Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Someone at From really likes long falls that should kill you doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
wow the first part of this DLC is really a gigantic gently caress you if you don't have upgraded vigor (like my mage character who has just the default one). Gonna be honest, I think this DLC is gonna rank the lowest with me due to how gimmicky the first part of it is. I mean, now I have to dodge tracking angel lasers and I get cursed if I stand still in a poison swamp?, this isn't "Dark Souls" its lower quality video game bullshit. How disappointing for the final DLC entry :(

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How the hell do I deal with the archers?

Spermando fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 28, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't tell what the gently caress is going on in this boss fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell what the gently caress is going on in this area.

Surely I must be missing something, but it just feels like they went whole hog on the "Dark Souls is difficult" thing :suicide:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Desperate Character posted:

wow the first part of this DLC is really a gigantic gently caress you if you don't have upgraded vigor (like my mage character who has just the default one). Gonna be honest, I think this DLC is gonna rank the lowest with me due to how gimmicky the first part of it is. I mean, now I have to dodge tracking angel lasers and I get cursed if I stand still in a poison swamp?, this isn't "Dark Souls" its lower quality video game bullshit. How disappointing for the final DLC entry :(

spoilers about what you're talking about here:

1: there is a way to kill the angels.

2: look around for weird red worm/leech things. they can be kinda out of the way / hiding... kill them, and this seems to kill the angel nearby?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does everything in the first area just respawn all the time 🤔

Also this DLC runs like poo poo on a normal PS4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beat the first boss but did not have fun doing it.

The year is 2017 and From is still making fights where it feels like the camera is my main enemy.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone at From really likes long falls that should kill you doing nothing.

Falling makes up 60% of this dlc

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I was really into the first half of this DLC and I started what appears to be the second half and man, this bit right here? At the start? Hot Garbage.

Edit: Oh, that's how you do it. That's still not great. Turns out you can safely get up to the duder if you fall off the cliff to the right. That wasn't obvious at all.

mdct fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 28, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
not buying the dlc today bc I have too much other poo poo to play and do right now but does the Final Chapter of the Dark Souls Saga clarify or bring anything full-circle, or is it just them adding more cool stuff and new characters on without resolving anything

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

wizard on a water slide posted:

not buying the dlc today bc I have too much other poo poo to play and do right now but does the Final Chapter of the Dark Souls Saga clarify or bring anything full-circle, or is it just them adding more cool stuff and new characters on without resolving anything

Smart money says it's like literally every other piece of dark souls content.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the dlc for dark souls 1 and bloodborne both made those games make more sense so :shrug:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I want to play the DLC but just don't have it in me right now to play through Dark Souls 3 for the millionth time. What's the most low effort way to get through the game. I thought I could just summon a bunch and it would go quick but I rarely see summon signs on the PS4. Managed to grab one for Deacons after like 5 minutes but can't find a single one for Abyss Watchers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so what's the deal with the new covenant I heard about? I like to invade but if there's nothing new to it I'll just come back to the dlc later after finishing nier

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a trick to the swamp or are you really just supposed to run like gently caress, avoiding enemies and 'trial and error' your way around until you can find the angel bodies? It feels like the opposite of the usual design of these games and I don't like it, I hope I'm missing something :ohdear:

Also what the actual gently caress that first boss. I beat it with 0 Estus left, it was a clusterfuck of a multi-mob fight and I couldn't figure out how to deal with it since sometimes they both attacked me sometimes one just hung out in the back? Anyway, I beat it. OH YOU THOUGHT YOU BEAT IT, HERE'S PHASE 2. Instantly died to a laser :byewhore:

My character is level 110 and I'm wearing proper armor and using a +10 weapon with a quality build (40/40) and enemies are still two-shotting me, and with the more beefy enemies and boss I'm dealing so little damage. They really wanted this to be hard as balls huh?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
this first boss is very tough and cool. just like the dlc.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Carmant posted:

I want to play the DLC but just don't have it in me right now to play through Dark Souls 3 for the millionth time. What's the most low effort way to get through the game. I thought I could just summon a bunch and it would go quick but I rarely see summon signs on the PS4. Managed to grab one for Deacons after like 5 minutes but can't find a single one for Abyss Watchers.

What's your PS4 name there's a bunch of us that password under LASERTAG

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Martian Manfucker posted:

this first boss is very tough and cool. just like the dlc.

I don't like the first phase at all, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Anyway, as much as I got owned on my first attempt (as is tradition) I killed him surprisingly easily on the second attempt. Had half my Estus left and everything. Even if I don't like the first phase, I really like that he keeps the same moveset (but cranked to 11) in the second phase. Good fight, but maybe a bit easy actually?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

so what's the deal with the new covenant I heard about? I like to invade but if there's nothing new to it I'll just come back to the dlc later after finishing nier

Remember what I said about it being an invasion covenant? Well, instead of invading in the world, you invade into a mandatory boss fight required to finish the DLC. You're basically the last stand against other players getting to the Dark Soul. You have to beat the optional boss to get the covenant, though. :getin:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Re: the first boss. The Demons aren't super aggressive themselves. The one that tries to melee you isn't particularly dangerous; its attacks aren't really all that wide-sweeping and can be avoided by sticking close to its sides. They also tend to move forward and not stop, so sidestepping that means it basically can't hit you. They also don't have that much health and are very easy to stagger into visceral attacks: just stay aggressive. The Demon Prince phase is the real fight, having about twice or three times as much health as the two demons phase and is much more aggressive and has a lot of fire spells! I think sticking to it like glue so you mostly have to deal with its melee is the better plan than letting it do anything special - and just like before, it's easy enough to stagger.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Also, given his pluckiness and astounding strength, it appears that ADELBERT STEINER will be the first to head into the DLC. March on, brave Knight of Pluto! Your armor's rusty enough as it is, you'll blend in!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Reached the titular city and I only have one word: :magical:

Calling it now, this DLC owns. My :siren:LORE:siren: sensors are going haywire.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Re: the first boss. The Demons aren't super aggressive themselves. The one that tries to melee you isn't particularly dangerous; its attacks aren't really all that wide-sweeping and can be avoided by sticking close to its sides. They also tend to move forward and not stop, so sidestepping that means it basically can't hit you. They also don't have that much health and are very easy to stagger into visceral attacks: just stay aggressive. The Demon Prince phase is the real fight, having about twice or three times as much health as the two demons phase and is much more aggressive and has a lot of fire spells! I think sticking to it like glue so you mostly have to deal with its melee is the better plan than letting it do anything special - and just like before, it's easy enough to stagger.

To add to this, there is no "one that tries to melee". They both have the same moveset. What seems to determine whether they like to hang back or chase you is whether or not they're on fire. I don't know how/when they start burning, whether it's random or tied to HP or whatnot but they'll scream when it happens. After they've been burning for a while they'll do a slam attack with an AoE explosion which puts out the fire, causing them to prefer hanging back and casting spells again. I would love to find out what causes it because both times I did the fight I ended up with a couple of phases where they were both on fire and chasing me, and that was not very fun.

As for the second phase, he has the same moveset as the smaller ones with a couple of additions. He has a grab attack (with a fairly obvious tell) and a laser attack. Sticking to his butt at all times is key, as you can just walk under many of his attacks without even dodging. When he does the laser, if you're quick to sprint to his back then you can get a ton of free hits in (and probably stagger him for even more damage with a riposte). When he flies into the air for a slam, run towards him and he'll fly past you.

e: also heck yes, DS2 fashion. :swoon:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 28, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Going to start this on my NG +2 character, here's to hoping i don't die a horrible death.

I'm pretty excited, I want to see the complete end of this trilogy that I absolutely love playing and admiring the ruined architecture and poo poo.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So I'm getting stomped hard on my level 80 pyro that snuck in from the first dlc area. Looking at my other guys, I have a 100 magic guy with 60int, a level 125 that is only through first dlc on ng+(oh ya, that's why it was tough), and a 141 with ng+ cleared but had not done first dlc.

Made it to the first boss on the pyro and think I might just come back at a higher level after pumping up hp.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So when you're trying to coop with a friend and you have passwords on and you can't see any signs are you just poo poo out of luck until the servers decide to git gud?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Weeping Wound posted:

Remember what I said about it being an invasion covenant? Well, instead of invading in the world, you invade into a mandatory boss fight required to finish the DLC. You're basically the last stand against other players getting to the Dark Soul. You have to beat the optional boss to get the covenant, though. :getin:

that rules. so like old monk basically?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...I wonder what will happen if I try to use that invasion type while not in the proper area.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

2 hours on ps4. Jealous.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
This poo poo is hosed. God drat these ghost archers.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

that rules. so like old monk basically?

Seems to be that way!

edit: And it looks like you can reset the encounter too at some statue somewhere in the Ringed City, so if you want to fight people in some Spear of the Church PVP, you can do that!

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The DLC's atmosphere is awesome so far. If there's one thing From has always been real good at, it's making locations that really sell "it's the end of the motherfuckin world, pal".

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How far in is the giant hammer of giantness? I've made it up to the first boss, but that is about all I can do tonight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently DS3 either doesn't have steam cloudsaves or I accidentally turned them off or something because my new computer doesn't have the saves

Any particularly fun weapons I'm unlikely to have used that I should build around for the new file I'll be making for the DLC?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't expect this DLC to become A Bug's Life.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is it true that the DLC weapons all have largely orthodox movesets and it's just the Weapon Arts that are unique or unusual? That's a bit disappointing if that's the case.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, the third boss is awesome. I legit didn't see it coming.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This angel can go gently caress itself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uggghhhhhh I went like 2 hours without finding a bonfire or shortcut, amassing 200k souls and then I was invaded by a silver knight with The Hammer and got one-shot. Good grief.

What the absolute gently caress are you supposed to do about the hordes of fatties? They take something like 50 hits to kill and they can two-shot me even at level 120. I know you can drop on their head for an instakill but that doesn't help me when there's nowhere to drop off and there's 6 of them

I'm loving almost everything about this, but I'm not digging how ridiculously high damage and health everything has. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How do you get in? The Kiln bonfires don't seem to do anything special