Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

tadashi posted:

It's not just the team. The University is on notice that it's accreditation is in jeopardy because of the actions of the Kentucky governor.

Lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Democrazy posted:

It's a real problem because is has no solution other than Auriemma losing his touch or other teams simply getting better. It shouldn't be a question of facilities, because if it was, other programs should be able to outspend UConn. And if it were recruiting violations, Pat Summitt probably would have found something when she alleged violations in the recruitment of Maya Moore.

So what do you do? Tell Auriemma to ease up? Tell the women playing for him that they should go easy and let someone else have a turn? There's no good answer there.

The answer will be other teams getting better, but that's a slow process. Other teams will only get better if you have more girls playing it in high school, thus expanding the amount of good women's players coming in to college.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Metapod posted:

Lmao what

Our fantastic governor has been throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't allowed to replace UofL's board with cronies.

And dicking around with funding and other stuff that is also messing with accreditation.

Think sorta like UAB and Bama except the target is ruining the school, not the football program. And it's not like he's associated with UK either.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, I guess that would up the ante a little more than a basketball scandal.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think there was even a "Shadow Board" thing going on after the initial clash. It's been incredibly stupid and is endangering the entire University and the students there.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Our fantastic governor has been throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't allowed to replace UofL's board with cronies.

And dicking around with funding and other stuff that is also messing with accreditation.

Think sorta like UAB and Bama except the target is ruining the school, not the football program. And it's not like he's associated with UK either.

Incredible

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

People's complaint about women's basketball is a major reason why I don't follow the NBA at all. The same 2-3 teams (or players, more specifically) win every year. The lack of competitive balance really hurts it for me.

NCAAB though, that's my jam. I'm that weird guy that loves NCAAB but barely follows the NBA.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Probably Magic posted:

I think the tiebreaker for me is that, yeah, UK fans are the worst, but have they ever actively rooted for a team that has Grayson Allen or a Plumlee Brother on it? Like, I can't think of a single Wildcat that's been that punchable. Also, jokes about inevitable sanctions aside, Calipari actually cares a lot about his kids and having a fun style, while Coach K is just a huge prick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/24/kentucky-wildcats-honest-team-college-basketball-ncaa
British newspaper calls out K on his bullshit. Cal has said many times he hates the one-and-done rule, but at least he isn't hypocritical about using it to his advantage.

Obviously I'm biased and like to see our fans in a good light, though there are some crazy ones, but I always figured we weren't that different from Kansas or North Carolina fans. Big state schools that dominate their states in terms of fandom, with men's basketball being the primary sport in football dominated lands. Certainly not worse than Duke fans.

I think the rural fans do have a tendency to see the city of Louisville in a negative light, but in reality nearly half the city is UK fans. I think it's just more a big city vs rural thing. Again though, there's bias with me being from there, where the two fan bases have to live and work with each other, which maybe tones it down for us. Hell, some of my best friends are Louisville fans. Fans from out in the state don't have that dynamic I guess so there's nothing to stop the hate.

I think there's a lot of schadenfreude with the whole stripper scandal though. All Louisville fans would talk about when UK hired Cal is how any banners he gets will eventually come down, and now their banner is in serious jeopardy. And I won't deny the Pitino hate. I don't blame him for taking the job, it was the best available when he was looking, of course he's going to jump on that. But I have an uncle who refers to him as "that loving traitor," so, yeah, there's Pitino hate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

I'm that weird guy that loves NCAAB but barely follows the NBA.

There are like six million people in Indiana.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

People's complaint about women's basketball is a major reason why I don't follow the NBA at all. The same 2-3 teams (or players, more specifically) win every year. The lack of competitive balance really hurts it for me.

NCAAB though, that's my jam. I'm that weird guy that loves NCAAB but barely follows the NBA.

There is way more variance in the NBA than in women's college ball. Which says a LOT.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
NCAAB though, that's my jam

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wicka posted:

There are like six million people in Indiana.

I imagine Kentucky and Kansas also have a very skewed amount of NCAA fans, but not NBA fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is way more variance in the NBA than in women's college ball. Which says a LOT.

Yeah unless you want to go back to old school UCLA or the Bill Russell Celtics there's not really any comparison.

I mean unless you're a fan of the team you hate Alabama football, but they're nowhere near UConn's run since 2002. Which would probably be even better if it wasn't for the other best coach in women's basketball history being at Tennessee for a good chunk of that time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean the NCAA is still mostly the same programs at or near the top every year. To the extent it has parity it's because they decide the title with a single elimination tournament. If it went to an NBA like playoff it'd probably be some combination of Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/UNC/MSU year after year. Basketball is inheriently a hard sport to have parity in. The best players have too significant of an impact and there are too many scoring opportunities.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

I mean the NCAA is still mostly the same programs at or near the top every year. To the extent it has parity it's because they decide the title with a single elimination tournament. If it went to an NBA like playoff it'd probably be some combination of Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/UNC/MSU year after year. Basketball is inheriently a hard sport to have parity in. The best players have too significant of an impact and there are too many scoring opportunities.

Agreed, I'm just saying UConn women's basketball is next level poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm inclined to agree that it makes it kinda boring but I also don't really see a way to fix it unless you want to ban him from the sport for being to good at his job. It's not like they're doing something wrong, they're just way better. I guess appreciate that you're watching history? Presumably it will end eventually just like UCLA basketball in the Wooden era

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

MourningView posted:

I'm inclined to agree that it makes it kinda boring but I also don't really see a way to fix it unless you want to ban him from the sport for being to good at his job. It's not like they're doing something wrong, they're just way better. I guess appreciate that you're watching history? Presumably it will end eventually just like UCLA basketball in the Wooden era

I basically only pay attention until the elite eight. Usually you get one or two teams that surprise their way up to there, then it becomes the UConn plus combo of 1/2 seeds that will loss to the Huskies anyways.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kirios posted:

The NBA has been pretty good with having different champions in recent history. I'm guessing your bored with LeBron getting to the Finals every year since 2011, but what he is doing is historically great. (and it's not like he wins every time anyway but point taken.) Too lazy to check but I think the last time the NBA had so many different teams win titles in a similar timeframe was the 70s. It's a bit different than the women's college game where a team can go undefeated for multiple years in a row.

NBA titles since 2010
2010: LA Lakers
2011: Dallas Mavericks
2012: Miami Heat
2013: Miami Heat
2014: San Antonio Spurs
2015: Golden State Warriors
2016: Cleveland Cavaliers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I admittedly don't watch it at all but even beyond UConn, women's basketball seems pretty shallow and it seems like they should consider making the tournament field smaller. The first few rounds can get really ugly a lot of the time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Oh I'm not at all saying it's wrong. I'm just saying it makes me completely disinterested in the sport.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The women have had a 16 seed win before, haven't they? It does seem like most of those games are like 95-31 though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spacebump posted:

The NBA has been pretty good with having different champions in recent history. I'm guessing your bored with LeBron getting to the Finals every year since 2011, but what he is doing is historically great. (and it's not like he wins every time anyway but point taken.) Too lazy to check but I think the last time the NBA had so many different teams win titles in a similar timeframe was the 70s. It's a bit different than the women's college game where a team can go undefeated for multiple years in a row.

NBA titles since 2010

western conference titles since 1999:
Lakers 7
Spurs 6
Every other team 4

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

I admittedly don't watch it at all but even beyond UConn, women's basketball seems pretty shallow and it seems like they should consider making the tournament field smaller. The first few rounds can get really ugly a lot of the time.

Yeah I don't watch it at all either but I'd imagine the sport needs to mature if that makes sense? UConn's on a separate level but even past them it seems like there are always the same 3 or 4 teams that could theoretically give them trouble. It kinda reminds me of women's international hockey, like 98% of the talent is is playing for two teams and everyone else is cannon fodder.

Women's basketball needs some bag men and dirty recruiting to spread the talent out.

e: And Democrazy did say it was getting better past UConn recently and it isn't like I know enough to call him wrong, so maybe that's the start.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 27, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

The women have had a 16 seed win before, haven't they? It does seem like most of those games are like 95-31 though.

They did but iirc the best player on the one seed got hurt right before the tournament

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-UConn NCAA women's tournament game in an arena that wasn't 75% empty.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Is NCAA women's basketball any less dominated by slow paced coach-dominated offense than the men's game?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Panzeh posted:

Is NCAA women's basketball any less dominated by slow paced coach-dominated offense than the men's game?

They had the 30 second shot clock since 1970. The men didn't get a shot clock at all until 1985, and then it was 45 seconds.

I mean it still might not be as fast as you'd like, but they've been ahead of the curve as far as forcing teams to at least attempt shots.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Do they have a shorter short clock refresh after an offensive rebound on a shot that hit the rim, or is that only the WNBA?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Spacebump posted:

NBA titles since 2010

The issue isn't really who wins in the NBA. But the race for the finals is between the same teams every year. For example, out of those years you posted, how many was Lebron in?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TBeats posted:

The issue isn't really who wins in the NBA. But the race for the finals is between the same teams every year. For example, out of those years you posted, how many was Lebron in?

All but 2010 lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Grittybeard posted:

They had the 30 second shot clock since 1970. The men didn't get a shot clock at all until 1985, and then it was 45 seconds.

I mean it still might not be as fast as you'd like, but they've been ahead of the curve as far as forcing teams to at least attempt shots.

Yikes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The NBA has teams that can realistically challenge the ones everyone expects to win, even if they don't always succeed. UCONN has won over 100 games in a row. It's not comparable.

And Lebron always going to the finals is due to the nature of basketball itself more than the NBA.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Taerkar posted:

lol I still cannot believe y'all somehow got crazy rear end bevin as governor

this sort of poo poo is why I moved to new york

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TBeats posted:

If the NBA season ended with a single elimination tournament every year it would have a larger variety of champions. I imagine if the NCAA season ended with the best teams playing a bunch of 7 games series instead of single elimination, there would be less parity.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Spacebump posted:

If the NBA season ended with a single elimination tournament every year it would have a larger variety of champions. I imagine if the NCAA season ended with the best teams playing a bunch of 7 games series instead of single elimination, there would be less parity.

Absolutely. Single elimination isn't really fair for deciding who is the best, but it's the only alternative. The NCAA isn't a 30 team league. There are over 300 D1 schools that play basketball.

Also the tournament is unique and exciting. The only changes they need to make are fixing the seeding system. Wichita State was ranked in the top 25 for the last month of the regular season but was a 10 seed?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Pretty good year to be a Gamecock. Pretty good win, considering how long their best player sat on the bench.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I didn't even realize that South Carolina was also in the women's final four, that's cool. I know making the mens and womens final four has been done before, probably UConn several times, but it must be somewhat rare.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

You guys are really going to like UK fans after this:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/call-john-higgins-business-and-you-get-the-fbi/

This is absurd but he definitely shouldn't be allowed to call any more UK games.

E: It's probably not the actual FBI but he's getting harassed online as well, with UK fans posting fake awful reviews of his roofing company on their Facebook page.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 28, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Good god, 5 players are transferring from UNM overnight. Three others might, but those aren't confirmed.

With 2 players graduating, that's up to 10 players leaving.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

tadashi posted:

You guys are really going to like UK fans after this:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/call-john-higgins-business-and-you-get-the-fbi/

This is absurd but he definitely shouldn't be allowed to call any more UK games.

E: It's probably not the actual FBI but he's getting harassed online as well, with UK fans posting fake awful reviews of his roofing company on their Facebook page.

lmao "go cayuts" indeed

• Locked thread