Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Guess I'll just get a Moto G5+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Armor-Piercing posted:

Would I be able to import a G5+ to Canada and use it without any problems (on Public Mobile)?

My Nexus 5 gave up last week, and I've got a G4+ arriving soon to replace it, but it looks like I can actually get the G5+ shipped here from Amazon.com for cheaper than just slightly more than buying the G4+ locally, which seems like the better choice. Maybe not for warranty though?

I can't actually answer your question, but if you're on GSM (like t-mobile or ATT here) or CDMA (verizon or sprint) look up the normal bands for those to see if your carrier's bands are compatible. The g5+ supports all of those.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

E2M2 posted:

Woops I guess I got that confused with their routers that look similar

Don't be silly, Google Home looks like an air freshener, their wifi routers look like toothbrush holders, they're completely different.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Verizon Pixel
March 5th security patch.

Did a factory reset the other night. Now I seem to have the old Pixel launcher with the full search bar and no weather widget.

So I did 3 more resets and update rounds trying to fix it. No dice. Can't update or uninstall Pixel launcher to prod it into updating.

Any ideas? I just want my stupid weather widget and Google button.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So was the first factory reset just for fun, or...?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Laranzu posted:

Verizon Pixel
March 5th security patch.

Did a factory reset the other night. Now I seem to have the old Pixel launcher with the full search bar and no weather widget.

So I did 3 more resets and update rounds trying to fix it. No dice. Can't update or uninstall Pixel launcher to prod it into updating.

Any ideas? I just want my stupid weather widget and Google button.

Can you screenshot the baseband and build version from the settings -> about phone screen?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

redreader posted:

I can't actually answer your question, but if you're on GSM (like t-mobile or ATT here) or CDMA (verizon or sprint) look up the normal bands for those to see if your carrier's bands are compatible. The g5+ supports all of those.
Thanks for this. I took a look at the Telus network info and everything looked compatible, and the G5+ appears to cover everything my Nexus 5 did anyway, so I placed the order.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Can you screenshot the baseband and build version from the settings -> about phone screen?

Apparently someone else in the Pixel support forum did a factory reset and ran into the same issue just now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Have you waited a good bit to let the phone updated all of its apps including the Google app?

That usually changes the way the Google Icon/search stuff looks and works on its own.

If anything, you could also flash a factory image over ADB to make sure the latest and everything with it is installed correctly.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Have you tried contacting Google support?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
There any alternatives to moto g5 with NFC in the same price range? I dont want to go back to using my wallet like some primitive.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Duggler posted:

Have you tried contacting Google support?

Just the support forums so far
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUs1gqF2pMOalY/?hl=by

Phone pulled all updates, including a new Google app that released today.

It really seems like some dependency hell based on the order of the flood of updates when it first comes up.

On first boot there are a few errors thrown regarding app objects that can't start until something else gets updated.

Edit: Reddit seems to think it's on purpose as a test

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/61nwsy/weather_gone_now_i_have_a_long_search_bar_anyone/

Edit Edit:

Clearing the Pixel Launcher's App Data actually worked.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 27, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/27/galaxy-note7-will-return-refurbished-device/
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15072560/samsung-note-7-refurbished-device-recyling-announced
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...l-0813-11000279

“The objective of introducing refurbished devices is solely to reduce and minimize any environmental impact,” Samsung told The Verge in a statement. It also hinted that the phone may be renamed entirely when more details are unveiled. “The product details including the name, technical specification and price range will be announced when the device is available. Samsung will not be offering refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices for rent or sale in the US.”

Rest in piss, Note 7 Rebels

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I have four Nexus 5x devices in my family. This thread got me all paranoid and I picked up a Nextbit Robin for $150 as a hot spare. Am I a bad person? Seems like the camera is just not as good, otherwise it's mostly the same as the 5x now that it at least has nougat.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Just got done Live Chatting with a Google rep on my Pixel. Turns out that the app I'm using somehow doesn't work with Android's Do Not Disturb settings and will override no matter what. How come Android even allows this to happen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

Just got done Live Chatting with a Google rep on my Pixel. Turns out that the app I'm using somehow doesn't work with Android's Do Not Disturb settings and will override no matter what. How come Android even allows this to happen?

Are you asking whether I can imagine a scenario where I'd want an app to be able to override the system "do not disturb" setting? Yeah, sure, it'd be nice to be able to set granular do not disturb by setting the system setting then exempting certain apps, since I don't think you can set app-specific settings in the system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

Because alarms are rightfully a special class of notification/event and having a "everything but alarms" function is good if you use your phone as an alarm clock and don't want every email lighting/vibrating/making noise but still want to have the alarm wake you up. It's sort of an unintended effect to have a lovely developer presumably abusing that alarm class so that you can't suppress them, but the alternative is potentially having users miss alarms.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I just looked up and you're talking about Snapchat. Are you referring to the fact it wakes the screen up for a notification? You disable that within the Snapchat options, not the OS.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I understand, and appreciate, why someone would want an app or function to override DND. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the operating system that allows an app to override.

I'm pretty sure iOS alarms still work with DND on, but the iPhone only has one DND setting and doesn't even have an option for allowing third party apps to override. Guess it's a side effect of more choice.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just looked up and you're talking about Snapchat. Are you referring to the fact it wakes the screen up for a notification? You disable that within the Snapchat options, not the OS.

Just checked Snapchat settings. I can disable "wake screen" but I want it to wake my screen if I get a notification. I just don't want it to do so when DND is on.

Also, some apps do what I can only describe as a "soft" wake. Where the black and white screen comes on. Snapchat wakes it up where it's full color with my wallpaper and everything. I don't want that. Doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wish you luck with your transition from iOS to Android.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Just checked Snapchat settings. I can disable "wake screen" but I want it to wake my screen if I get a notification. I just don't want it to do so when DND is on.

Also, some apps do what I can only describe as a "soft" wake. Where the black and white screen comes on. Snapchat wakes it up where it's full color with my wallpaper and everything. I don't want that. Doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate.

You can't do what you're wanting. If you disable Snapchat's "wake screen" from within the app, it will appear as a normal notification (ie. like a text message) and will not wake the screen no matter what. You cannot have it only wake the screen when not on DND mode, the app doesn't support that. Sorry.

e: the "soft wake" you're referring to is a feature of ambient display, I have that disabled myself since I don't like/need it so I don't experience that. Snapchat fully wakes with wallpaper/colour because that's how the app does it if you enable that "wake screen" option.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I think I miscommunicated what I want

If Do Not Disturb is off:
- All apps to give me notifications via ambient display (or fully waking the screen, whatever)

If Do Not Disturb is on:
- No apps vibrate my phone or turn the screen on whatsoever (LED notifications are fine)
- If I choose to enable an app to allow notifications via an override, I would like those apps to wake the screen in ambient mode. All other apps should do nothing to my phone.

This behavior is what I'm currently experiencing, except that Snapchat is disobeying DND being turned on even though it doesn't have permission to do so in Android notification settings system-wide.

Hopefully that's a bit more clear.

e: now I'm seeing where you said "the app doesn't support that" which is what makes me confused. Shouldn't Android impose this on all apps as a rule? Are there any rules on Android for obeying system settings?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ShoogaSlim posted:

- All apps to give me notifications via ambient display (or fully waking the screen, whatever)

If Do Not Disturb is on:
- No apps vibrate my phone or turn the screen on whatsoever (LED notifications are fine)
- If I choose to enable an app to allow notifications via an override, I would like those apps to wake the screen in ambient mode. All other apps should do nothing to my phone.

This behavior is what I'm currently experiencing, except that Snapchat is disobeying DND being turned on even though it doesn't have permission to do so in Android notification settings system-wide.

e: now I'm seeing where you said "the app doesn't support that" which is what makes me confused. Shouldn't Android impose this on all apps as a rule? Are there any rules on Android for obeying system settings?

It is dumb that that doesn't work, but lighting up the screen when a notification comes in is not standard Android practice (in the past the notification light made that unnecessary). Snapchat is trying to emulate an iOS practice on Android.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Technically, what's allowing it to do what it's doing is part of the app permissions it's requesting.

Essentially, it asks for greater permissions than a normal app of this type to override system level settings in the name of emulating what it does on iOS. When it does that though, it has no clue about things like DnD and just ignores them.

Specially in this case it is likely the Change Audio Settings permission that's allowing it to override DnD for audio alerts.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 28, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Interesting. I know that there is a HELL of a lot for me to learn about how Android operates. Apologies for displaying frustration and asking what very well may be dumb newbie questions. All of the responses are appreciated. I bought the Pixel to fill the usability gaps I was experiencing on iOS but also to have a better understanding of Android as an ecosystem.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Had to do a hard factory reset of my Galaxy S7 edge because it stopped connecting to data or phone service (????), and now that I'm redownloading and reconfiguring everything I'm looking for a new text messaging app and a new keyboard because I hate Samsung's crap.

Previously used QKCTXT or whatever the hell it's called and SwiftKeyboard. I am open to new suggestions! Sway me, goons~

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gboard and Android Messages

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
i like gboard because you can set it as onehanded mode. I'm sure a lot of other apps do that, but i'm not gonna go searching for some xCoolxBoardx trash orwhatever. I also use textra because text messages weren't going through on some apps, but textra seems to workaround a bug in the APN stuff I think.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

darkhand posted:

i like gboard because you can set it as onehanded mode. I'm sure a lot of other apps do that, but i'm not gonna go searching for some xCoolxBoardx trash orwhatever. I also use textra because text messages weren't going through on some apps, but textra seems to workaround a bug in the APN stuff I think.

Swiped from swift key. First time with one thumb. No typos.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

If Do Not Disturb is on:

I could be mistaken, but stopping Snapchat from turning on the screen should achieve what you're looking for, it should notify you through ambient display instead.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Is the moto G4 still an attractive low cost phone? It's for my daughters 12th birthday. She currently has a fire phone, so anything is an upgrade.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

Is the moto G4 still an attractive low cost phone? It's for my daughters 12th birthday. She currently has a fire phone, so anything is an upgrade.

Moto G5+ comes out literally, real-literally, this week.
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5t...eywords=moto+g5

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

adorai posted:

What are you willing to spend? The G5+ is so affordable I can't see a reason to buy a G4.

Oovee posted:

There any alternatives to moto g5 with NFC in the same price range? I dont want to go back to using my wallet like some primitive.

ZTE V8 Pro?
GSMArena gave it a pretty okay review. I think it's GSM only. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7IW7JX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_68E2yb3JAKBZR

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2017

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So what are the changes wit this new os?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

What are you willing to spend? The G5+ is so affordable I can't see a reason to buy a G4.

ZTE V8 Pro?
GSMArena gave it a pretty okay review. I think it's GSM only. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7IW7JX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_68E2yb3JAKBZR

Just curious what the Blade may offer over the G5+?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Just curious what the Blade may offer over the G5+?

Judging from the context, I assume nfc

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

adorai posted:

Like others have said the G5 is coming soon but I have the G4 and it's a great phone and I really recommend the Moto G line as long as you're not wanting to do the whole VR/High end phone gaming thing. It's cheap, got a big screen, and it's powerful enough that it's not annoying to use. Battery life is nice too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Judging from the context, I assume nfc

It also has a slightly larger 5.5inch display, as well as a USB-C port (QC2.0). Honestly, it seems like a pretty decent phone. I know some goons here have the Axon 7 and seem to like it, other than that phone though, I haven't given ZTE much thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is there any other keyboard that works similar to gBoard (with the gif implimentation at least and maybe one handed) but has the swipe gestures of Flesky?

Keep trying to get used to gBoard but dammit if its autocorrect is terrible, punctuation is a pain in the rear end to do, and the only issue I really have with Flesky is it has terrible gif/emoji sending (you search a much worse gif database, then it has to be shared like your sharing a pic instead of native like gboard does it.) and I guess Flesky gets slow at times in places like Chrome or something, but for the most part, being able to swipe back and up/down for punctuation/autocorrect suggestions is immensely easier than dealing with all the miss taps and weird autocorrect choices.

Really if Flesky and gboard could have a baby, that would be great.

Fleskboard? glesky? fboard? hmmm