Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The lightning's just one more element of visual noise, and a pretty distracting element at that. It's too much. There's shots in there where there's more lightning visible than Flash.

And also, yeah, it's more loving blue. I honestly prefer Marvel's weird grayness to the constant washed-out bluetones of DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's when he's going very fast.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really liked how Flash moved

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Flash is like the one character where Snyder's style actually works and makes sense.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I think Snyder got mixed up on the difference between Aquaman and Lobo

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Some details have come out about Vulture in the new Spider Man. Him, Shocker and Tinkerer work for a company that's basically ( if not explicitly) Damage Control who end up losing their contract for cleaning up superhero battles to a Stark company and end up reusing chitauri tech to build their suits and weapons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That seems like a conflict of interest.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Finally watched the JL trailer:

I quite liked:
- The look of slo-mo extra-electric Flash
- "The Aquaman" highway surfing the Batmobile
- JK Simmons' mustache

Cyborg still looks like he could be snapped in half by a strong wind and so far that actor is not doling out any charisma whatsoever. I want a Teen Titans Go Cyborg personality. :(

What does Batman say at around 1:38? I've listened to it like 3 times and can't parse it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

Some details have come out about Vulture in the new Spider Man. Him, Shocker and Tinkerer work for a company that's basically ( if not explicitly) Damage Control who end up losing their contract for cleaning up superhero battles to a Stark company and end up reusing chitauri tech to build their suits and weapons.

Also his jacket needs a haircut

E: Just announced, new Homecoming trailer premiering tomorrow.
https://mobile.twitter.com/spidermanmovie/status/846346096792109058

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 27, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope the CGI in JL looks less out of place by the end, because dear God the Parademons and Cyborg look weird

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is the Titans cartoon cyborg's design just forbidden to use?

He's blue, I thought the DC movies loved blue!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Titans design has a kind of Fischer Price look which works for that show but wouldn't elsewhere.

You gotta give him more of a chance than seeing him say one line and saying he had no charisma. I thought it was a good read, personally.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just remembered this article from last year, I'm guessing Stark's cleanup is the real Damage Control and likely the reason they cancelled the TV show that was in production

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/fan-theory-potentially-reveals-status-of-marvels-damage-control-tv-show-a147830

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

parallelodad posted:

The Titans design has a kind of Fischer Price look which works for that show but wouldn't elsewhere.

You gotta give him more of a chance than seeing him say one line and saying he had no charisma. I thought it was a good read, personally.

That's a fair criticism but on the other hand having half a head of hair looks awful

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Schwarzwald posted:

Chewbacca is obviously a man in a costume...

Take your heatheness elsewhere

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The real problem with the DCEU is they tried to "rush in" to their big ensemble film while Marvel took their time and built up to Avengers naturally.

Iron Man came out in May 2008 and Avengers came out in May 2012, four years later. And between they had four other movies in universe introducing new characters and the tone of the universe.

But Man of Steel came out in June 2013 and Justice League has been completely rushed to only four and a half years later in November 2017, and between those two they've only had three other in universe films instead of four. They haven't introduced us and given us the chance to get used to important characters and their roles like Edward Norton's Hulk and Terrence Howard Rhodes.

They really set up important characters like Hawkeye by having him stand on a tower and do nothing, unlike the DCEUs handling of Aquaman.

And their universe is filled with unlikable millionaires who casually murder people, not charming rogues like Tony Stark.

Total rush job.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh man, you totally owned whoever said those things, they must be so embarrassed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The teaser trailers Lex had on his laptop or whatever along with logos for each of the characters still makes me giggle everytime I think about it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

Oh man, you totally owned whoever said those things, they must be so embarrassed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Studio execs understand the Marvel cinematic universe is making mad bank without understanding that they developed it over years.

On the other hand Batman being in it guarantees they'll make boatloads regardless so I don't know that they really care.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm probably taking the bait on this but whatever.

They made a cap movie, two iron man movies, a hulk movie, and a thor movie before the avengers. That's five compared to 3. One of those movies was for establishing a character who won't show up in the first jla movie. Comparing years and not movies made is stupid,

While they changed actors, they established nearly all of the characters, though it was off putting at first to just have norton leave.

Avengers only introduced hawkeye. DC has no characterisation for the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. If it was just one of those characters fine, but that's more than half the cast of their movie. Why should I be excited for this movie again?

As for your last point yes, the avengers thus far have been generally more likeable than Batman or Superman

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 27, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surely you don't really need to work your way up when your main characters are Batman and Superman because everyone knows who they are already? :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No movie needs establishing movies. You don't need The Origin Of Indiana Jones or whatever to like Indiana Jones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And even with the setup Avengers reintroduces every character anyway.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No movie needs establishing movies. You don't need The Origin Of Indiana Jones or whatever to like Indiana Jones.

I'd argue that if your trying to create a franchise you do.

Indiana Jones movie, the main character is Indiana Jones. They aren't using the movie to also make you love short round and go watch his flick.

The whole premise of superhero team up flicks is watch superheroes you like interact with one another. The movie going audience has the benefit of knowing the personality and traits of the character. Now a superhero team up movie has to establish these traits of the new character while also sharing the spotlight with a bunch of other guys.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, I think you mean Indiana Jones: Origins

Prequels were a mistake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the clearest proof of the differing approaches is that everyone is madly in love with the MCU and everyone hates the DCCU except for youtube commenters.

I think you might be able to launch DC Avengers to acclaim after two establishing films but WB ain't accomplishing that.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

When the ensemble team up is like Oceans Eleven, you don't need a whole lot of screen time to introduce a big cast. Each member is a criminal and we get a brief idea of their specialty in a quick scene. That's all you need to know to follow the movie.

When the ensemble team up is like Justice League you can't just introduce a character like that. Each background needs to be explored more because they contain fantastical elements everyone won't be able to just pick up on without confusion. One character may be the leader of an ancient civilization, powered by magic, another could be a member of a Cosmic order that protects galaxies, and yet another can be a normal person who gets transformed into a metahuman by a scientific experiment gone wrong. The cultures/planets that some of them have grown up in need to be explained, as well as how their powers work.

It's great when all the main characters are pre-established so the ensemble team up movie can get right into the team up story without an hour of rushed introductions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

redbackground posted:

What does Batman say at around 1:38? I've listened to it like 3 times and can't parse it.

"My turn." Need your ears checked my dude. Or get a pair of good headphones, lmao.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I'd argue that if your trying to create a franchise you do.

Indiana Jones movie, the main character is Indiana Jones. They aren't using the movie to also make you love short round and go watch his flick.

The whole premise of superhero team up flicks is watch superheroes you like interact with one another. The movie going audience has the benefit of knowing the personality and traits of the character. Now a superhero team up movie has to establish the character of the new character while also sharing the spotlight with a bunch of other guys.

Yeah, I'd agree- team movies without set-up can and often do work just fine. Mystery Men and Guardians of the Galaxy are great superhero movies featuring totally unknown characters, the first X-Men movie and the reboot with First Class were fine, and there are plenty of well-received ensemble films that can provide inspiration- any good heist film, war films like The Great Escape, etc. And in many of those cases people's enjoyment is absolutely built on enjoying the interaction of the various characters without lots of prior knowledge. It's just that these are all either designed as self-contained affairs, or with the intent that their sequels would be equally team-based. You don't have time to do anything but paint characters in fairly broad strokes, and audiences associate the characters with the initial team context- i.e. if I liked Ocean's Eleven I'll probably be interested in Ocean's Twelve, but I'd be considerably more dubious about hypothetical solo Danny Ocean and Rusty Ryan spin-off films.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Cape comics have people show up and show off their powers with no backstory all the time. If they're popular they get an origin later. You just need a baseline audience expectation that this world has superheroes in it.

You could absolutely do a Justice League movie with no setup, but you'd have to be ruthless about glossing over or just omitting the origin stories. Every character is a costume, a set of powers, and a personality, that's it. Maybe a line of dialogue about where they came from. This is pretty much how Avengers handled it. If the movie is a success, it makes the audience want to know more, which builds an audience for the future solo movies - just like in comics.

Snyder's approach so far doesn't suggest he could restrain himself enough to do that, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That was still a pretty good series, though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You can introduce a bunch of characters in one film, but you need to have good writing and so far WB is lacking there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think a better way to say it is that Marvel made a bunch of people want a team-up movie between RDJ's Iron Man, Evans' Captain America, Hemsworth's Thor, Johannsen's Black Widow, and a Hulk, and then gave them one after they already wanted it.

DC is struggling because they are trying to sell Justice League to people who don't have that pre-established desire to see it (and because they continue re-using the same aesthetic that people who don't like DC movies hate so much no matter how much they complain).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ImpAtom posted:

I dunno. I have very fond memories of that tv series to be honest

(You really should have chosen someone who didn't have that. Like Bond?)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm really glad they decided to do the Strider, Gandalf, and Legolas movies before doing the big team-up in Fellowship of the Ring. I wouldn't have understood the world or liked the characters otherwise.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm really glad they decided to do the Strider, Gandalf, and Legolas movies before doing the big team-up in Fellowship of the Ring. I wouldn't have understood the world or liked the characters otherwise.

hdu leave out Gimli.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

When the ensemble team up is like Oceans Eleven, you don't need a whole lot of screen time to introduce a big cast. Each member is a criminal and we get a brief idea of their specialty in a quick scene. That's all you need to know to follow the movie.

When the ensemble team up is like Justice League you can't just introduce a character like that. Each background needs to be explored more because they contain fantastical elements everyone won't be able to just pick up on without confusion. One character may be the leader of an ancient civilization, powered by magic, another could be a member of a Cosmic order that protects galaxies, and yet another can be a normal person who gets transformed into a metahuman by a scientific experiment gone wrong. The cultures/planets that some of them have grown up in need to be explained, as well as how their powers work.
This is a good point that doesn't get brought up a lot and I don't think a lot of people have seriously considered.

People make fun of Marvel movies for feeling samey and interchangeable and there's validity to that, but the characters themselves are plucked from a lot of different genres and settings. Some are more synchronous than others (Captain America and Hulk are both results of super science), and some are virtually incompatible on a surface level (actual otherworldly god Thor and...Hawkeye), either way, the series of films did a lot to make it so that it doesn't feel strange for these characters to appear together...not only in the same universe, but in the same storyline.

It's not as much about needing the origin of Indiana Jones to enjoy Indiana Jones as much as it is about needing something before you put Indiana Jones, Han Solo, and Jack Ryan in the same storyline.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I mean...you joke, but LotR was originally a sequel to another story which had already established a lot of the setting and even many of those characters, so...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...you joke, but LotR was originally a sequel to another story which had already established a lot of the setting and even many of those characters, so...

By that metric the Justice League are hardly unfamiliar characters either.

Plus they just jumped straight into the Lord of the Rings movies without doing The Hobbit first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

It's great when all the main characters are pre-established so the ensemble team up movie can get right into the team up story without an hour of rushed introductions.

There are plenty of movies which introduce fantastical characters quickly. I mean christ Guardians of the Galaxy introduces characters probably more difficult to deal with than Man Who Runs Fans or Guys Who Lives Underwater. These things are not as complex as people make them out to be and there have been films like that before the advent of Everything's A Franchise.

• Locked thread