Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tunicate posted:

You forgot one thing in that analysis.

Arcanine is legendary.

good dog :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I was looking through the sage wiki to look at all the other amazing pokemon designs and found something pretty funny. Now granted, the devs said they are reworking this ability.

Meet this guy:

This is his original ability:

He learns Reversal

Good thing they caught that. :allears:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
You know, I got a question.

Why does the Pokemon universe need nuclear energy? Are there not enough electric types in existence? Did the Pikachu union go on strike? If a power plant meltdown makes all wildlife in the area go hostile and bloodthirsty, shouldn't that be the sign to stick with the safe methods? Does this region not believe in geothermal/hydro/wind turbines?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

LEGO Genetics posted:

Why does the Pokemon universe need nuclear energy? Are there not enough electric types in existence? Did the Pikachu union go on strike? If a power plant meltdown makes all wildlife in the area go hostile and bloodthirsty, shouldn't that be the sign to stick with the safe methods? Does this region not believe in geothermal/hydro/wind turbines?

They would use nuclear over geothermal/hydro/wind for the same reason people do in the real world.

As for using Pikachu or whatever as a power source, that depends on if Pokemon obey conservation of energy. If they do then that's pretty pointless and wasteful. If they don't then hey, maybe they did unionize.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also the question of how much power they can output.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Outside of ridiculous pokeverse reactors, nuclear kills less people than the other sources you mentioned

That and I imagine pokeverse probably has issues with pissed off pokemon the moment you build a dam and start flooding a lake for hydroelectric generation. Even odds that all these meltdowns are being caused by a legendary pokemon.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The real games only show ambiguous power plants or solar/wind afaik, but these are the same games that barely put thought into how non-trainers get from point A to point B without fighting off hordes of Pokemon. Realistically you would need more than geothermal/hydro/wind unless the Pokeworld uses a lot less electricity than we do(doubtful, since everything is so high-tech) or its technology makes those plants output a lot more electricity than real world ones(more plausible).

And the only time Pokemon have been used for energy is by the bad guys, like Johto Team Rocket using a bunch of Electrode for power.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

The real games only show ambiguous power plants or solar/wind afaik, but these are the same games that barely put thought into how non-trainers get from point A to point B without fighting off hordes of Pokemon. Realistically you would need more than geothermal/hydro/wind unless the Pokeworld uses a lot less electricity than we do(doubtful, since everything is so high-tech) or its technology makes those plants output a lot more electricity than real world ones(more plausible).

And the only time Pokemon have been used for energy is by the bad guys, like Johto Team Rocket using a bunch of Electrode for power.

Considering Matsuda has said before that he likes to make the Pokemon world an idealized version of the near future to try and inspire kids, I'm pretty sure the Pokemon universe is all clean energy and this works because idealism.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 28, 2017

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

hopeandjoy posted:

Considering Matsuda has said before that he likes to make the Pokemon world an idealized version of the new feature to try and inspire kids, I'm pretty sure the Pokemon universe is all clean energy and this works because idealism.

Boo! Hiss! Where is my grimdark!? Where is the world we deserve not the one we should dream for!? Does he want dreamers or the broken-down realists we should all strive to be!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

There's nothing 'clean' about the power plant in X/Y :mad:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

quote:

Amatree is so remote it doesn't have power. This is really stupid and serves useful purpose.

should there be a 'no' there?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ZeroCount posted:

There's nothing 'clean' about the power plant in X/Y :mad:
Aren't all the branches of it (most of which we don't get to go inside because apparently cut content) supposed to be different types of renewable energy? I remember reading something about that in the art gallery.

Like there's a geothermal plant in there somewhere and that was going to be where Volcanion came from.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Aren't all the branches of it (most of which we don't get to go inside because apparently cut content) supposed to be different types of renewable energy? I remember reading something about that in the art gallery.

Like there's a geothermal plant in there somewhere and that was going to be where Volcanion came from.

Yeah there was three different plants doing different things out in the desert but you only ever go into one of them. One pre-release screenshot had pretty distinct like lava pools, iirc.

I get the feeling the lava plant was repurosed for SM because god drat does someone on the staff love it so much. There is like no reason to go up to the power plant but this did not stop them from putting unique, informative flavor text on everything inside explaining how it works. I

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

No it's not clean because it's a bad area.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Tunicate posted:

That and I imagine pokeverse probably has issues with pissed off pokemon the moment you build a dam and start flooding a lake for hydroelectric generation. Even odds that all these meltdowns are being caused by a legendary pokemon.

That was literally a plot point in the first season of the anime, with the Pokemon attacking a dam because it was going to flood their home.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Building projects must have a hell of a time getting approved in the pokemon world. Much harder to clear a bit of forest for something when that forest is infested with the tree-ghosts of dead children.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

ZeroCount posted:

Building projects must have a hell of a time getting approved in the pokemon world. Much harder to clear a bit of forest for something when that forest is infested with the tree-ghosts of dead children.

There was also a movie where a pokemon flat out erased a city he didn't like from the time stream. Humans live on sufferance in poke world.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 28, 2017

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
If the series were a bit less idealized Pokemon would be the most terrifying setting.

Come to think of it I kind of want to see that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hammurabi posted:

If the series were a bit less idealized Pokemon would be the most terrifying setting.

Congratulations, that's the sort of mindset that gives us "Nuclear Pokemon".

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

krisslanza posted:

That was literally a plot point in the first season of the anime, with the Pokemon attacking a dam because it was going to flood their home.

Thanks a lot, now I have "diglet DIG, diglet DIG, TRIO TRIO TRIO" stuck in my head all over again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks a lot, now I have "diglet DIG, diglet DIG, TRIO TRIO TRIO" stuck in my head all over again.

Count yourself lucky if it hasn't been stuck in your head for every single day of the past twenty years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Added Space posted:

There was also a movie where a pokemon flat out erased a city he didn't like from the time stream. Humans live on sufferance in poke world.

Don't humans have pseudolegendary stats? I think they're in a couple fights in the film event in black and white

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tunicate posted:

Don't humans have pseudolegendary stats? I think they're in a couple fights in the film event in black and white

The film studio stuff is, as the purpose of the minigame, scripted as hell. The actors have the stats they need to survive X scenes against the average Pokemon with, I imagine, little else thought put in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCsayJJg4iQ

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tunicate posted:

That's done with greenscreen.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not every setting needs to be grimdark gritty. Pokemon does not need grimdark gritty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Have you seen how many waterfalls there are in Pokemon games? One or two off-screen hydroelectric plants, and they could power the loving sun.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

That's just the number six

actually, it's a giraffe getting head

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

actually, it's a giraffe getting head

The internet makes you stupid

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hammurabi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I do want to say how mad I am how each of these nuclear power plants keep exploding spectacularly. NUCLEAR POWER DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I do want to say how mad I am how each of these nuclear power plants keep exploding spectacularly. NUCLEAR POWER DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY :argh:

But nuclear bombs explode, surely nuclear power plants are just very slow bombs. It's only sensible! :eng99:

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016

Hammurabi posted:

Origin of Species toys with this concept, and isn't a terrible read if you can stand Rat!Fic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Nuclear Power Plant uses Self-Destruct! It's not very effective...

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Leon Cross posted:

Origin of Species toys with this concept, and isn't a terrible read if you can stand Rat!Fic.

tell me more about your pokemon fanfiction

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tunicate posted:

You forgot one thing in that analysis.

Arcanine is legendary.

and he knows it too justt look at that face

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TWIST FIST posted:

and he knows it too justt look at that face
Now I wanna see :smugcanine:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Now I wanna see :smugcanine:

:smugdog:?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Leon Cross posted:

And by Rat!Fic, he means fanfic by people who think the HPMoR guy is a good author. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Ha! Yeah. Pretty much. It's the same as everything else. 99% of it is poo poo. It just happens to be coupled with ego and superiority of people that seem to think their stuff is objectively better (HPMoR... Blergh). The 1% isn't not poo poo because it's Rat!fic, dudes. It's not poo poo that just happens to fall into that category.

I personally found OoS to be acceptable reading, but your mileage may vary.

• Locked thread