Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Also FF12 has free movement so that statement confuses me

Yeah, that's the other thing. Maybe it does have actually turn-based combat but you can move during it or something? Not really sure how that would work, though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Given that they seem like almost entirely different games I wonder if the 3DS version will go for a more traditional scheme and the PS4 one will have an updated one.

Huh, that'd be interesting. I haven't seen much of anything of the 3DS version yet, so I didn't realize how different it was.

EDIT: Okay, here's what I could find. Still not sure what it means, though.

quote:

Both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS releases of Dragon Quest XI will sport a command-based battle system in the vein of previous entries in the series. The two versions of the game, however, will come with some differences: the PlayStation 4 release will use a Free Movement Battle system where players can freely move the character and camera, with an Auto Camera system allowing players to just focus on the battle; the 3DS version, on the other hand, will feature a 2D mode with pixel characters and a 3D mode, which looks not too different from the 3DS remakes of Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII.

Source: https://wccftech.com/dragon-quest-xi-battle-system-detailed-versions-command-based-system/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So maybe closer to FFXIII games where you can technically move around but once you input a move it locks into animation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

So maybe closer to FFXIII games where you can technically move around but once you input a move it locks into animation

That's probably it, though how that works in a turn-based system that isn't ATB I'm not sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Enjoy some kittens https://www.twitch.tv/silverysnowproduction

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well finished Ys Origin on Hard, tempted to try a Nightmare run now it's unlocked but I think I'll just move into something else for now.

E: Oh bleh the PS4 port doesn't unlock the third character or Nightmare just for finishing it once like the Steam version.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After playing Wind Waker HD for a while I'm... getting used to non-inverted Y axis? No, no, that's impossible. It can't be!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Well finished Ys Origin on Hard, tempted to try a Nightmare run now it's unlocked but I think I'll just move into something else for now.

E: Oh bleh the PS4 port doesn't unlock the third character or Nightmare just for finishing it once like the Steam version.

Oh wow that's awful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

After playing Wind Waker HD for a while I'm... getting used to non-inverted Y axis? No, no, that's impossible. It can't be!

Stay strong, brother, it'll be over soon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inverted Y-axis has only ever made sense to me in flight sims for some reason.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I use inevrted for flight sims and fps, but give me a 3rd person shooter and I have to switch to non-inverted. No idea how that works.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The brain is bizarre and complex

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's really easy to switch back to proper Y-axis, and much harder to get used to inverted, because your brain knows the correct way.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh no, somebody mentioned the inverted Y axis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't at all explain why inverted Y axis makes sense to me, but it does. When I go back to playing Horizon I switch back to inverted Y no problem, though. It just feels so much more natural to me.

The best example I read was that you pull your head back to look up and push it forward to look down, but by the same metric, don't you pull it to the right to look left and vice versa? Because I hate inverted X axis. Maybe it's just that I don't think of it that way when I think about moving my head (why do I think about moving my head?).

But that's all I can come up with. The "camera on a tripod" thing made sense until I realized it also implied an inverted X axis.

I even like inverted Y axis in first person, which I'm told is rarer than liking it in third person. The only thing I really can't get used to is switching back and forth, though. I tried inverting the Y axis in first person in Wind Waker (which is the only place it lets you do that) but because I couldn't have it inverted in third person, it felt weird to switch back and forth. (I mostly use gyro aiming anyway but the stick is easier to pan right or left with so sometimes I aim with that anyway.)

I think we can all agree that inverting the Y axis on mouselook is for crazy people, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly can't think of the last FPS I've played on a console so I don't know if I've ever had an opinion on the inverted/non-inverted debate. With 3rd person games I sometimes have to tweak the settings for camera controls but I can never remember which setting is my preference.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I use inverted X-axis :twisted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they should call it the ⅄ axis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I use inverted X-axis :twisted:

:eyepop:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nate RFB posted:

I honestly can't think of the last FPS I've played on a console so I don't know if I've ever had an opinion on the inverted/non-inverted debate. With 3rd person games I sometimes have to tweak the settings for camera controls but I can never remember which setting is my preference.

I don't understand how people comfortably use dual-stick controls in console FPS games. Like mentally, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand how people comfortably use dual-stick controls in console FPS games. Like mentally, it just doesn't make sense to me.

This is how I feel about people using a keyboard and mouse to play non-rts, non-fps, other pc-centric games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Controllers for fighting games, platformers and whatever Tomb Raider is, kbm for everything else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm trying to imagine someone playing Shadow of the Colossus with KB+M and getting nauseous.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I modify every controller I buy to have the "trimaran" grip of the N64 controller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use a controller for everything except map games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: and quake live

Serf
May 5, 2011

I tried to play Prototype on KB/M once when I couldn't find my Xbox controller.

I went and found my Xbox controller after about 2 minutes of that.

And I still play most FPS on PC with a controller because I'm lazy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to start a Normal no-deaths run of Origin with the second character, got over confident and died on the first boss. :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I use a controller for everything except games that you primarily interact with by pointing and clicking (map games, Civ, XCOM, etc.) or FPS games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I use KBAM for literally everything, up to and including fighting and character action games. :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you're not getting a pure gaming experience unless you're using the Taiko Drum Master controller

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I use my transformer gamepad for everything:

Serf
May 5, 2011

If you're not playing every game with the Steel Battalion controller or the Donkey Konga drums I dunno what to tell you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I play every game with Kinect, because I am the controller.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

I play every game with Kinect, because I am the controller.

Ever wanna see how you invert yourself as the controller? Bam!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

I use a controller for everything except games that you primarily interact with by pointing and clicking (map games, Civ, XCOM, etc.) or FPS games.

personally i'd lump fps games in with games you primarily interact with by pointing and clicking

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there options to invert axis in VR to give yourself brain damage

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How did the Steam Controller turn out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i tried to play fallout 4 with it and i almost hated video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Also FF12 has free movement so that statement confuses me
i think you're misreading, i'm saying that it's like FF12 with its free movement, not "it's like FF12 only with free movement"

it also had menus too

it's interesting that FF12 combat was the way it was after FF11 (an MMO), and now DQ11's combat is the way it is after DQ10 (an MMO). i looked at DQ10 combat and it did look similar to ff12 as well, but you could also apparently push enemies around?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread