Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inhumans is set to premiere in IMAX theaters on September 1, run exclusively for two weeks, and then the show's meant to come out on TV towards the end of the month.

Also, I watched the first five episodes of Legion this weekend and oh baby that's good TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

zoux posted:

Also, I watched the first five episodes of Legion this weekend and oh baby that's good TV.
Its unreal how good Legion has been. The latest episode was so good it could've been a finale.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Inhumans is set to premiere in IMAX theaters on September 1, run exclusively for two weeks, and then the show's meant to come out on TV towards the end of the month.

Can't wait for an Inhumans' series that only references Attilan and gives us 2 second, flashback/PTSD sequences of Terrigenesis.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

notthegoatseguy posted:

Can't wait for an Inhumans' series that only references Attilan and gives us 2 second, flashback/PTSD sequences of Terrigenesis.

Attilan will be in the show, but expect maybe 3 sets tops. Throne Room and maybe a couple of side locations for conversations. Like Luthor Manor on Smallville, but exponentially worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember it's only eight episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Attilan will be in the show, but expect maybe 3 sets tops. Throne Room and maybe a couple of side locations for conversations. Like Luthor Manor on Smallville, but exponentially worse.

I imagine Attilan will closely resemble the rendered NYC from the Ultimate Spider-man video game.

That is to say, utter poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Marvel have a rep for lovely production values that I'm not aware of?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

I think the complaints are that it is an epic and effects heavy project being done on TV.

However, it is also only 8 episodes, IMAX has kicked in 25% of the shows budget, and they have not released an official budget, but the press releases claim it will be much higher than a regular TV show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

The visual effects in AoS are on occasion, pretty goddamned lovely looking.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ I thought Ghost Rider looked great, and the rest of S4 didn't really need a lot of effects.

zoux posted:

Netflix Iron Fist didn't even show K'un Lun and only showed some stupid red eyes of Shou Lao.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I know, I've just been marathoning a lot of garbage US tv, and all of them have an episode where there are either subtle or overt hints that Christian faith is real and characters go through an arc about that. I want to see the House episode or X-files episode where muslim faith is given that consideration.

One cool thing about Supernatural is how much it goes into the opposite direction. God's such a dick.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

^^^ I thought Ghost Rider looked great, and the rest of S4 didn't really need a lot of effects.

Netflix Iron Fist didn't even show K'un Lun and only showed some stupid red eyes of Shou Lao.

Ghost Rider looked amazing, for the accumulative 3 minutes he was on screen.

Lash on the other hand.... And season 1 Deathlok... ugh...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Season 1 Deathlok is the Smallville-est thing since actual Smallville.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Clearly you never saw Red Tornado on Supergirl

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scyantific posted:

Clearly you never saw Red Tornado on Supergirl

Even Smallville never got that bad.

Unless you count their Green Arrow costume because what in the holy hell was that

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The great thing about the Red Tornado costume was that they actually wasted more effort in making it terrible than if they had just went with a lazier design. And much like Deathlok, it boiled down to a lovely, weird vest thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The entire Deathlok affair is depressing because when we met J August Richards at Wizard World he was telling everyone to get hype because he was about to make the jump into the films.

And he hasn't been seen as Deathlok since.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The entire Deathlok affair is depressing because when we met J August Richards at Wizard World he was telling everyone to get hype because he was about to make the jump into the films.

I wonder what he meant by that because the TV actors seem to know that they'll almost never be in a film at this point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

I wonder what he meant by that because the TV actors seem to know that they'll almost never be in a film at this point.

4 years ago they didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

4 years ago they didn't.

It was more like 2 & 1/2 but Sif showed up on AoS so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Movies can do TV because people saw the movies. Can't do the other way around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when they made a huge deal about that one episode from the first season being an ulta-important tie-in to Thor 2?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-Files and to a lesser* (and greater?) extent, Star Trek TNG both had theatrical films while their TV shows were still on air. So there is precedent for it. Disney simply didn't feel like it. That is literally the only reason it hasn't happened.

*Lesser because IIRC, the movies had nothing to do with the show so it didn't matter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Files was loosely tied to the mythology of the show. Probably to its detriment.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Just watched the Iron Fist episode with the Bride of Nine Spiders . It's really lovely that they wasted her as a random goon instead of leaving her for the chance of doing the Immortal Weapons properly in a later season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

Just watched the Iron Fist episode with the Bride of Nine Spiders . It's really lovely that they wasted her as a random goon instead of leaving her for the chance of doing the Immortal Weapons properly in a later season.

I think it is safe to say that they literally have no plans to do anything more involved than what they did this season. It is a shame that they wasted an opportunity like that, but this entire season seems centered around wasting its own potential. A story arc like that one has a near zero chance of ever being adapted without some kind of major shake up behind the scenes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

X-Files and to a lesser* (and greater?) extent, Star Trek TNG both had theatrical films while their TV shows were still on air. So there is precedent for it. Disney simply didn't feel like it. That is literally the only reason it hasn't happened.

*Lesser because IIRC, the movies had nothing to do with the show so it didn't matter.

Incorrect. TNG ended and they began production on Generations almost immediately. DS9 and Voyager don't count as being the same series but even then, Worf came back and Janeway has a cameo later on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should also be noted that the X-Files and TNG movies were directly related to widely successful TV series, where AoS is a loosely related spin-off of a wildly successful movie franchise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been really tough holding off on Legion given all the rave reviews, but I just caught up and it deserves every word of praise. What's interesting to me is how comic-book it is. I expected it to just use the character names at best but it really does have the kind of surrealistic quality and crazy imagery you'd get in Doom Patrol or some other weird Morrison book. You could really envision some of the scenes as panels very easily.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Legion reminds me of some Warren Ellis actually. The beginning of Planetary specifically iirc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Movies can do TV because people saw the movies. Can't do the other way around.

Remember when they had Rainier Wolfcastle in the Simpsons movie but then someone was like "Oh some people might not know that character, we better make it just Arnold"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Does anyone know when we can expect Blu Rays for Jessica Jones S1, AoS S3, and Agent Carter S2?

If you're wondering why I want to buy physical media for shows I already have access to on Netflix it's because I am a completist and also probably gay or something

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Does anyone know when we can expect Blu Rays for Jessica Jones S1, AoS S3, and Agent Carter S2?

If you're wondering why I want to buy physical media for shows I already have access to on Netflix it's because I am a completist and also probably gay or something

AOS S3 is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Marvels-Agen...gents+of+shield

Agent Carter S2: https://www.amazon.com/Marvels-Agen...ds=agent+carter

I don't know if Jessica Jones will get a Blu-Ray release. Did Daredevil?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know if Jessica Jones will get a Blu-Ray release. Did Daredevil?
For a very short period, yes.
https://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B01M1XQ8F1

I would honestly expect at least some kind of Jessica Jones release but I wouldn't expect it for maybe another 6 monthish. Daredevil S1 was release late last year, about 2 years after it was initially aired, consider a similar release schedule for JJ and the others.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

First look at Cress Williams as Black Lightning

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What was the reason/who started the trend of giving all black superheroes electricity powers?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scyantific posted:

First look at Cress Williams as Black Lightning

That's a pretty good costume for a TV show I have zero interest in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No Sinbad = no deal.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I find it weird that CW is doing a superhero show with the main characters in their mid 40s. That seems really off brand for the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

X-O posted:

I find it weird that CW is doing a superhero show with the main characters in their mid 40s. That seems really off brand for the network.

The Legends are all mostly older in their 30s and such.