Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

super fart shooter posted:

Does frostbite do anything in pve other the little bit of burst damage?

slows enemies iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress, I need to play DS1 one of these days.

Awww man, it's incredible. Probably my favourite Souls game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

slows enemies iirc

It also reduces their defenses very slightly,

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

Does frostbite do anything in pve other the little bit of burst damage?

No clue if the stamina recovery speed and absorption debuff work in PVE, but that's what's on the hammer description. (Damage proc, stamina recovery debuff, adsorption)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

skasion posted:

Definitely not "most" but a surprising number of them can. Larger enemies like the crabs, curse spiders, and crow knights do it all the time whereas smaller enemies don't seem to. Oddly, I think the black knights in Smoldering Lake can do it too -- at least they can damage, and are hostile to, mad dark spirits, which most enemies ignore.

Seems like the enemies that attack other enemies can also hit invaders.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Awww man, it's incredible. Probably my favourite Souls game.

I started it, then fell down a hole and got cursed and then said "gently caress it."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I started it, then fell down a hole and got cursed and then said "gently caress it."

I you think that's bad, I just started playing Shadow Tower today on my PS3 and you can literally die in one second by pressing the wrong button as soon as you spawn and falling off a bridge.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
replaying the game before I play both the DLCs, doing Ancient Wyvern and it gets stuck and it can't path to where you plunging attack it. I run through the gauntlet again to try and reset it so it will path correctly, and then it suddenly died when I was half way back up the tower. I think it walked off the cliff and died. :nallears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some speed runner found out you can do the plunging attack early in that fight by jumping off the little platform where the bell is. I never managed to do it but you can sprint to the proper platform fairly quickly anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Minrad posted:

replaying the game before I play both the DLCs, doing Ancient Wyvern and it gets stuck and it can't path to where you plunging attack it. I run through the gauntlet again to try and reset it so it will path correctly, and then it suddenly died when I was half way back up the tower. I think it walked off the cliff and died. :nallears:

That's hilarious.

Enemies with wings dying from falling off a cliff never gets old. The wyvrens in the valley of the drakes in DS1 might be the funniest/stupidest because they'll die as a result of using an attack where they fly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxyclean posted:

There's not a ton of reason to go through the hydra area multiple times unless you really don't want to spend the souls on the seal of artorias, but are also aware of the ladder back there. Even then, I'm pretty sure that gold golem is way at the back, so there's not much chance you'll see it casually passing through the zone.

You could say the same of getting Dusk's Pretty Pretty Princess set.

The answer is just :darksouls:.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Oxyclean posted:

That's hilarious.

Enemies with wings dying from falling off a cliff never gets old. The wyvrens in the valley of the drakes in DS1 might be the funniest/stupidest because they'll die as a result of using an attack where they fly.

I love getting​the stone gargoyles in 3 to launch themselves off poo poo. Worth a lot of souls too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its amazing that the fly men in the DLC are actually capable of flying over gaps properly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its amazing that the fly men in the DLC are actually capable of flying over gaps properly.

It's weird that it took them eight years to rediscover this technology (given that the Maneaters were capable of that).

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does anyone have a link to that PC mod that saves a copy of your character every 15 minutes or so? I'm paranoid that someone is going to invade me and use some nastiness to hit my character with negative levels or drop my stats permanently since there was apparently a lot of that nonsense happening early in the last DLC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vil posted:

The game expects you to be using a +10 weapon at this point, though if you have a weapon upgraded with Twinkling Titanite you can grind souls to max that out (because the giant blacksmith sells them). And in DS1 you only need Twinkling to max out a weapon, and +5 for one of those is equivalent to +15 of a normal weapon.

In this circumstance I'd probably try to grab a sunbro (a player one, Solaire's a bit suicidal) and stay alive to beat O&S. Lautrec can wait until you've upgraded. Warping is locked until you've beaten them (a design decision I'm glad they changed in the later games), so it's way less of a hike to go and fix up your Halberd at this point. Unless you want to walk out of Anor Londo then walk out of Sen's Fortress. Admittedly, with shortcuts it's not actually that bad a hike - be sure you unlock that elevator-cage shortcut in Sen's so you can skip 95% of the area.

For future reference, you want to grab the Large Ember in the Depths, give it to Andre, and then use him to get your weapon at least to +6 before you start the Sen's Fortress climb. (There's Large Titanite to be found in Depths and Blighttown.) You can use your bonfire mini-blacksmith to upgrade from +6 to +10 as you get more Large Titanite (there's more in Sen's, and you can buy it from the merchant at the top or from the giant blacksmith), but the +5 -> +6 has to be done by Andre exclusively.

For Lautrec, if you want to cheese him, good bow (pharis definitely, maybe long bow) + hawk ring (hidden behind giant blacksmith) + max range and you can just snipe without aggroing.

I did grab the Large Ember and gave it to Andre. I was just skeptical about upgrading the Halberd further. I have the Black Knight Sword, which I could upgrade for some better damage if I grind souls from Silver Knights to buy Twinkling Titanite from the Giant Blacksmith. I just not sure if I should try switching to another weapoon to use as an alternative, like the Iaito or a greatsword. I'm not sure, since I really haven't experimented with the other weapons much.

I didn't think you could leave Anor Londo. I figured once the bat demon drop you off, you're stuck there until you get the Lordvessel to teleport back.

EDIT: I should also say that I didn't do anything in Darkroot Garden, and that I haven't returned to the Asylum, so maybe I should backtrack there and do the Moonlight Butterfly fight and stuff before trying to continue forward in Anor Londo.

Armor is the other issue I'm still have. I'm carrying a couple sets of heavy armor (Catarina, Tarkus, and Havel sets), but I never feel real confident about using them. It doesn't feel like they make that much difference in terms of shrugging off damage, and I'm under the impression that it's unwise to have overly heavy equipment set, else you lose speed and a quicker roll. I read that your equipment set has to be at or under 25% of your total carry rate in order in order to keep that speed up.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Speaking of cheater nonsense, back when Ariandel was released I encountered some strange fellow who somehow summoned themselves into my game. The character's name was Navi, she was otherwise invisible but had a small glowing light at about head height and ran around spamming the shout gesture with young female voice of course. I first thought it was an invader, but since she didn't attack me and rather helped me against enemy knights and also could enter Vordt's boss arena with me, it was something else. She didn't gently caress with my stats and this happened on the high wall, so I didn't really care, but bonus points for at least being creative.

Edit:

Max Wilco posted:

Armor is the other issue I'm still have. I'm carrying a couple sets of heavy armor (Catarina, Tarkus, and Havel sets), but I never feel real confident about using them. It doesn't feel like they make that much difference in terms of shrugging off damage, and I'm under the impression that it's unwise to have overly heavy equipment set, else you lose speed and a quicker roll. I read that your equipment set has to be at or under 25% of your total carry rate in order in order to keep that speed up.

Under 25% equip load gives you the fastest roll and movement speed, yes, but just having it under 50% gives you the medium versions, which are still very very good. Tarkus and Havel sets are heavy as gently caress, but the Catarina set is much lighter in comparison and still gives you solid defense. I recommend trying that one out.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I just not sure if I should try switching to another weapoon to use as an alternative, like the Iaito or a greatsword. I'm not sure, since I really haven't experimented with the other weapons much.

Well at this point in the game, regular titanite to at least try out weapons at +5 isn't prohibitively expensive. Hell, since large titanite's buyable, that's not a huge investment either to get to +10. It's when you go past that or down one of the elemental routes that you're stuck actually having to farm poo poo.

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't think you could leave Anor Londo. I figured once the bat demon drop you off, you're stuck there until you get the Lordvessel to teleport back.

Nope, you can hike back to the spot you were dropped off, and it'll carry you right back to the boss arena at Sen's where it picked you up in the first place.

As for armor, I generally went with the heaviest thing I could fast roll in (Havel's Ring helps a ton, as does Wolf Ring for getting a lot of poise without needing a lot of heavy armor) for most fights, and then for a few where I'd basically just be tanky and trade blows (Capra Demon, Four Kings) I'd put on the heaviest loving thing I had available.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
So the Ringed City is not showing in my add-ons and is "unavailable to purchase" in the store since I have the season pass. Same deal for lots of folk all over Europe - but season-pass holders in NA are supposedly able to add it to their library already (even if it's just the unlock key and the content was in the patch anyway).

Are Sony Europe really that incompetent??

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In Steam's case, restarting it works. Maybe it works for the PSN too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Taratang posted:

So the Ringed City is not showing in my add-ons and is "unavailable to purchase" in the store since I have the season pass. Same deal for lots of folk all over Europe - but season-pass holders in NA are supposedly able to add it to their library already (even if it's just the unlock key and the content was in the patch anyway).

Are Sony Europe really that incompetent??

I can confirm that, as someone that owns the season pass, I was able to preload the dlc in na from the store page. I guess it is just an eu problem

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Dicktron posted:

In Steam's case, restarting it works. Maybe it works for the PSN too.

Yeah, Steam is always weird about DLC. Restarting did the trick. :woop:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm having so much more fun with this playthrough pretending the game is Bloodborne. I just strap a Grasscrest shield to my back and dance around with Gotthard's Twin Swords. To hell with standing there taking hits with my shield up like a rube, that stamina could be used for attacking!

I'm going for a Strength/Quality build, are there any really good "fuuuuuuuck you" heavy weapons to build towards? Demon's Greataxe? Smough's Hammer? I was really liking the Hollowslayer Greatsword for most of my NG run.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think you guys were right about my SL being kind of low for where I was. Looking at the at SL60, I was getting the most embers on the dragonslayer armor bonfire. Been sunbroing there as Big McLargeHuge, and it is constant summons. I can't go 20 seconds after putting my sign down without getting summoned. Have already helped 15 or so clears and got some 250k soulmonies out of it. Should put me closer to where I want to be for the DLC, I think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can you pre-download all the stuff now, just not unlock it yet?

edit: whoops I thought it came out tomorrow. never mind.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2017

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Still can't claim Ringed City because I "already own the Season Pass". Sort your poo poo Sony.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Taratang posted:

Still can't claim Ringed City because I "already own the Season Pass". Sort your poo poo Sony.

I had to go to the preorder the ringed city standalone and it let me claim it for free and began downloading. This is in the us. I have the season pass.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was getting a bunch of connection errors in game, and then saw the noticed in the corner that it had finished downloading. It is up and working now. The entrance is a bonfire right behind the kiln of the first flame bonfire.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

hanales posted:

I had to go to the preorder the ringed city standalone and it let me claim it for free and began downloading. This is in the us. I have the season pass.
Like I said above, it's fine for NA. In EU, the Ringed City preorder page doesn't say free, it says unavailable for purchase. Selecting the button specifies that it's unavailable because I already have the season pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Taratang posted:

Like I said above, it's fine for NA. In EU, the Ringed City preorder page doesn't say free, it says unavailable for purchase. Selecting the button specifies that it's unavailable because I already have the season pass.

Same

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I restarted Steam and unchecked then re-checked Ringed City under DLC, it works now. In EU.

Also the second bonfire... this is gonna be a hell of a ride boys

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Working now in EU PS store after a restart.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also the second bonfire... this is gonna be a hell of a ride boys

From is trolling the hell out of us with this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

of all the enemies to bring back to kick my rear end humiliatingly loving desert pyromancers

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ah yes, steam overlay reenabled itself and the good old crash at bonfire bug.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Played up until the first boss. Man, what a gimmick leading up to it. Gonna assume they are angels, haven't read any item descriptions yet. Really annoying at first, but really simple once you figure out how to handle them. Plus you can take them out too. Feels kinda like the Dragon God fight in Demon's Souls only it's a much more lengthy and involved section.

But Now I gotta go to bed. Need to get up in six hours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm in!!!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
TAKE THE PLUNGE

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust this squatting tin can who sounds like Patches at all. Now he's telling me there's treasure? Fromsoft please

This is already crazy. They're namedropping stuff like the pygmy and dark soul all over the place, and there's ANGELS!? I wonder if they're gonna spell it all out by the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man, Flamelurker 2.0 was actually a pretty dang good boss. I liked the Demon Prince a lot!