even a small role can still draw big crowds overseas.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

or

The earliest build of Kaiserreich :haw:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The earliest build of Kaiserreich :haw:
:goonsay: Actually, the original 2nd Civil War they had in Kaiserreich didn't use the old North-South divide. Huey Long and the AUS originally has his base of support in only part of the South, along with the Great Plains, while Reed and the Syndicalists were even more Great Lakes-centric and the old US government just hanged on precariously along the east coast:

Then they later changed it so that Long just got control of the Old South and have furiously denied that his thing has anything to do with the Confederate States ever since.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

QuoProQuid posted:

or

The title is kind of a funny own of Putin and his governments' making of similar maps.

Except I guess in private he would just shrug and go, "yeah I'm a tyrant, so what".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

What's wrong with your face?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

:goonsay: Actually, the original 2nd Civil War they had in Kaiserreich didn't use the old North-South divide. Huey Long and the AUS originally has his base of support in only part of the South, along with the Great Plains, while Reed and the Syndicalists were even more Great Lakes-centric and the old US government just hanged on precariously along the east coast:

Then they later changed it so that Long just got control of the Old South and have furiously denied that his thing has anything to do with the Confederate States ever since.

I thought it was explicitly a joke on how the CSA is the North, the American Union State is the South, and the federal government is the west. And for balance reasons.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ofaloaf posted:

iirc, the confederacy is explicitly not in kaiserreich because the mod makers were tired of the "south will rise again" cliche.

i get the motivation, but it has always seemed like a weird design decision. same with a lot of the american civil war events, which seem to boomerang between "somewhat plausible" and "absolutely bonkers but fun gameplay."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

iirc, the confederacy is explicitly not in kaiserreich because the mod makers were tired of the "south will rise again" cliche.
I mean, there were veterans of the Civil War still alive in 1936. The Confederacy was in living memory, so it's not like the inclusion of a potential 2nd Confederate States rising up seems like a farfetched thing only used because of cliches. The Kaiserreich Devs ended up adding in a ConFederated States of America anyways, which is drat nearly the same thing except for the name because of that weird aversion.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Does Singapore also count as a single municipality, or is it technically split into several cities or anything like that?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ofaloaf posted:

Does Singapore also count as a single municipality, or is it technically split into several cities or anything like that?

Depends who you ask.

They have/had this big "self-contained communities" concept going, and the island is actually fairly sizable and not completely urbanised.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If the US dissolved right now there'd be a new Confederacy within a week, like hell there wouldn't be in 1936.

The Kingfish Confederacy would be a good title, look for my six-book series coming 2018.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

% of population in urban areas, 2015

e: what's going on in Guyana :psyduck:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

% of population in urban areas, 2015

e: what's going on in Guyana :psyduck:

It's largest city is more of a big town than anything. It's an anglophone country if that clears it up. And the french part is only orange because it's a core territory of France and so share's it's color. The French and English settlements in south-america were pretty much just Caribbean trading posts.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Schizotek posted:

It's largest city is more of a big town than anything. It's an anglophone country if that clears it up. And the french part is only orange because it's a core territory of France and so share's it's color. The French and English settlements in south-america were pretty much just Caribbean trading posts.

French Guiana has a different shade compared to France proper.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

khwarezm posted:

French Guiana has a different shade compared to France proper.

gently caress your right. Forgot Suriname existed. I dunno then because none of those places have anything that could be considered urban. The entire regions population barely cracks a million.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Urban' in this case is generally defined as a concentration of people that meets certain criteria, it doesn't have to be a huge number or what people would consider to be a proper city.

Even with that in mind, I am surprised at North America.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

icantfindaname posted:

Does he still think war with Japan is coming?

He's quietly dropped that, but still "analyzes" Japan as well on its way to resuming its imperial geopolitical ambitions. The Neo-Ottoman thing, as you can imagine, gets most of his attention these days

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ofaloaf posted:

I mean, there were veterans of the Civil War still alive in 1936. The Confederacy was in living memory, so it's not like the inclusion of a potential 2nd Confederate States rising up seems like a farfetched thing only used because of cliches. The Kaiserreich Devs ended up adding in a ConFederated States of America anyways, which is drat nearly the same thing except for the name because of that weird aversion.

My very much alive grandmother is a granddaughter of a veteran of the Army of Northern Virginia. So I'm as far from her as she is from the Civil War.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Schizotek posted:

gently caress your right. Forgot Suriname existed. I dunno then because none of those places have anything that could be considered urban. The entire regions population barely cracks a million.

Take a look at these places on google maps and you'll see that there are just a few settlements on the water's edge and the rest is just massive undeveloped jungle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

'Urban' in this case is generally defined as a concentration of people that meets certain criteria, it doesn't have to be a huge number or what people would consider to be a proper city.

Even with that in mind, I am surprised at North America.

For the US, about 50% of the population lives in about 2.5% of the land area, and then another 31% lives in the next 2.5%. The remaining 95% of the land area contains just 19% of the population.

On this map, you get the first 50% of the population on the 2 bottom colors more or less, 2500-5000 and >5000 per square mile. 1000-2500 and the upper edge of 500-1000 provides the next 31%, if you include all of 500-1000 then you get something like the next 40% instead from the extra area covered.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I was pretty surprised at Mongolia because their population density is so low as a whole, so that probably means that there are huge swaths of the country with literally no one living in them.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Elyv posted:

I was pretty surprised at Mongolia because their population density is so low as a whole, so that probably means that there are huge swaths of the country with literally no one living in them.

Ulaanbaatar, their only city, has more than 50% of the countries population. They still have a sizeable nomad population, about 25% I think? Rapidly shrinking and its been a few years since I looked, but yeah. Nomad pastoralist population density numbers are only slightly higher than the Indian oceans population density.

e: Check out Baruun-Urt on satellite. It's pretty typical of towns outside of Ulaanbaatar and those Soviet built mining towns up north. Most of the houses are those weird tent plots because most of the population are still semi-nomadic.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 28, 2017

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

fishmech posted:

For the US, about 50% of the population lives in about 2.5% of the land area, and then another 31% lives in the next 2.5%. The remaining 95% of the land area contains just 19% of the population.

On this map, you get the first 50% of the population on the 2 bottom colors more or less, 2500-5000 and >5000 per square mile. 1000-2500 and the upper edge of 500-1000 provides the next 31%, if you include all of 500-1000 then you get something like the next 40% instead from the extra area covered.

I'm just wondering, what would those stats be if Alaska wasn't included at all, neither its land or population?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Elyv posted:

A lot of Mongolia is not very hospitable.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My very much alive grandmother is a granddaughter of a veteran of the Army of Northern Virginia. So I'm as far from her as she is from the Civil War.

Actually you're as far from her as she was from the civil war.