Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gynovore posted:

I'm still hoping that, when the series comes to an end, Tandy Phil wakes up and it was all a dream. He's a low level pencil-pusher at the CDC who hates his job. Walking back from the bathroom, he passes a vault labeled DANGER! BIOHAZARD!, pauses, and smiles...

Go watch Todd Margaret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Go watch Todd Margaret

But don't watch all of it. Just watch two seasons. I won't tell you which two, but just two will be better than all three.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I am in no way excited to have a kid on the show. Also worried it'll be too dark to kill the kid off two episodes from now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was expecting it to be a deranged adult, honestly. Still feel like that's a possibility.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How long does it take to grow eyebrows back?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Santa Claus' penis is Clozapine!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I am in no way excited to have a kid on the show. Also worried it'll be too dark to kill the kid off two episodes from now.

Did we get confirmation that it's actually a kid? I thought it might be Kristen Wiig's character (whose growth is stunted / is weird as hell)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The more they assume it's a kid, the more I expect it to be an adult/not a kid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am expecting it to be a teen/adult who was a kid when the virus hit. When everyone died, he ran to his family's cabin with all his favorite toys and games.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's been only two years though I think?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

Did we get confirmation that it's actually a kid? I thought it might be Kristen Wiig's character (whose growth is stunted / is weird as hell)

Semi-spoilers, gleaned from the credits: one Keith L Williams got a guest star credit for the episode, presumably that's this guy. Entirely possible he was just a guy with the right height and the actual character we get will be someone entirely different, but this would be a really strange thing for the Wiig character to be doing, so this might well be an entirely different addition to the group.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Avalerion posted:

It's been only two years though I think?

I think it's been closer to three? IIRC, the Pamela episode had those title cards 'Year One' showing her goofing in the bunker leading to a portion of the third year spent in utter misery and isolation.

I'm guessing Cojawfee is suggesting maybe a kid that was 9/10 could have survived and is now 12/13, just living with all his toys and games alone in a shack.

E: I'm really not jazzed about the idea of a youngster joining the group, if Yoda there was indeed a kid or teen. I don't really know how they'd really mesh with the dynamic. Maybe, like, Tandy trying to take him other his wing seeing another lonely awkward kid, or Gail trying to look out for him given she lost a son before the outbreak.

Season finale is next week, right? I'm expecting some kind of gut-punch moment. Something like, Mark was actually still alive, found Lewis's note and shows up looking for him.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
There's no reason for a guy who believes himself to be the only guy on earth to go around in Yoda mask, so all I can think of is that the stress of seeing everyone die made him crack mentally, and he regressed to an 8 year old's mentality. Or something.

Heck, the series would be funnier if everyone had their own neurosis or psychosis. Todd compulsively hoards food, Carol believes she's responsible for the virus, Melissa thinks she's dating Kevin Bacon, etc. Tandy is goofy but he's the comparatively normal one.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unrelated, but whatever happened to the calf the group had?

I remember the mother died to exposure to Mike, but I remember Tandy feeding it when he got back from Tucson.

Did it die too and I just forgot?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tandy has been going around in a t-rex costume.

Though, I think most of the cast is seriously unhinged. The only ones not (so far) are Todd and Erica.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Probably a good idea to not give the kid lines yet. Lets the audience project onto him.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Did they skip an episode or something? Last week Tandy hadn't found the kid, this week he's just there wtf

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did they skip an episode or something? Last week Tandy hadn't found the kid, this week he's just there wtf

Maybe you skipped an episode? Or at least the end of last week's.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Maybe you skipped an episode? Or at least the end of last week's.

Oh, maybe my DVR cut off and I didn't realize. So the kid appeared to Tandy at the end?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Oh, maybe my DVR cut off and I didn't realize. So the kid appeared to Tandy at the end?

Tandy, Carol, and Erica are driving away and the kid pops up in the backseat and they all scream.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

He was in the back of the van as they drove away from the cabin

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oh poo poo, my bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
...aaaaaaand the show slides into mediocrity again, with about as much zazz as a Jeffersons rerun.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Gynovore posted:

...aaaaaaand the show slides into mediocrity again, with about as much zazz as a Jeffersons rerun.

yeah this episode didn't do poo poo except remind me that when you focus on Tandy for a whole episode, the show loses all the things I like about it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
his entire schtick just isnt funny. Not in the context of the world theyre living in, where we know he's not funny, but in the meta aspect of "but he's doin it anyways!!" it's just loving weak every time. He hasn't had a decent piece of screentime since the pilot when he snapped back to reality for a second with the mannequin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is this show just one long series of "what if this happened?" being put to a script no matter how bad the idea is?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I wonder if Forte knows he's not funny, and keeps banging on to keep the money and chicks coming... or whether he somehow thinks he's still funny, like a 2017 version of Margaret Cho.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Tandy and Carol are actually the only funny people on the show and the more we see them (at least not being intentional assholes), the better.

This last episode had some amusing Will Forte scenes and then a couple bland Todd ones interspersed. I just don't really find the supporting cast funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think what happens with this show is we get a few uncut gems throughout each episode to keep us going until we get those phenomenal episodes that make us forget how meh the average week is :shrug:

I still like it though

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Tandy and Carol are actually the only funny people on the show and the more we see them (at least not being intentional assholes), the better.

This last episode had some amusing Will Forte scenes and then a couple bland Todd ones interspersed. I just don't really find the supporting cast funny.

Carol is the worst for me. Her whole 'Gail is my mom now!' shtick just annoys me. I mean they did explain it, mother dead, baby on the way, but her butting around Todd and Gail was just ugh.

I didn't mind Tandy this week, at least his overdone antics were done due to trying to appeal to a (likely severely) traumatized kid. And I liked the little touch when he was bribing him at dinner 'And what do we say?' and Jasper signed 'thank you' in ASL. Wondering if Tandy drilled him on that off-screen.

But the past two episodes just seem to... I dunno, stall? Two episodes where they try to entice/appeal to the kid, and all of the other characters just seems like the episode just does a quick check on them 'yep they're still here!' At least Erica might actually have something to do now.

The show's on hiatus until the 23rd. Anybody know what's up with that? I don't think it's any playoff season or any awards shows coming up. Just general Fox scheduling fuckery?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I like Kristen Schaal and at least Carol's schtick is that she's a huge weirdo but a generally a somewhat ordinary (if a little annoying) person, but Tandy's schtick is basically that he's a completely useless idiot who is also a pathological liar, incredibly irritating, borderline psychotic and very selfish, regardless of funny or not (not) it's a completely unsympathetic character and a bizarre choice for the show's lead.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I like Kristen Schaal and at least Carol's schtick is that she's a huge weirdo but a generally a somewhat ordinary (if a little annoying) person, but Tandy's schtick is basically that he's a completely useless idiot who is also a pathological liar, incredibly irritating, borderline psychotic and very selfish, regardless of funny or not (not) it's a completely unsympathetic character and a bizarre choice for the show's lead.

I think the show would be most funny if they focused on Tandy's character flaws. Say, before the virus he was a bit squirrelly, but after the shock of seeing everyone die plus the freedom of having no one around to tell him what to do, he goes kinda nuts. In half the shows, there's no one else; he drives around the country, talking to balls, gorging on pork rinds at Wal-Mart, going into art museums and vandalizing famous paintings, just being insane. Every other show he stumbles on one or a group of survivors, and tries to ingratiate himself with them, but also steal their stuff and boink the women. And they kick him out after a while, or else his ineptitude kills them.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 3, 2017

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
It's really strange, I keep watching this show and I don't know why.
It must have some of the most annoying main characters in history of television, but still there's something there that makes you want to watch.
Probably because that end of the world premise is so interesting, and has so many possibilities, which they rarely use.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So yeah I posted this reply in the wrong thread but anywaaaaays let's try this again.

Melissa had the best line of the episode, well it wasn't so much a line but the smirk she gave when they saw it was cigarettes that Tandy was giving to jasper.

Plus carol telling gayle she will watch her like a hog, then oinking for emphasis.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mrfart posted:

It's really strange, I keep watching this show and I don't know why.
It must have some of the most annoying main characters in history of television, but still there's something there that makes you want to watch.
Probably because that end of the world premise is so interesting, and has so many possibilities, which they rarely use.

Lewis dying was pretty much the end for me. It showed they had no interest (or budget) to actually move the show in an interesting direction.

Adding a kid is just the worst.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
But adding a young child always rejuvenates a stagnant show!

LadyPictureShow posted:

The show's on hiatus until the 23rd. Anybody know what's up with that? I don't think it's any playoff season or any awards shows coming up. Just general Fox scheduling fuckery?

Do they do test cancellations? Like "We'll just see if anyone notices this is gone"?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nothing on Fox's Sunday lineup is new until the 23rd. Blame sweeps and Easter.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I'm still digging this show through the ups and downs because I never really know what to expect from week to week, and I laugh at over half the jokes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

try the new taco place posted:

I'm still digging this show through the ups and downs because I never really know what to expect from week to week, and I laugh at over half the jokes.

Yeah, same. For me the highs are so far above the lows that it still comes out above average for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I can't think of a show that oscillates more between being really good and really bad. Often several times in a single episode.

• Locked thread