Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Seconding hero's war, ra, mother of learning, and practical guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Piell posted:

Super Powereds and Citadel are probably the best superhero web novels aside from worm. If you're interested in a more fantasy bent, The Gods Are Bastards and A Practical Guide to Evil are both pretty good.

I binge read Citadel which ended up being surprisingly good - but then it suddenly stopped, several months ago, without even any comments this year. Any idea if the author is just erratic or did he pull a vanishing act?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 17, 2017

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what Unsong is? It's number 2 on topwebfic behind Twig but no synopsis or about page so I dunno what it's about.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unsong is an alternate history about the universe breaking when NASA tries to go to the moon. Lots and lots of interesting extrapolations of Jewish mythology, trolling by Satan, the Archangel Uriel having no idea how to interact with humans and failing at it in hilarious fashion, and Richard goddamn Nixon. The names of God gain power when spoken and capitalism does its best to discover them all in as financially efficient a method as possible. A little girl teaches an archangel how to tell knock knock jokes. It's a good time.

It's very strange, but parts of it are goddamn brilliant and the out-of-nowhere punchlines that you realize the entire chapter has been building up to are loving hilarious. It has a similar structure and feel to Douglas Adams' books, if you've read Hitchhiker's Guide or any of the rest.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 20, 2017

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Unsong is amazing and if you have the slightest interest in the Western magical tradition or in Kabbala then there are a LOT of entertaining subtle references.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I love unsong. I like but not loved the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but it is like he took all the best elements of Douglas Adams' writing and mixed it with traditional old testament mythology.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unsong is great. The dialogue can be insanely cringey at times but the worldbuilding is excellent and it's about 85% worldbuilding which is good.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Unsong is great. The dialogue can be insanely cringey at times but the worldbuilding is excellent and it's about 85% worldbuilding which is good.

That's the weird thing. 85% worldbuilding certainly means the world is well developed and very interesting, but it means the plot progresses at a snail's pace, and no individual character gets that much development. It kinda feels more like a collection of microstories; some of which feed into a vague central plot.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Vateke posted:

That's the weird thing. 85% worldbuilding certainly means the world is well developed and very interesting, but it means the plot progresses at a snail's pace, and no individual character gets that much development. It kinda feels more like a collection of microstories; some of which feed into a vague central plot.

Yes. But the worldbuilding is so much fun that's ok.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm reading through Worm again, and while I still find it to be an exceptional bit of writing in the superhero genre (a genre which is more stagnant and derivative than not these days), I'm reminded that the dialog is, well, bad in the early parts. Characters tend to be long-winded in situations that would be better served by shorter bursts of words; in the scene where Taylor gets in a fight with Sophia, after Taylor gets decked in the ear hard enough to draw blood, she says something along the lines of, "What perverted ideology drives you to such acts of depravity?!" Even the fedora-wearing nerds I've known in my life would truncate that to a nice and concise, "What the gently caress is your problem, you psycho?!" after they got their head lacerated.

Also, the swearing is laid on thick in the first third of the story, especially with Armsmaster, and some of the insults bandied about are cringe-inducing. I'm wondering if wildbow will get to that stuff when he somehow pulls off the miracle of editing the entire damned thing, because it could at least use a few rewrites in the beginning and (of course) the time skip.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Also, the swearing is laid on thick in the first third of the story, especially with Armsmaster, and some of the insults bandied about are cringe-inducing. I'm wondering if wildbow will get to that stuff when he somehow pulls off the miracle of editing the entire damned thing, because it could at least use a few rewrites in the beginning and (of course) the time skip.
He's already been editing it for the past year or so and has basically done / is doing exactly that. For publication, though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It doesn't sound like there have been any dates announced or schedules set, but what kind of expectation should I have for when Worm 2 might be up?

Also, what format is the original Worm being edited for? Is he doing it as a series of novels? A TV series? Or just a more consistent & coherent web serial? Sorry if this stuff has been addressed recently, I kind of fell behind with the thread after Worm finished up finally and didn't see any answers in the last couple of pages.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

It doesn't sound like there have been any dates announced or schedules set, but what kind of expectation should I have for when Worm 2 might be up?
No firm date. Almost certainly after Twig concludes, probably not too long after.

Inspector 34 posted:

Also, what format is the original Worm being edited for? Is he doing it as a series of novels? A TV series? Or just a more consistent & coherent web serial? Sorry if this stuff has been addressed recently, I kind of fell behind with the thread after Worm finished up finally and didn't see any answers in the last couple of pages.
The editing is not an adaptation, and any potential adaptation is neither certain nor soon.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What is the point of editing it then? Seems like he has plenty of other projects to occupy his time. Not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm just curious.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pretty sure it is for a series of novels and he wants to be a 'real' published author.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

What is the point of editing it then? Seems like he has plenty of other projects to occupy his time. Not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm just curious.
No publisher wants to buy the rights to a work whose contents are entirely out there, and what publisher would pick up Worm 2 if they couldn't also publish Worm 1?

An updated, edited novelization that isn't out there, which the serial proved there is a fanbase for? More palatable.

He might end up self-publishing anyways, though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

No firm date. Almost certainly after Twig concludes, probably not too long after.

The editing is not an adaptation, and any potential adaptation is neither certain nor soon.

You really don't think editing a gargantuan web serial like Worm down to a series of novels isn't an adaptation?

John Dies at the End is one of the few works I can remember going from Net to print and achieving some degree of success in the process. But the hardcover version of JDaTE gets pretty different to the original at points, and isn't necessarily better for it, either. And JDaTE was much simpler than Worm and involved far less words.

There's a fairly big list of things WB would need to look at when editing Worm for novel publication.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Going to web serial to print is fairly common in non-english markets.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

You really don't think editing a gargantuan web serial like Worm down to a series of novels isn't an adaptation?
Was the implicit "into a wholly different medium like the ones the person I am replying to listed" not clear? My bad.

Btw if you aren't a jerk, you can usually pick a lot of this up in the parahumans IRC server.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

No publisher wants to buy the rights to a work whose contents are entirely out there, and what publisher would pick up Worm 2 if they couldn't also publish Worm 1?

He has multiple offers for Worm, apparently. What you said might have been true, I dunno, a decade ago, but it's a bit silly in 2017. But he'd probably get more money self-publishing, anyway, since he already has an audience.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 8, 2017

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

He has multiple offers for Worm, apparently.

All preliminary, though.

And as far as I know the two media projects are stalled for the time being.

Megazver posted:

What you said might have been true, I dunno, a decade ago, but it's a bit silly in 2017. But he'd probably get more money self-publishing, anyway, since he already has an audience.
Pretty sure he's been told as much, I also asked a publisher friend of mine familiar with Worm who said the same thing. And self-publishing ain't cheap, so I don't think it's a slam dunk.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Was the implicit "into a wholly different medium like the ones the person I am replying to listed" not clear? My bad.

Btw if you aren't a jerk, you can usually pick a lot of this up in the parahumans IRC server.

You mean like the- oh

"Is he doing it as a series of novels?"

ohhh

I get that you're some kind of defense unit for Worm but, man, it's really not necessary.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

John Dies at the End is one of the few works I can remember going from Net to print and achieving some degree of success in the process

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I get that you're some kind of defense unit for Worm but, man, it's really not necessary.
Defense unit? I set up and admin the Parahumans IRC server.

Like, I'm not a spokesman, and I don't speak for Wildbow in any capacity, but I'm not some random idiot.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why is he self-editing, anyways? I'd have just done a Kickstarter and hired a good one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

Why is he self-editing, anyways? I'd have just done a Kickstarter and hired a good one.

He tried sourcing from Reddit.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

He tried sourcing from Reddit.

Wow, no wonder that failed. Why not negotiate with a bigger publishing company directly?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Wow, no wonder that failed. Why not negotiate with a bigger publishing company directly?

Web serials aren't mainstream enough yet (though they're getting more mainstream) for publishers to not lowball offers, so he'd be losing a big part of an already shrunken pie.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Also he has a chip on his shoulder about traditional publishing and won't accept reasonable offers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm not sure about that, but at this point I'm sifting my logs and interpreting them so I ought to stop.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 9, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't suppose anyone has any epubs of the first few volumes of Gods are Bastards? Reading all that off a PC is a bit too much for me and the best solution I could find for making them on my own to read on my ereader basically only lets me do an epub of Book 7+, which is not terribly convenient.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not exactly efficient, but you can copy the text of a chapter into a text editor, save it as a .doc file, and use a free epub converter like https://epub-maker.en.softonic.com/

To save on time you can ctrl+A to select all text on the page, shift+click immediately after the end of the chapter to cut off all the comments and such, then paste it and select all the top links to delete. I'm trying it out now and it takes 10-15 seconds per chapter, probably less as you'd get faster at it. It's probably even faster if you just dump it all into one file instead of making a separate one for each chapter like I'm trying.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I get the impression Worm is good, but what would be the top 10 web serials?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
That's really tough to answer, you can check this site for a list of what's the most popular at the moment (at least amongst that userbase I guess) or over time. Other than just looking at what's topping charts though everyone will have a different top 10 - I doubt I could even name 10 web serials I feel are worth recommending tbh.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Megazver posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any epubs of the first few volumes of Gods are Bastards? Reading all that off a PC is a bit too much for me and the best solution I could find for making them on my own to read on my ereader basically only lets me do an epub of Book 7+, which is not terribly convenient.
Were you using http://www.bloxp.com/? It requires some finagling with the advanced configuration (since as you found out, the default of doing things reverse chronological doesn't run you back to the start). Don't remember exactly what you need to do there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lurksion posted:

Were you using http://www.bloxp.com/? It requires some finagling with the advanced configuration (since as you found out, the default of doing things reverse chronological doesn't run you back to the start). Don't remember exactly what you need to do there.

Standard mode doesn't grab all the chapters, yeah. I couldn't get the advanced mode to work with the site.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not exactly efficient, but you can copy the text of a chapter into a text editor, save it as a .doc file, and use a free epub converter like https://epub-maker.en.softonic.com/

To save on time you can ctrl+A to select all text on the page, shift+click immediately after the end of the chapter to cut off all the comments and such, then paste it and select all the top links to delete. I'm trying it out now and it takes 10-15 seconds per chapter, probably less as you'd get faster at it. It's probably even faster if you just dump it all into one file instead of making a separate one for each chapter like I'm trying.

I suppose I might give this a go. Someday, when I can be arsed.

oliveoil posted:

I get the impression Worm is good, but what would be the top 10 web serials?

Megazver posted:

The poo poo I see posted most often is: Mother of Learning, Unsong, Practical Guide to Evil, The Gods are Bastards, Zombie Knight, A Hero's War.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
You forgot Ra again

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

The poo poo I see posted most often is: Mother of Learning, Unsong, Practical Guide to Evil, The Gods are Bastards, Zombie Knight, A Hero's War.
edit - and Ra

Of these, are any of them actually completed?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Ra is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, Ra is, though I wish it had ended very differently. I dislike the ending so much that I can now only recommend it begrudgingly, with a big "the ending is weird and I don't like it but the first 3/4s is good" disclaimer in front of it.

Transhuman futuretech powering a fictional recreation of real Earth was a cool twist. The author should have kept the Wheel Group as outright villains and not introduced the Real/Virtual divide because that made him write himself into the worst corner, with the only logical option being the incredibly unsatisfying destruction of Earth and the defeat of literally everyone in the story.

• Locked thread