Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Andrast posted:

Aside from Rayman there are no games in that list I'd pay more than $10 for.

The no games thing really depends on your tastes.

or the longest time the PS4 was just a Bloodborne machine for me.

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for them now either, but in 2013/early 2014 many of them were cutting edge and great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Also whether you have a PC or not. I only have a PS4, so there has been plenty to play on it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for them now either, but in 2013/early 2014 many of them were cutting edge and great.

I meant at the time. None of those games really interested me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really want to know what they were reacting to in the original picture.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Andrast posted:

I meant at the time. None of those games really interested me.

OK well congrats on not liking a wide variety of games I guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OK well congrats on not liking a wide variety of games I guess.

Not everybody likes everything.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I didn't see the No Games sentiment outside of SA. I bought a ps4 at launch to play nicer looking versions of BF4 and AC4. Tomb Raider, Infamous: SS, Injustice, Rayman Legends, Killzone and a few sports games got me through the so-called drought without ever feeling like I had nothing to play. Switch owner options are far more limited in 2017, with many third party games being years old already.

half of those games you could get on other, cheaper consoles. A bunch of people weren't/aren't interested in spending a lot of money for slightly improved graphics, and that removes half of the launch line up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS4 was one of the fastest selling consoles ever, so if people really were avoiding it because it didn't have enough games, it sure didn't show in the first year of its release.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The PS4 was one of the fastest selling consoles ever, so if people really were avoiding it because it didn't have enough games, it sure didn't show in the first year of its release.

That's kind of the point. Lack of launch games doesn't necessarily matter to a console's success.

Sure, the switch doesn't really have anything besides Zelda with a Mario Kart port and Splatoon 2 coming soon but it might not matter.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yup, quality and quantity of games at launch are not important factors, it's important to relay the correct message through naming conventions and building hype.

I'm remembering the PS2 launch games back then, they were all awful, and it still sold like hotcakes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Andrast posted:

That's kind of the point. Lack of launch games doesn't necessarily matter to a console's success.

Sure, the switch doesn't really have anything besides Zelda with a Mario Kart port and Splatoon 2 coming soon but it might not matter.

Nintendo's consoles have had a bad history with third-party titles and robust libraries since the Gamecube era, so that might contribute to people being a bit leery of the Switch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

BF4, TR2013 and AC4 weren't exactly forgettable releases though, they were all well-reviewed and popular titles with next-gen graphics that you could get on a PS4 without spending $1200 like you would for PC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

BF4, TR2013 and AC4 weren't exactly forgettable releases though, they were all well-reviewed and popular titles with next-gen graphics that you could get on a PS4 without spending $1200 like you would for PC.

All were available on previous gen consoles though.

By all accounts the switch is selling really well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah but on PS4 you could get Lara's hair rendered in beautiful TressFX, which was maybe the most important advancement in gaming over the past 20 years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Japanese have been animating hair by just a few layers of flat sheets with jagged edges since the PS1 era and I always thought it looked fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember lamenting that I couldn't afford a PS3 on release, and being hopeful that I could afford one by the time they released Kingdom Hearts III...

(I bought one of the GoW red guys for TLoU & MGR:Revengeance at the rear end end of the life cycle, it was glorious)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing Battlefield 4 on the PS4 and was blown away with it graphically and how stable the frame rate was. I still kind of am,

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I bought a ps4 just before Christmas 2015 which was the best time to buy a ps4 imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I bought a ps4 just before Christmas 2015 which was the best time to buy a ps4 imo

Same as me. The amount of games on sale in the EU store was insane.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Healbot posted:

Yup, quality and quantity of games at launch are not important factors, it's important to relay the correct message through naming conventions and building hype.

I'm remembering the PS2 launch games back then, they were all awful, and it still sold like hotcakes.

Tekken Tag Tournament was pretty great for a launch title. Blew my mind at the time, was an obvious quality jump from Ps1 gen to Ps2 next gen.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament was pretty great for a launch title. Blew my mind at the time, was an obvious quality jump from Ps1 gen to Ps2 next gen.

I'd buy another one for PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

There are 13 million wii u owners and they only made a couple million switches. It is useless to discuss switch's success until supply constraints are eased and the hardcore fans all have one.

The switch is out performing the wii because they made more at launch, it may underperform the wiiu for a while if they cant make more soon.

Its all statistical pr speak now is what im saying

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

All were available on previous gen consoles though.

The Switchs only real game is also a port.

Honestly I think more Switch users would kill for some more ports.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is the Dark Souls 3 dlc coming out tomorrow or tonight? Is there any kind of preload?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tomorrow I think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is the Dark Souls 3 dlc coming out tomorrow or tonight? Is there any kind of preload?

On PS4 it's currently preloading now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Switchs only real game is also a port.

Honestly I think more Switch users would kill for some more ports.

And? My point this whole time has been that bad launch lineups don't necessarily matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

And? My point this whole time has been that bad launch lineups don't break a console.

Who cares, as I don't think anyone was making that argument.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

:jerkbag:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Exactly

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 furious

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has any new info on the new Call of Duty set in World War 2 come to light? I saw the picture but it looks like a hoax. I don't want to get my hopes up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Love my PS4 and all but I'm hoping the rumors about Destiny 2 coming to PC are true because I'm an old man who's not about to start learning to play FPS games with a controller now.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just started World of Final Fantasy.

I really forgot what JRPGs were like, didn't I

JRPGs are good and I love that one of the opening exchanges is something like

"Are you God?"
"Hmm.. I guess I am"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finally got to and past the Proving in HZD. That sure was something. :stare:

I'm finally getting used to the controls and things are starting to feel more natural.

After coming off NieR, I felt clunky and slow in this, but I am finally pressing the right buttons to do things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think when I drilled down to an instinctive playstyle for Horizon like it was a shooter and not a melee combat game, the gameplay really clicked for me. Aloy doesn't feel clunky and slow when she is rapid-firing arrows like Hawkeye

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Throughout most of my playthrough I relied on the idea that entering melee combat meant that something had gone terribly wrong, only relaxing this in the endgame when it becomes possible to stunlock every robot smaller than an elephant with the R2 attack. Using melee against humans is never good, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Actually humans were the things I meleed the most, if you count instakill stealth strikes as melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I melee a lot in Horizon. It's really effective.