Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The art on the black zombies is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just realized that the punch card has brick counters, probably implying more cards will use them? That's a pretty neat theme, of building up structures.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, it's a big flavour hit.

If they turn out any good, I might have to figure out a BG Constructor deck. :downsrim:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just realized that the punch card has brick counters, probably implying more cards will use them? That's a pretty neat theme, of building up structures.

This is it, we've finally reached Starcraft Magic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

InterrupterJones posted:

Maybe; but as long as they didn't print anything like those 1 cost cycle lands from Onslaught, I don't see it being too powerful. Standard has plenty of enchantment hate anyway.

Come on ten common cycling dual lands....

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

I bet SaffronOlive's already brewing up something janky with this, snake and Paradox Engine.

I can't tell if this is a nombo with Sensei's or not.

Yeah i already see a big eldrazi deck runnin this, i just cant tell if this is better or worse than marvel for exploitability.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's really slow, but I guess you can untap it with... Mobile Garrison? :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get is why they don't just transform the embalmed creature. Why does it have to be a token? Would it be too strong with bounce/flicker effects?

Because they don't want you to recur the card and they don't want to print DFCs. They aren't an evergreen or "deciduous" mechanic.

There are bespoke tokens for all of them, so this is fact far easier than printing up DFCs.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

What I want more than anything is for someone to win a major tournament by Flinging Ulamog.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Gravedigger and Giant Spider :unsmith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

Come on ten common cycling dual lands....

This would be amazing. Hybrid cycling?!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Gravedigger and Giant Spider :unsmith:
I was looking at the starter decks a bit closer and there's a bunch of cards that show up with the Modern border instead of the M15 one. Either they're throwing in whatever scraps they've got lying around, or they're reprinting Garruk's Horde in Amonkhet.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 27, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Why is Jackal its own creature type now?

I mean it's not a completely indefensible idea in a vacuum but after 20 years of hounds maybe consistency is a virtue

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Zedruu style goat minotaurs confirmed hell yeah.

Also give me more cycling 2 cards, gotta update my Fluctuator legacy deck :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

cool white zombies

aw yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0E0ynyIUsg

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

List of unmentioned reprints:
  • Stormfront Pegasus
  • Glory Seeker (well duh)
  • Coral Merfolk
  • Stealer of Secrets
  • Inspiration
  • Tricks of the Trade
  • Bloodhunter Bat
  • Garruk's Horde
  • Stalking Tiger
  • Stampeding Rhino
  • Wing Snare

JerryLee posted:

Why is Jackal its own creature type now?

I mean it's not a completely indefensible idea in a vacuum but after 20 years of hounds maybe consistency is a virtue
All the jackals in the game are Hounds. All the hyenas are Hyenas.

Edit: Oh wait you mean the Tattered Zombie. That's weird.

Edit2: Oh wait maybe it's so that the Jackal God cares about it.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is it, we've finally reached Starcraft Magic

Good thematic tie-in with Stargate explanations for mastercraft inserts for maximum 90s nostalgia, imo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Flashback, but with creatures seems kind of lame. Would have preferred just to have flashback on spells.

unearth was a cool mechanic, and this is unearth where the creature sticks around (but no haste, which is sad but understandable)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
but the non-coming back of mummy creature type makes me sad...but it's also understandable since zombie has so many tribal things

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mummy should be a job type like Soldier. Zombie mummy!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

but the non-coming back of mummy creature type makes me sad...but it's also understandable since zombie has so many tribal things

Yeah but in white?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

St0rmD posted:

Yeah but in white?

actually, yes, there were a few white zombies in some old block like 15 years ago

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

actually, yes, there were a few white zombies in some old block like 15 years ago

None of them are not also black though, these should be the first mono-white zombies.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm assuming there will be plenty of non-white creatures with embalm too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cactrot posted:

None of them are not also black though, these should be the first mono-white zombies.

i was kinda kidding, i highly doubt Oddesey (i think that was the block but i'm probably wrong) actually influenced anything in Amonkhet design

that being said, i like zombies branching out into pure white, altho if it's just for embalm tokens i'll be disappointed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
buy your copies of Loam today, sell them for 20$ when they print cycle lands in modern!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Alaan posted:

Mummy should be a job type like Soldier. Zombie mummy!

"These single mummy homes are ruining amonkhet's youth. Everyone knows our young need both a mummy and a daddy." -Nicol Bolas on his daily talk radio show

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

I searched on Gatherer, and there are 4 White Zombies, all of them Black/White (either gold, or hybrid), and none of them have any synergy with other zombies or any really compelling effects that a zombie deck would really need.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PJOmega posted:

"These single mummy homes are ruining amonkhet's youth. Everyone knows our young need both a mummy and a daddy." -Nicol Bolas on his daily talk radio show

:eyepop: Wow, we know Nicol Bolas is evil but not THAT evil.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
That 5-mana dragon is really good against Gideon if people can find a shell for it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

St0rmD posted:

I searched on Gatherer, and there are 4 White Zombies, all of them Black/White (either gold, or hybrid), and none of them have any synergy with other zombies or any really compelling effects that a zombie deck would really need.

oooh i misunderstood you initially, i thought you just meant "zombies being white" not "zombies having tribal payoff in white". which is what i implied so it's on me for being a dummie there

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

oooh i misunderstood you initially, i thought you just meant "zombies being white" not "zombies having tribal payoff in white". which is what i implied so it's on me for being a dummie there

Yeah that. I also looked for white cards with rules text "zombie" and all of it was hate for zombies.

I mean, maybe some new card from this set will unlock a new White Zombie Astrocreep 3000 deck in some format somewhere, but it seems like a longshot to pull the tribe out of its current black/blue universe.

Kind of an interesting design choice, flavor-wise though. I do like when these top-down design sets come along with cool flavor-reasons to pull colors into new directions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cool mechanics, but I don't like the idea of a dozen unique tokens, in terms of practical paper play.

The labels are an inelegant solution (more game objects that aren't cards), but better than none.

--
I hope we get that colorless cycling land from one of the supplementary products (also great with delirium).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Cool mechanics, but I don't like the idea of a dozen unique tokens, in terms of practical paper play.

The labels are an inelegant solution (more game objects that aren't cards), but better than none.

--
I hope we get that colorless cycling land from one of the supplementary products (also great with delirium).

I need so many Ash Barrens for paper Pauper decks, and the art is great, so that'd be a great addition.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

--

If the revealed token is any indication, the embalmed creatures are essentially the same but are zombies in addition to their other creature types and don't have a mana cost. The price for that is a giant stack of different tokens or some other indication that the creature is a token. I look forward to those issues at pre-release.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a smaller than usual number of other token generators to make room for the embalm cards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

According to the collection number, Amonkhet has 25 tokens (and emblems). MM 2017 has 21.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Also a psa, I imagine relentless dead is about to get some heavy speculation due to the zombie theme. I would point to drana spikes in recent memory.

If for some reason you just love zombies and haven't bought them yet this is the last time a playset is going to cost you less than 20 bucks for a while. I don't know if its even going to be good if zombies are good due to the double black but who knows. If you own some I would keep them in a sleeve and trade them bitches when it spikes at 20.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

--

The reason why they work this way is because if you tried to implement them as actually returning cards to play you run into a lot of unintended synergy, e.g. you're basically putting Flashback on creatures (that is exactly what Embalm is) but the main difference is that since Flashback only appears on cards that can't become permanents and by rule exile themselves when cast for Flashback, there's not a ton of space for looping bullshit.

The way they've implemented Embalm retains a lot of the Flashback characteristics in that it makes a permanent without giving you a ton of ground for recurrence bullshit (which is the primary concern with putting Flashback on a creature). This solution doesn't synergise with Emerge upon reanimation (meaning you can emerge the base creature, but not the reanimated version), doesn't interact with Prized Amalgam, and doesn't let you flicker cards for value.

It's a mechanic that has a lot of potential to break and this solution, while not the most elegant answer in the world, prevents a LOT of shenanigans.

Sickening posted:

Also a psa, I imagine relentless dead is about to get some heavy speculation due to the zombie theme. I would point to drana spikes in recent memory.

If for some reason you just love zombies and haven't bought them yet this is the last time a playset is going to cost you less than 20 bucks for a while. I don't know if its even going to be good if zombies are good due to the double black but who knows. If you own some I would keep them in a sleeve and trade them bitches when it spikes at 20.

...why would it? Relentless Dead has no inherent synergy with Embalm.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

quote:

It's got that whole undead thing going on, so it's a Zombie in addition to whatever creature types it used to have. You'll find lots of ways to take advantage of its new Zombiehood, I'm sure. And now that it's all service, all the time and doesn't care about whatever it was it cared about while alive, it's white instead of whatever color it used to be.

Heh, the White Zombie set. Does every box come with a single of More Human than Human?

• Locked thread