Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I bought the pit viper samurai outfit for my nobushi as I'm a dumb idiot that loves the cherry blossom effect. I thought the text description suggested it applies for all samurai group characters, but nope. Cherry blossoms is still locked out on my kensei.

Did I read it wrong, gently caress up, or is this a bug?

I just wanna dazzle my opponents and look pretty :(

You have to buy it for all of them separately. There is a bundle to buy it for all samurai but it costs like 36000 or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I haven't played in a while because the updates are so glacial and inconsequential but when I last played I definitely did better if I consciously stopped attacking and started turtling. Its just about reacting to the opponent's attack and punishing rather than attacking and being punished yourself, most of the game at that level seems to boil down to Parry > Guard Break > Guaranteed damage until you get SUPER badass and start doing Feint -> Parry -> Guard Break -> Guaranteed.

Then I rerolled PK and literally just spammed light attack while twirling the stick then GB - stab, stab stab, and had great success. You've still got to be slightly good about it but her dodge is like 150% of the distance and speed of the next fastest character (I started playing her after watching a PK dodging and noticing just how much faster she was than my Zerker) and her mixups are totally brutal.

My friend has exclusively played PK since launch and tries too many tricks, you just have to find an opening and start mixing up and grabbing, her strong attacks deal lots of damage but everyone parries them now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

I haven't played in a while because the updates are so glacial and inconsequential but when I last played I definitely did better if I consciously stopped attacking and started turtling. Its just about reacting to the opponent's attack and punishing rather than attacking and being punished yourself, most of the game at that level seems to boil down to Parry > Guard Break > Guaranteed damage until you get SUPER badass and start doing Feint -> Parry -> Guard Break -> Guaranteed.

Then I rerolled PK and literally just spammed light attack while twirling the stick then GB - stab, stab stab, and had great success. You've still got to be slightly good about it but her dodge is like 150% of the distance and speed of the next fastest character (I started playing her after watching a PK dodging and noticing just how much faster she was than my Zerker) and her mixups are totally brutal.

My friend has exclusively played PK since launch and tries too many tricks, you just have to find an opening and start mixing up and grabbing, her strong attacks deal lots of damage but everyone parries them now.

I love making GBS threads on PK's as Valk, my spear sweep causes them to dodge after every shield bash, so I either guard break them, or mix it up with light attacks. Feels good man.

Though I had an Orochi who kept spamming dodge so my light attacks would cause him to deflect. It was pure chance, cause when I'd top light attack instead after shield bash, he'd dodge sideways.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You have to buy it for all of them separately. There is a bundle to buy it for all samurai but it costs like 36000 or something like that.

God dammit, game. :sigh:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trillhouse posted:

Tier list for 1v1 is usually

Warlord
Conquerer
PeaceKeeper
Warden

Shugoki
Valk
Nobushi

Orachi
Kensei
Berserker
Lawbringer
Raider

I don't understand if this is meant to be read from worst to best or best to worst because honestly the game is pretty tight on balance and everyone having their own little good gimmick.

Kensei is a very silent character. You rarely see it being played but he's hella good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It looks really fun but based on the reviews it looks like every single player on PC can only get functional matches less than half the time, which is unacceptable for a game so heavily reliant upon online play. It's a shame too because I'd totally play this otherwise.

I'm on ps4 but that's obviously a huge exaggeration

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I don't typically spam shield bash and spear sweep, cause like you said, it feels cheap and I don't really learn anything from the fight. I'll mix it in every so often since it's a drat good move, but I'll rely on feints and my normal combos to get them.

I absolutely loathe people who just spam the same move over and over, it's super cheap.

Shield bash into spear sweep isn't going to end up being reliable because the sweep that comes out of bash is really slow, so it's good to avoid using it a lot. Sweep at the end of chains is much faster and harder to counter (although people who are watching the combo will know it's coming).

The opponents I'm facing now are getting better at parrying lights, so I'm actually having to shield bash more in order to throw them off otherwise you die really, really fast to almost every other character when they're getting free GBs off light parries.

That all being said, I've started winning fights just off of a few pokes to throw the opponent off and bashes/feints/wide open heavies. Fear of the sweep ends up being stronger than the sweep itself!

Also I really need to get better at parrying light attacks. Enough practice and my old man reactions might be up to it I suppose.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 27, 2017

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm on ps4 but that's obviously a huge exaggeration

Yeah agreed that's bullshit. The disconnects are pretty bad in 4v4 modes but 1v1 and 2v2 are perfectly fine. People exaggerate, game is fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there a good site somewhere that has all the models for high level gear? Trying to decide which character to play next and most of the wikis I'm finding are incomplete.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mans posted:

Kensei is a very silent character. You rarely see it being played but he's hella good.

I wish he was good, he's mostly fine right up until someone just plays defensive. When that happens he has zero moves that actually FORCE someone to open up like a bash or headbutt, all he can do is hope to feint someone into action but "higher up" that just never works anymore because people know that's all he has, they'll sit there and wait until he tries a side attack which is a free GB even on block or they'll poke him to death with better trades because his only real quick move is his dash top. Like the game's tight-ish on balance only below a certain point, after that there's a handful of characters who are plain old equipped so much better that about the only times they get displaced for a short time is when someone finds out some new bug, that does something strong enough like makes raider's zone unblockable/unparryable and similar, which is just gonna get fixed before any other significant balance changes and then it's back to warlord, conq, PK and warden reigning supreme.

I enjoy this game a lot despite how my posting keeps turning into griping about a handful of classes, but it really is making me sad that the longer it goes on I'm just not allowed to play some characters to have fun anymore, because more and more all I run into is people now on the blatant "top tier" for the time and either they slowly prick me to death with problems like what I described for kensei up there or they just demolish some of the worse guys. It's seriously a rich get richer situation when they fix stuff like shugoki's wonky charged heavy from before or when they're undoubtedly gonna fix raider's bugged zone, those characters then get dipped right back down to where they were, yet they haven't felt like fixing the indicator stuff on orochi/warden/other's zone attacks or something like PK/assassins being able to decide "Nah I'm not gonna fall down" when they get pushed while out of stamina, which is another real lovely bug that's easily replicated.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Eh, if someone turtles you on Kensei you gotta up your feint game and do forward dashing mixups. Forward top light, then forward with nothing, another forward top, then go into the dash GB and hope they don't have quick enough reactions to tech it.

Poor you just out turtle them and stay patient. Eventually someone needs to attack, so you just dodge the headbutt or bashes and wait for the opening.

It's definitely not ideal, but there isn't an "unbeatable" scenario.

I will say that that dashing GB needs to be harder to tech out of, but then again if it was it'd be totally abused and people would cry. In general the GB tech window needs to be tighter, though, it's way too easy to panic tech out of stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fuzz posted:

In general the GB tech window needs to be tighter, though, it's way too easy to panic tech out of stuff.

Definitely, this is another one of the core problems that makes defensive/punish-only play so powerful, it's piss easy to get out of (Obviously non-guaranteed) GBs and it entirely defangs them as a solution to people hanging back forever.

And yeah I'm not saying it's impossible for some classes to ever beat the top guys, it's just a real slog most of the time.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 27, 2017

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

This is going to sound weird, but has anyone else seen this happen? I was playing as Warlord against a Conq in elimination and I got what I think is the first frame or two of a confirmed hit then it would get blocked. When the block animation would start, the Conq's life bar would refund the damage I did. I even had the Conq dead, the black box popped up for the execute options then it disappeared, refunded the health, and he hit his revenge (gear score OP). This is so weird and the only reason it was frustrating was because we were having such a good fight. We must be right around the same skill level.

As an aside, I noticed there's three ways to report someone but no way to give them a positive feedback thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mambo No. 5 posted:

This is going to sound weird, but has anyone else seen this happen? I was playing as Warlord against a Conq in elimination and I got what I think is the first frame or two of a confirmed hit then it would get blocked. When the block animation would start, the Conq's life bar would refund the damage I did. I even had the Conq dead, the black box popped up for the execute options then it disappeared, refunded the health, and he hit his revenge (gear score OP). This is so weird and the only reason it was frustrating was because we were having such a good fight. We must be right around the same skill level.

As an aside, I noticed there's three ways to report someone but no way to give them a positive feedback thing.

It's this on PC? Never ever seen this on PS4, if it's a hack it's a weird one.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I've seen the opposite thing happen on PS4. Looks like it was blocked for a few frames, split second, but then damage goes through. It even made the little block effect graphic and sound. Happened all through a duel with someone including once where he appeared to block it then died. I figured it was lovely lag or big time packet loss or something.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I've been getting similar things in elimination, mainly the execution prompt showing up and immediately disappearing when I would have been able to kill someone with a heavy but they pop revenge just in time.

Revenge is dumb. Even now that I have high level gear and can do the same annoying thing everyone else is doing, it doesn't feel any less dumb.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Fuzz posted:

It's this on PC? Never ever seen this on PS4, if it's a hack it's a weird one.

Xbox One actually. I wish I had recorded it.

^^ Packet loss could be an explanation right? My isp isn't the greatest, nor is the service level available to me.

^ I think I've had that happen to me once or twice as well, but I still don't have the gear score to replicate it. Also to clarify, the block-thing happened before he popped revenge, it was like insult to injury at that point.

Edit: I read that slightly wrong, but it always seems that they can pull it off but I never can.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've been getting similar things in elimination, mainly the execution prompt showing up and immediately disappearing when I would have been able to kill someone with a heavy but they pop revenge just in time.

Revenge is dumb. Even now that I have high level gear and can do the same annoying thing everyone else is doing, it doesn't feel any less dumb.

In a 1v1 it's dumb but I think fighting against 2 or 3 would be a lot less workable without it

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Xbox One actually. I wish I had recorded it.

^^ Packet loss could be an explanation right? My isp isn't the greatest, nor is the service level available to me.

^ I think I've had that happen to me once or twice as well, but I still don't have the gear score to replicate it. Also to clarify, the block-thing happened before he popped revenge, it was like insult to injury at that point.

Edit: I read that slightly wrong, but it always seems that they can pull it off but I never can.

well on your screen it would just look like a normal block, the rollback favours the defender.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

In a 1v1 it's dumb but I think fighting against 2 or 3 would be a lot less workable without it

You're probably right, but I don't really see how they would ever make anything above 1v1 feel right. I've put a lot of time into the game at this point and still get the impression that it's a 1v1 game that has some extra modes tacked on even though they don't really work. It would be like if you were playing Tekken and had to worry about another player hitting you from behind all the time, the game mechanics don't really allow for that to happen in any sensible way so revenge is a kind of failed attempt to make it balanced. I can hold my own in all the 4v4 modes but still only play them for the sake of completing daily quests.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I hate the surprise attack from behind but if you're ready for it you can block from all directions. Then they start GBing as well and it gets a bit overwhelming. It's easier to position yourself so all opponents are on one side. My game is to block everything with warlord then get revenge and headbutt all comers. 2v1 is winnable, 3v1 leans more to the side of how long can I last. It all works better when your team helps of course

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Shield bash into spear sweep isn't going to end up being reliable because the sweep that comes out of bash is really slow, so it's good to avoid using it a lot. Sweep at the end of chains is much faster and harder to counter (although people who are watching the combo will know it's coming).

The opponents I'm facing now are getting better at parrying lights, so I'm actually having to shield bash more in order to throw them off otherwise you die really, really fast to almost every other character when they're getting free GBs off light parries.

That all being said, I've started winning fights just off of a few pokes to throw the opponent off and bashes/feints/wide open heavies. Fear of the sweep ends up being stronger than the sweep itself!

Also I really need to get better at parrying light attacks. Enough practice and my old man reactions might be up to it I suppose.

Ah that's what I meant. It can be quite easy to spam shield bash (heavy into GB) and then mix it up with either a GB to get them mid-dodge, or light attacks. Typically, once I've got someone in a corner, I can just open them up constantly with shield bash and there's not much for them to do because I have so many options of what I can do.

I wasn't aware that Valk could finish combos with a spear sweep, cheers for that.

Fuzz posted:

Eh, if someone turtles you on Kensei you gotta up your feint game and do forward dashing mixups. Forward top light, then forward with nothing, another forward top, then go into the dash GB and hope they don't have quick enough reactions to tech it.

Poor you just out turtle them and stay patient. Eventually someone needs to attack, so you just dodge the headbutt or bashes and wait for the opening.

It's definitely not ideal, but there isn't an "unbeatable" scenario.

I will say that that dashing GB needs to be harder to tech out of, but then again if it was it'd be totally abused and people would cry. In general the GB tech window needs to be tighter, though, it's way too easy to panic tech out of stuff.

Honestly, Kensei is a beast at owning Assassin classes. Our blocks are timed, so we constantly need to readjust to block incoming attacks. I straight up get mindfucked by Kensei when I play as Orochi, cause he'll dash forward, causing me to block up, then heavy top, cancel, heavy side, cancel then top light me. Once I've been hit, it becomes really stressful blocking new attacks and it's easy for him to get inside my head and just make my brain fart.

Straight up, if your feint game is strong, it doesn't even need to connect. It'll just make enemies second guess everything, and the minute you have them panicked is the minute they start loving up their parries etc.

Edit: I love playing with Nobushi, but Ubi completely dropped the ball when it comes to controller users. Her hidden stance is so useless, because you can't change attacking direction whilst in it using controller. Trying to just brings you out of it. PC Nobushi players have a much higher advantage, cause they can slither into hidden stance and change attack direction.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 28, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
:salt: "do you have anything but two combos noob?"
:smug: "Shugoki literally only has two combos."

*Demon's Embraces for the fourth time in the same round*

Parry, Throw into wall, Wallbounce, Demon's Embrace might be my favourite thing in the whole game. It's just so meaty, and the HP swing decides most rounds.

E: Things you learn to virulently hate as a Shugoki main:

1. Bleeds & Poisons. The damage they do seems to ignore the resistance stance.
2. People being thrown on very low stamina values. It seems the bar can still be going up or down from whatever happened before, but the effect of the Parry xx Throw is decided by where it will end, not where it is when they're thrown. So you can throw a guy into a wall with a sliver of stam and he'll go prone (now your Demon's Embrace whiffs) or you can throw them with zero and because it was starting to regen they'll wallbounce (now your charged heavy overhead will be parried and you'll die.)
3. Open spaces. Shugoki is agrophobic.
4. Any mode where you have to play 'catch the shitbirds'. I just pretend Skirmish doesn't exist at this point.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shockeh posted:

4. Any mode where you have to play 'catch the shitbirds'. I just pretend Skirmish doesn't exist at this point.

Step 1: Load into elimination

Step 2: Pick anyone that's not high move speed

Step 3: The assassin runs away for buffs and you can't do anything to ever stop this (I'm a raider with maxed sprint speed and they still blast off too quickly)

Optional step: Activate juggernaut in any fight ever and watch even the slowest fatmen leisurely stroll away from you until it runs out

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 28, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, as a character with low movespeed, I have no idea whatsoever why the buffs are implemented the way they are. I'd say maybe they thought they'd balance it around the idea the faster characters with more consistently get access to them, but that's patently not even been considered.

The only upshot is the majority of players in the 4v4 queues are absolute loving garbage, and have no idea what they're doing if not gangbanging someone. You start being able to do gimmicky 3 on 1's if you can Guard Break and Parry well, just by tossing the little fuckers into holes/cliffs/ponds.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Yeah, that's just plain old lag. The game does some client-side prediction to make things look more smooth. So what happened is you launched your attack, and on your end you didn't get a signal that the enemy blocked in time, so your game goes ahead and already displays the hit and damage. But your opponent actually did manage the block in time and the information was just delayed due to the slow connection, so when that signal does finally reach you, the game spools back for a few milliseconds and reverts its prediction.

Yardbomb posted:

Definitely, this is another one of the core problems that makes defensive/punish-only play so powerful, it's piss easy to get out of (Obviously non-guaranteed) GBs and it entirely defangs them as a solution to people hanging back forever.

And yeah I'm not saying it's impossible for some classes to ever beat the top guys, it's just a real slog most of the time.

Yeah, I'm currently giving Berserker a try, and it does feel like a slog at times. On paper, Berserker is pretty alright. Very quick light attacks, good dodges, and most importantly good confirms on Parries, Deflects, and Guardbreaks. But then I go up against an Orochi or Peacekeeper, and they have pretty much the same base capabilities as me except they get about 50% more damage out of everything. It's not impossible, but it is an unnecessarily steep uphill battle.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think I'm shelving this unless the devs announce what the hell they're planning to do to rebalance in the next few days. Also the fact that the promise of weekly updates lasted only 3 weeks before vanishing without a word isn't promising.

It's a shame, the game has so much potential that's being squandered right now.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This game is such a slog to get back into if you ever take a break for more than a few weeks.

It doesn't help that I only have a few prestige 1 heroes and no 2s or 3s which makes the 4v4 modes not fun. That and whenever I end up in a match with a gold player (all 10 matches last night) someone on the opposite side of him abandons immediately.

This game is fun but it needs work and it needs it soon.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The weekly dev stream was postponed until later this week on account of the servers going down. :(. Was hoping for news on a balance patch+getting the removed maps back.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Peacekeeper has been banned from all MLG Tournaments after dominating every single quarterfinal and above for weeks.

LOL

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Peacekeeper has been banned from all MLG Tournaments after dominating every single quarterfinal and above for weeks.

LOL

They will just need a couple more months to gather data on whether peacekeeper needs more buffs or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They will just need a couple more months to gather data on whether peacekeeper needs more buffs or not.

Several people have noted that the 30fps + controller dead zone on consoles makes them struggle against fast spammy stuff. Honest to god every game should have Nioh mode now (a choice between 60fps at dynamic resolution or 30fps at locked 1080p)

I know it's kind of given wisdom that For Honor is a fighting game but if any traditional fighting game was released at an unlocked 30fps it would be crucified.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Several people have noted that the 30fps + controller dead zone on consoles makes them struggle against fast spammy stuff. Honest to god every game should have Nioh mode now (a choice between 60fps at dynamic resolution or 30fps at locked 1080p)

I know it's kind of given wisdom that For Honor is a fighting game but if any traditional fighting game was released at an unlocked 30fps it would be crucified.

Yeah, it's significantly more difficult to block light attack spam on console for me. I'm curious how much of it is my TVs input lag (120hz samsung in game mode) and how much is the PS4 itself, like if I hooked this up to a monitor would it be easier?

Ah well. It's the same with rocket league, those 30 extra fps really make a huge difference.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

They haven't even put the missing maps back in yet? Smdh

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

nopantsjack posted:

They haven't even put the missing maps back in yet? Smdh

Nope. They also promised weekly content updates pre-release and we didn't get any last week. They've taken more stuff away than they've given.

Edit: I'm still having fun though now that my gear is maxed out. I ran the numbers and if I'm double teamed, a single heavy parry gives me revenge, which gives double damage and a 60% damage reduction plus 50 health. And all the other perks.

Revenge gear is ridiculous. I don't know if I've ever used something so overpowered in a multiplayer video game.

There is nothing more infuriating than 1v1ing someone, getting them almost dead, and then having an idiot teammate run in and start slashing so the opponent gets revenge. It makes me so mad.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Step 1: Load into elimination

Step 2: Pick anyone that's not high move speed

Step 3: The assassin runs away for buffs and you can't do anything to ever stop this (I'm a raider with maxed sprint speed and they still blast off too quickly)

Optional step: Activate juggernaut in any fight ever and watch even the slowest fatmen leisurely stroll away from you until it runs out

Shugoki is my favourite class by far but yeah, a bit too limited. Since I started playing my prestige 0 PK a bit doing the whole "nah thanks I'm just gonna run away" thing whenever someone gets close to beating you is really funny. Better is to do it when you've just bled them enough that it'll kill them.

Comments about them not remotely balancing fast classes ability to harvest buffs are totally on point. That would suggest they had bothered to balance anything though rather than just making characters and hoping to balance things post release based on raw winrate data.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

LOL

Are these tournaments are usually played on PC or console?

I know most of the streamers are on pc but I dunno if that is the 'pro scene' too. I actually find it easier to beat PK on PS4 than on pc but I think it's because PS4 players are shittier.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

LOL

I don't really count matches against PK. As soon as I see who I'm matched up against I know they're going to spam light attacks faster than I can react or switch guard to block them, and I'll lose. Even characters I hate fighting against like Warden and Valk at least have an interesting dynamic where I have to guess my way out of a combo, PK is just annoying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This is why I like Kensei in duels... The spam PK people don't know what to do when you side dodge and smack them for the three hit side chain with super armor and suddenly almost all of their health is gone while I have half a bar or more. Throw in a GB top heavy and they're done. Rub it in their face with the spam taunt where it looks like the Kensei is jerking off his sword hilt. Fun for the whole family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Captain Beans posted:

Are these tournaments are usually played on PC or console?

The ban applies to consoles.