Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That marauder has a Mr. Fusion, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You did as well as you could've koolkevz, I'm surprised it took this long for the south lance to take a casualty.

Also I can't really fault tokenbrownguy for his logic, the MechWarrior games, like Hogarth movies, like to take liberties. Also tbh he's become quite the wildcard for this scenario.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

G-g-g-ghost mech!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Please let the next mission be Hogarth and his crew fighting against the Ghost Marauder. I don't care how it happens, but let it happen!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Uhhh... holy hell.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

paragon1 posted:

edit: Real shame the Zeus couldn't get hits on the Dire Wolf this turn. Dire Wolf is still up, rampaging marauder is running around, and the King Cobra finally made it to within brawling range. It is looking ugly.

Hey, I did what I figured would be removing both myself and the cobra for a turn instead of getting straight up murdered, which would be better for our lance overall. It's not my fault that suddenly

paragon1 posted:

Now it's a Saeder-Krupp run. :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

berryjon posted:

Please let the next mission be Hogarth and his crew fighting against the Ghost Marauder. I don't care how it happens, but let it happen!

We're bound due for Hogarth and his team to have the "We thought this was a movie but it's real life" thing happen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TildeATH posted:

We're bound due for Hogarth and his team to have the "We thought this was a movie but it's real life" thing happen.

"In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face someday. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a Federated Suns education might be their El Guapo. For us... El Guapo is an autonomous experimental Star League supermech with a taste for human flesh in its reactor, one that is possibly also haunted, maybe by another Cameron. Or perhaps the same one, but with a haircut." --Thomas Hogarth

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Haha holy poo poo, this update.

Green vs Black Knights!

I would strongly expect the black knight marauder to gain Ace status when "hurt" - possibly any hit to the internal structure. incidentally, that's what happens when you make dragons angry. They get pissed when wounded. And the green knight was all set up to counter this one. foreshadowing! Can't wait to see it eat some clanners for breakfast!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Hogarth Mission will live forever in our hearts, next to wrestlemania and the Demon Hawk saga.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Artificer posted:

the King Cobra finally made it to within brawling range.
I have to admit I'm just as excited as the King Cobra pilot is about that mace coming into play.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

"In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face someday. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a Federated Suns education might be their El Guapo. For us... El Guapo is an autonomous experimental Star League supermech with a taste for human flesh in its reactor, one that is possibly also haunted, maybe by another Cameron. Or perhaps the same one, but with a haircut." --Thomas Hogarth

Rich Garces, terror of the Inner Sphere!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I dubb the black marauder Aku, mechshifting master of evil. Long live aku!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Xarbala posted:

"I used to idolize you, but then I learned about movie tricks, camera angles, quick cuts, ghost heat."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Holy poo poo it's Event Horizon: the 'Mech.

Not emptyquoting this. :unsmigghh:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Night10194 posted:

Well, someone woke up the Eva and this ain't a Hogarth picture this time.

Hey man, I was the Eva in that Hogarth mission, and this poo poo has nothing on the Banshee I piloted, even if mine could go ZA BEASTO and Berzerk out, complete with biting mouth. I mean, mine didn't eat an Astech for reaction mass, as far as I know.

Man, Saeder-Krupp has the best (read: worst) black projects, the Azzies notwithstanding. Wonder how far Mitsuhama and that one division of Ares trying to weaponize insect spirits will have to go in order to catch up with LowfyrCorp now. Hans Brackhaus is gonna be pissed if you guys wind up destroying that cyberzombie Marauder. Never go negative essence, and never make a deal with a dragon(Corp).

When PTN previewed this update, I had no idea that the thing he hinted at there would be the second most shocking thing is update, though shooting a downed and crippled Clanner that had a slim chance of regaining consciousness and enraging the rest of that Cloud Cobra Star enough for them to break Zell against you was not something that I was expecting to happen at all. Wonder what led to that decision...

EDIT:

Tarezax posted:

Over the comms, a guttural cry of rage rings out.

Only one intelligible word is heard:

"AAAAAAAARRRRTHUUUUUUURRRRRR"
Huh, just got this. Never thought I'd ever see a Fate/Zero ref in this thread. But it does really fit the Black Marauder being Berzerkerlot, and we just need to run out it's power/mana supply, which happens to come from ripping a person apart internally. Just hope he doesn't go to town with an Arondlight or Knight of Honor equivalent in the interim. Too bad we don't have a mech Saber clone to have him focus on to keep him busy to drain his power supply with.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 27, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The pilot already said what lead to that decision. He thought the mechs blew up for AoE damage like in the mechwarrior games. Using a mech as an exploding barrel in a shooter seems fair enough if you didn't know the rules worked differently.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

The pilot already said what lead to that decision. He thought the mechs blew up for AoE damage like in the mechwarrior games. Using a mech as an exploding barrel in a shooter seems fair enough if you didn't know the rules worked differently.

Whoops, I saw that post and forgot that he said why. My bad.

TheParadigm posted:

Green vs Black Knights!

I would strongly expect the black knight marauder to gain Ace status when "hurt" - possibly any hit to the internal structure. incidentally, that's what happens when you make dragons angry. They get pissed when wounded. And the green knight was all set up to counter this one. foreshadowing! Can't wait to see it eat some clanners for breakfast!

It already is an Ace according to it's pilot status box in it's unit card.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 27, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah, I hosed up.

Running to 1721 and turning to face 1820 would be 2 piloting checks too many for my taste. I could jump to 1720 and try to go out in a blaze of glory.

But if I jump to 1720 and refrain from firing literally everything I could jump into cover next turn to cool off, assuming I don't overdo things and shutdown. 9 current + 9(Engine+4 jump)= 18 heat before firing, 2 medium pulse lasers for heat two next turn. 3 Lasers to be as bad off as I am now at heat 6. No point in risking shut down at just heat 10 so I could go for as many as 5 medium lasers.

Jumping and shooting a bunch is out, too many negative modifiers. Might jump to 1720 and shoot 2 medium lasers anyway just to be in a better position to shoot or scoot next turn.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the way this played out made me wonder if the missing pilot that vanished is named Shinji or whatever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

Cant wait to see how ptn justifies it in the fluff!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, is definitely suggest not wasting time shooting the Marauder. You guys have average/bad gunnery to start with, and it has the low profile quirk so it's even harder to hit. Just run from it and hope it decides to eat clanners instead.

You might still be screwed if the clans focus fire you to death now, but not quite as badly as if the Warhawk was still alive.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Aces everywhere and nobody cares about Zell any more... I think the time for standing still is well over. Should I (Banshee) run NW and shoot the Dire Wolf some more?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Since the Marauder rolls for targets randomly out of those it can see, but it will only be around for 5 rounds (right?) it seems it would be best to try and kite it into a big group of people to lessen the chances of it focusing fire on any one unit for too long. And if it happens to take some heavy PPC shots at the Clans, all the better. Why must you betray us, Kharn-mech? :argh:

[EDIT]

habituallyred posted:

Yeah, I hosed up.

And I wouldn't worry about this. You had a good reason at the time, based on the information you had. This is definitely a "happy little accident" style mistake, where you've made the mission much more interesting. It's still just a game, afterall.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 27, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

pun pundit posted:

Aces everywhere and nobody cares about Zell any more...

Oh, they still do. They were just providing some strong negative feedback to shooting unconscious pilots.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Look if that clanner was a real winner he wouldn't have been unconscious anyways, no sense in having weaklings in the clan. He was doing them a service.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Look if that clanner was a real winner he wouldn't have been unconscious anyways, no sense in having weaklings in the clan. He was doing them a service.

Counterpoint: being known as someone who shoots downed pilots is a great way to get yourself "accidentally" stepped on someday.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: being known as someone who shoots downed pilots is a great way to get yourself "accidentally" stepped on someday.

Just like the CapCon! Except replace accidentally with repeatedly, and someday with everyday. :china:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also those feet will be on fire.

Why? Why not.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mcjomar posted:

Honestly, the way this played out made me wonder if the missing pilot that vanished is named Shinji or whatever.

Since this is an S-K black project, I would've thought the pilot being Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu would be more likely, what with her being German and whatnot, but she hung herself after going crazy in the Eva, right? The pilot is at least an Ikari, going off of the circumstances, I guess.

Zaodai posted:

Why must you betray us, Kharn-mech? :argh:

Because Kharn the Betrayer is a pretty cool guy? Though the Marauder is black, not red and it doesn't have enough spiky bits on its armor to be Kharn, not to mention not having Gorehowl to swing around...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The fact that the downed Wyvren wasn't marked as out on previous unit cards (name still white) made me think it was a valid target too, whether or not it could've been a cool exploding barrel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It was still a valid target; PTN was rolling for consciousness checks every turn.

But it was not a wise target, for the reasons already explained.

And, while I can understand the desire to make it explode, it would have been a great idea to actually ask in the thread "will it explode" or even mention in the shared doc to the other players "planning on blowing up the downed mech."

But bygones, it's happened, move on. I'll be interested in seeing how the clanners react. Do they understand that thing came from their own facility?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Little Richard's Panzer Brigade used to do poo poo like that. Then they lost a fight and tried to raise the flag of surrender. Killed to a man.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you're going to shoot the wounded, why would they even bother surrendering? Fight to the end. :black101:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, so it seem to me the obvious course of action for Team South is to bail the gently caress out and put distance between yourselves and the Ghost Marauder. With luck, it'll start shooting the Clanners instead of you and that'll be fun to watch. I realize that since you're a Steiner Recon Lance, that's easier said than done and you may have to eat a turn or two of fire to do it, but I think it's still the best way to complete the secondary objective. Just make sure to keep shooting the Clanners as you run away!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of lostech, something I've been wondering. In the initial pitch of BT there were very few factories capable of still producing full mechs and most were salvaged or constantly patched up heirlooms, right? Obviously that's been long since moved past for a lot of reasons, but I'm curious how easy it is to recover and repair a mech that loses its gyros or has its engine shut down by battle damage. When our pilots are getting shot down and ejecting, is the general assumption that their side will recover and be able to repair their rides if they hold the field?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

Speaking of lostech, something I've been wondering. In the initial pitch of BT there were very few factories capable of still producing full mechs and most were salvaged or constantly patched up heirlooms, right? Obviously that's been long since moved past for a lot of reasons, but I'm curious how easy it is to recover and repair a mech that loses its gyros or has its engine shut down by battle damage. When our pilots are getting shot down and ejecting, is the general assumption that their side will recover and be able to repair their rides if they hold the field?

Yeah, `Mechs are tough and the only thing they really have difficulty duplicating is the DI Computer (which has never taken up a critical slot). `Mechs are usually recoverable unless they're intentionally left to rot, and even if they are a good tech crew can still get them going once they get pulled off the seabed or dug out of whatever sand dune they were lost in.

One of the Caballero Jenners was so old the tech crews joked that it was the first one ever produced, and had had so many replacement parts over the years it didn't have any of the original bits left. Half of that is the chief astech messing with the head technician, but it's just plausible enough that it might be true, which is something I love about the setting.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What are the consequences of running through a square with a dead 'mech in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Before factories started coming back up, a 'mech with a dead fusion engine was usually scrap, a 'mech without a CT is always scrap because AFAIK you can't fix that. You get a new 'mech and place some of the old bits on it instead.

With the factories coming back, there's spare fusion engines going around so anything short of CT being completely destroyed is repairable.

• Locked thread