Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I know a bunch of engineers and data scientists at Carvana. They are a good shop and are actually trying to improve the experience and disrupt the dealer model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Jealous Cow posted:

I know a bunch of engineers and data scientists at Carvana. They are a good shop and are actually trying to improve the experience and disrupt the dealer model.

lol if you think that engineers and scientists determine that model. (i am an engineer albeit not in the auto industry)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OneOverZero posted:

:madmax::respek::madmax:

I also found out last week that my beater 541,000mi XJ does not appreciate being loaded to the bumpstops with topsoil and cypress mulch.

When I had my Cherokee, I discovered it will pull a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer filled 3 layers deep with paving stones just fine (4-banger, BTW), and the brakes are fine. However, it did overwhelm the traction of the cheap tires I had. Nearly slid into an intersection the first stop.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

lol if you think that engineers and scientists determine that model. (i am an engineer albeit not in the auto industry)

Ehh I know more than that about them. They are on the up and up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was hoping the UFO would take my Saturn to visit Saturn (and hopefully bring it back in one piece), but I don't think this UFO is going anywhere.

But.. been wanting to get a few pics of this place.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was hoping the UFO would take my Saturn to visit Saturn (and hopefully bring it back in one piece), but I don't think this UFO is going anywhere.

I'd say two out of the three parts of that acronym are inaccurate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Where the hell is that?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Terrible cell phone picture but I really love these wheels and I'm glad I didn't get bronze. Some of the best wheels for the price, a set of Konig Hypergrams can be had for under 800 bucks shipped. These are 18x8.5 in matte grey and weigh in at 17.4 lbs each.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Here is my super dumb lowered allroad again. I had it up for sale for a while and got a surprising amount of offers. I've regretted selling a lot of my previous cars and knew this would be just another that I sold too soon, so I decided to keep it and sell the Jeep instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quit selling your cool cars DS.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Coolnezzz posted:

Terrible cell phone picture but I really love these wheels and I'm glad I didn't get bronze. Some of the best wheels for the price, a set of Konig Hypergrams can be had for under 800 bucks shipped. These are 18x8.5 in matte grey and weigh in at 17.4 lbs each.

You good sir have excellent taste in wheels, but your choice in color needs work. 17x9 Konig Hypergramsin the one true color, Race Bronze. Orginally ordered 17x8, but Konig had them on backorder until end of march/begining of april so they sent me these instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I want that UFO.

DropShadow posted:

Here is my super dumb lowered allroad again. I had it up for sale for a while and got a surprising amount of offers. I've regretted selling a lot of my previous cars and knew this would be just another that I sold too soon, so I decided to keep it and sell the Jeep instead.

And this is still one of the coolest looking cars around.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want that UFO.

You're in luck, there's a decent number of them known to exist!

Darchangel posted:

Where the hell is that?

It's one of three known Futuro Houses known to exist in Texas. This is the easiest to access one; it's (barely) in Royse City off of SH 276 (so a long drive for you, about 20 minutes for me), and nobody bothers you so long as you don't look like someone that would hold a can of spray paint - I was out there for about 45 minutes, with my car parked right next to it - nobody ever approached me, and it's on a very well travelled road.

If you just start typing "Futuro House" into Google Maps while you're in Texas, it should be one of the first results.

There's another in Rockwall, but it's next to someone's house and on very private property. The third known is in Austin, and is still in some kind of active use. This one is sitting on a major road and very visible to anyone and everyone going by.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 27, 2017

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : got my late old man's hot rod fired up again, in time to get it moved out of his house before the closing date. Here's my buddy dicking around with it:

https://goo.gl/photos/C9v1YrjZDBCCttLT7

Was only pulled over by one out of the two state troopers whose path I crossed in the process of getting it to my mom's garage. Young guy, thankfully saw my temporary inspection but didn't notice it's expired. (everything else is legal. registration / plates / insurance etc.)

Next step is to get an inspection sticker for it. He had a friend with a garage that always just gave him a sticker, but he kind of doesn't really keep his garage open any more. Does anyone have any tips regarding New York State's laws for passing a '33 dodge? I've heard it's exempt from most regulations, and that whatever's INSTALLED on the vehicle has to work (turn signals, etc) but beyond that so long as it's not putting up big clouds of black smoke it should be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You're in luck, there's a decent number of them known to exist!

It's one of three known Futuro Houses known to exist in Texas. This is the easiest to access one; it's (barely) in Royse City off of SH 276 (so a long drive for you, about 20 minutes for me), and nobody bothers you so long as you don't look like someone that would hold a can of spray paint - I was out there for about 45 minutes, with my car parked right next to it - nobody ever approached me, and it's on a very well travelled road.

If you just start typing "Futuro House" into Google Maps while you're in Texas, it should be one of the first results.

There's another in Rockwall, but it's next to someone's house and on very private property. The third known is in Austin, and is still in some kind of active use. This one is sitting on a major road and very visible to anyone and everyone going by.

Coooooooooool

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Coooooooooool

We've got a larger one here in Signal Mountain:

It's now a "unique rental home" because no one wants actually to own it and live in it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I hope the pipes out the bottom are connected directly to the toilets.

Kind of a fail on the windows. Looks like a UFO prison.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Darchangel posted:

When I had my Cherokee, I discovered it will pull a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer filled 3 layers deep with paving stones just fine (4-banger, BTW), and the brakes are fine. However, it did overwhelm the traction of the cheap tires I had. Nearly slid into an intersection the first stop.

I never managed to take a picture of my Ranger overloaded with anything weight wise. I didn't have a digital camera or smartphone at the time.

I did get this hilarious picture though:

Edit: the top of the slide lined up perfectly with my sliding back window so I put my subwoofer in there and drove around blasting bass through this giant curly q of a megaphone.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 28, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I never managed to take a picture of my Ranger overloaded with anything weight wise. I didn't have a digital camera or smartphone at the time.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oddly enough, my load of paving stones didn't look terrible. the trailer sat a bit low, but not on the stops, and it was distributed evenly, with only a few extra pavers at the front, so the Jeep was more or less level, too. It just didn't want to stop! Way more brakes than tires. Probably would have been fine(er) with trailer brakes, but it's a HF 4x8. Pulled fine all the way home (about 20-30 miles). I just had to plan stops.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

3" stainless would probably have been fine, tbh.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Edit: the top of the slide lined up perfectly with my sliding back window so I put my subwoofer in there and drove around blasting bass through this giant curly q of a megaphone.

Sick intake bro!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a Ranger, and now a new Life Goal for it. I don't have the sliding window (nor a subwoofer) but this is a great reason to get those things. Also, an excuse to drive around with a slide like that. My friends have two small boys and a backyard that's probably big enough....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Sick intake bro!

I want to believe it sounded like blowing past the opening of a soda bottle, only on a massive scale, when driving.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Oddly enough, my load of paving stones didn't look terrible.
the trailer sat a bit low, but not on the stops,
and it was distributed evenly, with only a few extra pavers at the front,
so the Jeep was more or less level, too.
It just didn't want to stop!
Way more brakes than tires. Probably would have been fine(er)
with trailer brakes, but it's a HF 4x8. Pulled fine all the way home
(about 20-30 miles).
I just had to plan stops.

I had to stop and figure out why i was reading this in Eminems voice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ExecuDork posted:

I have a Ranger, and now a new Life Goal for it. I don't have the sliding window (nor a subwoofer) but this is a great reason to get those things. Also, an excuse to drive around with a slide like that. My friends have two small boys and a backyard that's probably big enough....

Better goal: Make the bed of the truck a redneck pool and bolt the slide to the roof.

Wire a sump pump direct to the battery and run a hose to the top of the slide and you got yourself a mobile waterslide!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Say goodbye to my little friend :smith:

That was enough to write it off, apparently. Lots of expensive plastic parts and bent to poo poo metal behind the badge = over £3000 of repairs.

Still, something new and shiny is now on the cards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AirRaid posted:

Say goodbye to my little friend :smith:

That was enough to write it off, apparently. Lots of expensive plastic parts and bent to poo poo metal behind the badge = over £3000 of repairs.

Still, something new and shiny is now on the cards.

No airbag deployment?

Looks like something you could bodge back into a very nice cheap runaround

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Killstick posted:

I had to stop and figure out why i was reading this in Eminems voice.

Now that would confuse rap fans.

spog posted:

No airbag deployment?

Looks like something you could bodge back into a very nice cheap runaround

I'm with him. The core support/latch can probably be wrangled back into place with enough cursing and hammering.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You're probably both right.

But the insurance cheque coupled with a little more money allowed me to do this -

So I'm not complaining (now) :dance:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

April 2010, 100,600 miles. New to me and shiny.

April 2017, 199,268 miles. Dumped at we buy any car for £50.

It's been the perfect car for me for the past 7 years, reliable if maintenance hungry. Despite knackered brakes and DMF it drove beautifully on its final trip. The final straw was the MOT tester refusing to even try MOTing it because the bent tailgate hinges meant the boot wouldn't open properly. Rust in peace you brilliant piece of poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AirRaid posted:

You're probably both right.

But the insurance cheque coupled with a little more money allowed me to do this -

So I'm not complaining (now) :dance:

How little is 'little'?

Cause that is a stunning upgrade.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

spog posted:

How little is 'little'?

Yeah nice car, those jags are really becoming affordable and still look good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

stump posted:

It's been the perfect car for me for the past 7 years, reliable if maintenance hungry. Despite knackered brakes and DMF it drove beautifully on its final trip. The final straw was the MOT tester refusing to even try MOTing it because the bent tailgate hinges meant the boot wouldn't open properly. Rust in peace you brilliant piece of poo poo.

May it ride on in Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

spog posted:

How little is 'little'?

Yeah, 3K from the insurance, plus another 7. :ohdear:

Still, within my limits, having gotten a way better paying job last year, and I have to agree with your assessment on the upgrade.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

stump posted:

I've never understood inspection laws that are so ridiculously picky. How is a tailgate that doesn't open properly, BUT STILL WORKS, a safety issue?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It might not open during an emergency. That is about it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I've never understood inspection laws that are so ridiculously picky. How is a tailgate that doesn't open properly, BUT STILL WORKS, a safety issue?

I think they would need access to check the battery is secure, and it couldn't be opened without the tailgate catching on the body and causing damage.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

stump posted:

I think they would need access to check the battery is secure, and it couldn't be opened without the tailgate catching on the body and causing damage.

uhhhh? ok, i guess.

How much does a MOT cost? It sounds ridiculously thorough. Inspection where I am costs $12.50 and they basically make sure the brakes work and the car isn't breaking in half with rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

chrisgt posted:

uhhhh? ok, i guess.

How much does a MOT cost? It sounds ridiculously thorough. Inspection where I am costs $12.50 and they basically make sure the brakes work and the car isn't breaking in half with rust.

£27 for the test.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/449392/mot-inspection-checklist-vt29.pdf

It's pretty thorough, and they will advise you on things which aren't a fail but could become a problem.

You can now get an MOT history for a car online, https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ which is super handy for checking out cars on eBay.