Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

She's revealing things to us as the player what she learns "offscreen" in the library. "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

I've been foggy on what what exactly all the sources of her knowledge are. Does she pick up that 9S knows from the library? Because she also knows a ton more thanks to 2B's memories and if she learned that specific bit from 2B that suggests some other facts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think she implied that as something like how he always ends up forming a close bond with 2B. It's something that "carries over" somehow.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think she implied that as something like how he always ends up forming a close bond with 2B. It's something that "carries over" somehow.

I think you are probably right but I'd prefer it if it isn't carried over and he just falls for her/gets close to her every time naturally without an overriding force that carries over so I will just pretend it's like that

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SHISHKABOB posted:

My point is more that if she learned that from 2B, it means 2B already knew that 9S was in the know of what she was.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

I think you are probably right but I'd prefer it if it isn't carried over and he just falls for her/gets close to her every time naturally without an overriding force that carries over so I will just pretend it's like that

Well I mean it's not like his entire character is erased. I don't think I made the right interpretation, idk.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mindblast posted:

I've been foggy on what what exactly all the sources of her knowledge are. Does she pick up that 9S knows from the library? Because she also knows a ton more thanks to 2B's memories and if she learned that specific bit from 2B that suggests some other facts as well.

I'm sure some of it is from 2B, but the timing of the cut out of the library for A2 with 9S learning "the truth" from the machine AI kind of implies to me that "2B knows that 9S gets too nosy and needs to be killed every once in awhile for reasons but she probably isn't explicitly told the reasons", but basically every reason/detail/historical 9S death is stored in the machine library, possibly along with the fact that the machine AI literally just handed this info to the current 9S.

But as I said, the layers of conspiracy and who knows what get a little confusing at that point in the game, especially since there's a hell of a lot the characters find out/know that the players aren't told-- pretty much any time the player gets a document that's "Table of Contents", the characters are implied to get the full contents of that document, and we only get to find out what they choose to monologue about in the moment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SHISHKABOB posted:

maybe he's just programmed to be thirsty so he's guaranteed to form a bond with whatever E-model they happen to assign to him

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

maybe he's just programmed to be thirsty so he's guaranteed to form a bond with whatever E-model they happen to assign to him

I mean he does look like a teenage boy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

C route library the thing A2 learned from that book is added as intel without a notification. It's just about the E models being based off of A2 due to her performance at pearl harbor. There's nothing about 9S.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

In a stunning turn of events YoRHa command never saw coming, the latest iteration of 9S is actually not an rear end-man and is indifferent towards 2B and instead has a crush on the Commander

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

In a stunning turn of events YoRHa command never saw coming, the latest iteration of 9S is actually not an rear end-man and is indifferent towards 2B and instead has a crush on the Commander

The Commander is full KFC so who could blame him...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

9S x 21O is my otp

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Commander is full KFC so who could blame him...

According to what I think was the Japanese guidebook for the game, Commander has the most going on up top and on bottom

Ibram Gaunt posted:

9S x 21O is my otp

This is also acceptable. 2B x 6O is good, too.

And 6O x Commander

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

According to what I think was the Japanese guidebook for the game, it has the measurements of all the main characters. Commander has the most going on up top and on bottom
Of course it does.

quote:

And 6O x Commander

This is basically in the game, right?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Nazzadan posted:

2B x 6O is good, too.

This is The Good Ship

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Snak posted:

Yeah, 6O knows WAY too much about what the Commander does in her free time and the state of her living quarters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

9S x 21O is my otp

Don't ship the NineEssu with his mom dude

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
All of the android quarters had books laying on the floor, right? I thought that was funny.

I wish the bunker had been bigger, see some more rooms, maybe an armory.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snak posted:

There may be sidequests I missed, but from the initial pages from 6O I choose to believe that she propositioned 21O and was turned down, completing the shipping chart clusterfuck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

(I'm sorry if this is somehow too anime for this thread)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
sir that is manga, not anime

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

There may be sidequests I missed, but from the initial pages from 6O I choose to believe that she propositioned 21O and was turned down, completing the shipping chart clusterfuck.

Bottom line, 6O falls in love way too quick and is a delicate flower that needs to be protected

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

We should have more male Yorha members because of reasons

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
""My doctor wasn't very happy about the condition of my liver. But I'm still drinking a lot. I might drop dead at any minute." - Yoko Taro

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

This would be fine if it wasn't for the bulge

Unless it's a hidden android gun. I'll accept that

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
6O is going to live happily ever after and if i have to shoot credits yoko taros twitter feed for 4 hours, bring it on

Snak posted:

""My doctor wasn't very happy about the condition of my liver. But I'm still drinking a lot. I might drop dead at any minute." - Yoko Taro
after reading this and Swerys twitter i'm starting to think rampant alcoholism is the #1 requirement to make games in japan*

*may not be exclusive to "japan", or "games"

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pod 042 x Pod 153 is the only ship that matters

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alder posted:

my wife and I were laughing about the fact that female yorha look like they do but male yorha are apparently restricted to 14-year-olds

Snak posted:

(I'm sorry if this is somehow too anime for this thread)

i unironically spent half the game thinking cat ears wouldn't be out of place on 9S and was moderately surprised when i never tripped across any

Nazzadan posted:

Bottom line, 6O falls in love way too quick and is a delicate flower that needs to be protected

:agreed:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

6O is going to live happily ever after and if i have to shoot credits yoko taros twitter feed for 4 hours, bring it on

after reading this and Swerys twitter i'm starting to think rampant alcoholism is the #1 requirement to make games in japan*

*may not be exclusive to "japan", or "games"

That's just Asian Business in general. Gotta drink with your partners, your bosses, and your coworkers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snak posted:

Yeah, I assumed when A2 was introduced, that she actually was an older instance of 2B who found out something she wasn't supposed to and they lost control of. I figured that the 2B we were playing was just a fresh one that they popped out of a transported with a system restore point. Now, the reality wasn't too far off, but still.

edit:

I think this becomes a philosophical, rather than technically question, to which I will say "I believe that Pascal is wrong, and that 'identical duplicates' are in fact the same person" I've gotten into this argument a lot with regards to the "transporter from star trek actually kills you and makes a duplicate" poo poo that comes up everytime someone who's really concerned with an intangible unique identity gets ahold of scifi.

I would go so far as to say that what Pascal says reflects his beliefs, but is not philosophically accurate, and that if you put the memories of a dead machine (that were copied at the moment of death) into a new machine with a different core, they would still be the same being. If they're not backed up at the moment of death, then you lose continuity, and they're the same being they were when the backup was made, but the being they are when they die is still irrevocably lost. Just like 9S would be. Which might be what Pascal is talking about.

What do you think of the Nolan movie "The Prestige"?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's just Asian Business in general. Gotta drink with your partners, your bosses, and your coworkers.
:ohdear: please don't drink yourself to an early grave, funny eccentric asian videogames makers (and non videogames makers)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

:ohdear: please don't drink yourself to an early grave, funny eccentric asian videogames makers (and non videogames makers)

On the other hand...if we get more games like this...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

What do you think of the Nolan movie "The Prestige"?

A, I like it, and B, it's made very clear in that movie that duplicates are identical to the original and not lesser or seperate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snak posted:

A, I like it, and B, it's made very clear in that movie that duplicates are identical to the original and not lesser or seperate.

But, in the Prestige, (movie spoilers) the original does die. The Huge Jackedman at the end of the film is not the same Huge Jackedman from the beginning of the film. A copy can never be the original. If you take a photo copy of a sheet of paper, the copy may have the exact content, but in the end it is still a copy. There is only one original despite how exact a copy may be.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snak posted:

I think this becomes a philosophical, rather than technically question, to which I will say "I believe that Pascal is wrong, and that 'identical duplicates' are in fact the same person" I've gotten into this argument a lot with regards to the "transporter from star trek actually kills you and makes a duplicate" poo poo that comes up everytime someone who's really concerned with an intangible unique identity gets ahold of scifi.

I would go so far as to say that what Pascal says reflects his beliefs, but is not philosophically accurate, and that if you put the memories of a dead machine (that were copied at the moment of death) into a new machine with a different core, they would still be the same being. If they're not backed up at the moment of death, then you lose continuity, and they're the same being they were when the backup was made, but the being they are when they die is still irrevocably lost. Just like 9S would be. Which might be what Pascal is talking about.

Missed the edit before but yeah the combination of "definitions in language" and "people obsessed with intangible unique identities" makes things weird. If someone dies with "not-backed-up memories", then those experiences are lost and since everyone is the sum of their experiences yes, by definition "the person you are at that moment" no longer exists. The real underlying question is "does it matter", which gets into that question of if there is an intangible unique ephemeral essence that somehow detaches from your physical body and goes...somewhere...when you die, which obviously is an opinion that varies by person; and the counterpoint of if the original does have one of those, is one summoned into existence by the act of creating a complete copy of the original? If one isn't and the copy is "soulless", how would you ever be able to tell if the soul is by definition intangible and immeasurable?

Of course, that being said this is a universe with replicants and gestalts so maybe it really is less a philosophical question and more one of "what worldbuilding rules are in place to govern this sort of thing" :shrug:

Mordiceius posted:

But, in the Prestige, (movie spoilers) the original does die. The Huge Jackedman at the end of the film is not the same Huge Jackedman from the beginning of the film. A copy can never be the original. If you take a photo copy of a sheet of paper, the copy may have the exact content, but in the end it is still a copy. There is only one original despite how exact a copy may be.

Right, but again, the question isn't "is the copy the original" because it factually isn't, it's "does it matter if the duplicate is sufficiently exact, and if so, what aspect of it is it that matters"?

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dunno, I think Zero is sorta this, just less gung ho about the murder train on the whole

I'd say she was Professional rear end in a top hat first and foremost, with 'murder' listed under her associated skills.

Alder posted:

Everyone should have the right to ogle magnificent robot rear end, regardless of gender or preference. Everyone.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Everyone should have the right to ogle magnificent robot rear end, regardless of gender or preference. Everyone.

That reminds me I'd adore DLC starring the beautiful machine bros

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

have you heard of this little known gem called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

have you heard of this little known gem called Metal Gear

just in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nina posted:

That reminds me I'd adore DLC starring the beautiful machine bros

:same: Their scenes are a bit lackluster compared to the trailer promo.