Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think Maro's gone on record saying that they only use one or the other within a block because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Huh, 'whenever you cycle or discard' plays interestingly with some of the dumber Madness cards like Broken Concentration.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mossyfisk posted:

Huh, 'whenever you cycle or discard' plays interestingly with some of the dumber Madness cards like Broken Concentration.

It's redundant because cycling discards anyway, but sometimes you have to spell that sort of thing out so the effect makes sense.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I have a question about the wording on Glorybringer, it says you may Exert it as it attacks rather than whenever it attacks, could I say for example Exert in response to Avacyn's etb trigger?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I've missed -1/-1 counters

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I see they've decided to go the "all our planeswalker deck PWs are going to be garbage" route

GoutPatrol posted:

Other things it could be:
Sac at end of turn.
Put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Returns to your hand at end of combat.

Putting a -1/-1 counter on something you Exert would be pretty similar to the LotR TCG exert mechanic. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you.

Willeh posted:

Can't wait to confuse +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in limited :toot:

jesus, give them *some* credit

Siivola posted:

I think Maro's gone on record saying that they only use one or the other within a block because of that.

He has.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

goth smoking cloves posted:

I have a question about the wording on Glorybringer, it says you may Exert it as it attacks rather than whenever it attacks, could I say for example Exert in response to Avacyn's etb trigger?

rofl who the gently caress knows what exerting even is

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheChirurgeon posted:

I see they've decided to go the "all our planeswalker deck PWs are going to be garbage" route

I mean, that was the stated goal from the beginning.

MaRo posted:

These cards are being designed to be fun and flavorful but not pushed for tournament play. The idea is we want new players to be excited by them and for them to have a big impact on the game, but we don't want established players to feel obligated to buy the Planeswalker Decks. As a default, the planeswalkers will be expensive to cast and splashy.

I think "fun", "flavorful", "not pushed for tournament play" and "expensive to cast and splashy" all that close to one another is as close as a WotC employee will ever get to saying "trash for people who post on internet forums about magic the gathering"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boxman posted:

The intro deck PWs are always garbage...

Also a 4/4 flying haste for 5 is good even if that was all the text.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

rofl who the gently caress knows what exerting even is

The question was about the wordering of as this attacks rather than whenever this attacks it shouldn't matter what exert actually means.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

The intro deck PWs are always garbage...

Also a 4/4 flying haste for 5 is good even if that was all the text.

Stormbreath dragon showed that this is indeed the case. The pro white and monsterous helped, but it also doesn't appear to be a mythic which is fine by me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Boxman posted:

I think "fun", "flavorful", "not pushed for tournament play" and "expensive to cast and splashy" all that close to one another is as close as a WotC employee will ever get to saying "trash for people who post on internet forums about magic the gathering"

fair enough. I guess I was hoping for something closer to "good, but not standard playable" rather than "total jank" though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Stormbreath dragon showed that this is indeed the case. The pro white and monsterous helped, but it also doesn't appear to be a mythic which is fine by me.

And Strombreath was good even with Heroes Downfall in the format.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Alternatively, the answer is making the preconstructed decks not have high-dollar chase cards so new players can find and pay for them at retail. Imagine if Mind vs. Might had Ancestral Visions in it. It would be a fifty-dollar Duel Deck.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

TheChirurgeon posted:

fair enough. I guess I was hoping for something closer to "good, but not standard playable" rather than "total jank" though

They want to avoid accidentally printing a constructed-playable card in them because they don't want a run on the decks by tournament players making the intro product inaccessible to new players and the cost of that planeswalker skyrocket. With regards to that concern, it's better to err on the side of making them completely unplayable than risk something that could be in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

If they do it that way, they are accidentally going to make one of the walkers playable and it won't end up in the hands of their target customer. About any time they pack value into these starter sets stores and spikes will simply crack them for value.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

The line between those is pretty thin sometimes and if they cross it with intro deck exclusive cards the price will explode and everyone will be pissed off about it, casuals and tournament goers alike.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And Strombreath was good even with Heroes Downfall in the format.

As it turns out, a threat is still the side you want to be one even with good answers. Haste with evasion is also good against planeswalkers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goth smoking cloves posted:

The question was about the wordering of as this attacks rather than whenever this attacks it shouldn't matter what exert actually means.

Normally the "as..." wording instead of "when..." wording means it's not a triggered ability and doesn't use the stack, it just happens at the same time as the thing that makes it happen. I don't think that's what's happening here, though, since it doesn't make much sense for an ability that doesn't use the stack to "target", and it would be really weird if they didn't give the opponent a chance to respond with Giant Growth effects.

It seems more likely to me that the word "target" forces it to use the stack, and the "as" wording makes the exerting happen "as a cost", i.e. it exerts when the ability goes on the stack instead of when the ability resolves. I think if it said "When" you could target a creature and put the trigger on the stack, and then when the opponent played Giant Growth you could go "okay in that case I choose not to exert." Not sure though?

Attorney at Funk posted:

I bet exert is like Monstrosity but with a single -1/-1 counter instead of some number of +1/+1 counters.

This is my guess too.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 27, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Flame Lash was almost there, incidentally (a few early red decks were playing a copy or two just to get a critical density of burn spells). It's also still more expensive than some actually-played-in-standard rares like Pia and Depala.

e:^ The exert happens immediately, as you declare attackers. Then there's a separate triggered ability ("when you do...") that has a target and actually deals the damage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

With cycling back, it would be a good bet to buy your living ends today if you were on the fence about buying them to play with. It will have an obvious target on its back for mtgfinance mouth breathers shortly.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

e:^ The exert happens immediately, as you declare attackers. Then there's a separate triggered ability ("when you do...") that has a target and actually deals the damage.

That makes a lot of sense, and it also explains "When you do" rather than the more common "If you do" templating.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

I like how Stormbreath shows up in Modern more than Thundermaw Hellkite, just because the only 1 mana spell to kill it is Dismember.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

If they do it that way, they are accidentally going to make one of the walkers playable and it won't end up in the hands of their target customer. About any time they pack value into these starter sets stores and spikes will simply crack them for value.

It never seemed like the starter product was scarce enough to prevent non-spikes from buying them just because they had chase cards. Thragtusk's price was kept in check for a long time thanks to its availability in a tournament precon.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheChirurgeon posted:

It never seemed like the starter product was scarce enough to prevent non-spikes from buying them just because they had chase cards. Thragtusk's price was kept in check for a long time thanks to its availability in a tournament precon.

It happened exactly once with True Name Nemesis and WotC has been terrified ever since.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Do you not understand the value of a unique card being printed in the deck as opposed to a reprint of an already existing card?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It happened exactly once with True Name Nemesis and WotC has been terrified ever since.

Jitte

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I thought it also happened with Scavenging Ooze before that, before anybody knew it'd be printed into a core set.

Also wasn't Flusterstorm also in that deck?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Baleful Strix was verging on being a real money card for a while when it got printed in a Planechase deck and turned out to be good enough for Legacy. Luckily it got reprinted in a bunch of Commander stuff and Eternal Masters. (lol that they bumped it up to rare in EM)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I don't like the planeswalker decks because they're intentionally terrible but advertised as something that new players can bring to FNM and every time someone has showed up with one they inevitably get horribly curb stomped. The BW Tokens modern event deck or the GB sacrifice standard event deck from about a year ago are pretty good and they should try to make more precon product like that. The decks aren't great but the cards inside aren't crazy expensive and you'll at least play some real games of magic when you bring them to FNM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL @ Delirium and Cycling in the same standard. Deece.

Exert means it doesn't untap during your next upkeep.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Incoming Street Wraith + RIP reprint

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Incoming Street Wraith + RIP reprint

Swampwalk probably means that it will never see a reprint out of a masters set. This is because WOTC is incompetent and believes one swampwalk creature ruins the flavor of the set.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

A mcmagic post.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ Delirium and Cycling in the same standard. Deece.

I am more aroused by the fact that we might have another dragon matters cycle.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/WLs5YzuMLC.png

WTF

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if cycling for 2 is the best it's gonna get and that there are no 1 mana cyclers in amonkhet

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I wonder if they ever even try out the Intro Decks in FFL. Like, if everyone in R&D had to play with an Intro Deck list in FFL exclusively for at least a week or two, would they be motivated to make them at least decent?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I hope they reprint Astral Slide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for whatever reason the images aren't loading for me in that article so i can't see whatever the embalm card is

• Locked thread