Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good luck all you non Switch havers.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/203164/20170326/nintendo-switch-will-have-supply-problems-for-the-rest-of-the-year-gamestop-claims.htm

quote:

Due to this persistent demand, Bartel believes that GameStop will be "chasing supply this entire year," which is bad news for customers still looking to get the chance to buy a Nintendo Switch. For those who were thinking that it would become much easier to acquire the hybrid console as weeks or months pass after its launch, it seems that GameStop believes otherwise, and that the supply shortage will extend through the holiday shopping season.

Lol @ the dude that sold his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He'll probably be able to get it at a different retailer more easily. GameStop is just trying to sell bundles. I don't know anything about British dealers though. In the US however when it's a shipment day you'll have stock in places like Target and Best Buy for several hours and don't need to be lined up in the morning.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nintendo should consider allowing people to buy their system, and also fix the eshop so loving Snipperclips of all things isn't hidden anymore.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ventana posted:

The Digital foundry comparison says otherwise. For an anecdotal note, I've talked frequently with one of my friends who has the Wii U version and his testimony supported the conclusion from the video as well. I've not heard any other sources that have said Wii U is better, so where are you getting this from?

I could be wrong here, but speed runners have basically been using the Wii U version due to shorter load times and less frame drops in key areas.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Dizz posted:

mayne NOT put smash 4 on switch and just give us the best version which is the 64 version

Why not do like the Halo anniversary collection thing and release every Smash in a single cart?

I need to try Smash Brothers some day...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takoluka posted:

I could be wrong here, but speed runners have basically been using the Wii U version due to shorter load times and less frame drops in key areas.

The load time depends on where the game is stored for the most part. Internal memory > SD > Cart > External hard drive > disc for the most part. The required install for the WiiU version may be making it load key things faster for the most part, loading from both disc and drive at the same time for the most part. It also has less to load for the most part, since all of its textures are lower resolution and therefore smaller for the most part.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I never played shovel knight before the switch so it's neat to know the nintendo switch version is the favored child.
Yacht Club probably got a bunch of money from Nintendo to make it temporarily exclusive, I assume.

enojy posted:

Yea, Yacht Club Games loves Nintendo. I don't know exactly their relationship, but Shovel Knight was originally a Wii U & 3DS "exclusive" (it was on PC, too) and got ported to infinity based on its initial success.
The co-op mode was originally exclusive to Wii U too (using the Shovel Knight amiibo).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo publishes Shovel Knight in Japan don't they?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Infinitum posted:

Realtalk, I can't remember where I read the article or where I read it and I can assure you that this is a 100% real thing I am not making up, but someone complained about Miiverse a while back when they were playing Super Mario 3D Land with their kids and they had Miiverse posts come up in the background

What was in those pictures?
Penises

So I can understand why Nintendo would want to remove the need to moderate that poo poo constantly 24/7. Much akin to the old dead Lego MMO which basically devolved into full time round the clock Penis checking via the mod team, cause you certainly can't have kids seeing Lego dongs or dong related media.

On the other hand gently caress that noise Miiverse was cool and had good art, especially for Splatoon.

I played through NSMBWiiU last month and 90% of the Miiverse messages in game were variations of 'gently caress ME THIS LEVEL IS HARD', 'I HATE THIS poo poo GAME' or 'I WANT TO KILL BOWSER AND poo poo DOWN HIS NECK'.

No dongs tho.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

parallelodad posted:

The load time depends on where the game is stored for the most part. Internal memory > SD > Cart > External hard drive > disc for the most part. The required install for the WiiU version may be making it load key things faster for the most part, loading from both disc and drive at the same time for the most part. It also has less to load for the most part, since all of its textures are lower resolution and therefore smaller for the most part.

Is this a parody of something?!

(expected response: "For the most part.")

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

NofrikinfuN posted:

Why not do like the Halo anniversary collection thing and release every Smash in a single cart?

I need to try Smash Brothers some day...

That would take longer to get online playability for each version

Also; Melee snobs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wendell posted:

Is this a parody of something?!

(expected response: "For the most part.")

I just noticed I used the same clause three times in a row and said gently caress it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

parallelodad posted:

I just noticed I used the same clause three times in a row and said gently caress it.

Haha, nice one then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm thinking of buying Fast RMX and playing that during lunch.

Now you're thinking with power!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

My Pro controller has completely replaced my 360 controller for PC gaming and it's good as hell.

Needs real triggers.

Norns fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 27, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

a.lo posted:

No it doesn't

Pants Donkey posted:

There's three amiibos left, but four in development for release. Unless they decide to release female Corrin (which they have never done for any other amiibo) then it's a new character for the Deluxe version.

Also, Bayonetta and Corrin were released in February 2016. Cloud was released earlier still, in December 2015. Even weird third party issues doesn't apply, as Corrin would still be in the clear for release while they worked out poo poo with Platinum and Square. There's no real reason to delay these amiibos for over a year besides holding them back until Smash Deluxe releases. Especially if the game has some new amiibo gimmick to show off.

And this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did this with the amiibos. The Mario Party series had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Toad come out when Mario Party 10 came out. But the ones for Boo, Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, Daisy, Donkey Kong, and Diddy didn't come out for another year when the 3DS Mario Party came out.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Takoluka posted:

Looking it up, this only appears to be due to the fact that the WIi U loads faster, not from frame drops. The load time difference apparently accounts for 31s*, 16 of which is just in the Great Plateau from the Shrines/warping to shrines. Even in the comparing runs I'm seeing between Switch/Wii U runs, Wii U is showing more frame drops than the Switch version (the current WR any% Wii U run even had a second freeze, which I don't see in this other Switch run I'm looking at).

Which basically just says that the frame drops, while they occur a bunch, don't matter much in the end for the speedrunners. But, I'd argue that for every other player, they'd probably take the 2s slower shrine load times for better performance. Or at the very least, I would for casual play.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Had an annoying error last night in handheld mode.

I pressed the Power button which pulled up the Power Settings menu, planning to use Sleep Mode, but after the menu came up the controls went back to communicating with BotW so I could run around but the menu was still laid on top of the game and I couldnt do anything to actually change or get rid of the menu. Holding down Power didn't do anything... Eventually I pulled the game cartridge, then holding down Power did shut it down.

Didn't reboot since then, hopefully nothing weird going on still.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This happened to me as well. I tried docking it to see if that would trigger some weird priority but it didn't. Had to do the hard reset.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I enjoyed Splatoon 2 quite a bit. Are the rounds really that short though in the full game? They should be twice as long minimum

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

calusari posted:

I enjoyed Splatoon 2 quite a bit. Are the rounds really that short though in the full game? They should be twice as long minimum

Splatoon 1 has five-minute rounds

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr Cheeto posted:

Splatoon 1 has five-minute rounds

But I think they're only in ranking matches? Anyway, turf wars are quick and to the point.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Splatoon matches are supposed to be fast.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It's Splatoon, not War of Attrition

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean, it's worth remembering that Turf Wars is the unranked mode for folks getting used to the game, and that there's a very good ranked mode with like king of the hill and payload modes.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Turf War's definitely the right length, a lot of matches aren't even decided until the final minute anyway

Wendell
May 11, 2003

an actual dog posted:

I mean, it's worth remembering that Turf Wars is the unranked mode for folks getting used to the game, and that there's a very good ranked mode with like king of the hill and payload modes.

Are these other modes decided by painting the floor still, or are they about killing?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hi guys. What neogeo games should I buy on this?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Wendell posted:

Are these other modes decided by painting the floor still, or are they about killing?

They're all objective-based. There is no deathmatch mode in Splatoon.

Norns posted:

Neo Turf Masters is the only one I've tried so far and it's good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wendell posted:

Some are about painting and holding a very specific area of the floor, and one is about riding a tower to the enemy base.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Norns posted:

Neo turf masters is a god drat masterpiece and if I knew that originally I would happily pay $50 for it over again.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

Some are about painting and holding a very specific area of the floor, and one is about riding a tower to the enemy base.

And one is a game of football.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The great thing about Splatoon is you are always on the good guys team. And really, it makes you think. The bad guys always think they're the good guys. What a profound statement.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Takoluka posted:

And one is a game of football.

But the ball is a bazooka

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Norns posted:

Metal Slug 3 and Waku Waku 7 are legit awesome

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Metal Slug 3 and Waku Waku 7 are legit awesome

Can you play multiplayer on those with just the left and right joycons?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Music Theory posted:

Can you play multiplayer on those with just the left and right joycons?

Yeh, you can also make your bf have a seizure when he sees metal slug for the first time and almost breaks up with you. That was a fun Saturday night!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Who doesn't have a massive dong backlog?

*raises hand, sheepishly*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I don't like about Neo Turf Masters is that I can never get it to go in the hole without having to putt. It always bounced off the pin and then I have to tap it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I don't like about Neo Turf Masters is that I can never get it to go in the hole without having to putt. It always bounced off the pin and then I have to tap it in.

I've had good chip-ins before. I think it's VERY dependent on the ball speed.

• Locked thread