Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Please point out any recent triple a games that have stories like this poo poo show. With these budgets and time.

Come the gently caress on you guys.

... Mass Effect Andromeda like just fuckin' came out, Norns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't need lists of garbage no one plays?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm gunna say FF15 is a better game than Mass Effect Andromeda. Got me there !

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Norns posted:

I'm gunna say FF15 is a better game than Mass Effect Andromeda. Got me there !

I will probably have more fun playing me:a than i did with ffxv

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Norns posted:

Please point out any recent triple a games that have stories like this poo poo show. With these budgets and time.

Phantom Pain wasn't exactly recent, but they certainly had the budget and time and still didn't implement the actual ending.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I will probably have more fun playing me:a than i did with ffxv

I quite enjoy the actual game parts of FF15 other than the old chaper 13. It's just the story that's a massive dumpster fire.

Mass effect seems to really be missing something. Everything really lacks impact I guess?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Norns posted:

I quite enjoy the actual game parts of FF15 other than the old chaper 13. It's just the story that's a massive dumpster fire.

Mass effect seems to really be missing something. Everything really lacks impact I guess?

Idk as long as the combat is good idc about the story or whatever tho from what I hear is its good for a laugh

The actual game parts of ffxv felt really poor to me imo. The design felt bland and uninspired to me and the combat was really loose and mushy

The ridiculousness of FFXV's story is just like the terrible icing of an already terrible cake imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

As the original sayer of this thing that was said, I would argue that both recent and triple a games having garbo stories that are incoherent are less common because storytelling has become more important as a whole to the general public

that said

MGSV, which kind of follows the trajectory FFXV did as a whole, but without the post release support for SP and attempts at making the main reason people bought it actually good.

e: Hadn't read Crappy Jack's post before posting this so that's why I'm suggesting the same game he said

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Has the patch been released?

Edit : never mind, downloading it now.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 27, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Norns posted:

The writing is incredibly lazy so that makes sense. Whereas for FFXV I wouldn't call it lazy, I think it's quite good actually, it's just incomplete.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Gladio part of Chapter 13 is alright. I don't think it's amazing or anything but it's interesting.

The way Gladio plays is kind of... eh. I think it would feel a lot better if rolls and blocks cancelled animation. That goes for Noctis gameplay too, imo.
I think the Gladio DLC is probably appropriately priced for what it's going to turn out to be, at least. It seems like it will be a nice aside from the existing game.

There definitely are a bunch of translation liberties at the end of it too. There's like 2 words said by the JP voice actors and long rear end lines of English subs.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 27, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just started playing chapter 13 with Gladius and he feels pretty great to use in my opinion. His VA is as monotonous as ever and one of Ignis's first lines is the understatement of the year.

Also lol at-
"it could be one of the Empire's 'alternative facts' "

Edit: how the heck so you actually start Episode Gladius?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Renoistic posted:

:allears:

I can't wait for people to get mad at this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I just started playing chapter 13 with Gladius and he feels pretty great to use in my opinion. His VA is as monotonous as ever and one of Ignis's first lines is the understatement of the year.

Also lol at-

Edit: how the heck so you actually start Episode Gladius?

It says it's available now but it's actually not, afaik. It goes up tomorrow I think?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It says it's available now but it's actually not, afaik. It goes up tomorrow I think?

Oh well, looking forward to it. It was fun to rip through the enemies of chapter 13 like they were made by paper.

Edit: It could be my imagination, but it feels like the movement is less spastic on the Pro, than after the 60 fps patch. They might have tweaked it a bit.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

:allears:

I can't wait for people to get mad at this.

Happened already in this thread.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

Also lol at-

Line of the year

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crappy Jack posted:

Phantom Pain wasn't exactly recent, but they certainly had the budget and time and still didn't implement the actual ending.

Konami is kind of a dumpster fire right now. The storyboard for the actual ending was completed, Konami just wanted to get the game out of the door so they could fire Kojima and get out of AAA game development. There was basically no chance for any post-release support of MGSV because a significant chunk of the people who worked on it left with Kojima when he formed his own independent studio.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about Death Stranding is that it's just as much chance of being utter garbage as it has of actually being good.

For all the flak Konami should and do get, is there any actual sign Kojima was going to finish MGSV and make an actual good story out of MGSV? 'cos adding that mission where you pop a cap in Eli on the island doesn't make the total poo poo premise good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

0/10

No new outfits for my BFs. I'll wait for GOTT :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The best thing about Death Stranding is that it's just as much chance of being utter garbage as it has of actually being good.

For all the flak Konami should and do get, is there any actual sign Kojima was going to finish MGSV and make an actual good story out of MGSV? 'cos adding that mission where you pop a cap in Eli on the island doesn't make the total poo poo premise good.

Kojima's history post-MGS1 for getting stuff out the door and on time is basically MGS3 and a portable game.

There are good games bit dear lord do not trust this man with a budget or schedule.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Sony somehow, in the midst of stroking that huge ego and giving him money and a studio where he is king, also mandated an editor with an all powerful veto where they can say "this is too expensive, ambitious and will detract from the game so no dice buddy" and that's that, Death Stranding will be good.

In the much more likely scenario where Kojima is allowed to make whatever the hell he wants with whatever Hollywood person he wants, the game will maybe make PS6 and it'll suck.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And people will love umbilical noby-noby boy with guns.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So they tweaked the way the ring works a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHLnbCkW8pk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

.... So, uh, they don't get that there's a midpoint between "kind of poo poo" and "literally oneshots everything in the game?"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wrist Watch posted:

good lord

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Literally overkill

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wrist Watch posted:

lol

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Square is competent developer

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
youtube is blocked for me at work and i will forget to check this thread in seven hours, can someone summarize. i take it that it's totally ridiculous now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

youtube is blocked for me at work and i will forget to check this thread in seven hours, can someone summarize. i take it that it's totally ridiculous now

The X-Zone equivalent in the ring now works on Adamanotise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

i see nothing wrong with this

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ImpAtom posted:

hahahahHAHAHAHAHA

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

i might go get the poo poo that lets you do this because it looks fun in a "haha what even is game balance" way

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I have no words for this :livintrope:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I gotta say I love the music choice for that video

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Phoneposting so I can't copy/paste his comment from YouTube, but there's a comment on there from him with the ring changes he's found so far.

It looks like it might have always worked on Adamanotise, it just had such a low rate of working that you were better off doing it the normal way. The patch upped proc chance overall and now makes it meaningfully scale with your magic stat so something like this with the right setup can be done in fifty tries instead of somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, given the right setup boosting your magic into the thousands range.

The holy changes are also nuts, you deal somewhere around half damage but there's apparently no recovery between casts anymore so if I'm understanding this correctly you can be functionally invincible outside of grabs and other unblockable attacks. And blinking through attacks apparently does a super powered version that deals like 15x damage, teleports you to the enemy if they're too far away, and recovers 2.5 times more mp than usual. I haven't touched the game in months but I might pop it in to clear some stuff now, maybe get the platinum. I can't see this being permanent.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is FF15 the most space-consuming game on PS4 now? After the patch it takes up a cool 60GB.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure there's some fps that breaks 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wait a second did they take away the timed quest? I didn't do it because it was available for a month :(

• Locked thread