Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

McLaren will finish on the podium in at least one race this year.

This is as likely as a Venezuelan getting a loaf of bread.

Not saying it's impossible but blood is gonna get spilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

McLaren will finish on the podium in at least one race this year.

There's bold predictions and then there's "I read this scrawled on the wall of a bus stop bathroom in feces" predictions.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't know a single person from our generation that has cable without living at their parents or in a house with four other roommates to split the bill.

What generation would that be?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol 'our' generation.

The only thing I would have in common with most of the posters here is that I post about F1 in a usually lovely thread

It's the usual SA Forums thing that I should just give less of a gently caress because if I actually met most of these people for real I wouldn't give them the time of day

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wuffles posted:

What generation would that be?

Take a random stab.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Under 25s living home and wondering what you're going to be when you grow up?

edit: hence why being on the 'outer' actually is a good thing

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The Australian GP was basically any average GP from like 2000-2007

It was decent.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you like overtaking and close racing with open wheel cars watch Indycar.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IndyCar is like an American tv show. The big story lines are wrapped up at the end of each episode.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really digging the look of these new cars.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Take a random stab.

based on your avatar, post-millennial

based on your jaded cynicism, late Gen X/early millennial

Did I win?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't post-millennials like 15 at the oldest?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

MotoGP is extremely good right now btw

Agree. Once they actually got on the track, at least.

Poor Folger.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wondered until i was like 28 what the hell my generation would be called. Millenials in general are 10-15 years older than people think they are.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

it was mostly a dig at Stroll being a fetus

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Minto Took posted:

IndyCar is like an American tv show. The big story lines are wrapped up at the end of each episode.
They actually have a "PUSH TO PASS" button in the cars. Shameful and low class. Not like DRS.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

There are post millennials now??

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They actually have a "PUSH TO PASS" button in the cars. Shameful and low class. Not like DRS.

And turbo V6s! Thats no race car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The only form of motorsports left with no gimmicks is karting.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Since we know this thread loves hyperbole:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128682/webber-alonso-could-leave-before-end-of-year

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

There are post millennials now??

Yep, time to buy a cable subscription peepaw

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Of all the things that made him retire from the race it was a broken floor? Colour me suprised.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
it seems like the perfect year to finally gently caress off the top10 starts on Q2 tyres rule, if pit strategy is the going to decide every race

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I can barely recall the justification for why we ended up doing that in the first place other than it changed to Q2 because Mercedes was abusing it by not running in Q3. My preference would be that you get a sheet for Pirelli and check off whatever you want and can use them however you want even if that means using different compounds on certain corners of the car.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The only form of motorsports left with no gimmicks is karting.

No one ever remembers WSBK.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
i remember it being full of retarded parity bullshit and gimmicks

often italian

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

lol

All of the talkers should listen to the 5 Live Review with Seb where he says the truths. What should we take from this? Nothing.

Lewis couldn't gently caress off. We've had a thing where Lewis qualis the car up the front and then fucks off. We see the gap increasing and just inwardly sigh that once again Lewis is going to gently caress off.

He didn't gently caress off and couldn't gently caress off. The first stint until the first stop was proper tense as gently caress F1 and that's where the race was won.

People that want to see more overtakes, there was Supercar races every day. Lots of 'rubbing is racing' bullshit for you to watch.

You are a mental.

#thescudisgood #fingerboyftw #vettelftw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He has a narrative in his own head as to what this thread is saying without actually reading it. We know this because he just echoed what we were all saying but with more swearing.

Also he's missed all the conversations over the years that makes it quite clear that the average age of worst thread posters is 30+ and that if we put our minds to it we could have relatively normal conversations about our dogs, nice days out in the country, and so on and so forth.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just lol if you think sane and rational discussion can occur anywhere near F1.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Khablam posted:

Just lol if you think sane and rational discussion can occur anywhere near F1.

I never understand how of all the sports to have the weirdest and most sycophantic fan clubs just happens to be the one sport that is totally out of reach for like 98% of people.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Whitey Ford posted:

No one ever remembers WSBK.

That series that somehow manages to have 5 separate qualifying sessions every weekend?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So in Melbourne after the 3 lead cars go through to parc ferme the rest of the field lines up in the pit road. After the ceremony all the people on the main straight in front of the podium can just walk right up to the cars on the other side of the fence and take pictures. I took these with the only lens I had on me; a prime.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

He has a narrative in his own head as to what this thread is saying without actually reading it. We know this because he just echoed what we were all saying but with more swearing.

Also he's missed all the conversations over the years that makes it quite clear that the average age of worst thread posters is 30+ and that if we put our minds to it we could have relatively normal conversations about our dogs, nice days out in the country, and so on and so forth.

I have a cat.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

It's a lovely day today, so I'm going to spend my lunch break walking around the nearby lake whilst listening to classical music because that's what us olds do :cool::hf::cool:

edit: I too have a cat! and another cat. and two children. age++

enri fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 28, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dudley posted:

That series that somehow manages to have 5 separate qualifying sessions every weekend?
Yet none of them are called "qualifying"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

FIA president Jean Todt believes a lack of overtaking in Formula 1 this year may be a price worth paying for faster and more spectacular cars.

One of the downsides of the new generation of F1 cars is that drivers have found it much more difficult to pass their rivals.

Lewis Hamilton went as far as suggesting after the Australian Grand Prix that the current situation was the worst he had experienced in his 10-year F1 career.

"It is fundamental to the way the cars have been since I've been in Formula 1 but it's probably worse now than it's ever been," he said about overtaking difficulties.

"It's definitely not going to be better – it's going to be the same for the rest of the season."

Speaking to selected media ahead of the Australian GP race, Todt acknowledged that there was likely to be less passing in 2017, but did not believe that it was something too negative for the sport.

"Overtaking has always been a problem in motor racing," explained Todt. "I remember races 20 or 30 years ago, when a car with fresh tyres that was three or four seconds quicker could not pass a car with old tyres, because overtaking was difficult.

"Clearly we can figure out that overtaking will be even more difficult this year. But we have tried to find ways to make overtaking easier with DRS and other technologies.

"Maybe the new regulations will make overtaking more difficult, but maybe it was the price to pay by having wider cars with more aerodynamics."

The FIA is set to reconsider the length of DRS zones after the Chinese Grand Prix when it has a better idea about just how difficult overtaking is.

Todt has also suggested that longer term maybe F1 needs a rethink of its aero concept to ensure that future cars can follow each other more closely.

"It's something that we need to address when we are going to speak about future regulations, about whether it is a good compromise."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt-lack-of-passing-a-price-worth-paying-for-better-f1-cars-887306/

I like the sound of this Todt guy.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If i wanted to watch more passing. I'd watch another sport.

Its as if the owners and pundits of (euro) football looked at the NBA and said "Wow they score hundreds of points per game, i want that for us" and debated over wether to make the pitch 30 meters long, 15 meters wide, and the goal resized the whole width of the field. If you want NBA scoring, watch NBA, and if you want passing, watch NASCAR. I love hour long slow-burn duels decided by pit strategy, thats why i watch f1.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bring on the CDG wings!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

CratSock posted:

Bring on the CDG wings!

Please dont.

Some of the worst wings ever.

Adbot