Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HERE WeGo and Downloaded maps for those times you have no signal :worship:

I dunno how it does what it does but I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I agree that Waze is far superior, but having Carplay outweighs it IMO. I dream of the day Waze will be supported on Carplay. It won't ever be

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Can you share how? I haven't noticed anything specific with the watch. I recently started using Apple Maps since I got Carplay to work correctly in my vehicle. Interested to see how I could be using it better.

It keeps your next turn on the screen, but more importantly starts tapping like a turn signal when you have a turn coming up. So you can use the nav without sound or a screen on if you want.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It keeps your next turn on the screen, but more importantly starts tapping like a turn signal when you have a turn coming up. So you can use the nav without sound or a screen on if you want.

Ah, I think I turned that off when it only started the tap when I was maybe two seconds before a turn. Had I relied on that I would be swerving all over the place to make my turn, came in way too late. Also, the way my hands are positioned in my car it's very awkward to view the watch screen unless I keep consciously turning my wrist to look at it, rather than looking at the convenient screen right in front of me.

Glad I'm not missing anything big, I think that feature would be good while walking or biking though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If I'm going somewhere I'm not familiar with and it's a long trip, I'll check both Apple Maps and Google Maps. They give the same directions but every once in a while they'll both give weird directions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Michael Scott posted:

You can't lock north-up mode which keeps me from ever using it. North-up rules.

Seriously who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make it so slightly pinching the map rotates it

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I tried to trust Apple Maps, but it still gave me a headache the last time I tried to use it (about a year ago). I had to pick up a friend somewhere, she texted me the address, and it automatically pulled up in Apple Maps. Which led me to a spot that turned out to be a couple of miles away and also on the wrong road. So I had to pull into a parking lot somewhere and manually type it into Google Maps (couldn't copy & paste either, tapping the message just relaunched Apple Maps) so I could find her.

I wind up using Google Maps if it's some place I've never been, and Waze if I'm going to or from work and just care about avoiding traffic. It would be nice to get the watch notifications, but I'd rather make sure I actually get where I'm trying to go.

And music-wise I just dump my iTunes library onto the phone, 90% of what I'm listening to when I'm driving isn't on the iTunes store as far as I know. Plus there are a number of dead spots along my usual drive, and I don't want to deal with it cutting out if I'm streaming.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TraderStav posted:

I agree that Waze is far superior, but having Carplay outweighs it IMO. I dream of the day Waze will be supported on Carplay. It won't ever be

They will at some point because their corporate masters will decide they want the live GPS trace of Apple users as well and direct them to implement.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Does your car have apps outside of Carplay? There's a small chance Waze could come to some systems outside of Android Auto / Carplay:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170227005710/en/SDL-Puts-Waze-Navigation-ParkU-Honeywell-Home

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

~Coxy posted:

They will at some point because their corporate masters will decide they want the live GPS trace of Apple users as well and direct them to implement.

It's my understanding that Apple hasn't released the ability to use GPS in Carplay. I could be wrong on that though.

The Dave posted:

Does your car have apps outside of Carplay? There's a small chance Waze could come to some systems outside of Android Auto / Carplay:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170227005710/en/SDL-Puts-Waze-Navigation-ParkU-Honeywell-Home

It does, but Honda has forgotten about any development for them. I wouldn't hold my breath at all. There's some people who have rooted their headunit and got it to work but I'm not a big fan of messing with that.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Unfortunately Music.app is the only way I can get my car to start displaying artist/track title/album, so I have to open some song in Music.app first, then pause it and open Spotify and it'll work with Spotify. But if I go right from starting my car to opening Spotify or Google Music or anything else, it just says "No Title" for everything which annoys the gently caress out of me.

My car's a 2015 Honda. It shouldn't be that dumb but it is.

Same with my 2015 Ford Focus. I switched to Amazon Prime Music so I just deleted Music.app from my phone completely. Hooked my phone to my car and it said no music available. I had to re download music and add one song to it. Now I plug in my phone and it starts that same song every time, and I have to manually start up Amazon Prime Music instead. Annoying.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Same with my 2015 Ford Focus. I switched to Amazon Prime Music so I just deleted Music.app from my phone completely. Hooked my phone to my car and it said no music available. I had to re download music and add one song to it. Now I plug in my phone and it starts that same song every time, and I have to manually start up Amazon Prime Music instead. Annoying.

Yo, have you updated your Sync? Lots of bug fixes, and you should be using Bluetooth instead of the USB connection, that usually works better for me.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TVs Ian posted:

And music-wise I just dump my iTunes library onto the phone, 90% of what I'm listening to when I'm driving isn't on the iTunes store as far as I know. Plus there are a number of dead spots along my usual drive, and I don't want to deal with it cutting out if I'm streaming.
I do the same for more or less the same reasons. Shame that maybe 1% of my library just seems to not sync. It's in my list of songs, but when I try to play them they just skip to the next track. Re-syncing doesn't fit it. I'm near tempted to get iTunes Match just to then see if it'll download all my music for offline use that way.

I'm sure I remember a time when iTunes was goodless bad.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Still problem-free over here in my 2005 Civic with $20 Bluetooth FM transmitter

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Yo, have you updated your Sync? Lots of bug fixes, and you should be using Bluetooth instead of the USB connection, that usually works better for me.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

I have. And Bluetooth doesn't show album art.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I have. And Bluetooth doesn't show album art.

That is true! I didn't realize that because I have the poverty spec sync with no color screen. Bummer man.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use a combination of Apple, Google, and Waze. Mostly Waze, however. If I'm going to Tahoe, I check all 3. Somehow, Apple seems to be tied into CalTrans a little bit better and has road closures quicker than the other 2. But yeah, usually I'm usually about 80% Waze, 15% Google, 5% Apple.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Quantum of Phallus posted:

HERE WeGo and Downloaded maps for those times you have no signal :worship:

I dunno how it does what it does but I love it

Seconding this. Did a road trip on the West Coast for three weeks last year. HERE WeGo worked like a charm and didn't eat any of my precious tourist sim data.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TraderStav posted:

Ah, I think I turned that off when it only started the tap when I was maybe two seconds before a turn.

Glad I'm not missing anything big, I think that feature would be good while walking or biking though.
The tap is just like the second voice prompt, it's 1/4 mile before the turn while driving. Which isn't a lot of time sometimes, yeah.

And yes that feature is great if you find yourself walking in a large city you've never (or not often) been in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 10.3 is out:

Also updates the file system to APFS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

still no dark mode, loving hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why the gently caress would you want to listen to a podcast in an iMessage

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So how do you explain APFS to people? "It's a whole new file system, which is the way it looks at files... It's not backwards compatible but it should be faster!"

IS It faster? I'm an enthusiast and even I am holding off on upgrading. I'm expecting posts in the thread like "I downloaded the update and nothing works now"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't bother, just say it'll keep the NSA off their dick pics and if that doesn't trigger a reaction let the live their life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You don't explain it to people because why would you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You don't explain it to people because why would you?

When I was in a book store back in the last century when people still bought books some old dude trapped me in the computer section and wanted me to explain how the computer got data off a hard drive.

Not like.. drivers and connectors and stuff. He wanted it detailed at the magnetic level.

So some people do care!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just updated to 10.3 on a 7.

Shut down/restarts are much faster.

iCloud settings moved down into another sunken menu.

New graphical chart of what's being stored in iCloud is neat.

Awful crashed once but now is humming along.

Overall, seems.. snappier.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

Still problem-free over here in my 2005 Civic with $20 Bluetooth FM transmitter

The day I'm not plugging in via aux cord to my Civic will be a weird one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Changing file systems seems like a pretty big deal.

I'll wait for the x.1 release that fixes the "minor bug" that deletes all my dick pics and other important documents from iCloud.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Works flawlessly for me.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Finally I can get my loving cricket scores

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Updated to 10.3 on my 7.

Airpods find function works pretty good and its nice and loud when they are out of the case with the volume increasing over time.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it also nags you to enable 2FA now which is fantastic news for security

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How hard is it to get siri to work with Spotify? That would make siri like 30% more useful

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Two subpar apps.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I want

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it also nags you to enable 2FA now which is fantastic news for security

Except when they don't actually offer it in the country you live in!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cryptoclastic posted:

I want

Except when they don't actually offer it in the country you live in!

i use the option that generates codes on any of my other devices for the login i am making, not sure if there is another way of using it using phone numbers you may be having trouble with

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i use the option that generates codes on any of my other devices for the login i am making, not sure if there is another way of using it using phone numbers you may be having trouble with

I'll try that out and test it while I'm around the house I guess. I'm not exactly sure how it works so I'm worried about how it would go if I only had my phone on me.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Def noticing some pop (perceptible UI smoothness) on my SE that I havent seen since I took it out the box. I have a work 7 so that thing just turbos along.

E: Hey, the apps settings have disappeared! I thought there were under root settings at the bottom of the screen?

E2: Never mind they popped back in. Really weird ui bug.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

namaste faggots posted:

How hard is it to get siri to work with Spotify? That would make siri like 30% more useful

Wait. Wait wait wait. Does 10.3 make it so I can say to Siri, play Drake and it will, even if Spotify is my music app?