Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Thwomp posted:

gently caress me, this is like my useage case too and I've been looking at grabbing the big Pro for exactly these reasons.

Could I ask why you've decided to go with the Logitech keyboard versus the Apple Smart Keyboard?

Pretty simple reason - in Jump Desktop on a Windows computer all of the keys work as you'd expect with the Logitech keyboard - something about my brain breaks when trying to remap Option -> Alt and Command -> Windows.

Also, I was able to get an official Apple Cover for like $13 when Best Buy was clearing them out some months ago. For my use case, I prefer having a slimmer cover on because 95% of the time I'm using my iPad for leisure. The other 5% of the time it's easy to grab the Logitech keyboard out of my bag, since it weighs nothing and takes up very little space.

Edit: Oh yeah, and another huge one - the Logitech Keyboard has backspace and delete. I think most Mac keyboards only have Delete, which drives me crazy on Windows systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Looks like they're replacing the iPad Air with an updated model. A9 processor, 9.7" size, $329 USD price tag. :stare:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

BGrifter posted:

Looks like they're replacing the iPad Air with an updated model. A9 processor, 9.7" size, $329 USD price tag. :stare:

Are you sure? Where are you reading this?!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Please don't post #FakeNews here

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Suqit posted:

Are you sure? Where are you reading this?!?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/27/new-329-2017-apple-ipad-with-a9-processor-now-shipping-arriving-march-30/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/24/new-ipad-productred-iphone-7-orders-begin/

I'm surprised it's getting no hype. A refreshed low cost iPad seems like it could be a big deal. I've been humming and hawing about replacing my 3rd gen forever cause I just couldn't justify the cost of the iPad Pro for how little I use my iPad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the one we literally talked about on the last page??!??!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the one we literally talked about on the last page??!??!

New page so it didn't happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/27/new-329-2017-apple-ipad-with-a9-processor-now-shipping-arriving-march-30/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/24/new-ipad-productred-iphone-7-orders-begin/

I'm surprised it's getting no hype. A refreshed low cost iPad seems like it could be a big deal. I've been humming and hawing about replacing my 3rd gen forever cause I just couldn't justify the cost of the iPad Pro for how little I use my iPad.

I don't believe you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Have an elderly client here who locked herself out of her iPad. It's totally disabled, have to restore via iTunes. I'm in that process now, failed the first time, seemed to be going through the second time but it's on the apple logo with the progress bar now and hasn't moved for the longest while, it's at about 50%. No errors on the computer side, the progress bar in iTunes is near completion. Is it normal to take a long time or get stuck for long periods? iTunes is updated. Prior to giving up and going the restore route I updated iOS via iTunes as well. It's a few years old, heavy thing but has lightning charger

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

codo27 posted:

Have an elderly client here who locked herself out of her iPad. It's totally disabled, have to restore via iTunes. I'm in that process now, failed the first time, seemed to be going through the second time but it's on the apple logo with the progress bar now and hasn't moved for the longest while, it's at about 50%. No errors on the computer side, the progress bar in iTunes is near completion. Is it normal to take a long time or get stuck for long periods? iTunes is updated. Prior to giving up and going the restore route I updated iOS via iTunes as well. It's a few years old, heavy thing but has lightning charger

How long is "the longest while?"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's gotta be nearing a half hour or more

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

That doesn't strike me as especially outrageous, I feel like some devices I've had what feels like nearly 45 minutes to restore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that doesn't seem *too* out of line, especially if it's an older one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Even though it hasn't budged? Like I wouldn't care if it was slowly moving all along but it got to where it is reasonably fast and then nada. Will it brick if I unplug it during this process if I wanna start over?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Even though it hasn't budged? Like I wouldn't care if it was slowly moving all along but it got to where it is reasonably fast and then nada. Will it brick if I unplug it during this process if I wanna start over?

You can't really brick iOS devices, but it could be a headache for you to fix afterward.

What kind of "locked out" are we talking? If it was activation locked she's kind of hosed.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

tuyop posted:

What kind of "locked out" are we talking? If it was activation locked she's kind of hosed.

Activation lock can be removed if you go to the Apple Store with a receipt and ID matching said receipt.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the new iPad still have a physical home button or just a touch sensor one like the iPhone 7?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the new iPad still have a physical home button or just a touch sensor one like the iPhone 7?
Button.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, they really didn't add anything even six months old to it did they?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

That feature would require the Taptic Engine and this is basically an iPad Air 1 with a different SoC, so no they didn't add any new features.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I've enjoyed my Air 2 for a long time so I guess I'll just keep using that.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm still holding out for a price drop on the 9.7" pro

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not really "new" they just found a cheaper way to make the iPad Air.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I've enjoyed my Air 2 for a long time so I guess I'll just keep using that.
I just got the $329/£339 iPad delivered today. It's thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2 and the chamfered edges are no longer polished to be shiny.

I've previously owned 2 iPad Air 2s and feel like this one is a bit of a downgrade.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
That sucks. Return it and get the mini iPad Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

awesome-express posted:

I just got the $329/£339 iPad delivered today. It's thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2 and the chamfered edges are no longer polished to be shiny.

I've previously owned 2 iPad Air 2s and feel like this one is a bit of a downgrade.

It is a downgrade. That's why it's $170 cheaper.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side the CPU and memory upgrades mean apps will load fast on that lovely screen for years to come.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I can't compare it to the Air 2, but I upgraded from the Air 1, and it basically feels like my same iPad only 3x faster and twice the storage. Also Touch ID.

So I'm happy. The only thing I miss is the lock rotation switch.

qbert fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 2, 2017

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I picked one up yesterday after comparing the Pro and the new iPad in-store for a few minutes. I couldn't tell a difference in the screen other than true tone.

I suspect if I had used the Pro or an Air 2 for a while I would have, but I'm coming from an iPad 2 so it's a pretty incredible upgrade.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah if you're used to the air 2 the only way forward is probably Pro.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
How is the anti-glare on the Air 2? I just bought a used one for enough cheaper than new iPad that I don't really mind even if it's not a big difference, but my main usage is reading on it in brightly lit rooms, so seemed like a no brainer to go for it over the new iPad given the prices.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ars review of the new iPad:

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/04/review-apples-329-ipad-is-for-people-who-have-never-upgraded-their-tablet/

I'll admit, I might have been wrong on initially thinking it's a bad idea. I don't think I would get it, but it def seems to check all the "oh well that's fine for me" for the majority of customers. I can see most people looking at the iPad Pro, thinking it's too expensive, and then getting the iPad because it matches enough of what they need.

Curious what iPad comes out next, but it looks more and more likely my current Mini 4 will end of being the last Mini I get if all the better iPads are the 9.7" versions. Not surprising I guess, but a bummer.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Duckman2008 posted:

Ars review of the new iPad:

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/04/review-apples-329-ipad-is-for-people-who-have-never-upgraded-their-tablet/

I'll admit, I might have been wrong on initially thinking it's a bad idea. I don't think I would get it, but it def seems to check all the "oh well that's fine for me" for the majority of customers. I can see most people looking at the iPad Pro, thinking it's too expensive, and then getting the iPad because it matches enough of what they need.

Curious what iPad comes out next, but it looks more and more likely my current Mini 4 will end of being the last Mini I get if all the better iPads are the 9.7" versions. Not surprising I guess, but a bummer.

I mean hasn't that been almost always true of the mini? The mini 2 was the only time it was comparable to the 9.7" at the time, which I think was the air?

mini 1 < ipad 3
mini 2 ~= air 1
mini 3 < air 2
mini 4 < ipad pro

Personally I like the mini 4 a lot because it's very similar to the air 2, but that was still roughly a year after the air 2 came out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's not right. The Mini 4 was an Air 2 just in the smaller form factor.

The new iPad definitely appears to bode a general shake-up for the iPad line but it does leave the Mini out in the cold until more information is available.

If the rumored 10.9" iPad is true and a Pro refresh is coming, then your future lineup would be:

Mini 4/iPad
new 10.9" iPad/9.7" Pro
12.9" Pro

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

This is us. My wife has the 4th iPad (the new new iPad?) and has noticed it getting slow. She would balk at a $600 Pro, and wouldn't care about the screen difference, speakers, and peripherals if there was a significant upgrade available for close to half price. Probability of her upgrading went from about 25% to 90%, so good job Apple?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think it's about time to retire my iPad 2 and switch to a newer version. I could probably get a couple more years out of it but it's getting a bit sluggish.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If I hadn't given mine away I would have loved to still have my old ipad to use as a dedicated HomeKit control panel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My mam still uses an iPad 3(?) that we bought her what feels like about 7 years ago. Runs slow enough on iOS 8/9(?) but it's fine for her. The thing is a tank.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Three-Phase posted:

I think it's about time to retire my iPad 2 and switch to a newer version. I could probably get a couple more years out of it but it's getting a bit sluggish.

Jesus dude, you've really wrung some life out of that thing. If it's any consolation, the iPad Air 2 is on clearance from a bunch of places now, and is like 6x as fast (if not faster) than your iPad 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Air 2 might legit be the best iOS device Apple ever made.