Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for roughly the cost of the f-35 program we could have built 4 - 500 AP1000* reactors, which is enough capacity to turn off every single coal plant in america.

we don't have a tech problem, we have a "how do you get large groups of humans to make good decisions" problem

* assuming 3 - 4 billion each, the running cost of the latest ones being built now. presumably building hundreds of them at once could be done a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, except the AP1000 is a garbage design which is mired in flaws, bankrupted Westinghouse, and almost took down fuckin' Toshiba. It's incredibly unsafe, laughably so given the absolutely ludicrous cost to build one.

We could build novel reactors not based on the need to breed nuclear weapons fuel, *cough* Molten Salt *cough*, but that doesn't jive with the US military industrial complex.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 28, 2017

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Quibbling about the specific reactor aside, the USA could build enough reactors to completely displace fossil fuel electricity. It is feasible.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea the point was to use real world price examples not to get into a sperg off over nuke plant design (again, for like the 20th time this thread)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
That's some fine cognitive dissonance, sure.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Don't worry folks, things are looking up - as long as you ignore the ah... historical data anyway...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

You can put it on floating barges at the north pole to replace all the melted sea ice
You'd get more bang for your buck placing them on the Equator.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

vermin posted:

I guess I'm just hopin we discover how to pull energy out of the universe's rear end in the next few decades :(

We've already discovered this one. Bad but powerfully rich people would rather have short term gain at the expense of the world, though :(

Like if releasing the stored energy in atoms isn't pulling energy out of the universe's rear end, I don't know what is

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, good luck finding all that paint and then convincing everyone on the planet that they should paint everything white with it.

Just tell them we're going to roleplay the Roman Empire, who, as we know thanks to Hollywood, had everything in white: white toga's, white statues, white buildings, white roads.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You'd get more bang for your buck placing them on the Equator.

isnt there some kind of paint we can just dump into the ocean that floats instead of wasting time with boats

a white ocean would be pretty cool, or at least cooler than the blue ocean

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rime posted:

Yeah, except the AP1000 is a garbage design which is mired in flaws, bankrupted Westinghouse, and almost took down fuckin' Toshiba. It's incredibly unsafe, laughably so given the absolutely ludicrous cost to build one.

We could build novel reactors not based on the need to breed nuclear weapons fuel, *cough* Molten Salt *cough*, but that doesn't jive with the US military industrial complex.
We could do a lot of things, but the point was that we don't, even changes that are pretty fiscally doable right now without massing changes to standards of living in the US. Not politically doable, sure.

NewForumSoftware posted:

isnt there some kind of paint we can just dump into the ocean that floats instead of wasting time with boats

Yeah, I really really don't want to find out what that'd do to algae production.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I really really don't want to find out what that'd do to algae production.

What if...we genetically engineer algae...to be white instead of green...and then we

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Do rising sea levels help dilute acidification at all? Maybe we want this, goons

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

NewForumSoftware posted:

Aren't there creatures that rely on photosynthesis down to like at least 100 meters? Reflecting all the sunlight off the surface of the ocean seems like it could be, uh, problematic for ecosystems.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Paradoxish posted:

Aren't there creatures that rely on photosynthesis down to like at least 100 meters? Reflecting all the sunlight off the surface of the ocean seems like it could be, uh, problematic for ecosystems.

well if the oceans are going to die anyways we might as well have it occur with more balmy land temperatures

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rime posted:

Hell you could build French Surrender Reactors EPRs at the current 300% price premium and make a pretty good effort.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Accretionist posted:

Do rising sea levels help dilute acidification at all? Maybe we want this, goons

Not really, it's a partial pressure problem rather than a quantity problem. If you treat "atmospheric CO2", "sea level" and "water CO2" in the aggregate it won't matter much.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If anyone wants to be further depressed, here is a link to today's executive order gutting anything to do with climate change:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/28/presidential-executive-order-promoting-energy-independence-and-economi-1

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Number_6 posted:

If anyone wants to be further depressed, here is a link to today's executive order gutting anything to do with climate change:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/28/presidential-executive-order-promoting-energy-independence-and-economi-1

nah that should make people angry

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don't get angry. I just get sad.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't get angry. I just get sad.

Get loving pissed you jackass. Let the hatred flow.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Al Gore 2 - "I Was Right Motherfuckers" Boogaloo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX1bmfdkyA

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Rime posted:

Al Gore 2 - "I Was Right Motherfuckers" Boogaloo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX1bmfdkyA

The comments on this one.... now that's depressing!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

frytechnician posted:

The comments on this one.... now that's depressing!

Humanity deserves extinction.

edit: sorry I thought this was the Trump! thread, my bad!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Salt Fish posted:

Humanity deserves extinction.

edit: sorry I thought this was the Trump! thread, my bad!

I don't think anyone can tell these threads apart anymore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah death comes for us all but especially over the next thousand years.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Ha yes at last, now I can finally get back to being a barista. Researching climate change for a government agency was boring anyway!

(It really was.)

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Out of curiosity... how do you feel about this now?

Fasdar posted:

May 4, 2016
I say this because I'm increasingly of the mind that the worst impacts of climate change will be moot from our civilization's perspective when the various ultra-nationalists and other xenophobic political fronts start to gain majority power in major industrialized countries as a result of even moderate up-ticks in global refugee flows.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
I mean, that is an impact of climate change.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Evil_Greven posted:

Out of curiosity... how do you feel about this now?

Still pretty confident that the wealthy and ultra-privileged will kill us all in a panicky poo poo fit, if that's what you're asking? The rise of reactionary rightwing groups would've been a risk factor even in an egalitarian, largely equal society with strong institutions. We're in a grossly unequal society whose institutions and capacity for accurately depicting the reality of our world are both being systematically dismantled. This poo poo is like the scene in rag-tag sports movies where the good guys' gear is sabotaged before the big game.

The Trump situation is interesting, however, in that it has galvanized the left and the scientific subset of society in a way that is moderately hopeful. However, we haven't really even begun to see the major refugee crisis we'll be dealing with by 2040ish. If Trump, Le Pen, Brexit, and all the other dumb poo poo serves as some sort of inoculation against rightwing apocalypticism, then great! But the mechanical push and pull of societies being brought to their limits will happen whether we're monstrous about it or not.

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 30, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I know clathrate gun shenanigans and the proceeding funyuns will be the demise of pretty much everything, but I just saw that Guy McPherson video of him saying we could possibly only have 10 years left o___0

Can things really spiral out of control that quickly? I was hoping I had another 30 at the least, ffs man lol

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

bef posted:

So I know clathrate gun shenanigans and the proceeding funyuns will be the demise of pretty much everything, but I just saw that Guy McPherson video of him saying we could possibly only have 10 years left o___0

Can things really spiral out of control that quickly? I was hoping I had another 30 at the least, ffs man lol

We know that in the past, the earth has warmed by as much as 5 degrees over 30-40 years. So it is possible for things to get very bad very quick but, uncertainties are very large.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bef posted:

There are a lot of things that could theoretically speed things up but they're all in the extremely unlikely category.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bef posted:

Can things really spiral out of control that quickly?

Let's hope so! :pray:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

There are a lot of things that could theoretically speed things up but they're all in the extremely unlikely category.

So was Trump.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are there any viable co2 sequestration technologies other than for use in enhanced oil recovery?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
GE just came out and said they are sticking to the emissions standards established under Obama. For what it's worth....

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Fasdar,

That was what I was talking about, indeed. Thank you for your feedback.

bef posted:

There was some discussion about this awhile back (and not just that post, keep reading).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Saint Fu posted:

Are there any viable co2 sequestration technologies other than for use in enhanced oil recovery?

One can significantly boost carbon biomass production in land based plants seemingly without solar and gas diffusion being a bottleneck. I assume something similar could be done with photosynthesizing algae etc. There are lots of funny ways one can bioengineer organisms if you disregard commercial and evolutionarily beneficial traits and couple it with loose regulation.

The biggest drawback on this approach is the speed of deployment/action and the disruption of the ecosystems.

No the polls had them pretty close, the margin it was just magnified by the media narrative. And let's not forget, most did vote for Hillary, in almost the same ratio as the polls predicted. Just not in the states needed for her to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Zudgemud posted:

One can significantly boost carbon biomass production in land based plants seemingly without solar and gas diffusion being a bottleneck. I assume something similar could be done with photosynthesizing algae etc. There are lots of funny ways one can bioengineer organisms if you disregard commercial and evolutionarily beneficial traits and couple it with loose regulation.

The biggest drawback on this approach is the speed of deployment/action and the disruption of the ecosystems.
I meant more along the lines of taking stack flue gas from stationary sources and sequestering the co2.