Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

I did notice he made a pretty quick swerve away from "FREE SPEECH, YOU CAN'T UNINVITE SPEAKERS" around 2 weeks after Milo told everyone he supported pedophilia, so that might have something to do with it.

Just a few weeks ago I saw someone saying that they bonded with their boyfriend, who is a Trump supporter, over Star Wars. Except that the boyfriend thinks the Empire was right, which apparently wasn't a huge red flag.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What? How? In what way? The Empire are comically evil. They blow up planets, directly murdered a bunch of children, and use clones as slaves.

Republicans have been supporting the Empire for a while now:

http://twitter.com/billkristol/status/810650507714891777

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-case-for-the-empire/article/2540#.WFcwWY5m1Vc

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/20/why-conservatives-love-the-galactic-empire.html

http://www.wired.com/2016/12/rogue-one-alt-right-boycott/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Regardless of the politics behind Prickly City he's literally just been making the same lazy "omg everything is so crazy and I'm freaking out!" strip for a month and it's really loving poo poo considering he spent the last eight years talking about how the Republicans were the adults in the room.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Radish posted:

Regardless of the politics behind Prickly City he's literally just been making the same lazy "omg everything is so crazy and I'm freaking out!" strip for a month and it's really loving poo poo considering he spent the last eight years talking about how the Republicans were the adults in the room.

I was under the impression that it's been going on longer than a month. I don't remember any Prickly City strips since at least the inauguration that haven't been the same "OMG! Freak out! OK, I'm not going to freak out....oh wait - yes I am!" stuff. It's gotten really boring. Even Trump's most ardent detractors have moved on from that poo poo by now. Stantis needs to get over it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The only reason anyone should root for the Empire is because they either haven't seen the movies or are too young to pay attention the plot and just think the Empire has cooler ships/weapons.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Goddammit this is the dumbest arc, tinsley has been doing a better job lately.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Prickly City has been worse than usual (which is already pretty bad) lately, but this looks like we're finally making some progress.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxyclean posted:

The only reason anyone should root for the Empire is because they either haven't seen the movies or are too young to pay attention the plot and just think the Empire has cooler ships/weapons.

Or they're super into the expanded universe and approve of the Empire's anti-alien racism and misogyny which are kind of underplayed (non-existent) in the movies.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

TIE Fighter remains the best Star Wars video game ever made, in part because it's fun to pretend to be the bad guy.

Serve the Emperor above all others.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pakled posted:

Or they're super into the expanded universe and approve of the Empire's anti-alien racism and misogyny which are kind of underplayed (non-existent) in the movies.

Eh, even that can be picked up on in subtext if you actually pay attention to how many on-screen Imperial women and aliens there are in positions of power in the Empire compared to men in the original trilogy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain_Maclaine posted:

TIE Fighter remains the best Star Wars video game ever made, in part because it's fun to pretend to be the bad guy.

It is because you know you're the bad guy. It's sad when you think that you're actually the good guy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:yeah:
I think the majority of my early exposure to Star Wars was the TIE Fighter game.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Except that they didn't dare to have you be a blatantly bad guy and instead had you fight Imperial renegades under Harkov and Zaarin most of the time. There were never any missions in the vein of "shoot down this starship full of civilians" or "blow up an entire inhabited planet".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kopijeger posted:

Except that they didn't dare to have you be a blatantly bad guy and instead had you fight Imperial renegades under Harkov and Zaarin most of the time. There were never any missions in the vein of "shoot down this starship full of civilians" or "blow up an entire inhabited planet".

I'll admit it was a lot more fun to shoot down rebels than it was on those missions, sure (and man with the Zaarin ones drag on at times, particularly the ones around the Vorknkx project), but at least there were those ones at the end where you bait the Bothans into stealing faulty info about the Death Star II project. Oh, and the very first campaign involved a lot of shooting down rebel transports fleeing from Hoth, so I'd sorta count that?

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 27, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, even that can be picked up on in subtext if you actually pay attention to how many on-screen Imperial women and aliens there are in positions of power in the Empire compared to men in the original trilogy.

They also have lines with phrases like 'alien scum' as I recall.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
A rough weekend for the GOP. Ramirez and Branco are clowning them, but they'll always have McCoy.

Anyone know what that medal is?

Once again, Ted leads the charge from his drawing board.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Sandpuppy posted:

Ok Ted. Go ahead. Smash a cop car. Climb the White House fence with a molotov. Do something, you goddamn coward, instead of smugly lambasting others for not doing anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sandpuppy posted:

Anyone know what that medal is?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=red+star+medal

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sandpuppy posted:

The left thinks Trump is "doing great?" Tinsley and Stantis have a two week delay, what's your excuse, Rall?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 27, 2017

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Yeah the left is definitely thinking "Trump is doing great." We're definitely not organizing at the local level. Protesting is definitely the only way to show and practice dissent.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Yeah, there definitely weren't widespread protests at every airport after the Muslim ban

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

My wife, who is currently busting rear end for the planning committee for a huge pro-science march next month, would like you to french kiss a belt sander, Ted.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

My wife, who is currently busting rear end for the planning committee for a huge pro-science march next month, would like you to french kiss a belt sander, Ted.

But is the march lead by Rall, for Rall? If not, it's just useless reformist posing!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Same reasons you'd probably expect people to argue: Things were 'stable' under their rule (for most people), they kept things running well, they united the galaxy, you were only in trouble if you rebel ("why rebel if rebelling is what causes trouble in the first place??"), and a smattering of "we only see the bad stuff, there's hundreds or thousands of other planets that were running just fine under their rule".

well if you look at the EU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Erenthal posted:

But is the march lead by Rall, for Rall? If not, it's just useless reformist posing!

Rall for one, one for rall, as the saying goes

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Strangely, that lmgtfy link reveals the exact same non-answers I got when googling it manually before asking the question.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

Strangely, that lmgtfy link reveals the exact same non-answers I got when googling it manually before asking the question.

first result i got

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Red_Star

altho i do agree that LMGTFY is dumb passive-aggressive thing to do

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Sandpuppy posted:

It appears to be the Order of the Soviet Union medal

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

I don't usually read these, but this one is good. I like this arc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i do'nt get the meme

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

It appears to be the Order of the Soviet Union medal

I'll assume you mean "Hero of the Soviet Union":

The ribbon is clearly wrong, though. There is also the post-soviet "Hero of the Russian Federation medal":

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mandatory lesbian posted:

first result i got

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Red_Star

altho i do agree that LMGTFY is dumb passive-aggressive thing to do

LMGTFY would be barely acceptable if google didn't personalize search results. But it does, so a dogshit site designed to be snide by wasting someone's time and likely not succeeding deserves mocking.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I got that too, but it doesn't look much like the one in the cartoon, other than being a shade of red and star-shaped. The Hungarian Red Star looks closer, by way of having a red suspender, but I guess that would make less sense. Perhaps I'm expecting it to be too specific, and Mike Thompson just made up his own stand-in medal for Russia.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LMGTFY was funny when I was in college, ten literal years ago

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey posted:

An original joke coupled with a timely reference. What a combo!

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/846401929882353665

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

I got that too, but it doesn't look much like the one in the cartoon, other than being a shade of red and star-shaped. The Hungarian Red Star looks closer, by way of having a red suspender, but I guess that would make less sense. Perhaps I'm expecting it to be too specific, and Mike Thompson just made up his own stand-in medal for Russia.

honestly it's too small for me to see clearly in the cartoon, but it's star-shaped and red so eh close enough

i agree tho, it's prob not a specific medal per se but just meant to be emblematic of the soviet love of red stars

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the struggle is real

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ukip and online extremism – Amber Rudd refused to rule out passing new legislation to tackle encrypted messaging and the posting of extremist material online"

Telegraph:

Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon meet ahead of Article 50; New pound coin enteres circulation tomorrow

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Using the Nuclear Option on the filibuster would be MAD.

AGC

• Locked thread