Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

T.S. Smelliot posted:

. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

No, get fit and in shape by doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

T.S. Smelliot posted:

So after 5 years of destroying my body through a combination of incredible stress, odd hours and poo poo eating, I switched careers to one that has way better hours and found out one of my old MT instructors opened up his own gym locally that charges 80/mo for unlimited or 60/mo for 2/week,im real tempted to get back in. I really want to get my own bag in the garage too. His gym is a p legit hole in the wall warehouse as a legit gym usually is and I trust his instruction. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

E: no contracts or any Bullshit like that

thinking you need to get in shape before you go get in shape is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

thinking you need to get in shape before you go get in shape is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard

Yet I hear it every time I tell someone that I do full contact martial arts. Just tonight - "you disappeared for a bit this afternoon. Where did you go?" - "BJJ." - "Oh man I'd love to do that but I'm out of shape."

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I made that excuse at least 10 times before I finally dragged my rear end in the gym. There's no shape like grappling/fight shape anyway.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

fighting shape is its own monster and everyone starts at zero or slightly above zero

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Neon Belly posted:

I've been doing this whole training things for years and still haven't gotten a black eye :(

Yesterday I was going for a bump sweep from guard and dude came forward at the same time I was coming up for the sweep and our heads collided.

Now I've got 4 stitches in my eyebrow and one hell of a black eye. Work's gonna be fun tomorrow.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bump sweeps are cool.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
People said it a lot but yeah there is no "getting in shape for martial arts" prior to doing it. Especially if you are in terrible shape right now. The kind of cardio/muscles required for fighting is so different than what you would get from going to the gym, running, etc. that even if you were dedicated and trained 4 times a week to "get in shape for martial arts" you would still have poo poo fighting cardio when compared to someone who dedicated half that time to grappling.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is there a general rule about smashing people if you are a bigger guy? I've had this conversation with my instructor and hes like "go at it!" if someone is around my weight (I weigh 230), but honestly I don't really pressure someone unless they are way heavier or as heavy than me. For example this morning my partner was a girl that weighed about 150 and asked very politely not to put all my weight on her when practicing this move, but honestly I kind of feeling that I'm cutting myself short if I don't. I don't want anyone to get hurt so I respect those requests (which I did with her) but in my morning classes it's usually lighter people than me that I train with (200 and under I would guess). Should they just expect that they should have to put their skills to use against a bigger person and suck it up? At least thats the way I feel about it because there are guys even bigger than me that I have rolled with, but I can also see the point of not wanting to get injured too.

I dont know, Im stuck on this one...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spiralbrain posted:

Is there a general rule about smashing people if you are a bigger guy? I've had this conversation with my instructor and hes like "go at it!" if someone is around my weight (I weigh 230), but honestly I don't really pressure someone unless they are way heavier or as heavy than me. For example this morning my partner was a girl that weighed about 150 and asked very politely not to put all my weight on her when practicing this move, but honestly I kind of feeling that I'm cutting myself short if I don't. I don't want anyone to get hurt so I respect those requests (which I did with her) but in my morning classes it's usually lighter people than me that I train with (200 and under I would guess). Should they just expect that they should have to put their skills to use against a bigger person and suck it up? At least thats the way I feel about it because there are guys even bigger than me that I have rolled with, but I can also see the point of not wanting to get injured too.

are you really stuck on this one? no don't smother women 100lbs less than you with your massive body when drilling moves

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Be kind to your training partners please

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I think not destroying a 150lb woman if you outweigh her by 80 pounds especially if she asks you politely not to pound her is a pretty good idea .

My boxing coach emphasizes punch placement when there's a significant size differential in partners - I'm new to this whole thing but I'm pretty sure that just because you can beat someone by brute force doesn't mean you should, as by doing so you aren't learning anything that will help you when you are up against someone your own size, and I guarantee you they aren't either.

Have sparred/done drills with bigger dudes, even a 25-30lb difference can mean a huge difference in the level of hurt someone can put on you, even factoring in them not going full speed with every punch. From what I've been told so far, if you focus on having perfect technique, or putting yourself at a disadvantage to force yourself to work at getting out of a difficult situation while operating at less than 100% of your capacity power and you will absolutely still get something out of it, and so will your partner.

e: realized you're talking about BJJ just I think the same general approach should apply...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Don't be a dick. But don't be lazy. I apply pressure to make it uncomfortable for my partner but I don't just sit there and smash them and hold them. Allow people to move it will improve their escapes and your transitions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When working with a smaller partner, ask yourself if you're winning (under what definition you want - maintaining position, getting submissions, or getting escapes) by size or by technique. If you're only able to maintain that side control or knee on belly because you're 50% bigger than the person on the bottom, then you're not learning anything. That's not to say "don't use your size" - but don't rely on it.

If your smaller partners are asking for you to change your practices, you probably should, because we tend to be stubborn and keep trying even though we're getting hurt, or we just stop rolling with you once we learn that you're prone to hurting us.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

^^Thats it. I know there is this line I shouldn't cross its just because I am new, im still trying to find where it is without pissing anyone off, not drilling but sparring because often times we go at it pretty hard.

JaySB posted:

Don't be a dick. But don't be lazy. I apply pressure to make it uncomfortable for my partner but I don't just sit there and smash them and hold them. Allow people to move it will improve their escapes and your transitions.

This is basically what I am doing as well and I dont smash people when drilling. Obviously I am not going to smash someone that is 100 pounds lighter than me even when I am sparring, I think thats a dick move it doesnt help anyone, but applying some pressure is ok or else you're not really testing them or your skills.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 27, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

spiralbrain posted:

Bit shocked you dont know.

With the guys I train with a few scenarios are likely to happen if you bully people with weight, especially if they ask you not to.

1) you will hurt someone, not temporary tap out wise, as in, cause them an injury.
2) pro fighters will see what you are doing and bully the gently caress out of you to teach you a lesson, repeatedly, every time you come back, even if you have learnt your lesson, because it's not often they have an excuse to hurt people.
3) someone who is 80lbs lighter than you will get very strong very quickly and go very hard back to make up for the lack of weight, and injure you because they don't know their own new strength.

Be nice to your training partners, using your weight is not skill, it'll teach you bad habits that when you attempt on someone the same weight as you, will get you in trouble, and you wont learn.

I don't mind fat people putting weight on me, hell, getting crushed by a 145lbs pro who knows how to crush is way more painful, but there's a big difference between being heavy and using your weight in a dick move.

Sorry if im coming across as harsh, but I used to be 135lbs sparring with 200lbs+ guys and had some bad experiences.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

JaySB posted:

This should be everyone. "Mountains that Roll" and noodle people alike.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Bit shocked you dont know.

With the guys I train with a few scenarios are likely to happen if you bully people with weight, especially if they ask you not to.

1) you will hurt someone, not temporary tap out wise, as in, cause them an injury.
2) pro fighters will see what you are doing and bully the gently caress out of you to teach you a lesson, repeatedly, every time you come back, even if you have learnt your lesson, because it's not often they have an excuse to hurt people.
3) someone who is 80lbs lighter than you will get very strong very quickly and go very hard back to make up for the lack of weight, and injure you because they don't know their own new strength.

Be nice to your training partners, using your weight is not skill, it'll teach you bad habits that when you attempt on someone the same weight as you, will get you in trouble, and you wont learn.

I don't mind fat people putting weight on me, hell, getting crushed by a 145lbs pro who knows how to crush is way more painful, but there's a big difference between being heavy and using your weight in a dick move.

Sorry if im coming across as harsh, but I used to be 135lbs sparring with 200lbs+ guys and had some bad experiences.

Honestly I dont know why a place would have you spar with someone that is 200 lbs if you are 135. I question the pairing up process there unless its like me where in the morning I have few options but to pair up with people that are between 150 and 200 lbs. Its what I have to work with unfortunately. I would rather spar with someone my own size. It sounds like a lot of people have had bad experiences with bigger guys crushing them, i know what that feels like when I spar with someone that is similar in size to me. Its not comfortable and I could see how injuries could happen, but there is a line that can be crossed with dick moves and I get that. Being new Im just a little unsure where that line is because there are times where using your weight is unavoidable.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You need to be able to control the pressure you put on people in grappling. There are times when you want to be light as a feather, which helps you switch positions faster, can trick your opponent to dive for an escape route you've already mapped out and there are times you want to be the moon on top of someone, If they're spazzy or they're not accepting a pressure pass and still trying to shrimp away from you. Everyone needs to learn that not just heavy people, it's just as a heavy person you'll generally get better and more insistent feed back if you're one way or the other typically, "ARG GET THE FOOK OFF" vs "How are you moving that fast for a [180/190/200/250] pound guy?"

Also, there is never a reason to cook smaller people in Knee on Belly, Mount, or Kesa-Gatami, unless they try to cook you first.

edit: The biggest rule is, If your partner says stop crushing me so hard, stop it.

spiralbrain posted:

Honestly I dont know why a place would have you spar with someone that is 200 lbs if you are 135.

If you're a 135 that has dreams of winning an Absolute Divison you absolutely need to roll with people way heavier than you. Also Bigger guys need to be able to roll against soooper fast flexible people. Everyone needs to roll with everyone one else as long as everyone is attempting to be safe, Guys need to roll against girls, fats need to roll with skinnies, Noodlemen need to roll with zombies.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

KildarX posted:

You need to be able to control the pressure you put on people in grappling. There are times when you want to be light as a feather, which helps you switch positions faster, can trick your opponent to dive for an escape route you've already mapped out and there are times you want to be the moon on top of someone, If they're spazzy or they're not accepting a pressure pass and still trying to shrimp away from you. Everyone needs to learn that not just heavy people, it's just as a heavy person you'll generally get better and more insistent feed back if you're one way or the other typically, "ARG GET THE FOOK OFF" vs "How are you moving that fast for a [180/190/200/250] pound guy?"

Also, there is never a reason to cook smaller people in Knee on Belly, Mount, or Kesa-Gatami, unless they try to cook you first.

edit: The biggest rule is, If your partner says stop crushing me so hard, stop it.

If you're a 135 that has dreams of winning an Absolute Divison you absolutely need to roll with people way heavier than you. Also Bigger guys need to be able to roll against soooper fast flexible people. Everyone needs to roll with everyone one else as long as everyone is attempting to be safe, Guys need to roll against girls, fats need to roll with skinnies, Noodlemen need to roll with zombies.

Thanks. I get what you're saying, and you explained it pretty well. It will always be in the back of my mind the size of my opponent and how fast they are as to whether I should be applying more pressure or not.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

In my experience, small people get good fast, because they kind of have to

and if you're mean to them when they're new they come back at you like the count of monte cristo with their tiny little bastard legs and their beady hateful little eyes and they make your life a knee-ridden hell

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always used a mental 'heaviness' sliding scale based on my opponents skill (for sparring.) If they are behind me in skill I'll try not to apply too much pressure, even if they're heavier than me. If they're significantly better than me you bet I'm going to utilize as much pressure and weight as I possibly can.

As a solid middle weight I want to get better against guys that are heavier/stronger than me and are trying to use every advantage they've got, but I'd prefer to do it against opponents I actually have a chance at countering.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ihop posted:

If they're significantly better than me you bet I'm going to utilize as much pressure and weight as I possibly can.

I feel like this is only hurting you. Anyone significantly better than you is going to know it and will adjust their game as such. If you roll at 100% they'll got at 100% and you're gonna lose. Apply enough pressure to force an anticipated response and then react to that response accordingly. If you're applying a ton of pressure and weight and you lose the position you're probably thinking "well poo poo what do I do now"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is a good discussion. Thinking to the last person to ask "why isn't there more striking chat in this thread?,"
I don't see nearly as many questions like this come up for striking. Likely cuz there aren't as many people practicing, but I'm sure if a similar question were asked, there'd be people to discuss it.

I'll try one -- one of the moves I've been improving is a lead Brazilian/question mark kick. I usually know if it'll land and will pull it so it lands pretty gently. But part of me thinks if I want to practice it for real, I should keep pushing through, slowly. Either they'll catch my kick and push/throw me off, or they'll have their head pushed off line where I can follow up and they can't.

The goal is to keep my mechanics more real to how I'd throw it if I wanted to knock them out. If I throw it like I do now, it'll never have that heavy power behind it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know this is going to sound kind of like a stupid question but isn't that what a heavy bag is for? Practicing your techniques at 100% or close to it?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
For striking I prefer practicing against a pad partner so you can feel the distance and aim, but a bag I guess is runner up.

I feel like you should practice it how you are going to use it or you won't have the right instinct- after you get down good form at least

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really like grappling tho so idk how that mindset transfers...

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

In striking you just get your lights knocked out for a second

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

Well you're wrong...

And repetitive head trauma is probably worse for you than a singular joint or bone injury

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I see where you're coming from, but I can wear a cast for a couple months or learn how to walk favoring a different leg but I can't learn how to not have cumulative brain damage that gives me wild mood swings and makes me slur my speech.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Kickboxing is way more fun imo anyway

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather have a concussion than a torn acl or something but I'm also retarded.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Same here dude

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

JaySB posted:

I know this is going to sound kind of like a stupid question but isn't that what a heavy bag is for? Practicing your techniques at 100% or close to it?

A bag doesn't move enough up top. Like I have a shot at moving someone's head and swinging my leg through and planting, but not to a bag. I think pads can help with the overall combo flow for sure. I have a pretty serious case of "sparring partner mentality" where I never press hard when I see an opening, and always just show techniques. I really gotta do more for body shots.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

when you guys are old you're going to be speech-slurred retards

while i, an esteemed gentleman, am gonna look like that guy in the deer hunter who comes home from 'nam with three limbs missing

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Joked on all of you, I'm already broke brained.

Unrelated, I'm gonna try Kali for the first time tonight, it seems super fun and interesting.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I'd rather have a concussion than a torn acl or something but I'm also retarded.

I'm just terrified of getting some kind of palsy and having to do bum fights for catfood in order to survive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

when you guys are old you're going to be speech-slurred retards

When Junior Seau shot himself in the chest to donate his brain to science, that was my wakeup call. I was like, how long do I want to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

In my experience, small people get good fast, because they kind of have to

and if you're mean to them when they're new they come back at you like the count of monte cristo with their tiny little bastard legs and their beady hateful little eyes and they make your life a knee-ridden hell

When I started BJJ there was a kid in the "little dragons" class who was 5 and had all ready been rolling with his older brothers for over a year. Now he's 14 and rolling with him is a painful experience wherever it ends up. He's a porcupine on the bottom, and a meat tenderizer from the top.