Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah you should delete that line because the show is nowhere near that point and it's a big spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I wonder what team the writer follows who named the slimy exploitative hacker. :romo:

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah you should delete that line because the show is nowhere near that point and it's a big spoiler

[Looks dismissively down. In Russian accent:] You call that thing big?

And "the next episode" is "nowhere near that point"? I think you need to increase your dosage.

E: Also, I've possibly owned myself.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 26, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Iron Rose posted:

This is a pretty good impression of the thread, IMO.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

JossiRossi posted:

Show called The 100, I stopped watching cause it got very teen drama-y. Not sure if I should try again...

I stopped watching it because there became a pattern of black characters getting killed off, whiped and pissed on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember some book folk going on about canned chicken so I was really excited to see it in the preview for next episode. It's already hilarious to me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Stop discussing previews of scenes that have not aired yet. You are going to trigger book readers to spoil further.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Certainly someone is going to get triggered.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Expanse, Season 2: 12 pounds of ridiculous chicken

(Same as this thread’s subtitle.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeuWAT9zgA

CANNED CHICKEN!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHICKEN!!!!!!!!

This dude is basically the opposite of what I thought Basia would look like.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

It wasn't a mafia. they were wearing Star Helix uniforms, who were the private police organization Miller worked for.

:stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not that Star Helix is a shining beacon of integrity, but they could have just been wearing the Star Helix uniforms as a pretense for boarding ships.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not that Star Helix is a shining beacon of integrity, but they could have just been wearing the Star Helix uniforms as a pretense for boarding ships.

:stare:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Still a significant indication of societal breakdown

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really like how they showed everyone's jaw dropping when they found life on Venus. No if's and's or but's. Just pure "holy poo poo" on their faces

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Dude, spoiler that poo poo! There were people watching the show, but not paying attention.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dr. Benway posted:

Dude, spoiler that poo poo! There were people watching the show, but not paying attention.

I see what you did there... :nallears:

It looked like they weighed all the Martian actors down with training weights for the Earth scenes, which was an awesome touch. Bobbie, in particular, looked like she was wearing a body vest, ankle, and wrist weights to simulate the increased gravity and make her movements so much more plodding. The shot of the bird effortlessly floating over her was :perfect:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Everyone on the show is assuming the "stealth ship" around Venus is Martian but I thought only Protogen had stealth ships?

Also anyone else get the vibe that Drummer killed those two guys to shut them up before they said anything about her actual allegiance? I have absolutely no proof for any of this but that's never stopped me before.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The stealth tech is a Mars invention, that's why the Protogen ships not being Martian was a surprise.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Everyone on the show is assuming the "stealth ship" around Venus is Martian but I thought only Protogen had stealth ships?

Also anyone else get the vibe that Drummer killed those two guys to shut them up before they said anything about her actual allegiance? I have absolutely no proof for any of this but that's never stopped me before.

There's no way that's the case. It seemed pretty clear to me that Drummer is loyal to Fred and her listening to Dawes when he came to speak with her was her attempting to learn more about his plans. The chain of events in the attack on Tycho's CnC would be really strange if she wasn't loyal to Fred.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shes totally loyal to Fred, she's even a bit upset at Naomi not liking him and probing her on that and trying to convince her he's great.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Milky Moor posted:

There's no way that's the case. It seemed pretty clear to me that Drummer is loyal to Fred and her listening to Dawes when he came to speak with her was her attempting to learn more about his plans. The chain of events in the attack on Tycho's CnC would be really strange if she wasn't loyal to Fred.

Dawes didn't order the attack on the CnC...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Wow, thanks for the spoilers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Smiling Jack posted:

Drummer definitely knew Dawes was calling to tell Fred he was out, she tried to get him to take it in his office away from the OPA members.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Milky Moor posted:

Wow, thanks for the spoilers.

This is a joke right

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

This is a joke right

Does my avatar make me look like the kind of guy who would joke about spoilers?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

People are forgetting that the OPA has no official hierarchy and is made up of tons of independent factions.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Smiling Jack posted:

They'd​ end up getting spaced anyways, she was just skipping to the end.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The stealth tech is a Mars invention, that's why the Protogen ships not being Martian was a surprise.

I don't know if they've said it's a Mars invention, just that only Mars had the money to build stealth ships.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I don't know if they've said it's a Mars invention, just that only Mars had the money to build stealth ships.

I'm pretty sure it's a Martian invention: Mars has better scientists/tech, but Earth has numbers/brute force. I get the impression that Mars is a little more spartan, with a lot of resources going towards the terraforming project (pet peeve: giant coffee machine just being standard on a gunboat feels really out of place, I feel like the Martians would just use stims and save space). Earth, on the other hand, has all of the old money and tax base to spend on big fleets and surplus labor to crew them up.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

https://fat.gfycat.com/LimpBitesizedGraywolf.mp4

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I get the impression that Mars is a little more spartan, with a lot of resources going towards the terraforming project (pet peeve: giant coffee machine just being standard on a gunboat feels really out of place, I feel like the Martians would just use stims and save space). Earth, on the other hand, has all of the old money and tax base to spend on big fleets and surplus labor to crew them up.

Crew comforts are a big thing. Part of what made the US submarine fleet so successful during WW2 is that it was the only fleet that was actually air conditioned, allowing it to stay out longer on patrols.

Having been on the Clamagore at Patriot's Point during the height of summer I can say without air conditioning it is a stifling hellish experience to be trapped for weeks on end in.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

People are forgetting that the OPA has no official hierarchy and is made up of tons of independent factions.

As illustrated by modern politics, most people are completely incapable of wrapping their heads around this idea.

We need more shows like the expanse as training.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a Martian invention: Mars has better scientists/tech, but Earth has numbers/brute force. I get the impression that Mars is a little more spartan, with a lot of resources going towards the terraforming project (pet peeve: giant coffee machine just being standard on a gunboat feels really out of place, I feel like the Martians would just use stims and save space). Earth, on the other hand, has all of the old money and tax base to spend on big fleets and surplus labor to crew them up.

If there's one thing the military and big corporations can agree on, it's that free coffee boosts productivity.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If there's one thing the military and big corporations can agree on, it's that free coffee boosts productivity.

Yeah but as much as Holden and crew act like its the best stuff ever, the free coffee in the military is always watered down and or burnt tasting crap purchased from the vendor with the lowest cost and highest kickbacks. So not surprised at all the ship has a coffee maker, pretty sure nobody knows what real coffee is supposed to taste like in the future. Only way they could make the mess more accurate is if after a week underway the ship is completely out of all condiments.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wonder if Mars is footing the bill for Ganymede so they can have a greater presence in the Belt than Earth or if they're just doing it because they don't want a war that badly. But asking a question like that borders on asking book people for spoilers.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

vermin posted:

I wonder if Mars is footing the bill for Ganymede so they can have a greater presence in the Belt than Earth or if they're just doing it because they don't want a war that badly. But asking a question like that borders on asking book people for spoilers.

With the exception of one event, Martian politics has had more screen time on show than in the books, so far.

The reality is, the authors haven't bothered telling us anything other than, they (Why? For what reason? They never explained this.) have better scientists, and better ships (Again why do they have better ships? They were built more recently? Did Earth just stop building ships?).

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The series has made significant diversions in plot, especially in regards to the political aspects, to the point where book readers are as much in the dark as show watchers.

Edit: I'm still unclear as to if Mars actually has deployed stealth ships or not

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do like that the misery in the expanse seems at least realistic and the powers involved are locked into it. Earth can't stop brutally squeezing the belt because they need resources for their dead gay planet with a majority of people on some form of welfare. Any losses from the belt, any rise in prices would directly translate into lower living standards on earth which would be political suicide for anyone who allowed it to happen. They can't reduce their military budget because mars might get the upper hand in space and earth absolutely needs those space resources or it could potentially be a total collapse of their society.

Mars is absolutely addicted to water from the belt for their terraforming which they obsess over in an almost cult like way. It was delayed for a generation due to a small scrap with earth and now they blame all their delays and problems on the fact that they have to divert resources away from terraforming towards military. They can't let up on the belt because they need those resources for their sacred project, the one thing that unifies all martians. They also can't let up on their military spending because what if the earth gets the upper hand in the belt and slows down their terraforming project once again?

The OPA is a bunch of factions ranging from the more reasonable and diplomatic with some actual realistic expectations and plans like Fred, to just revenge focused terrorists who can't think beyond the next bombing. If everyone was united behind Fred they could negotiate better pay and slightly more resource extraction profits staying in the belt. Just enough to allow the belt to long-term improve its quality of life, without causing mars to tell its poeple terraforming will be only enjoyed by yet another generation in the future, or earth having to drastically cut basic and have riots on its hands. In fact tons of belters would call Fred an uncle tom traitor if he successfully negotiated something like that. The belt only needs a bit more of those resources to stay home which they could invest in more and more production and better working conditions. As long as earth and mars get their quotas the rest is gravy to be re-invested into their society, and after a generation or so those quotas will look tiny. But gradual improvements which don't involve billions dead in war aren't what most radical OPA want.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Jack posted:

The series has made significant diversions in plot, especially in regards to the political aspects, to the point where book readers are as much in the dark as show watchers.

Edit: I'm still unclear as to if Mars actually has deployed stealth ships or not

Earth experienced huge brain drain due to Mars sucking up all the best Inyalowda engineers, scientists etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The OPA to me is like the IRA, it's filled with multiple factions, some more violent than others.

• Locked thread